Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I noticed that Alicia's healing arrow heals 40 CP to non-Alicia members, but only if they have under 100 CP. From her craft and the fire aligned spell she has, I'm thinking that she is the fire-aligned character, to fit her fiery personality. Gaius seems to be wind-aligned because of his craft.

"I've got you (covered)" and "(I see) an opening (to attack)" would kinda fit with things you'd say to your link partner though. Remember that these lines have to be kept very short to fit into about a second. I definitely think "I'll back you up" is what is said, but in a very rushed manner.

Actually, Alisa gives 40 CP no matter what with Blessed Arrow.

She gets a better craft later on in the game along the same lines which essentially turns Alisa into the best support unit in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I noticed that Alicia's healing arrow heals 40 CP to non-Alicia members, but only if they have under 100 CP. From her craft and the fire aligned spell she has, I'm thinking that she is the fire-aligned character, to fit her fiery personality.
She has a fire spell because she starts with a fire quartz, but you're right, her Orbment does lean fire.

quote:

Gaius seems to be wind-aligned because of his craft.
This is hilarious.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Slur posted:

Actually, Alisa gives 40 CP no matter what with Blessed Arrow.

So I guess Rean was out of range of it then. Because I was watching and his CP didn't go up.

Some Numbers posted:

This is hilarious.

Not really. It's not like you or the game has given me anything else to work with other than Gale Stinger. Sorry if I made a wrong guess because I have literally only one data point.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Not really. It's not like you or the game has given me anything else to work with other than Gale Stinger. Sorry if I made a wrong guess because I have literally only one data point.

Gaius is memetically known for his character being literally nothing but him talking about "THE WIND". Numbers is just being a butt to you.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

So I guess Rean was out of range of it then. Because I was watching and his CP didn't go up.

It has a pretty short range, and its AOE is pretty small. Still, it's a net gain of 80 CP if you hit the other 3 party members with it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
This hasn't come up much, but as I recall, everyone has a primary and secondary element associated with their orbment.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick, it's just that there are many things that could suggest that Gaius' main element is wind and Gale Stinger is not the first one I'd think of.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "yes, he's wind. Don't worry, the game will mention it. Way more than you want."

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I also don't know what the unique central quartz each character does. It can apparently also level up as well. Or maybe that's something to be saved for discussion in videos.

It's called Master Quartz and there's a few things worth knowing about it.

- Yes, Master Quartz can level up. It levels up kind of slowly though, but if you keep it on it generally reaches its max level (level 5) by the end of the game. Maxed out Master Quartz is generally some of the most broken poo poo in the game.

- All characters come with one unique one equipped and you get several additional ones over the course of the game through quests, chests or simply buying them from orbal factories. (there was one, Sceptre, which was already for sale early on, but I don't think Numbers bought it yet)

- Unlike most quartz, most Master Quartz comes with a list of multiple spells. So it's responsible for part of the characters' art list.

- Master Quartz can be exchanged freely (unless the character in your party is flagged as temporary), though lots of people keep the defaults on. Some of the later Master Quartz you buy is really worth equipping though.

- Rean's default Quartz is fire-based and its special power is giving him 5 CP for each enemy he kills. When maxed, it gives him 25 CP for each enemy he kills, which means you get a free S-craft on large groups. If you wondered why Rean's CP was barely ever running dry, this quartz has a lot to do with it.

- Alisa's default Quartz is space-based and its special power is auto-reviving her once per battle, which is great for support characters. As it gains levels, its revive ability upgrades, such as reviving you with 50% or 100% HP, EP and CP and when maxed, it full-revives you twice per battle.

- Elliot's default Quartz is water-based and its special power is powering up your healing arts. At max level, your healing arts are 3x as potent as they would be without it. Little note on healing arts in this game is that they use the ATS stat now, rather than healing a set amount of HP, meaning people with low ATS are lousy emergency healers.

- Laura's default Quartz is fire-based and its special power is buffing her ATK-stat by 25% for a few rounds at the start of each battle. (which is why she's hitting so hard) As it gains exp, the quartz' boost lasts longer and becomes 50%.

