Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

OddObserver posted:

I suspect you would be slightly better at this vidya game if you used Elliot's craft. Well, if his starts with his best craft, which he might, but I am not sure of.

I'm embarrassed to say that I literally forgot about Resounding Beat until after I'd finished the boss battle.

I'm also way better at Cold Steel than that boss battle makes me seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This game has a pretty awkward beginning since it decided that it should quickly introduce every member of your core party within the first hour or so. That's generally a bad idea, since it means that until [insert character here] gets their required story time they're more or less filler.

Thankfully the dialogue/characterization is as charming as can be expected from a Trails game so it's not too bad all things considered.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In an effort to finish the prologue sooner, here's a surprise Wednesday update!

Episode 6: I Feel They Have the Potential to be the Light we Seek
No commentary

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 19, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm not entirely certain how I'd classify Sara's voice direction beyond "peppy", but I'm certainly enjoying it. This being a Trails game, they'll probably do some character exploration later, but I get the sense that she's basically forced to make this poo poo up as she goes and is thus diving into the whole affair with gusto.

Oh hey, it's Olivert with accompanying hammy dialogue! :swoon:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sara is basically the best

what's up with that blonde creep in the trenchcoat though, I don't trust him

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Really Pants posted:

Sara is basically the best

what's up with that blonde creep in the trenchcoat though, I don't trust him

He's fine. The trenchcoat is a well-respected piece of German Erebonian fashion. It's probably even traditional or something.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
The game's op is pretty awesome, though it could have stood to be a bit longer or so, perhaps.
In my opinion, the op shows us like, so much stuff, I think it'd be easier to list the stuff the op doesn't show us.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, will we ever find out why they called the sixth class "Class VII"?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It might have seen Sara's decision. She's kinda the queen of silly team names.

She also rocks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sara does indeed rock! Let's see some more of her.

Episode 7: Technical Difficulties

Let me know if I need to upload a no commentary version. I'll have to make one.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sure Rean could make up with Alisa much faster if he could actually talk to her :v:.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

cool LP here! the game seems pretty neat. I really like the premise and the setting is pretty interesting. I like you guys' commentary too, i think watching this game rather than playing it would be boring with a different style of commentary so good job!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Meis posted:

cool LP here! the game seems pretty neat. I really like the premise and the setting is pretty interesting. I like you guys' commentary too, i think watching this game rather than playing it would be boring with a different style of commentary so good job!

For more context on this game, the best thing you can do is play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's on Steam and PSP for $20, while its sequel, Trails in the Sky SC, is $30.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
You should have told your commentators that you were joining the best club. The "Help Tiny-Senpai" Club.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
Wow you weren't kidding about how persona this is. Its nice to see another game playing with these setting/mechanical ideas given how long its been since persona 4 was released. I might need to actually pick this up at some point.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Slur posted:

For more context on this game, the best thing you can do is play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's on Steam and PSP for $20, while its sequel, Trails in the Sky SC, is $30.

yeah i have heard of that one. Sadly i can not play JRPGs and enjoy them or be any good at them. I've tried many times and it never works. Thank god for LPs right?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For those that are interested in the previous series, Trails in the Sky, but have neither the time or predilection to play through them, both have had excellent LPs done on them if you have not already checked them out.

The start of it all - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
A scintillating continuation - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

All the Legend of Heroes games that are part of the Trails titles are related to each other and have an overarching plot, though each individual series is perfectly playable on its own.

-The Trails in the Sky series takes place (mostly) in the Liberl Kingdom from the beginning of the year 1202 to the end of 1203. Liberl is directly south of Erebonia.

-The Trails of Cold Steel series takes place in the Erebonian Empire starting in early/mid 1204. Aftereffects of the previous series have contributed to multiple happenings in it, but there aren't any major plot holes or anything if you haven't read the former. In terms of timeline this is the currently active one, as Cold Steel 3 has been announced, but is not out yet.

-The Crossbell arc, which is the duology of Zero/Ao, has not been released in the US, but takes place in Crossbell City, an independent city state located between the two largest countries on the continent, the Erebonian Empire and the Calvard Republic. Story starts at the beginning of 1204, and runs through the entire year. There is indeed some event overlap between this and Cold Steel, though again it's mostly references and thus knowledge of what happens in them is not necessary.

edit: I'm fairly sure this is all perfectly acceptable in regards to the no spoiler policy(I'm only vaguely familiar with the Crossbell arc myself anyways), but if you think any of this has gone too far I'm perfectly happy to remove it.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 19, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Trails in the Sky SC also recently showed up in the archives, for those who aren't terribly interested in wading through the original thread.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

I'm fairly sure this is all perfectly acceptable in regards to the no spoiler policy(I'm only vaguely familiar with the Crossbell arc myself anyways), but if you think any of this has gone too far I'm perfectly happy to remove it.

Not at all, that's totally fine.

I would highly recommend either reading the LPs of Trails in the Sky FC and SC or playing the games, as knowledge of the events in Liberl will enhance one's experience of Cold Steel.

I'm still hoping that we eventually get the Crossbell arc.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Edit: http://i.imgur.com/fFDa8M4.webm

All you need to know about the Crossbell Arc.

Sorry about the accidental spoiler, I hadn't thought about it all.

Edit Edit: God drat it Numbers. :argh:

Lynkericious fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 19, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You know, as much as I love that clip (and I really do), it does contain a spoiler right now. Can you remove it for the time being?

Here's the important part, minus the spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/7EBWMRa.webm

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 19, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mondays suck. Here's a late update.

