Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Bojack went from irreverent funny to sappy melodrama in record time. They didn't even bother establishing their comic voice for a few seasons before veering into cringe inducing maudlin as is the standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
the new adam sandler david spade movie has a m night shamalan style twist in it ala the 6th sense

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Maria Bamford has a new show but they don't advertise it (at least I don't see it) and it isn't called "Maria Bamford's new thing" so you can't find it
it's called "Lady Dynamite" and it's pretty good

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Maria Bamford has a new show but they don't advertise it (at least I don't see it) and it isn't called "Maria Bamford's new thing" so you can't find it
it's called "Lady Dynamite" and it's pretty good

it was advertised on my front page thing when i log in

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

JakeP posted:

it was advertised on my front page thing when i log in

netflix advertises that adam sandler movie to me and that is all i get why does it think that way about me :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

netflix advertises that adam sandler movie to me and that is all i get why does it think that way about me :smith:

Netflix knows you like terrible things

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
nacros is good

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

They know your viewing history so clearly you have bad taste.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Pubic Lair posted:

I stumbled across F is for Family with absolutely no expectations and it was really good. It has a cold open and starts slow but after 5 minutes I was hooked.

I'll give this a try because I turned it on for 2-3 minutes and went 'eh.' I did the same thing for Bojack Horseman though and I ended up loving that.

I liked Marco Polo. Yeah it wasn't the best but I'm a sucker for kung fu stuff and that's a cool intro song. Narcos was good. I like OitnB.

notZaar posted:

Bojack went from irreverent funny to sappy melodrama in record time. They didn't even bother establishing their comic voice for a few seasons before veering into cringe inducing maudlin as is the standard.

:jerkbag:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Profondo Rosso posted:

Arrested development season 4 was real good, albeit different from the Fox seasons

Kill yourself

notZaar posted:

Well nerds eat that cringey poo poo up

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
God forbid a show has any kind of emotional stuff or anything it must be COMIC VOICE for seasons unending.

The very first season was 'dark' melodrama so I don't quite know at what point you were surprised that it isn't going to just be silly funsies with the horse man.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
BoJack is my spirit animal

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
The netflix shows (like most shows) should have shorter seasons so they don't feel tempted to add a bunch of bizarre side-poo poo to the main story to fill time. Five minutes ago we were fighting the punisher, now we're fighting ninja undead? Get the gently caress out of here with that.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

sorry its good and u cant appreciate change in ur precious sitcoms

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Naerasa posted:

The netflix shows (like most shows) should have shorter seasons so they don't feel tempted to add a bunch of bizarre side-poo poo to the main story to fill time. Five minutes ago we were fighting the punisher, now we're fighting ninja undead? Get the gently caress out of here with that.

I like how the episode run times aren't stringent like they are for broadcast. I don't know what they are now, but in the 90's TV needed 18 minutes of commercials per hour, so an hour show was about 42 minutes long. Not needing to fit in a 42 minute runtime, if one episode tells all it needs to tell in 40 minutes, it's good, but if another episode needs 65 it can be 65 minutes without needing to be a two part episod (padded out to 84 minutes)

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Roylicious posted:

God forbid a show has any kind of emotional stuff or anything it must be COMIC VOICE for seasons unending.

Well the problem isn't that it's emotional stuff, the problem is that the show is just trying so goddamn hard to be sad and melodramatic that it just comes off as ham-fisted. I'm sure if the only media you consume consists of anime cartoons and video games it seems well written but, you know.

Profondo Rosso posted:

sorry its good and u cant appreciate change in ur precious sitcoms

All the existing characters turned into parodies of themselves, all the new characters were really bad, and I wasn't a fan of the controversial decision to replace Portia de Rossi with a wax model of Portia de Rossi.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

ArtIsResistance posted:

Well the problem isn't that it's emotional stuff, the problem is that the show is just trying so goddamn hard to be sad and melodramatic that it just comes off as ham-fisted. I'm sure if the only media you consume consists of anime cartoons and video games it seems well written but, you know.

I mean yeah alright it does get a bit ham-fisted by the end but you come off as so eye-rollingly 'internet person trying to be sophisticated' that it's painful. Believe it or not I enjoy literature, plays, operas, etc. but I also enjoy some cartoons as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other every time.

Not every joke lands but many of them do. The Vincent Adultman thing is pretty funny even if it is stupid :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ArtIsResistance posted:

This is a bad opinion

ArtIsResistance posted:

All the existing characters turned into parodies of themselves, all the new characters were really bad, and I wasn't a fan of the controversial decision to replace Portia de Rossi with a wax model of Portia de Rossi.

This is a good opinion

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Sorry friend but it's one extreme or the other. Nothing in the middle is ever acceptable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Roylicious posted:

Not every joke lands but many of them do. The Vincent Adultman thing is pretty funny even if it is stupid :shrug:

I'm working at the business factory as we speak!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Roylicious posted:

The very first season was 'dark' melodrama so I don't quite know at what point you were surprised that it isn't going to just be silly funsies with the horse man.

Yeah but in the case of Bojack it's just poorly written so the drama comes off as forced and artificial, whereas the comic bits were actually clever and funny.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Does that make it not worth watching though?