- Gaius' default Quartz is wind-based (as people mentioned, Gaius is rather religious and his people worship both Aidios and the wind, so he says "the wind" a lot) and gives him insight status for a few rounds at the start of each battle. (insight gives you perfect hit-rate and +50% dodge rate plus an unbalance bonus) and as the quartz gains levels, the buff lasts longer.

Master Quartz usually comes with additional little perks, but I can't remember most of them from the top of my head. (Gaius' quartz starts giving evade bonus as it levels up) The Sceptre Master Quartz that was already for sale is water-based and acts like an automatic sepith-up turn bonus whenever you attack. At max level, its sepith-producing rates are at 90%, but Numbers doesn't seem to be hurting for sepith right now, so I'm not seeing him use it any time soon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow, that's way more thorough that I was expecting.

I wasn't expecting to discuss this yet, but I'm not planning to get all the Master Quartz, partly because I won't use most of them and partly because it's impossible to get all 28 in a single playthrough (the most you can get is 27).

There are 28 Master Quartz in total, 4 of each of the 7 elements.

I am planning to show off some of the more exciting and broken abilities, but we're a long way from seeing any of those.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Rean's Autumn Leaf Cutter would be a top-tier craft in TitS. A point-targeting AoE which impedes and delays enemies turns? You could get one of those effects, but not both on a single craft. And he's got something better, too? Yikes.

Every craft is broken in this game. It gets to the point where you have trouble deciding between which overpowered options you want in your party. The crazy thing is that Autumn Leaf Cutter is kind of mid tier in my eyes because a lot more things resist AT delay.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Every craft is broken in this game. It gets to the point where you have trouble deciding between which overpowered options you want in your party. The crazy thing is that Autumn Leaf Cutter is kind of mid tier in my eyes because a lot more things resist AT delay.

For good reason, mind, because with some +speed Rean can lock down an enemy group by himself.
The problem is when bosses have enough speed that AT delay would actually be balanced AND resistance/immunity to every status and stat debuff.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Well the thread sure exploded.

IMO, Line setups aren't really that important in this game, locks are slightly more important.
Lines are I guess, if you care about status ailment quartz which is relevant...just not so much for boss fights.
Although most of the bosses are still vulnerable to some of the status ailments, I guess.

But more on topic, I've always been more concerned as to the ATS values of the characters, rather. Which I don't really know, but oh well.
(The numbers are on the internet somewhere, but eh...)

Managing master quartz seems really awkward and such though, I myself have no idea how I'd play if I were to ever play the game.

While I admit that Rean's craft list is pretty broken, I myself don't feel that it's overly insanely broken aside from that fact that all his crafts do something, which are pretty good.
And the fact that, I can't really think of anyone else who has an arguably more broken craft list. For certain definitions anyway.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Rean was the single most broken character in ALL of the games so far.

Re: Crafts, my own personal opinion is that some of the general aoe (or "worse", single target crafts) are niche at best and underwhelming at worst.
E.G, Alisa's Flamberge is single target, it's not "bad" per se mostly only because Alisa is a range character and it has a decent (50%) burn chance which still works on bosses which shaves off hp fairly fast, but otherwise it's kind of sucky to use.
Now Blessed Arrow is just silly powerful, the only thing keeping it from being totally ridiculous is the comparatively small aoe which is still fairly large if you ask me.

Even a simple craft like Motivate is quite "unreasonably" powerful for what it's worth.

Edit 1.1: I went to check the japanese version, but..it didn't really help much, if any, as to what Elliot is saying. Oh well.

I also went to check the ATS values, although this is more of a relative ATS value.
The characters seem to be grouped into bunches so to speak
[Emma>Elliot>Alisa>Jusis]>>[Machias>Rean]>>>[Fie>Laura>Gaius]

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 13, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's been a weird week fraught with technical issues and I missed Wednesday's update due to sheer incompetence.

But, better late than never!

Episode 16: You're UG in Japan
No commentary

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I wonder if any newcomers have noticed what Laura did yet? It gets revealed pretty soon, but it's pretty nice in how one of those "Oh, it's nothing" bits is actually based on things that have happened on screen rather than an arbitrary handwave made to justify someone acting suspicious.

I certainly didn't notice it in my first playthrough--of course, I also wasn't looking for it at the time either.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 15, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Alectai posted:

I wonder if any newcomers have noticed what Laura did yet? It gets revealed pretty soon, but it's pretty nice in how one of those "Oh, it's nothing" bits is actually based on things that have happened on screen rather than an arbitrary handwave made to justify someone acting suspicious.

