Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Wrageowrapper posted:

Oh I totally agree with that, I wish there are more crossbench senators to come. But does it have to be Lambie? I cringe everytime she comes on TV and is introduced as "Tasmanian senator". Why can't she become a Qld senator instead.

Because while the fuckwit demographic is larger in Queensland, it still a significant minority in the rest of the country and thus deserves representation.

Senator Lambie provides - oh gently caress it :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

turdbucket posted:

The alternative is to let people like Di Natale take over the party from the top and move rightward, killing the party like nick clegg or the democrats here. Look at what Nick McKim did in coalition with the ALP in Tasmania for an example of what happens when you value unity and winning seats over grassroots democracy.

Where the gently caress does language like this come from? RDN has in no way moved in on the Greens trying to gently caress it up. He's intelligent, compassionate, knowledgeable, perfect for the job. What has he done that is so against Greens values that make him so different to Bob Brown?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

Where the gently caress does language like this come from? RDN has in no way moved in on the Greens trying to gently caress it up. He's intelligent, compassionate, knowledgeable, perfect for the job. What has he done that is so against Greens values that make him so different to Bob Brown?

They passed something through the senate that the Libs wanted, once. Clearly this means Di Natale is secretly hoping to be the next Libs leader.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The freshest of the batch is a poll crediting Labor with a 51-49 lead in the northern Tasmanian seat of Bass. This suggests a 5% swing against Liberal member Andrew Nikolic, who gained it with a 10.8% swing in 2013. The poll was conducted on Tuesday for GetUp! from a sample of 824.

The Advertiser reports troubling numbers for the Liberals from South Australia in further polling conducted for GetUp! Christopher Pyne is credited with 41% of the primary vote in his seat of Sturt, compared with 21% for Nick Xenophon Team candidate Matthew Wright and 20% for Labor’s Matt Loader and 8% for the Greens. In Mayo, Liberal member Jamie Briggs is at 40%, against 23.5% for Rebekha Sharkie of the Nick Xenophon Team, 18% for Labor and 10% for the Greens. Either seat would be under threat from NXT on those numbers, provided their candidates were able to get ahead of Labor. The scale of the threat would also depend on whether the remainders include an undecided component, as is usually the case in ReachTEL’s electorate polling. If so, distributing the undecided would push the Liberal primary vote up high enough that they would most likely make it over the line, although only just. The Sturt poll was conducted on May 22 from a sample of 762, and the Mayo poll was on May 16 from a sample of 681.

The West Australian reports a poll of the Perth seat of Cowan credited Labor’s Anne Aly with a 51-49 lead over Liberal member Luke Simkins, whose 7.5% margin has been pared back to 4.0% in the redistribution. The implied swing of 5% is actually at the low end of the Labor’s recent form in polling from Western Australia. However, this poll is showing its age a little, having been conducted on May 10 for the United Voice union from a sample of 731. The West’s report also relates that the Liberals’ internal pollsters, Crosby-Textor, have recorded a 6% swing to Labor in the new seat of Burt, which has a notional Liberal margin of 4.9%.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dear God,

Please make Pyne lose.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
People I know in Sturt are giving NXT their first or second preference purely because they hate Pyne.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is it actually possible for NXT to get all of SA's seats just because?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
All? It's possible for him to get 2 or 3 max. Some seats in metro Adelaide are the safest Labor seats in the country.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

How about just all of the Lib seats?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
He might get all the Lib seats in Adelaide but the huge regional ones that are the size of Belgium or whatever are hardcore Lib territory and I'm not even sure if he's running a lower house candidate in them anyway.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
lmao

quote:

The sharp rise in the construction of new apartments may be the catalyst for a "dramatic and destabilising" end to the current housing boom, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development has warned.

"Domestically, the unwinding of housing market tensions to date may presage dramatic and destabilising developments, rather than herald a soft landing," said the OECD in its latest report.

The Paris-based think tank also says federal election jitters are adding to Australia's economic concerns, and has called for an increase in the goods and services tax.

The record number of apartments due for completion in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane over the next 18 months already has real estate industry insiders concerned.

Failed settlements are cropping up as a major concern, especially at a time when the banks are tightening credit, meaning buyers who paid a 10 per cent deposit two years ago and are relying on a 90 per cent loan to fill out the rest of the purchase, may now have to pay more.

While house prices surged in May, research firm Core Logic has said the current rises will not last, as regulators tighten lending standards.

"Recent data from APRA highlights that interest-only lending is now at its lowest level since March 2013 and new mortgages with a loan to value ratio to higher than 90 per cent are at the lowest reading since March 2011," said Tim Lawless, head of research at CoreLogic recently.

The OECD's warning comes alongside a graph, showing house prices plateauing and private dwelling approvals sinking from a peak.

