Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ywCRTG7LbU
TOOT TOOT NEW ALP AD TO AIR DURING STATE OF ORIGIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shooters and Fishers MP Robert Borsak, who previously revealed shooting an elephant while on a hunting trip in Africa, says he ate the animal ‘but not in one sitting’

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Shooters and Fishers MP Robert Borsak, who previously revealed shooting an elephant while on a hunting trip in Africa, says he ate the animal ‘but not in one sitting’

Boooo lame

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

V for Vegas posted:

I think Cruz is a good analogue. Lies as easily as breathing. Made his name in politics by just saying No! to the opposition (and to any weak-kneed politicians on his own side). Is actually quite smart but plays the demagogue, is completely self-centered and narcissistic and simply cannot fathom how anyone could be better as leader than him. Plays up the religious angle when it suits but would drop it in a heartbeat if it would get him more votes, - could go on and on.

Cruz attacks his own party almost as much as democrats. The US has a system that doesn't allow for as much control of individual members as Australia so it's much more difficult/impossible to kick people out of your party for doing the sorts of things Cruz does. Abbott has played aggressively but within his party apparatus; he was confirmed as party leader on a majority vote and, as a self centred and narcissistic he is, his policies were pretty typical conservative policies (which is partly why Turnbull hasn't changed many of them).

I also don't give Abbott the same credit to his intelligence as you; I don't think he's smart, I think he's loud and belligerent and would fall apart in any job outside of being leader of an opposition party.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Byolante posted:

Maybe, and this is just a guess, if Labor's leadership ranks weren't amoral scumbag lawyers who do hostile takeovers of small unions to become players and instead were actually representing the majority of Australians then the general public might vote for somebody who isn't a complete rightwing shitlord. As it is you have a choice of rightwing shitlords in the rightwing shitlord party, rightwing shitlords in the notionally leftwing party, anti-science lunatics who hate organised sport and vaccinations but coast by on inner city melbourne being filled to the brim with middle class pearl clutchers and an assorted batch of insane or pointless independants. Its another election voting for the sting-ray that got steve.

What? Where

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

you listed the lnp twice? Idgi

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Starshark posted:

Off-topic but how did the internet discover the phrase 'pearl clutchers'? Six months ago it's no-where to be seen and now it's everywhere.

A slate article from 2012 says it was already a cliche in feminist circles at that time. :shrug:
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/01/pearl_clutching_how_the_phrase_became_a_feminist_blog_clich_.html

Pretty sure its recent popularity has actually come from MRAs though.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

https://twitter.com/FJKeany/status/737861412610048000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Looks like the social media/online campaign the AEC did the last month paid off. I saw things on Facebook and Google Now informing people of enrollment for the election, good to see.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Watch them all vote Liberal cause Mommy and Daddy told them about the Golden Age of John Howard.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Watch them all vote Liberal cause Mommy and Daddy told them about the Golden Age of John Howard.
I thought all millennials hated their parents and did the opposite of what they were told?

Serioustalk, keep in mind this is the age group of people most likely to be engaged by social media campaigns which the Greens and, to a lesser degree, Labor do far better than the LNP.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Razza my son
You is a voter now
You must choose between
Labor Party promising to stop 100k degrees
or Liberal Party promising to raise the GST and give corporations a tax cut
*picks Liberal*

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

I thought all millennials hated their parents and did the opposite of what they were told?

Serioustalk, keep in mind this is the age group of people most likely to be engaged by social media campaigns which the Greens and, to a lesser degree, Labor do far better than the LNP.

Here comes dat boi

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Abbott's an utter dullard and a husk of a human being whose entire career was based on the false premise that assuming positions of power and influence would make him a powerful, influential person through pure osmosis (it didn't). He has no real talents and can barely offer opinions on things he purported to care passionately about and I'm relieved politics has already moved on without him. Dude's no good.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Abbott's an utter dullard and a husk of a human being whose entire career was based on the false premise that assuming positions of power and influence would make him a powerful, influential person through pure osmosis (it didn't). He has no real talents and can barely offer opinions on things he purported to care passionately about and I'm relieved politics has already moved on without him. Dude's no good.

HAHA

No, media out today is saying that Turnbull is considering giving Abbott front bench if he comes out to campaign in NSW for him.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Anidav posted:

HAHA

No, media out today is saying that Turnbull is considering giving Abbott front bench if he comes out to campaign in NSW for him.

Jesus, internal polling would have to be dismal for him to eat crow like that.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Grouchio posted:

You mates seriously need state media reforms around so the press can actually have differing opinions for once. Talk about poo poo luck with that Tony short stick.
Are there no internet demonstrations and underground stuff trying to call the media out on this poo poo or what? Who watches the watchmen after all.