Episode 8: The Center of Class VII

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Sara wasn't in her room during the nighttime-section. She was downstairs having a drink and the fact you ended the night session without talking to her meant you get to live with the knowledge you will never see Rean's "plasted to bastard"-line in this playthrough. I have a great idea, let's start over. :D

Anyway, looks like I wasn't the only one who got a major Misato Katsuragi vibe from Sara. They're quite similar in that "Goofy, lazy, sloppy beer-loving christmas cake mentor figure who loves to tease yet who is a complete badass the moment they get serious about something."-sense. With some luck, Sara won't turn out to be the utter broken mess inside that Misato was, though I doubt Trails aims to top Evangelion.

Also, Jusis' advice comes a bit late, seeing that Rean's already doomed to spending the rest of the school year doing the tedious parts of Sara's job for her.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Wow, these videos seem to be coming in quite quickly

Not to be asking about bad news, but I'd presume the live commentary isn't going to last forever now is it?

The live commentary is easily a fair bit better, maybe twice or even three times betters I'd say.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Sara wasn't in her room during the nighttime-section. She was downstairs having a drink and the fact you ended the night session without talking to her meant you get to live with the knowledge you will never see Rean's "plasted to bastard"-line in this playthrough. I have a great idea, let's start over. :D

Anyway, looks like I wasn't the only one who got a major Misato Katsuragi vibe from Sara. They're quite similar in that "Goofy, lazy, sloppy beer-loving christmas cake mentor figure who loves to tease yet who is a complete badass the moment they get serious about something."-sense. With some luck, Sara won't turn out to be the utter broken mess inside that Misato was, though I doubt Trails aims to top Evangelion.

Also, Jusis' advice comes a bit late, seeing that Rean's already doomed to spending the rest of the school year doing the tedious parts of Sara's job for her.

Well poo poo.

I won't start over, but I'll record it and tack it on to some other video.

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

Not to be asking about bad news, but I'd presume the live commentary isn't going to last forever now is it?

Unlikely, as scheduling continues to be annoying. It's far more efficient for the group if I record on my own and we Skype separately.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm only just now starting part five and good lord.

Machias is awful. Alisa R 'yet another one of those' characters, is also obnoxious so far.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

RareAcumen posted:

Machias is awful. Alisa R 'yet another one of those' characters, is also obnoxious so far.

Cold Steel starts out ridiculously tropey, just so it can deconstruct those tropes later on, but it does make the start kind of hard to bear.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Erpy posted:

Cold Steel starts out ridiculously tropey, just so it can deconstruct those tropes later on, but it does make the start kind of hard to bear.

Seconding this, at the start of the game I hated a good number of the characters, though by the end of it I loved most of those great little bastards.

Though I will admit, I still found Jusis much more tolerable than Machias in most of their interactions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Machias is one of my favorite characters. :colbert:

This is based on things that happen much later

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Machias is one of my favorite characters. :colbert:

This is based on things that happen much later

This is not one of those things, but this episode does feature a higher than normal amount of Machias:

Episode 9: How do You Sip "Arrogantly?"

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I began the game hating Jusis and Machias and at the end of the game they were strong candidates for my favourite characters.

I love this game entirely too much, it's dumb Persona Geopolitics Edition but there's so much to like about the dopey cliches you surround yourself with and some of the sidequests are hilarious.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yes, they are meant to be teenagers so saying dumb things and being annoying is realistic, IMO. There are exception in the group, as you will see later.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
If she swam for 50 meters, she was faster than the current world record holder. If it was 25m it is a rather average time, nothing really exciting.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I have never heard of this series before and now I am wondering why because it looks like something I would be interested in. Will definitely keep an eye on this.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
You forgot to mention that you can buy the Red Moon Rose books later with some work (and tons of money).

I'd also be prepared to bet that was a nearer-endgame fish, because the early fish only have two buttons you need to switch between. I think you only hit the 4-button ones in chapter 4 or so. (Checking tells me that was a chapter 6 fish you caught.)

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Nuramor posted:

If she swam for 50 meters, she was faster than the current world record holder. If it was 25m it is a rather average time, nothing really exciting.

Legend of Heroes is literally all about being fantasy superheroes--with the Trails era stuff also including an industrial revolution and rapid technological advancement. It's not surprising that the girl who's the daughter of a world class badass and has trained to be a world class badass since birth is capable of exceeding the world records of a world where we actually need to worry about physics and the actual limits of the human body

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Alectai posted:

Legend of Heroes is literally all about being fantasy superheroes--with the Trails era stuff also including an industrial revolution and rapid technological advancement. It's not surprising that the girl who's the daughter of a world class badass and has trained to be a world class badass since birth is capable of exceeding the world records of a world where we actually need to worry about physics and the actual limits of the human body

Plus she's Laura, wait until you actually get to see her in battle. :unsmigghh:

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Oh god yes, Laura is an amazing killbeast.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cyouni posted:

You forgot to mention that you can buy the Red Moon Rose books later with some work (and tons of money).

I mostly certainly did not!

Alectai posted:

Considering the exploits of a certain general from Liberl and his prodigy daughter, I can totally believe this.

Lynkericious posted:

Plus she's Laura, wait until you actually get to see her in battle. :unsmigghh:

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, there's still some stuff we have to get through before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lynkericious posted:

Seconding this, at the start of the game I hated a good number of the characters, though by the end of it I loved most of those great little bastards.

Though I will admit, I still found Jusis much more tolerable than Machias in most of their interactions.

Machias was annoying at first, but I did kind of appreciate how they inverted the whole "Noble privileged rear end in a top hat" cliche by making the he-of-humble-birth-and-status guy the rear end in a top hat and the privileged guy being the one to put up with him.

• Locked thread