Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Let's Play Yoshi's Highland or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the RNG

Hey everyone! One of my favorite games of all time is Yoshi's Island for the SNES. It's regarded as one of the best games on the system, featuring over 50 very well put-together levels, a great soundtrack, and fluid controls that really tie everything together. It's a classic, and I've played through it countless times. Recently, though, one of my friends messaged me, telling me that he had come across a romhack that I should blindly record. So I got him on voice chat, loaded the rom, and got to it. And oh, what a joy it is.

This romhack really changes two small things about three game, so if you were concerned that this would be a poorly done blind playthrough, the real blind aspect goes out the window within the few minutes of gameplay. These two things are that enemies and objects randomly load in to the game, and every object has random velocity. It sounds like a dumb gimmick, and I really wasn't sure how fun it would actually be, but within only a few minutes I knew I wanted to play through the entire thing!

Joining me on this voyage is a good buddy of mine who goes by Gea on the internet, who will be playing along simultaneously. Unfortunately, we didn't have him record his screen for the first world, because we were unsure if it would be a one-off kind of thing or not. We'll have his screen for world 2 and on for double the randomness. So far, though, it's been a really fun fuckaround project, and we're excited to continue. If you would like to play this glorious hack for yourself, you can find it here: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?103766-Nintendo-SNES-Mod-Yoshi-s-Highland-NTSC-U

Episode list:

Episode 1-A: World 1, stages 1-4
Episode 1-B: World 1, stages 5-8
Episode 1-C: World 1's Bosses
Episode 2-A: World 2, stages 1-4
Episode 2-B: World 2, stages 5-8
Episode 3-A: World 3, stages 1-4
Episode 3-B: World 3, stages 5-8
Episode 4-A: World 4, stages 1-4
Episode 4-B: World 4, stages 5-8

Additional stuff:

:pcgaming:ALL HAIL NNirint●ter:pcgaming:

Thank you for watching!

heytallman fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This is an amazing hack and I can't wait for more. :allears:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Looks like it's another one of those "Chaos Edition" series of video games.

This will be glorious. :dance:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this looks like it's going to be lots of fun. Or at least lots of schadenfreude, which is close enough.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I don't think I could record myself playing this, because I'd have a laughing fit the entire time I'm playing. This is dumbly entertaining for such a simple concept. Props for keeping so calm when reality is tearing itself asunder.

Extra kudos for recognizing who Muddy Buddy is. :coolfish:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The chain of events that lead to you being Mario-less in that castle is one of the most sublimely perfect moments I've seen in an LP. The RNG lined up just right to make it seem like swallowing Mario rewarded you with a 1up. Hours later I'm still laughing at that.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
:siren::siren:UPDATE ALERT!!!:siren::siren:

Episode 1-C: World 1's Bosses

In this mini-update, I go back and look at the bosses we missed in the first world's videos. I'm working on getting world 2 edited together and published, so hopefully that will be coming soon too.

Thank y'all for digging the LP so far! I've enjoyed seeing all the positive feedback.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
It's pretty amazing when having a boss transform into a rotating hexagon and a pair of floating eyes is considered a slow day.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oof. Any fights that rely on an egg flower are going to get real exciting.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Glazius posted:

Oof. Any fights that rely on an egg flower are going to get real exciting.

Yeah, I'm afraid that Sluggy the Unshaven is going to be a real tough fight here. And that is a LONG level, too, given how hard it is to get the middle rings sometimes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Since getting 100% on any level in this hack is out of the question, at least you won't have to deal with any of the secret levels. Kamek's Revenge, in particular, would be a steaming pile of bullshit.

Unfortunately, you still have to deal with skiing levels and the precise jumps that requires. :getin:

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Y-Hat posted:

Since getting 100% on any level in this hack is out of the question, at least you won't have to deal with any of the secret levels. Kamek's Revenge, in particular, would be a steaming pile of bullshit.

Unfortunately, you still have to deal with skiing levels and the precise jumps that requires. :getin:

Actually, starting in world 2, my buddy and I use a save file that has everything unlocked already. So we are definitely planning to do the secret levels after the main game proper.

I'm thinking that 3-E will be the most chaotic, with 2-E killing you randomly on the platforms, and levels like 4-E and 6-E just being unbearable.

Then there's Poochy in 1-E and Kamek in 5-E. Oh gently caress, these are all going to suck.

:getin: indeed.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Hi y'all. I know this thread has been real quiet, and I'm sorry. Life got kind of busy, and there was a problem with my buddy's video file, but we're getting it all worked out. Just wanted to share a quick update and to keep this thread from dying! I hope to have the next update finished within the next week or so, and then hopefully smooth sailing from there! Thanks to everyone who has been watching the thread so far!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I just noticed this thread, and wow. The wooden crusher things in the mid castle silently sliding around in the background stalking you, is one of the most intense things I've seen in a video game.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Glad this is still alive. I don't know the last time I've laughed so hard at a Let's Play.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Any game that will trick you into entering a featureless void is a good game.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Episode 2-A: World 2, stages 1-4
Episode 2-B: World 2, stages 5-8

Thanks for being patient, everyone! I believe all the kinks have been worked out and that all the future updates have a much more streamlined production.