I certainly didn't notice it in my first playthrough--of course, I also wasn't looking for it at the time either.

It gets revealed in exactly two episodes!

I think.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Huh, rewatching Chapter 13, you can actually see the West Cedric highway from the train in the "approaching Cedric" scene on the train. Nice detail.

Looks like Alisa has some issues with her family. And I wonder what's bothering Laura. At first I thought she was also wondering what Alisa's problem with the ARCUS was, but then leaving the farm something else seemed to be on her mind as well. All I can guess is that she recognizes the monster and realizes that it's suspiciously out of place, but that's all I've got, and that doesn't fit the "something she did onscreen" criteria.

Looks like there's a cutscene in town before we get back to the inn. Hmm.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There may or may not have been a recording session tonight that may or may not have included me not actually recording any video.

It's hard to tell, the records have been purged.

Also, this alleged recording session may have featured Ewie and UG yelling at me for killing pandas. It's a mystery.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I can't think of anything clever right now. Have an update.

Episode 17: I Have a Belter of an Idea!
No commentary

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm, after the previous episode, I was wondering if the reason Laura was thinking was because she realized that the provincial military didn't seem to be doing their jobs very well. Providing an guard for someone changing an orbment and fighting a giant monster bothering the farmers, that's the kind of thing soldiers (like the students are training to me) should be doing. (Of course there's no excuse for the priest being too lazy to pick up his own drat shopping.)

This update definitely seems to suggest that the provincial soldiers are not being very helpful at all, so maybe that guess was on the mark. Still though, the students assessment that there's not much that they can do about it seems correct, so screw Sara for leaving it up to the kids to resolve. I mean if even Jusis can't help, what can these students not old enough to drink do? They don't have any authority whatsoever.

It makes some sense that Alisa would know about sales I guess, if that speculation about her family is right. It is nice that Rean wasn't automatically the best because he's the lead character.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In today's episode, our heroes have a heart to heart. Also, being familiar with Trails in the Sky will help contextualize things.

Episode 18: Why Have You Chosen to Hold Back?
No commentary

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So yeah, the revelation of why Laura's been giving the stink eye for so long--she's arguably the most perceptive member of the group.

No real spoilers ahead, but I'll blackbox them anyway because some people may not be putting all the pieces together even though the shape of the whole thing can be seen by now.

Rean isn't the typical viewer-surrogate character--like all Trails in the Skies MCs, he's got a bundle of issues a mile wide. Estelle's issues were that she didn't have the patience to learn the important little bits of "Being a Bracer" because she had Joshua to handle those bits for her so she could just get good at hitting things with sticks and everything would be fine.

Rean's issue is the opposite. His problem is his personality, and his refusal to commit himself even when its in his own best interest. You also get a good example of how he deals with it in his discussion with Laura. She knows full well that he's brilliant, and she treats the fact that he doesn't outstrip her as him holding back for some reason. Which is why she got so annoyed when he started dismissing his own skill and claiming he's just a beginner who never amounted to anything. How else are you going to react to someone who just lied to you with a straight face?

This conversation is the first time that it actively points out how nobody's actually being fooled by his constant deflections and dismissals of himself. But you can tie in most of the bit with Laura pulling the ominous looks out with periods where Rean tries deflecting his success at something off to something external to himself--and this pushes Laura's buttons because she puts an astonishing amount of effort into being as badass as she is--and here Rean is trying to claim that hard work is meaningless and that any scrub could reach his level--which is very close to hers.

She's just the first person to actually call him out directly on it. To plant the seed that "No, not everybody can get the attention of one of the best swordmasters in the world, and taken in as a student for any period of time." To get him to actually apply himself instead of just coasting.

HIs character arc is actually pretty decent, as expected of the Kiseki series.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
They couldn't have come up with a better asset for a "night time gate" for the market? That's just a picket fence, it looks nothing like a gate, never mind an effective gate.

In TitS SC, it's mentioned that the Erebonian military food sucks, largely because they have such a friggin' huge army that they need to feed it as cheaply as possible, so the Academy food probably isn't the height of luxury.

