Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Also imagine, if you will, a German team where the fullbacks are Marcel Schmelzer and Philip Lahm and have actually regularly and successfully played on that position on the highest international level! :eyepop:

I would love to see Boateng as fullback btw. He is fast and plays amazing passes, I think he could run the right side really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Didn't Boateng start out as a right back? I'm sure he'd do a really good job, but then the center of defense is hosed again. And Hector would still be playing on the left, just lol.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It was hilarious how weak the flanks were with those two idiots playing and with the current "meta" you really need fullbacks who can help build pressure and keep options available.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Not liking this influx of footballers called Hector. You can't have prefessional footballers called Hector, it just doesn't work.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I thought Hector did some real good crosses in the first half at least.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What's myth in German? Because Germany are a myth.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Syncopated posted:

I thought Hector did some real good crosses in the first half at least.

I thought he did alright too. Showed about the same level of creativity as Germany's good players.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I continue to be disappointed by our "world class midfielder" Kroos. Am I alone in this? Here's a guy that is able to play the most amazing passes, be it high or low, short or wide. What he does, though, is seeing an opportunity that has a slight chance of failing and never taking it. Instead, he just chooses the safe option every time. He also never seems to do the first and obvious thing that comes into his mind and tries to think waaaay too far ahead which slows us down immensely. His lack of defensive abilities doesn't help either. You always get the feeling that his highness needn't be bothered by such peasantry tasks.

Yet, people keep on gloating and aaawww'ing about how amazing he is and that is he's one of the best midfielders in the world. The potential is there for sure, but what is it good for if he never shows it?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

Schadenfraud

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pissflaps posted:

Weltmeister

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Kurtofan posted:

Schadenfraud

This is actually the feeling one gets after the coach apologizes for scratching his balls on camera instead of owning it like a champion.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 17, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AlexF posted:

I continue to be disappointed by our "world class midfielder" Kroos. Am I alone in this? Here's a guy that is able to play the most amazing passes, be it high or low, short or wide. What he does, though, is seeing an opportunity that has a slight chance of failing and never taking it. Instead, he just chooses the safe option every time. He also never seems to do the first and obvious thing that comes into his mind and tries to think waaaay too far ahead which slows us down immensely. His lack of defensive abilities doesn't help either. You always get the feeling that his highness needn't be bothered by such peasantry tasks.

Yet, people keep on gloating and aaawww'ing about how amazing he is and that is he's one of the best midfielders in the world. The potential is there for sure, but what is it good for if he never shows it?

Weigl for Kroos!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I'd be happy if Weigl gets a chance. Just give him the first half against Northern Ireland and see what happens.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

AlexF posted:

I have been banging on about Kroos being thoroughly mediocre on these very forums since at least 2010.

He's lazy, takes stupid pot-shots, and rarely plays a probing ball. Sure, he sees the long pass, but he never plays it into that players running path, just pings it to where he sees them, so play stops moving forward. I cannot remember the last time he scored or provided an assist from open play. He whines and drags players around him down (e.g., Euro 2012), the opposite of a natural leader. Bayern dumped him for an elderly Alonso and it was absolutely the right decision.

His three good qualities are his positioning, not giving the ball away, and set-piece delivery, which are undeniably decent. But other players will give you that.

The problem for Germany is that they don't have the striking options that would normally force Kroos out of the team. Just look at the rosters from 2010 and 2012. Klose surrounded by Poldi and Mueller, Ozil + Schweini + Khedira in midfield. Poldi losing effectiveness forces Ozil into attack and shoehorns Kroos into the team.

Would have loved to see Weigl playing. Weigl offers the same positional intelligence with additional attacking insouciance.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Lol are you guys serious

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Katana Gomai posted:

Lol are you guys serious

Uh, I think you'll find if you look at the advanced stats presented by ESPN in collaboration with pro football focus, that...

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Einfache Lösung für diese EM: Spiele schöntrinken.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
The only player who is better at this passing the ball to players running into the box thing than Kroos in this tournament is Andres Iniesta.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
You're bonkers. There are 4 in the German team better at that than Kroos, and one of them is a freaking defender.