Next up is world 3, where monkeys already act random enough as is, and the levels get ever-more intense.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So are the extra levels gonna be their own video?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Gea is the true champion, Heytallman is a level-skipping fraud :colbert:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nice to see this still going.

All those glitches do give a pretty neat insight in how the game works. Like how, in that first level, the wall retracting animation is based on the position of the cloud instead of just fixed with the cloud being a glorified switch for it.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Ometeotl posted:

Gea is the true champion, Heytallman is a level-skipping fraud :colbert:

Yeah! :colbert:

You should have waited around for something to randomly happen and allow you to proceed like a reputable Highlander.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Uncertainty Principle is supposed to say you can only know an object's position or momentum, not both.

This game beyond that and shows you can't know an objects location, speed, or even what the object is until you see it. And even then it can change and swerve despite your observation.

What I'm saying is that maybe you should literally play this blind. What is not observed might mean that it doesn't exist.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting how random geometry that could fly off at any second swaps between completely vital to completing the level and scary when gone but ultimately ignorable.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Y-Hat posted:

So are the extra levels gonna be their own video?

Yup! That's the plan!

Holy poo poo guys, I am working on putting world 3 together, and I have seen some poo poo. Just when I think this mod can't throw anything new and mind-crushingly bizarre at me, it does. My run of the boss of 3-4 is the most beautiful (read: horrifying) thing and I can't wait for y'all to see it.

My aim is to get the new update out early next week. Thanks again for enjoying these! We're still having a blast.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Early next week? Psh, gently caress that.

As I stated in my previous post, the boss of 3-4 is the best thing that has happened to me in this mod. I know this one ended up a bit long, but it's got some of the craziest stuff. It still astounds me how, after three worlds, I'm still seeing totally new things happen.

Enjoy, y'all.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hell is inside a frog's stomach :pcgaming:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

heytallman posted:

Early next week? Psh, gently caress that.

As I stated in my previous post, the boss of 3-4 is the best thing that has happened to me in this mod. I know this one ended up a bit long, but it's got some of the craziest stuff. It still astounds me how, after three worlds, I'm still seeing totally new things happen.

Enjoy, y'all.
No words can adequately prepare anyone for what happens inside that Frog. Like, it started off pretty wacky, but then we are all just witness to some kind of...becoming.

Also I gotta wonder what causes those spear guys to go supersonic when most other enemies aren't quite so hopped up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Obviously Prince Froggy is one of those frogs that you lick and it gives you hallucinations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

NNirint●ter- sounds like a thing you'd hear about in a creepy pasta.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

You're wrong. NNirint●ter is merely the name of the Highland RNG god. You worship it thusly:

The Summoning

:pcgaming:NNirint●ter:pcgaming:

:pcgaming:NNirint●ter!:pcgaming:

The Becoming

:pcgaming:NNirint●ter...:pcgaming:

The Unbecoming

:pcgaming::respek::pcgaming:

The gaping maw of NNirint●ter will consume all things. Praise be NNirint●ter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Geemer posted:

Corruption like this happening on normal (or more often bootleg) carts is how creepypastas get started.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love seeing the mod screw up all the Toadies who come in to collect Mario. Sometimes they all go off-course! Sometimes only one does! WHO CAN KNOW?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I wish you guys would update again.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Testikles posted:

I wish you guys would update again.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Episode 4-A: World 4, stages 1-4
Episode 4-B: World 4, stages 5-8

We encountered some poo poo in this world. By poo poo, I mean 4-4. My God, that was a tough level. This also marks the first time I've laughed myself to tears while recording an update, so there's that to look forward to, as well. This update has everything! From modern art Koopas to more glitches we could never begin to explain, there's something for everyone here.

Thanks for being patient, as I've recently started a new job and am working to adjust to the schedule. Thanks for still diggin' these, sparse though the updates may be.

Cheers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You really tempted fate by trumpeting your good luck, and fate struck back.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Godspeed you to your eternal rest, gentle falling TapTap

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, watching random bugs show up and just suddenly put a ceiling on you might stop being hilarious at some point but I don't think as an audience member I'll reach that point before the end of this game.

Also two key cancels on the same level is just extra-hilarious.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

There's a dude at my work who is a turbo-nerd who would get rejected as a Big Bang theory character for not being believable enough. Everyday he brings with him to work either his fancy glass lightsaber that changes colors, his fullsize metal keyblade or his fullsize foam FF7 Buster sword.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Episode 5-A: World 5, stages 1-4
Episode 5-B: World 5, stages 5-8

Hope y'all had a good Thanksgiving, if you're American, and a reasonably pleasant November 24th, if you're not.

Little did I know how true the first words of the update would end up being. 5-4 was an absolute piece of poo poo that was somehow worse than any other level encountered so far.

Enjoy, y'all. Two more updates to go! Next up will be world 6, and then we'll be dedicating a video to tackling all the bonus stages to cap things off. Thanks again for watching these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That is horrifying.

• Locked thread