Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

padijun posted:

I will fight people who A) pronouce Hercule Poirot's name wrong, or B) say he's from France

He's from make-believe, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

they probably never will because theyve already doen a heinlein book, but i would love to see the boys tackle farnhams freehold, which is incredibly, incredibly racist and also has some real weird incest stuff

I just started listening to this podcast, but I think I'm going to skip the Stranger in a Strange Land ep because I have vague but good memories of reading it at 14 and don't want them shattered.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I will chime in and say I prefer when it's not just pot shots at airport fiction. I like the weird poo poo I've never heard of.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You've probably all heard Doors songs all the way through you weirdos. You've probably heard them all the way through multiple times in lovely department stores alone.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember fat ol Brando slubbin his tub around

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Trees is a silly rear end song and it's been poo poo on forever, because it's silly as gently caress. I expected them to poo poo on it even more really. Also, I like Rush.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I Before E posted:

The only part that got me mad on the latest LTTA is when they said having Fairytale be your favorite Christmas song is suspect, because other than that, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), and Last Christmas, Christmas songs are bad.

It is the only Christmas song (that I know of) that has the word "human being" in it.

So that's something.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Why was Jay's twitter suspended?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah for fucks sake bring back the crabs

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It gets over used on the internet but Dilbert's Dad is as close to the personification of the Dunning-Kruger effect as you can get.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked that period of time where he was cleverly trying to "persuade" people on Twitter by pretending that he was feeling bullied by Clinton supporters.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I thought he'd be fatter. I guess he just has a heavy voice.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's a pretty solid look, honestly. It's the look of a man with a bunch of Camel Cash.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm betting it's a Choose Your Own Adventure book, those are all very short.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

That's my guess, self-published or maybe fan-fiction.

So like that dino-sex lady or the pounded in the butt guy?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hunh, I prefer Chris. No real reason why.

I wish they'd do more classical lit, too, while I'm posting in here.

What classic lit episodes have they done? I'd rather not have them try to take A Pilgrim's Progress or something down a few pegs if that's what you're suggesting.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't know, it might be pretty funny to hear them do Pilgrim's Progress. I was thinking today that I'd enjoy how angry Tess of the d'Urbervilles would make them.

I heard enough complaining about that in the 9th grade. I don't want more.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah it's pretty weird that this dumb book is the one people got bent out of shape about. They're sort of smug in every episode, that's basically what the podcast is.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What happened to the Rush podcast?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The book is sincere and strange but works as a better unintentional satire than the movie does an intentional one. The movie is cool and good but dresses its characters as Nazis then pats itself on the back for being a big smart boy who figured out Nazis were bad. Also if you extend that metaphor the movie seems to imply that Jewish people (or Russians?) are monstrous bugs. Also Collision is right when he says Verhoeven didn't understand the book since he has said publicly he didn't read it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The book is dogshit, 9/10ths of it are just characters dryly reiterating about how the military is the best thing ever and how the military should run everything and how the military's enemies are awful monsters that need to be exterminated.

There's absolutely no satire in the novel.

Not intentionally. It's been decades since I read it but if I remember correctly the hero nukes a church in the first chapter and burns fleeing intelligent aliens to death.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nah, Verhoeven understood the book extremely well, which is why he threw it in the loving trash after reading two chapters. (Its bad and so are its politics)

Also, extremely lol at the idea that Paul Verhoeven, a man who literally grew up during the nazi occupation of the netherlands, is somehow "patting himself on the back for realizing nazis are bad"

In interviews he literally brought up the costumes, and explained that Americans didn't get that his Nazis were Nazis. It's a fine vagina-bug movie, but the satire is juvenile. I mean, maybe I'm asking too much for the man who brought us Showgirls to be more subtle but whatever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu fuckin moron

its about how the us military is fascist and dehumanizes its enemies not nazis specifically

Gee whiz maybe he was trying to make a point about Americans or something

Yeah my point is it's hamfisted and dumb.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It's pretty clear that you don't actually get it, especially since you think the book is satirical

No, I think the book is trying to be dead serious. It's just absurd and scary to the degree that I think it works as an unintentional satire.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Look, I should have known better to kick this particular hornets nest. I've just never been super impressed with Verhoeven in general, despite liking some of his movies. Sorry for the derail.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Last Action Hero, Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers are like the holy trinity of 90s movies that weren't that great but have had people hailing them as underrated gems almost since the day they came out on the grounds that people didn't get that they were satires. And it's like, OK but whether or not people didn't get that these were supposed to be satire that doesn't make them any better as films.

Shhhhhhhh :ohdear:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The thing is, Last Action Hero, The Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers all own to varying degrees.

Also, they did a Patreon episode about the movie Starship Troopers
https://twitter.com/ideotvpod/status/958564888787394560
https://twitter.com/ideotvpod/status/958565525059141634
I would NOT like to know more :smug:

No J! shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

:ohdear:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Speaking of “it’s for a project,” this week’s episode has J get savagely dunked by someone for reading a Jack Reacher book in public.

At least it was just a Reacher book, better to be mocked for that than for reading a Gor book in public.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really liked the deeper dive they made on the author in this one. Made me want a dedicated pulp fiction podcast, either one where they systematically go through more popular authors or a pulp roulette kind of show where they’d randomly have to review a public domain pulp short story every episode. I don’t think it’d work with J and Chris as the hosts but someone could do it. I know there’s dedicated Lovecraft and REH podcasts but I’d like a more general pulp show.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I read Pirate Latitudes when it came out and all I remember about it is that I read it in like a day because it was so short, and that you could tell that 90% of it wasn’t written by Crichton. I remember way back a guest on the podcast suggested that a bunch of his books were probably ghost written and immediately thinking about Pirate Latitudes and how that obviously isn’t true. His later books get pretty dire but the shift in voice from something lovely like Next and this book is very noticeable.

Deformed Church posted:

Also I know this has been discussed to death but I wish they'd shy away from things that are more offensive than they are weird. Its an important thing to tackle and I agree with their views 99% of the time but I listen on my commute and getting angry isn't a great start to my day or a great way to unwind after work.

Their reactions to it just strike me as not genuine half the time. Chris has said multiple times that he’s a fan of old pulp novels and as someone who reads those I can tell you the casual racism stops standing out after a while. Likewise, Jay’s said that he loves King but still reels at awkward lovely sex scenes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

Hey we get a shoutout in the latest episode! Apparently we're a bunch of fedora wearers who go around saying "M'lady" all the time?

Guess I gotta go update my fashion.

I must have missed it, do they call out this thread specifically?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

He's pretty good in small doses, but his jokey tics and idiosyncrasies get tiring.

Mostly, I'd like to have guest cohosts again just for a change of pace.

I’d be fine with just more guests, but I guess it might be hard for them to get people living in SF.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

can’t wait

https://youtu.be/VMBylNJQEbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m glad they both seem to be in a better place mentally, pretty good episode too!