Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
dae (does anyone else) think its weird that there are like, 3 cat4gory of laptop: student, business, and gaming? these categories are stupid.

1) student and business laptops should be the same thing.
2) gaming laptops are bad and should be uninvented
3) there should be an engineering/scientific laptop which is a performance laptop targeted at serious users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

dae (does anyone else) think its weird that there are like, 3 cat4gory of laptop: student, business, and gaming? these categories are stupid.

1) student and business laptops should be the same thing.
2) gaming laptops are bad and should be uninvented
3) there should be an engineering/scientific laptop which is a performance laptop targeted at serious users

that's a laptop with a deece processor, a bunch of ram and a low tier video card. basically a low end gaming laptop should suit your needs

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

its the Macbook Pro, OP

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

its the Macbook Pro, OP

nobody has made a good non macbook laptop yet

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well, like that hot new meme sweeping the forums goes, there ain't no such thing as a free computer

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

its the Macbook Pro, OP

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
just replace all non-gaming laps with an appropriately priced chromebook, and replace all gamer laptops with a mini tower & good monitor

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

why doesn't someone just go do that??? what's making it so impossible?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the thinkpad that my job gives me is supposedly like the best non macbook but it's utter loving garbage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thinkpad w540/i think it's called the p50 now

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
yeah you're looking for either a workstation or a macbook pro

no idea if the dell workstations still smell like catpiss or not

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just get a x1 carbon op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

now that yospos hates macs can we replace the "just get a mbp" with the x1 carbon? it is p. good, no preinstalled trojans or anything these days

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it is a bad idea because engineers are insufferable, it would just encourage them to say the word "engineer" more. the target audience would be that dude on my ferry who said the word engineer several hundreds of times to a girl he trapped in conversation

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why doesn't someone just go do that??? what's making it so impossible?

idunno. i guess bc windows users will put up with all sorts of bullshit and think its good

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

now that yospos hates macs can we replace the "just get a mbp" with the x1 carbon? it is p. good, no preinstalled trojans or anything these days

nobody hates macs you loving idiot

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
the mac hate is ironic

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

gnrk posted:

nobody hates macs you loving idiot

now that cremknob is back

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

engineers use mighty desktop computers running the most powerful operating system in the world

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

treasure bear posted:

engineers use mighty desktop computers running the most powerful operating system in the world

templeOS!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if you're doing engineering stuff why do you need a powerful laptop if you're just going to ssh into some cluster

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

how long until the US implements laws naming jobs engineer, first or second time someone is killed by a high school grad who cludged his way into being called an "engineer"?

"i'm a network engineer, i have my A+ and everything! :D"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

engineering/scientific targeted laptops already exist

they're called dell precision mobile workstations, op

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

mishaq posted:

engineering/scientific targeted laptops already exist

they're called dell precision mobile workstations, op

correct

Radio Paranoia posted:

that's a laptop with a deece processor, a bunch of ram and a low tier video card. basically a low end gaming laptop should suit your needs

a science laptop actually probably wants a pretty beefy graphics card so you can offload all your number crunching there, but you need to be a bit careful about its integer v floating point performance depending on your application

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no, a "science laptop" probably needs an internet connection so you can fire up your EC2 instances because jesus christ trying to compute actual numbers on a _laptop_

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
but what if your crotch is cold?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apocadall posted:

how long until the US implements laws naming jobs engineer, first or second time someone is killed by a high school grad who cludged his way into being called an "engineer"?

"i'm a network engineer, i have my A+ and everything! :D"

those laws already exist

there's just an exception if you're not working on a public piece of infrastructure (or oil drilling platforms as of deepwater horizon)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

just replace all non-gaming laps with an appropriately priced chromebook, and replace all gamer laptops with a mini tower & good monitor

lmao noooope. unless you want me to root the chromebook like a loving animal, to run software thats actually usable like firefox and thunderbird, in addition to the stuff i use to get work done like R and pycharm and a latex distribution

also x1 carbon is not great but seems to be better than every other alternative i have seen, runs kubuntu 16.04 well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
check out this power user

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
thank you for understandng that i have Serious Computer Needs and any old pleb laptop just will not do

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

student laptops are for poor people, business people have more money so they should have finer materials and leather keys. who cares about gaming

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

akadajet posted:

oh people have. just not for a long, long time.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jonny 290 posted:

no, a "science laptop" probably needs an internet connection so you can fire up your EC2 instances because jesus christ trying to compute actual numbers on a _laptop_

you vastly overestimate most scientists' computing knowledge and underestimate most labs' refusal to try new things. if it's going off the local machine at all it'll be to the research institute's own custom research cluster, and even that's unlikely outside of a physics or computer science lab

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Jonny 290 posted:

but EC2 is bad :smithcloud:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

i like my lenovo t530 with it's bastard hybrid graphics that makes multiple monitors impossible in fedora

first and only thinkpad i've ever owned, so i have no idea how it compares to the people that want exactly same keyboard and everything of older ibm thinkpads

suits my needs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

you vastly overestimate most scientists' computing knowledge and underestimate most labs' refusal to try new things. if it's going off the local machine at all it'll be to the research institute's own custom research cluster, and even that's unlikely outside of a physics or computer science lab

my previous job was a company that does scientific computing (kinda) and my issued laptop was a murdered out dell precision m4800 with 32 GB of RAM and a quadro card

i used my own mac instead :xd:

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

i want an engineer computer that ayn rand would applaud

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

treasure bear posted:

a form factor that she could cram up her joyless quimhole would slake her lust for a short while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

treasure bear posted:

we dont need a rapey computer

• Locked thread