A bit late but basically a number of years ago Labor made some rumblings about reforms and then the below happened and then Labor backed off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Apparently the LNP are extremely worried about NSW because Baird is starting to blow up for them.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Apparently the LNP are extremely worried about NSW because Baird is starting to blow up for them.
And getting Tones to campaign is going to help them how exactly? Is he going to get up and eat some onions on stage?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Maybe beg some fares at a ferry terminal again, that worked well the first time.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm trying to think of something less likely to get me to vote LNP than Tony Abbott and coming up blank.

edit: I have heard pearl clutcher being used since the early 00s but I went to a rightwing boys only school so its probably proto-mras that were using it

Byolante fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 1, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

I'm sure Tony is going to help calm that fire.

e;fb.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Here's some ABC dickhead claiming it will help them further to what the media has already said today:

Malcolm Turnbull must embrace Tony Abbott and draw him into the marginal seats campaign if he wants to energise the party faithful and secure crucial primary votes, writes Terry Barnes.

As we near the half-way mark of this protracted, uninspired, turgid, scrappy campaign, opinion polls are stubbornly remaining stuck around a 50 per cent split of the two-party preferred vote between the Coalition and Labor.

The most recent, a ReachTel poll on the weekend, put Labor in front 52-48 and the Essential Research poll out yesterday had the Coalition in front 51-49.

In a campaign with already more collywobbles than Collingwood this season - Julie Bishop yesterday joining the ranks of candidates who couldn't answer a question about their party's policy - this election is not over by any means. Both Turnbull and Shorten still have everything to play for.

But Turnbull has most to lose. Indeed, it was reported yesterday that Liberal strategists who, unsurprisingly, spoke on condition of anonymity, predicted to Fairfax Media that up to 12 Coalition seats will fall on July 2, while "bullish" Labor strategists identified a further eight seats that could be in play: a total of 20 seats that would be just enough to put Labor on the cusp of majority government.

Of course, campaign operatives on both sides are playing mind games via the media, but that the Coalition is bracing itself for significant seat losses is clear enough. A look at Turnbull's campaign schedule, let alone those of senior ministers, has him swinging through seat after Coalition seat - this week, he visited the outer Sydney seat of Lindsay for the second time since the election was called - while Shorten is visiting strings of Coalition seats too.

The Coalition therefore is running a defensive campaign, even if its economic and policy credentials are more solid than Labor's. Despite defending fewer seats on margins of 4 per cent or less than Labor, the pressures of incumbency, a lacklustre campaign, disappointment in Turnbull and local factors - such as the unpopularity of the Barnett Government in Western Australia and the Nick Xenophon surge in South Australia - make things on the ground tricky for the PM and the Coalition compared to their nothing-to-lose opponents.

In the Government's favour, however, is many of the members defending those marginals are dedicated and well-liked local MPs, and holding against national trends. For instance, Deakin in Melbourne, represented since 2013 by Liberal MP Michael Sukkar, is rarely mentioned as a possible Labor gain despite its very thin margin: Sukkar's tireless efforts since his election appear set to pay electoral dividends.

Indeed, neither side is putting much faith in headline numbers in national public polls. Each sees it as a seat-by-seat duel, the Coalition with heads in front at this stage of the campaign.

With seat outcomes so tight, however, the Coalition can't afford complacency. It needs to secure enough votes to get a sufficient number of its MPs over the line.

Some, like Victorian Liberal president Michael Kroger, think the key is winning "open tickets" from the Greens in vulnerable Coalition seats, in return for preferencing the Greens in inner-city Labor seats like the hapless David Feeney's Batman in Melbourne and Anthony "Albo" Albanese's Grayndler in Sydney.

But instead of pursuing the Left, it is far better for Liberal strategists to secure their base. They need disaffected and disgruntled Liberal supporters to vote for them rather than parking Lower House votes with other right-of-centre parties like the Liberal Democrats, and even fringe dwellers like One Nation and the Australian Liberty Alliance.

In a tight contest, even one or two hundred primary votes in a seat, or less, can make the difference in surviving a nail-biting preference count. Vote leakage to other Right parties doesn't guarantee these votes return to the Liberals via preferences: so every primary vote counts.

That's why Turnbull must ensure the Liberal base vote is maximised by regathering lost sheep. He needs to do all he can to keep thousands of Liberal voters disillusioned with him, and still angry and hurt at the deposing of Tony Abbott last September, in the Government's tent.

In other words, Turnbull must court, and not dismiss, those angry Abbott-loyalist Liberals disparagingly labelled by Daily Telegraph columnist Miranda Devine as "delusional conservatives", or Del Cons.

Some close to Abbott see the Del Con label as an insult. Social media makes clear, however, that most Del Cons see it as a badge of honour. Winning them back won't be easy for Turnbull, even though he hasn't so far strayed from the Abbott policy playbook.

Unless he and the Coalition lift their campaign game dramatically, Turnbull must be prepared to do what he, and those who prefer flirting with the Greens to reaching out to their disaffected base, will find difficult to accept. He must embrace Abbott, draw him into the marginal seats campaign, and get Abbott's superior campaigning skills into the thick of the fray rather than keeping him largely under wraps.