Rean is totally lying to Laura about him not holding back. I remember when they fought the gargoyle. After they beat it and it got its second wind, Rean thought "It's no use. We're too spent to go another round with it! ...Guess I have no choice. I'll have to..." That line was suspicious at the time, but this episode confirms it for me. He was about to do a really fancy move to take it out, but he was saved from having to reveal his skill by the arrival of the girls. But why is he lying to Laura? Does he really have an inferiority complex about his abilities like Zane or Richard from TitS?

I do like the friendship which has developed between Rean and Laura because they are both followers of a way of the sword. She's actually picked up enough to be calling him out, and probably even enough to realize that he was lying to her about not holding back (hence walking out in a mini-huff). Because yeah, him being a direct student of one of the most renowned swordsmen in the world and still claiming to be just a boring ordinary commoner? No, I don't think so.

"It's not like I've been consciously paying attention to him or anything! Honestly!"

Say it all you want Alisa, but no one believes you. No. One. (I'm not kidding here, judging from the reactions of all the other students, absolutely none of them are fooled. ...Well, except Rean, probably.)

Only two tasks, huh? Both mandatory optional? The secret surprise should be interesting. FEDIT: Ah, Big Big Trouble, this must be it.

It seems clear what's going on here. The hidden purpose of this trip is to expose that Duke Albarea is deliberately causing problems for the market to pressure them to pay him extra tax money, and that's even extended to having provincial soldiers sabotage merchant stalls and steal their goods.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 21, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some good solid speculation there. I like it.

quote:

Only two tasks, huh? Both mandatory.
Actually they're both optional. Not that that stopped me.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

In TitS SC, it's mentioned that the Erebonian military food sucks, largely because they have such a friggin' huge army that they need to feed it as cheaply as possible, so the Academy food probably isn't the height of luxury.

That's not entirely true actually. First of all, the upper class students live in a dorm building that's outfitted with maids and servants who cook for them and it's mentioned by some NPCs that the standards are quite high. The people who live in the lower class dorms have to cook for themselves, though quite a few of them eat at the Kirsche Bar in town or at the cafeteria in the student union building whenever they're feeling lazy and the food in both places is considered quite tasty.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

One thing I think people are missing is that Thors Military Academy isn't really a service academy in the same sense as some place such as West Point or the Air Force Academy. There are some suggestions it USED to be like that, but these days there's no requirement of joining military(whether national or provincial) service upon graduation, though many still do.

In that sense, it has evolved into being more like one of the various so-called senior military colleges in the US, where there are extensive programs for commissioning but other options exist as well. Hell, of the 6 senior military colleges, 5 of them mirror Thors fairly well - having used to be purely military academies, but now offer both a corps of cadets along with a civilian student body. Even the last one doesn't mandate active military service, unlike the service academies, just requiring enlistment into the ROTC of one of the branches.

Ergo, the academy is not actually run by the military, though officers might be present, and thus does not necessarily adhere to everything the military deals with.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 21, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Alectai posted:

So yeah, the revelation of why Laura's been giving the stink eye for so long--she's arguably the most perceptive member of the group.

No real spoilers ahead, but I'll blackbox them anyway because some people may not be putting all the pieces together even though the shape of the whole thing can be seen by now.

Rean isn't the typical viewer-surrogate character--like all Trails in the Skies MCs, he's got a bundle of issues a mile wide. Estelle's issues were that she didn't have the patience to learn the important little bits of "Being a Bracer" because she had Joshua to handle those bits for her so she could just get good at hitting things with sticks and everything would be fine.

Rean's issue is the opposite. His problem is his personality, and his refusal to commit himself even when its in his own best interest.
(snip)
HIs character arc is actually pretty decent, as expected of the Kiseki series.

Neat stuff. I've got a theory on Rean's backstory based on what he's said and what others have said about him so far, but I'll save it for after the next update. Even though I know nothing about the story, just by paying attention, you can pick up a lot - just like you could for Joshua in TitS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ewie forgot to remind me, but I rewatched the episode, so I reminded myself.

Speedwalker!

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
I actually noticed something of sort which I completely (kind of) forgot about.

There's both a "East Trista Highway" and a "West Trista Highway", right? I believe they're on the map when we were at Trista.