I thought season 1 was good, drama and comedy both.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i thought the vincent adultman joke would have a much bigger payoff. i guess that's how i felt about bojack as a whole. it felt like a parody of generic "adult" cartoons that would eventually have a payoff but it never did. and I can't tell if the jokes and story are written to be disappointing or if they already told their punchline and it just wasn't funny.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

notZaar posted:

Yeah but in the case of Bojack it's just poorly written so the drama comes off as forced and artificial, whereas the comic bits were actually clever and funny.

I don't think that we can be friends

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Not sure if the pilot of Bojack was the worst thing i have seen on netflix or the pilot of Fuller house.
Probably Bojack.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

scott zoloft posted:

i thought the vincent adultman joke would have a much bigger payoff. i guess that's how i felt about bojack as a whole. it felt like a parody of generic "adult" cartoons that would eventually have a payoff but it never did. and I can't tell if the jokes and story are written to be disappointing or if they already told their punchline and it just wasn't funny.

Vicent Adultman was just funny there's no big payoff or punchline waiting like how Arrested Development tied everything back together at the end. There's set up for future jokes and stuff but it's not really all that complicated. Sounds like you just didn't dig it, which is fine.

Personally I thought him taking those muffins and the veteran getting all huffy about it was hilarious.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Roylicious posted:

I mean yeah alright it does get a bit ham-fisted by the end but you come off as so eye-rollingly 'internet person trying to be sophisticated' that it's painful. Believe it or not I enjoy literature, plays, operas, etc. but I also enjoy some cartoons as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other every time.

Believe it or not, I too enjoy "cartoons". My problem isn't with Bojack trying to be emotional to begin with, it's that it tries waaaaay too hard to be emotional.

This'll probably make some dickhead post something like "OH THAT EXPLAINS A LOT" but I disliked the Vincent Adultman thing, mostly because the joke didn't land for me the first time and oh hey we'll just use this whacky & zany character for a whole season without any new jokes. DANGER ZONE hahahahaha

notZaar posted:

This is pretty much the sentiment I was going for, it's not bad BECAUSE it has emotional drama poo poo, it's bad because it just shoves in the emotional drama poo poo to seem edgy.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

House of Cards, Bloodline, Narcos, Marco Polo, Dare Devil, Jessica Jones, Kimmy Schmidt, Pee-Wee's Big Holiday, etc. Da gently caress are you talking about OP?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

ArtIsResistance posted:

Believe it or not, I too enjoy "cartoons". My problem isn't with Bojack trying to be emotional to begin with, it's that it tries waaaaay too hard to be emotional.

This'll probably make some dickhead post something like "OH THAT EXPLAINS A LOT" but I disliked the Vincent Adultman thing, mostly because the joke didn't land for me the first time and oh hey we'll just use this whacky & zany character for a whole season without any new jokes. DANGER ZONE hahahahaha

This is pretty much the sentiment I was going for, it's not bad BECAUSE it has emotional drama poo poo, it's bad because it just shoves in the emotional drama poo poo to seem edgy.

But that's just like, your opinion man. I though it had some touching moments and the whole thing about his friend not forgiving him before he died was pretty brutal.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

client posted:

bloodline is most brutally boring show i have ever seen. it's legit impressive.

It gets more exciting in the second half of s1, but yeah it starts out really slow.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

BoJack Horseman is the only good thing from Netflix

ya reminds me a lot of family guy. its pretty hilarious!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
all the drama in bjack horseman is funny though maybe they didn't intend it that way

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Roylicious posted:

But that's just like, your opinion man. I though it had some touching moments and the whole thing about his friend not forgiving him before he died was pretty brutal.

Ya that was a pretty good own I also liked it when Henry Winkler was like "you searched for meaning in death, but there is no meaning in death and that's okay :)" but having said that I disliked how Henry Winkler was all like, "I'm Henry Winkler! Playing myself on this show! haha" different strokes different folks.

Can I talk about all the cartoons I have opinions on here I have a lot of opinions like how Bob Burgers is a bad show for unfunny people and the latest season of Venture Bros was really really really bad

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

mdm posted:

Jodie Sweetin got some tittays in Fuller House, now we know why the house is fuller!

She really rocks em in the first episode .

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

I'd watch this. Is this on Netfix?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Ahundredbux posted:

all the drama in bjack horseman is funny though maybe they didn't intend it that way

i just thought it got really really boring! i don't watch TV to care about feelings

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ArtIsResistance posted:

Ya that was a pretty good own I also liked it when Henry Winkler was like "you searched for meaning in death, but there is no meaning in death and that's okay :)" but having said that I disliked how Henry Winkler was all like, "I'm Henry Winkler! Playing myself on this show! haha" different strokes different folks.

Can I talk about all the cartoons I have opinions on here I have a lot of opinions like how Bob Burgers is a bad show for unfunny people and the latest season of Venture Bros was really really really bad
I disagree with your opinion about these two cartoons.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
eagerly awaiting the secret squirrel reboot

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

notZaar posted:

I disagree with your opinion about these two cartoons.

THREE. THERE ARE THREE NOW

ninja edit: I thought the newest season of venture bros was gonna be the last one which probably contributed heavily to my disappointment when NOTHING loving HAPPENED so sway my opinion somewhere else and make me like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Kimmy schmidt show is ok.

I heard that show where the nazis won ww2 is ok. (nvm thats amazon)

The netflix original movie beasts of no nation is fuckin excellent but it is not a show

• Locked thread