Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Pubic Lair posted:

I stumbled across F is for Family with absolutely no expectations and it was really good. It has a cold open and starts slow but after 5 minutes I was hooked.

I'll give this a try because I turned it on for 2-3 minutes and went 'eh.' I did the same thing for Bojack Horseman though and I ended up loving that.

I liked Marco Polo. Yeah it wasn't the best but I'm a sucker for kung fu stuff and that's a cool intro song. Narcos was good. I like OitnB.

notZaar posted:

Bojack went from irreverent funny to sappy melodrama in record time. They didn't even bother establishing their comic voice for a few seasons before veering into cringe inducing maudlin as is the standard.

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
God forbid a show has any kind of emotional stuff or anything it must be COMIC VOICE for seasons unending.

The very first season was 'dark' melodrama so I don't quite know at what point you were surprised that it isn't going to just be silly funsies with the horse man.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

ArtIsResistance posted:

Well the problem isn't that it's emotional stuff, the problem is that the show is just trying so goddamn hard to be sad and melodramatic that it just comes off as ham-fisted. I'm sure if the only media you consume consists of anime cartoons and video games it seems well written but, you know.

I mean yeah alright it does get a bit ham-fisted by the end but you come off as so eye-rollingly 'internet person trying to be sophisticated' that it's painful. Believe it or not I enjoy literature, plays, operas, etc. but I also enjoy some cartoons as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other every time.

Not every joke lands but many of them do. The Vincent Adultman thing is pretty funny even if it is stupid :shrug:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Does that make it not worth watching though?

I thought season 1 was good, drama and comedy both.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

scott zoloft posted:

i thought the vincent adultman joke would have a much bigger payoff. i guess that's how i felt about bojack as a whole. it felt like a parody of generic "adult" cartoons that would eventually have a payoff but it never did. and I can't tell if the jokes and story are written to be disappointing or if they already told their punchline and it just wasn't funny.

Vicent Adultman was just funny there's no big payoff or punchline waiting like how Arrested Development tied everything back together at the end. There's set up for future jokes and stuff but it's not really all that complicated. Sounds like you just didn't dig it, which is fine.

Personally I thought him taking those muffins and the veteran getting all huffy about it was hilarious.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

ArtIsResistance posted:

Believe it or not, I too enjoy "cartoons". My problem isn't with Bojack trying to be emotional to begin with, it's that it tries waaaaay too hard to be emotional.

This'll probably make some dickhead post something like "OH THAT EXPLAINS A LOT" but I disliked the Vincent Adultman thing, mostly because the joke didn't land for me the first time and oh hey we'll just use this whacky & zany character for a whole season without any new jokes. DANGER ZONE hahahahaha

This is pretty much the sentiment I was going for, it's not bad BECAUSE it has emotional drama poo poo, it's bad because it just shoves in the emotional drama poo poo to seem edgy.

But that's just like, your opinion man. I though it had some touching moments and the whole thing about his friend not forgiving him before he died was pretty brutal.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

ArtIsResistance posted:

Ya that was a pretty good own I also liked it when Henry Winkler was like "you searched for meaning in death, but there is no meaning in death and that's okay :)" but having said that I disliked how Henry Winkler was all like, "I'm Henry Winkler! Playing myself on this show! haha" different strokes different folks.

Can I talk about all the cartoons I have opinions on here I have a lot of opinions like how Bob Burgers is a bad show for unfunny people and the latest season of Venture Bros was really really really bad

I actually don't like Bob's Burgers very much. The kids really get on my nerves like why are you purposefully sabotaging your family just for shits you demon child argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Ruggan posted:

Narcos was good, but I didn't really find the DEA side of the storyline to be that interesting (felt forced and contrived).

Yeah I agree, I found myself basically just waiting for those bits to end. I get the value of the PoV from the DEA but yeah it felt not super well done and I could have even done without the family drama stuff. Just an agent realizing how futile his job really is would have been fine.

• Locked thread