And you're ignoring about 20 other world-class midfielders and forwards who play a better ball, too.

Next time Germany plays watch Kroos see a cross field player on the run, watch him hit it...and then watch the target have to stop and wait for 2-3 seconds as the space gets closed down.

That pass works from a set-piece but it generally doesnt at speed.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
In both the Ukraine and Poland games Kroos made a number of exceptional passes (helpfully someone has put compilations on youtube, go look it up). No other player has done that, much less four of them. Plus setting up one goal. Clearly Weigl should have played instead, maybe Podolski even

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Post the link, then. The games I watched, Kroos put in a good deadball (his admitted strength) and Ozil put in the assist from open play. It's not a popular opinion, but I do believe Germany would have gotten more out of the Poland game by swapping him out for Podolski or another benched forward, moving Khedira to his position, and having Ozil drop into midfield.

When I think of the past 4 major tournaments, there is only one game that I can remember Kroos changing: he hit the deadball assist to Hummels versus France in 2014. But I also remember him giving the game away to Italy in 2012 after moaning to the press about starting. I just think there are better options.

Reprisal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 18, 2016

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Kroos had to close down Pirlo back then and believe me, Andrea's got the experience to get around a watchdog no matter the age.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

You're bad at football, OP

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I really am, proof being a bench warmer in the local youth team (left back lmao).

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Reprisal posted:

Post the link, then. The games I watched, Kroos put in a good deadball (his admitted strength) and Ozil put in the assist from open play. It's not a popular opinion, but I do believe Germany would have gotten more out of the Poland game by swapping him out for Podolski or another benched forward, moving Khedira to his position, and having Ozil drop into midfield.

When I think of the past 4 major tournaments, there is only one game that I can remember Kroos changing: he hit the deadball assist to Hummels versus France in 2014. But I also remember him giving the game away to Italy in 2012 after moaning to the press about starting. I just think there are better options.

Germany-Brazil mate. The first 4 goals all involve Kroos. Podolski could have done a better job masterminding the most iconic game of recent world cup history though I'm sure

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Healbot posted:

I really am, proof being a bench warmer in the local youth team (left back lmao).

I didn't mean you, actual OP

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Katana Gomai posted:

I didn't mean you, actual OP

The point still stands, OP.

What I actually find disappointing about Kroos though is his unwillingness to be more than a ball boy. Right now the only way for him to be a goal threat with his distance shots is when the goalkeeper is injured.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Katana Gomai posted:

You're bad at football, OP

I guess you think Low is dumb too, since on the evidence of team selections, we share a similar assessment. If he had a solid ball-playing second striker. Hell, he might even do it if Gundogan were fit.

Reprisal fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 18, 2016

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
The EM song still gives me the shivers every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypq6rXVkvM

I still hope it won't be the best piece of this EM.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Hitzlsperger as a pundit is the highlight for me so far.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

dogboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuxghiwjgQc

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hitlers leave.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

Hitlers leave.

We will.
With the cup.
And we're gonna bring it home.
It's coming home.
To Deutschland.
The home of football.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Es kommt nach hause.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Deichkind - Ich hab ein Fahne

Sadly not on Youtube

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

dogboy posted:

Deichkind - Ich hab ein Fahne

Sadly not on Youtube

Well, the song is, but not the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2yM23Vkb8

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

hopterque posted:

Well, the song is, but not the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI2yM23Vkb8

BIER POKAL
BIER BIER POKAL
SPIEL EGAL
BIER BIER POKAL

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Here's the music video on Vimeo (rip) which makes it even better, but great song either way.

also it's NWS-ish

https://vimeo.com/171193536

hopterque fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 18, 2016

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Hey thanks, I was looking for that video. It got pulled off YouTube because of the Panini pics iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bignose
Mar 21, 2006
fucked up

dogboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_cIbYCkWg imo

• Locked thread