Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

I began the game hating Jusis and Machias and at the end of the game they were strong candidates for my favourite characters.

davidHalestorm posted:

Yes, they are meant to be teenagers so saying dumb things and being annoying is realistic, IMO. There are exception in the group, as you will see later.

Yes, I am sure the characters will grow and become better later on in this 50 hour RPG. However I am saying that now, as a first impression they are not making the best case for themselves. God, I'd hope that the way the characters are presenting themselves initially isn't how they'd stay the entire game, that'd be awful!

You don't need a specific time in your game to start playing around with tropes, you can do that whenever. My favorite example of this is when two female characters landed on the protagonist in Devil Survivor 2 and no one held a grudge and people just moved on. Granted, that also was pretty deep into the game too though so :shrug: I dunno.

Anyway, people keep comparing this to Persona and I just gotta know. Is this like a Tales game where you can put on different costumes that no one remarks on to make your character look different or is it like Final Fantasy where you largely only have the one outfit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, people keep comparing this to Persona and I just gotta know. Is this like a Tales game where you can put on different costumes that no one remarks on to make your character look different or is it like Final Fantasy where you largely only have the one outfit?

Well you can get bonus outfits, yes, and no one will comment on if you're wearing them or not. Most of the costumes aren't that weird though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lynkericious posted:

Well you can get bonus outfits, yes, and no one will comment on if you're wearing them or not. Most of the costumes aren't that weird though.

:coal: As long as the option to play dress-up is there, I'm good.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Super Jay Mann posted:

Machias was annoying at first, but I did kind of appreciate how they inverted the whole "Noble privileged rear end in a top hat" cliche by making the he-of-humble-birth-and-status guy the rear end in a top hat and the privileged guy being the one to put up with him.

To be honest, Jusis is kind of an rear end in a top hat at first too, though in a different way than Machias. (the game kinda makes a point of mentioning that Jusis is usually the one to start the fights by gleefully pushing Machias' buttons whenever he has the opportunity) Machias is fairly reasonable most of the time, he just has a berserk button that's triggered by an extremely common facet of Erebonian every-day life, particularly at Thors. Jusis is more the the cold aloof guy whose softer side gradually gets exposed as the game goes on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RareAcumen posted:

:coal: As long as the option to play dress-up is there, I'm good.

Don't worry about that. I'm currently communicating with the localization company trying to fix some DLC costumes.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

RareAcumen posted:

You don't need a specific time in your game to start playing around with tropes, you can do that whenever. My favorite example of this is when two female characters landed on the protagonist in Devil Survivor 2 and no one held a grudge and people just moved on. Granted, that also was pretty deep into the game too though so :shrug: I dunno.

Granted, that was also because it was Otome and Makoto.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cyouni posted:

Granted, that was also because it was Otome and Makoto.

Execution counts for a lot is all I'm saying. An embarrassing thing happened, they moved on and focused on the demon and world ending problem. Also that strange flying man.

Man, the more I talk about this, the more it becomes clear that the only reason they just skipped past it was because they had so much more important poo poo to be doing.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

Don't worry about that. I'm currently communicating with the localization company trying to fix some DLC costumes.

Look, they made the costumes as anime as they possibly could. What more do you want?!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

Look, they made the costumes as anime as they possibly could. What more do you want?!

I want to be able to use the costumes I paid US currency for.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

We continue our Free Day questing in Episode 10: As Virgin as my Olive Oil

So I know everyone's super invested in the blistering posting schedule I've been using, but I may need to slow things down, because I'm rapidly running out of footage and we may not be able to record this next week.

I have two more episodes, which I'll post on Monday and Friday and then...we'll see. Hopefully we can record next Saturday and keep the pace going.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Do all the battles give just 3 Link EXP per fight? Methinks they should have made some of the scripted fights or so give a bit more or so? Ultimately it's still not really that much methinks

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
All battles give 3 link experience for the active links plus 1 link experience for everyone with everyone. There's no way to get more link exp out of battles. You're not really meant to grind link exp though. It's more like a supplement. The main ways your link exp goes up is through bonding events, reading books from the book store, completing field studies and completing schoolhouse floors.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

All battles give 3 link experience for the active links plus 1 link experience for everyone with everyone. There's no way to get more link exp out of battles. You're not really meant to grind link exp though. It's more like a supplement. The main ways your link exp goes up is through bonding events, reading books from the book store, completing field studies and completing schoolhouse floors.

And card games! Don't forget about the card games!

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
gently caress that lovely card game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Lynkericious posted:

gently caress that lovely card game.