I presume we don't have access to them, which is why we haven't seen anything, but what's the reason we can't go there?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

There's both a "East Trista Highway" and a "West Trista Highway", right? I believe they're on the map when we were at Trista.

I presume we don't have access to them, which is why we haven't seen anything, but what's the reason we can't go there?

School regulations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

Same reason you can't go past certain points on the highways on field missions or visit the eastern highlands. The plot doesn't want you straying off to other towns on foot. While you can't walk onto the highways during gameplay, there are a handful of bonding events and cutscenes that take place there.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016

Slur posted:

School regulations.

How convenient.

Oh well, I guess it can't be helped ...though it sounds really odd as to why they would want to prevent students from going there.

It can't possibly be that dangerous, plus these are military academy students after all. Maybe some other kind of reason, I dunno.

I'd bring up some other points but they'd be spoilers so oh well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

This next update does not have a single bit of voice acting.

Episode 19: A Burgeoning Conspiracy
No Commentary

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm not sure how relevant this is but Sean Chiplock, Rean's voice actor, apparently has a Soundcloud page where he sings a lot about skeletons

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

How convenient.

Oh well, I guess it can't be helped ...though it sounds really odd as to why they would want to prevent students from going there.

It can't possibly be that dangerous, plus these are military academy students after all. Maybe some other kind of reason, I dunno.

I'd bring up some other points but they'd be spoilers so oh well.

That's kind of my interpretation anyways. The reason that Rean doesn't go there himself is usually along the lines of "I shouldn't be here right now".

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Really Pants posted:

I'm not sure how relevant this is but Sean Chiplock, Rean's voice actor, apparently has a Soundcloud page where he sings a lot about skeletons

Wow he got really into Undertale.

I know he did a Q&A on GameFAQs of all places, and there was that nothing personnel kid edit that sprung out of someone's terrible Sonic OC, too - he is unabashedly a huge nerd and I respect that a lot.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

This next update does not have a single bit of voice acting.

Episode 19: A Burgeoning Conspiracy
No Commentary

Even so, I still appreciate the no commentary versions. The music is pretty decent, and reading is easier when you don't have to divide your concentration.

The Bracers are a multinational organization and in fact are explicitly PROHIBITED from taking sides in matters between states, which means they can't fight in wars. This was actually important in TitS FC and SC.

THEY'RE IN THE NATURE PARK GUYS. (It's the only distinctive place around.)

Even though I know nothing about the plot of this game, haven’t played it, haven’t looked anything up, I’ve got a pretty good idea what Rean’s deal is.

I think Rean must have been adopted by nobles based on the very careful way he’s phrased things. But I think that there might be more to it than that. Recent updates seem to suggest that Rean has a bit of an inferiorty and/or guilt complex. He doesn’t seem to feel himself worthy.

I think Rean was born a commoner to commoner parents. They probably had very close ties to a noble family. Rean might even have been friends with the child of those nobles. But something happened. A terrible, shattering tragedy. Rean was left without parents, and the nobles without their child.

The nobles decided to take Rean in, and raise him as one of their own from that point. Rean would be given all the advantages that the dead noble child would have had… but Rean knows that they were never meant for him, and he feels guilty and unworthy of benefiting so much from such a tragedy.

That is why he tries to give so much of himself, such as taking on the student council tasks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Bracers are a multinational organization and in fact are explicitly PROHIBITED from taking sides in matters between states, which means they can't fight in wars. This was actually important in TitS FC and SC.

I had actually forgotten this point, but it's a pretty important one.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I had actually forgotten this point, but it's a pretty important one.

Except they break this rule many-a-time. To name one off the top of my head, (TRAILS FC/SC SPOILERS) Estelle preventing Olivier from invading Liberl at the end of SC, as well as the party taking contracts from the queen herself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Slur posted:

Except they break this rule many-a-time. To name one off the top of my head, (TRAILS FC/SC SPOILERS) Estelle preventing Olivier from invading Liberl at the end of SC

Invasion? What invasion?? Erebonia was gallantly marshaling its forces to deliver a valued ally in their time of crisis, and the Bracer Guild graciously asserted that Imperial assistance was appreciated but unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They couldn't have fought for either side if it had actually broken out into a war but it didn't so they were fine, and they didn't take any requests from the queen that entailed fighting against another nation on her behalf.

• Locked thread