Abbott has shown, through his circumspect comments and writings in recent months, that he is moving on from last September. He shares Turnbull's belief that defeating Shorten is crucial for Australia's future and greater than the rivalry and history between them. And he is the only one who can appeal successfully to disenfranchised Del Cons and wavering conservatives.

If bringing Abbott in from the cold is Turnbull's "release the Kraken" moment to energise his base and regain crucial primary votes to ensure a Coalition win on July 2, he can't waste time. He must decide now.

But hey, whose the author?

Terry Barnes is a policy consultant, was a senior ministerial adviser to Tony Abbott and writes weekly for The Drum.

Interesting changes going on at the ABC, who will they employ next?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Do Drum columnists get paid?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Bernardi shared an article from Rape Advocate Roosh V. Given the whole thing with Roosh recently put his name all over the place here, it is mathematically impossible for Corey to not know exactly who this guy is, and probably follows him.

Let's be honest here. Are any of us surprised by this at all?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Bernardi shared an article from Rape Advocate Roosh V. Given the whole thing with Roosh recently put his name all over the place here, it is mathematically impossible for Corey to not know exactly who this guy is, and probably follows him.

Let's be honest here. Are any of us surprised by this at all?
Bernadi (fundie scum that he is) probably believes it's ok to rape your wife, so no.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Do Drum columnists get paid?

I believe they do.

Even friendlyjordies writes for the drum now

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Abbott has shown, through his circumspect comments and writings in recent

:golfclap:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Bernadi (fundie scum that he is) probably believes it's ok to rape your wife, so no.

‘I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak’

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mithranderp posted:

‘I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak’

- The Prime Minister for Women and Indigenous Australiasns

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ywCRTG7LbU
TOOT TOOT NEW ALP AD TO AIR DURING STATE OF ORIGIN

Oh for fucks sake. The superannuation changes are good and frankly are probably more progressive than whatever Labor would have ended up proposing. Make up your mind who you represent you shitheels.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Mithranderp posted:

Yes, that does need to be moderated. Into the loving bin.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Shunkymonky posted:

Oh for fucks sake. The superannuation changes are good and frankly are probably more progressive than whatever Labor would have ended up proposing. Make up your mind who you represent you shitheels.

This is true. Its the only policy that I support of the coalitions. It combined with the greens super changes would make the system fair, sustainable and would create a massive windfall in tax income.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Freudian Slip posted:

combined with the greens

LIB/GREEN PREFERENCE DEAL CONFIRMED!!!!!!!11!!1!one

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

AgentF posted:

A bit late but basically a number of years ago Labor made some rumblings about reforms and then the below happened and then Labor backed off.

And a reminder about what the specific change suggested was. Currently the press has a statutory exemption from the prohibition on deceptive and misleading conduct in the trade practices act. the government proposed to remove that. The press fought the government for the ability to deliberately lie to people.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

KennyTheFish posted:

And a reminder about what the specific change suggested was. Currently the press has a statutory exemption from the prohibition on deceptive and misleading conduct in the trade practices act. the government proposed to remove that. The press fought the government for the ability to deliberately lie to people.

mate if you take out the lies murdoch papers are just a bunch of ads

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Byolante posted:

Maybe, and this is just a guess, if Labor's leadership ranks weren't amoral scumbag lawyers who do hostile takeovers of small unions to become players and instead were actually representing the majority of Australians then the general public might vote for somebody who isn't a complete rightwing shitlord. As it is you have a choice of rightwing shitlords in the rightwing shitlord party, rightwing shitlords in the notionally leftwing party, anti-science lunatics who hate organised sport and vaccinations but coast by on inner city melbourne being filled to the brim with middle class pearl clutchers and an assorted batch of insane or pointless independants. Its another election voting for the sting-ray that got steve.

haha yeah mang. you got it all downpat. you stand alone and above the crowd.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

KennyTheFish posted:

I thought it was because they were going to be forced to adhere to the code of conduct they themselves wrote. As opposed to having signed up for it and then doing literally nothing to adhere to it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I really dislike the politics of superannuation because all the articles around it are like this, outlining the policies without spelling out how it actually affects people/who it even affects and then capitalising on the same misunderstanding with scare campaigns..

"The government is coming for your super"*#$^

* If you had disposable savings of over $500,000 during your lifetime to put into your super tax haven account rather than anything else in life like children or mortgages or nice cars or Nintendos or something
# If you earn enough money from your super per annum to be taxed on your super earnings that means your super balance is sky high because you were already earning a poo poo load of money
$ By the way you also know the super contributions we're all forced to have aren't even taxed in the first place, don't you?
^ Really, nobody is being affected or 'double taxed' by this except the extremely well-off who aren't going to loving vote for us for financial reasons anyway because the Libs have their number. Literally. They are probably on the high roller political donor list.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

To be fair, the Libs plan to tax ttr schemes will hit people who use it and that is by no means only high income earners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody is going to reform anything without a royal commission into federal corruption and haha if you think that's ever going to be approved by the pigs with their snouts in the trough.

• Locked thread