Blade is love.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

And card games! Don't forget about the card games!

Oh man I have way too many :goonsay: words about that card game, you wouldn't believe it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh man I have way too many :goonsay: words about that card game, you wouldn't believe it.

Well get 'em ready, because we recorded the first set of Blade games this morning.

This also means that if I get off my rear end and do some editing, I might be able to post that video on Friday. We'll see.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh, this started, hooray. Thanks for providing "no commentary" versions of the episodes. ... Oh, it stops after Chapter 6. (And yes, consider this a request for no-commentary versions of Chapter 7 and any future ones.)

That normal battle music is way too cool to be normal battle music. I really wish that they either didn't say "My turn!" or at least had more variation in those lines.

Oh cool, that Machias guy has a shotgun. Neat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(And yes, consider this a request for no-commentary versions of Chapter 7 and any future ones.)

Okay, I'll get on that tonight, though I'm not sure how well the live episodes will work without commentary.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Normally, I would be posting a new video right now, but I accidentally uploaded the wrong video and I don't have access to my episodes at work. As such, I will have to post the new episode this evening.

In the meantime, I have a partial update with Episode 7: Technical Difficulties (No Commentary)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, finally got Episode 11: Such a Soothing Personality uploaded!
No Commentary

Some backlog:

Episode 8: The Center of Class VII (no commentary)
Episode 9: How do You Sip "Arrogantly?" (no commentary)
Episode 10: As Virgin as My Olive Oil (no commentary)

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 28, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Awesome, thanks a lot!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So, err... let's discuss things!

It's super-obvious that Rean's not telling the whole truth about him not being nobility. But I don't think he's lying either and he said that he was not born into a noble family. I also caught the little line when complaining to Sara on the phone about "If you're choosing based on social class", then Jusis and Laura were "born into noble families". As in "If you were choosing based on nobility, then of the three of us, Jusis and Laura have higher status than I do".

So... ah. A commoner adopted by some nobles? Presumably after something suitably tragic happened to his first family. That would make him telling the truth about not having any noble blood in him, but still be "in the middle" between nobles and commoners like Sara said.

A nice touch that when Rean was distributing the notebooks, he barged right into the rooms of Gaius and Elliot, because they're already friends, but he knocked for everyone else.

I liked that President Towa made a point to tell Rean not to push himself too much, because even I have noticed in this short time that for someone who is not at the top of the class in his studies, he's sure taking on a lot of extra work and pushing himself a lot more than would be expected.

How many "Bonding points" do you get on a regular playthrough - enough to see 66% of the events?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yeah, that's about right for the bonding points, it's not consistent from chapter to chapter, but normally you'll miss about 1 afternoon bonding event, and 1 evening one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How many "Bonding points" do you get on a regular playthrough - enough to see 66% of the events?

Something like that. You generally get about 3-4 Bonding Points per Free Day and there's at least one more event than you have points for (more, later on)

Evenings generally have 2-3 events and you get a single additional point. Unused morning points do carry over to the evening, but using that requires that you know ahead of time what events are happening.

Speaking of Bonding Events, we have another one in Episode 12: Why Am I So Stubborn?
No Commentary

The next few episodes will be live commentary.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh. How awkward. Yay. :geno:

I liked the little touch where it showed Rean practicing with his sword and studying. It's a reminder that sort of stuff is still happening offscreen.

It's quite clear that the teams were specifically arranged to put the quarreling people together. Oh good now maybe Rean and Alisa can stop being so awkward with each other now.

Oh, and even though I requested the no commentary versions, I have also gone and listened to the ones with commentary afterwards.

Ugghhhh one secret quest per chunk of quests? Those sound like they would take forever to find.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ugghhhh one secret quest per chunk of quests? Those sound like they would take forever to find.

Not really, if you're going about talking to every NPC anyway (as you should be :colbert:) you'll find the secret quests pretty quickly. There's I think only really two instances where the game truly dicks you over in that regard. Making you talk to that girl twice for no reason is a dick move game. :argh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

There's I think only really two instances where the game truly dicks you over in that regard.

Chapter 2's Field Study is pretty egregious.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
You're carrying over things from the previous save in a NG+. So how customizable is what you can carry over? Is it possible to only carry over, say, full bonding points, but nothing else? Just curious in case this ever comes to Steam, because I think it would really bug me to not be able to see all the events.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

You're carrying over things from the previous save in a NG+. So how customizable is what you can carry over? Is it possible to only carry over, say, full bonding points, but nothing else? Just curious in case this ever comes to Steam, because I think it would really bug me to not be able to see all the events.

