Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Samovar posted:

So, gunshot, hanging, beheading, lethal injection, electrocution and gassing have all been done; what else can there be, execution-wise?

You'll see. I remember at least two other enemy types off the top of my head, and a lovely wikia says there's another that I can't recall. Two of them were methods of execution and the third is probably more torture/unpleasant end than intentional killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is there any way to get this running on Windows 10? I want to play along with the LP, but it doesn't seem like it's happening.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Samovar posted:

So, gunshot, hanging, beheading, lethal injection, electrocution and gassing have all been done; what else can there be, execution-wise?

:unsmigghh:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Samovar posted:

Drowning, outright beating?

Oh dear.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

zidane13 posted:

Is there any way to get this running on Windows 10? I want to play along with the LP, but it doesn't seem like it's happening.

I've been playing it on windows 10 with minimal issues. The main issues I've encountered is a sound problem that prevents certain sounds from overlapping with others, while another is the UI doesn't scale properly with widescreen resolutions. If those are the issues you are having, send me a PM.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Dinictus posted:

Drowning, outright beating?

Oddly enough, no. I was expecting a water or sewer section with some sort of bloated drowned zombie trying to drag you under, or a big ogre with knobbly fists that just charged and tried to club you down, but no. Of course, we'll be seeing some worse things than that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

How could you forget burying alive?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Vicissitude posted:

Oddly enough, no. I was expecting a water or sewer section with some sort of bloated drowned zombie trying to drag you under, or a big ogre with knobbly fists that just charged and tried to club you down, but no. Of course, we'll be seeing some worse things than that.

I suppose any beating monster would probably be based on police brutality.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Actually, besides from scaphism (sp?), the two worst forms of torturous execution (both of which are Russian) is death by mosquito, i.e. being tied to a post in a summery swamp and being eaten alive, or one (who's name I can't recall) whereby the victim has freezing ice-cold water poured on them, them boiling hot water, and the process is repeated until death.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Samovar posted:

scaphism

Folks, be reeeeaaaallllly sure you want to look this one up. It's pretty drat :siren::nms::gonk::nms::siren:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, these forms of execution are getting increasingly impractical and slow.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

azren posted:

Folks, be reeeeaaaallllly sure you want to look this one up. It's pretty drat :siren::nms::gonk::nms::siren:

Before I act a fool and look it up myself, can I get a hint as to what it is, so that I can assess whether or not I'm willing to go forward with investigating this new (to me) form of making dudes hella dead?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Before I act a fool and look it up myself, can I get a hint as to what it is, so that I can assess whether or not I'm willing to go forward with investigating this new (to me) form of making dudes hella dead?
How do you feel about insects and exposed skin?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Brovstin posted:

How do you feel about insects and exposed skin?

Nope.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Ramos posted:

I always felt like that was part of the point. This game makes me feel as though it is trying to intentionally demonize capital punishment, though I can't say that with certainty.
(Note: please don't take this as wanting to start an "is the death penalty right or wrong" debate, it's just my interpretation)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ramos posted:

Listen to the Hardcore History episode Prophets of Doom. Towards the end, it describes a execution/torture session that goes on the better part of an entire day. That's what the elaborate methods of death were designed to do - to send to the public a very clear message of 'don't gently caress with the king/emperor/law/status quo'.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Part 5: Everything Beautiful is Gone; Darkest Night, Eternal Blight & Oblivion Regained / Evil/Neutral Path Differences (It may be worth watching the Evil/Neutral video if you want to see the world's most indestructible man)

No Commentary Version

Memos Found:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If I decide to haunt some old and storied location after my death, you better bet I would go out of my way to be absolutely inconvenient in the most minor ways possible. That's how you drive a person insane.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, I forgot about the Burrowers. They might actually be my favorite in terms of design, instead of the Mainliners.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Listen to the Hardcore History episode Prophets of Doom. Towards the end, it describes a execution/torture session that goes on the better part of an entire day. That's what the elaborate methods of death were designed to do - to send to the public a very clear message of 'don't gently caress with the king/emperor/law/status quo'.

Even the well known and once common practice of crucifixion took days to exhaust the victim's arm and leg muscles and cause them to die of positional asphyxiation, which was indeed primarily for the purpose of putting on a show for other would-be criminals.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Surprise you guys didn't comment on the marksman's perfect head-stand at 24:45

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
It showed up for too short a time, but upon rewatching I did indeed regret not commenting on the game suddenly deciding it would show enemy deaths the same way the Mario series tends to- by just vertically flipping them before dropping them offscreen.

We also see one of those mysterious twins running away from a perfectly cut square in a chain-link fence before a loading screen, which I wish I'd mentioned or noticed. I thought they had just detoured from the asylum to speak cryptically at you but I guess they had actually been actively aiding you... before suddenly deciding to hinder you?