It's never coming to Steam.

This is the new game plus screen. Upon beating the game the first time, you have 5 points to use. On the second, 10 points. On the third, all 15 points.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thanks for the screenshot, Slur.

I only have Max Bonding Points and Mira/Sepith carried over for this playthrough.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Slur posted:

It's never coming to Steam.

Oh right I remember you, you're the pessimistic guy. But yeah, it probably isn't coming to Steam. That's why I'm following this LP. Thanks for the screenshot, very informative.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh right I remember you, you're the pessimistic guy. But yeah, it probably isn't coming to Steam. That's why I'm following this LP. Thanks for the screenshot, very informative.

We like to make fun of Slur for being super pessimistic, but in this case I think he has a point. A PC port of Cold Steel would be a pretty huge undertaking for XSeed since there's no existing code for it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

We like to make fun of Slur for being super pessimistic, but in this case I think he has a point. A PC port of Cold Steel would be a pretty huge undertaking for XSeed since there's no existing code for it.

Well, there is existing code. Namely the code of the game you're LP-ing right now. Cold Steel uses an engine made by Sony called the Phyre-engine, which supports platforms such as the PS3, PS4, PS Vita and uh...Windows. So Cold Steel wouldn't need to be reprogrammed for PC, just like it wasn't reprogrammed for PS3. (or Vita, whatever the original code was) The existing code is mostly fine. "Mostly" meaning you'd still need a programming team to replace the Sony-specific system calls in the code with Windows Api calls, but you certainly wouldn't need to rewrite the code from scratch.

Of course, the main issue is who that programming team would be. The Phyre-engine has been used in quite a few games, some of them having received Windows ports, so it's not like programmers with knowledge of the engine don't exist. But who would employ them? I doubt Falcom would want to invest any money into porting a game to a platform to see no domestic market for and XSeed's not exactly so large that they could just hire a couple of extra programmers. Heck, Sara's semi-hired help if I recall correctly.

So yeah, it's kind of a difficult situation since it's probably JUST too much work for a single person to do all on her own.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Erpy posted:

Well, there is existing code. Namely the code of the game you're LP-ing right now. Cold Steel uses an engine made by Sony called the Phyre-engine, which supports platforms such as the PS3, PS4, PS Vita and uh...Windows. So Cold Steel wouldn't need to be reprogrammed for PC, just like it wasn't reprogrammed for PS3. (or Vita, whatever the original code was) The existing code is mostly fine. "Mostly" meaning you'd still need a programming team to replace the Sony-specific system calls in the code with Windows Api calls, but you certainly wouldn't need to rewrite the code from scratch.

Of course, the main issue is who that programming team would be. The Phyre-engine has been used in quite a few games, some of them having received Windows ports, so it's not like programmers with knowledge of the engine don't exist. But who would employ them? I doubt Falcom would want to invest any money into porting a game to a platform to see no domestic market for and XSeed's not exactly so large that they could just hire a couple of extra programmers. Heck, Sara's semi-hired help if I recall correctly.

So yeah, it's kind of a difficult situation since it's probably JUST too much work for a single person to do all on her own.

Nailed it right on the head with that one.

Furthermore, I don't think Falcom have done an in-house PC port of any of their Sony-exclusive titles to this moment. I've also heard that a good portion of their staff focus on any current project they are working on, and don't generally outsource many employees to other things except perhaps the localization programming of their console titles.

I'd love to see the game on Steam myself; more people need to play this game.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

Thanks for the screenshot, Slur.

I only have Max Bonding Points and Mira/Sepith carried over for this playthrough.

You didn't carry over the swimsuits?

Man, I am out. I was expecting a full Baywatch scene

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Istvun posted:

You didn't carry over the swimsuits?

Man, I am out. I was expecting a full Baywatch scene

You know your task for the next update: proceed to harass Some Numbers about it in the next video until he restarts and does the entire LP over again with everyone in swimsuits.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't think we were planning on a guest commentator but if it's for such a good cause I'll talk to Numbers

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I know I managed to update during my hellish week, but there was this American holiday that wrecked my schedule by letting me sleep.

Anyway, we're off to our field study! Episode 13: Card Games on Trains

No commentary version coming once I make it. Probably Friday, with episode 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

As a guess off the top of my head, since I've seen the LPs of Trails in the Sky, maybe that unnamed person would be Bleublanc? You mentioned that you knew who he was the first time around.

• Locked thread