I have no clue what the hell their end-game is going to end up being other than "messing around with Torque" I guess.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah, now we get to the slap-dash and kinda daft level designs.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

I vaguely recall that dynamite actually can be used on Burrowers. After they attack and then dive back underground, there's a brief window where you can throw TNT into the hole they leave behind which finishes them off. I wanna say this also works with flash-bangs (for some reason).

Brovstin fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 2, 2016

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Brovstin posted:

I vaguely recall that dynamite actually can be used on Burrowers. After they attack and then dive back underground, there's a brief window where you can throw TNT into the hole they leave behind which finishes them off. I wanna say this also works with flash-bangs (for some reason).

I would like to personally thank you for telling me this, now I finally know of an easy way to deal with Burrowers(only 12 years too late!). Yes this works, and it is great. The next video was sadly recorded before you posted that but I will be abusing that liberally throughout the rest of the LP.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Part 6: You've Mistaken Me For Someone Else & Hate the Sin, Not the Sinner / Evil/Neutral Path Differences

No Commentary Version

Memos Found:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I'm still not very sure what that device was supposed to actually do :psyduck:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I just realized what Carnate Island reminds me of: the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I do enjoy Killjoy. He gives a level of hamminess required in such a schlocky setting.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Oh! I only just remembered from the LP of this I saw years ago. If you leave your Monster Torgue bar full like that, it triggers those little flashes on the screen more often. I don't know if leaving it less than full makes them disappear entirely, but I know they come left often.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Brovstin posted:

I played the hell out of this game and never knew that. :aaaaa:

Vicissitude posted:

Oh! I only just remembered from the LP of this I saw years ago. If you leave your Monster Torgue bar full like that, it triggers those little flashes on the screen more often. I don't know if leaving it less than full makes them disappear entirely, but I know they come left often.
If I remember rightly, you also see more, and generally gorier flashes if you're playing Evil. It did get kind of annoying toward the game end, where your Evil karma is close to full so you'd get a mini-jumpscare every few minutes.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

limited posted:

If I remember rightly, you also see more, and generally gorier flashes if you're playing Evil. It did get kind of annoying toward the game end, where your Evil karma is close to full so you'd get a mini-jumpscare every few minutes.

I can't say that I've noticed any increase in flashes based on morality, they seem to occur with the same frequency regardless of whether I'm playing my Evil run or the others.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Iron Chitlin posted:

I can't say that I've noticed any increase in flashes based on morality, they seem to occur with the same frequency regardless of whether I'm playing my Evil run or the others.
What about the Sneaky-Guy-Meter fullness Vicissitude mentioned? Does that affect frequency, Chitlin?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

ElTipejoLoco posted:

What about the Sneaky-Guy-Meter fullness Vicissitude mentioned? Does that affect frequency, Chitlin?

Vicissitude posted:

That is really hard to say for certain, my use of the creature form as an occasional "gently caress it!" button, and the speed at which you top off the meter, makes gauging any changes hard to discern. The only way I would be able to tell would be to turn it into an actual scientific process. That said, I wouldn't doubt that something like that exists in this game's programming.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Part 7: A Lonely Place To Die, Dancing At The Dawn Of The Apocalypse, Surfacing & An Eye For an Eye Makes The Whole World Blind / Evil/Neutral Differences

No Commentary Version

The main video seems to be having issues with processing fully. If it doesn't fix itself by the time I wake up I'll try re uploading it.

Memos Found:

Iron Chitlin fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 10, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I like how blase Torque is upon seeing the electricity ghost in the sewers.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Huh. Mainliners wear little speedos. Good to know.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 10, 2016

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The Festers were always one of the odder enemies to me. Not for what they represented (drowning), but their entry in Clem's notebook. It specifically mentions that the Festers aren't the reincarnations of the slaves who drowned, but the slavers themselves being forced to endure what they inflicted on others. It's the only time the game makes that distinction. The rest of the time it theorizes the monsters represent this or that form of death or execution, or speculates on their connection to events on the island, but in this case it makes sure to definitely specify the monsters certainly aren't the dead slaves and that the sufferers are definitely the slavers rather than maintain it's ambiguity.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Ironslave posted:

The Festers were always one of the odder enemies to me. Not for what they represented (drowning), but their entry in Clem's notebook. It specifically mentions that the Festers aren't the reincarnations of the slaves who drowned, but the slavers themselves being forced to endure what they inflicted on others. It's the only time the game makes that distinction. The rest of the time it theorizes the monsters represent this or that form of death or execution, or speculates on their connection to events on the island, but in this case it makes sure to definitely specify the monsters certainly aren't the dead slaves and that the sufferers are definitely the slavers rather than maintain it's ambiguity.

I can sort of get why, fighting a representation of dead slaves would probably make a lot of people (understandably) more than a little uncomfortable, so that's probably why the Festers manifestation is a little more specific. Also I'd argue the next enemy in the game is based more on the executioner rather than the executed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ironslave posted:

The Festers aren't alone in this, because Clem speculates that the last enemy type in the game, the Inferna, were damned to always be on fire for purposely condemning innocent people during the witch hunts.

Agh, beaten.

• Locked thread