The housing market faces considerable difficulties, amid a period of stricter regulation on lending coupled with record-low interest rates prompting more and more people to borrow.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/03/aboriginal-sacred-site-up-to-8000-years-old-destroyed-by-cultural-vandals
Aboriginal sacred site up to 8,000 years old destroyed by 'cultural vandals'

quote:

Scratching out of ochre stencils on Derwent valley cave wall is ‘devastating’, says Clyde Mansell, chairman of Tasmanian Aboriginal Land Council

Vandals have destroyed a sacred Aboriginal site in Tasmania by scratching out hand stencils which traditional owners say were made during large clan gatherings up to 8,000 years ago.

Two ochre stencils on a cave wall in the upper reaches of the Derwent valley were found destroyed by members of Tasmania’s Aboriginal community on the eve of Sorry Day, which marks the anniversary of the Bringing them Home report into the stolen generations.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

turdbucket fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 23, 2016

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
maybe he has a bag carrier because he wants to create an extra job for someone. he's a job creator.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

turdbucket posted:

whys it so easy to stick lib/green deal with the new leader?

because it's a good narrative for both the LNP and ALP and it makes for a good media story, you hysterical madman

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It's like they can't help but make all these ads blatantly exploitable anymore.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Do the greens normally attract so many targetted attacks during election cycles? Seems like they must be doing something right....

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tomberforce posted:

Do the greens normally attract so many targetted attacks during election cycles? Seems like they must be doing something right....

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I think the constant attacks and mentions are potentially increasingly their viability and breaking the 2PP strategy.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat

Tomberforce posted:

Both majors have basically sniffed a few votes out of demonising the Greens, so they're both trying to take a "WE HATE THE GREENS MORE THAN THAT OTHER PARTY HATE THE GREENS" in the same way they smell votes in torturing and locking up people fleeing the threat of death.

It's a shameful reflection on the current state of Australian politics

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

good

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

this checks out, global warming is going to kill us all, terrorists are only gonna kill some of us

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine

Yeah and it is

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
should make one that says CORY BERNADI THINKS THAT GAY MARRIAGE IS A BIGGER THREAT TO HUMAN SOCIETY THAN DROUGHT, FLOODING, AND BUSHFIRES

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
CORY BERNADI THINKS THAT GAY MARRIAGE IS A BIGGER AFFRONT TO HUMAN DIGNITY THAN POVERTY AND HOMELESSNESS

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

BBJoey posted:

because it's a good narrative for both the LNP and ALP and it makes for a good media story, you hysterical madman

even greens voters I know believe it because of the way di natale presents himself, why is this thread so reactive against anyone criticising an MP just because he's from a progressive party? not criticising the MPs is why labor is full of hacks. hardly splitting the party to say a couple of the MPs are poo poo boo loving hoo

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
CORY BERNADI WANTS TO MOLEST YOUR DOGS! ... Wait that's not right, I'm doing this wrong.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Redcordial posted:

CORY BERNADI WANTS TO MOLEST YOUR DOGS! ... Wait that's not right, I'm doing this wrong.

No, it seems oddly appropriate

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Redcordial posted:

photoshop his face onto kenny's, see how far you can get the legal proceedings going

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I'm a bit confused, both of those ads seem to be targeting people that wouldn't be voting Greens anyway.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
These ads are especially good because you have to delve really deep into the weird UPF part of Australia to find anyone who takes this kind of stuff seriously. People may hate the greens and think they'll ruin this country if they ever form government but even johnny two utes isn't scared of commies under the beds and everyone I talk to about these ads is kind of bemused by them even from the most conservative old people I know

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

turdbucket posted:

even greens voters I know believe it because of the way di natale presents himself, why is this thread so reactive against anyone criticising an MP just because he's from a progressive party? not criticising the MPs is why labor is full of hacks. hardly splitting the party to say a couple of the MPs are poo poo boo loving hoo

Mostly because your claims are predominantly the kind of unfounded heresay that rusted-on labor voters love belching at each other down the pub.

Also because a fucktonne of us are actually members and know better.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Election 2016: Cash for candidacy: Leaked documents show $500,000 offer to become Liberal Democratic senate candidate

June 3, 2016 - 4:52PM
Heath Aston
Political correspondent

EXCLUSIVE

The Liberal Democratic Party of NSW Senator David Leyonhjelm considered entering an agreement to accept $500,000 from an Adelaide businessman in return for making him a lead Senate candidate for the party at the July 2 election.

Fairfax Media has obtained leaked documents that propose a deal in which Roostam Sadri, a property developer and former abattoir owner, would hand over $500,000 on the condition he be placed in the No.1 position on the Liberal Democrats ticket.

Mr Sadri was this week listed as the Liberal Democrats' only Senate candidate in South Australia and said on Friday that he would launch his campaign with $100,000 in advertising on Tuesday.

The proposed deal has shocked electoral law experts George Williams and Graeme Orr, who described the document as "as blatant as it gets".

The two-part agreement, which was was drawn up in April, could contravene two anti-bribery provisions in the Commonwealth Electoral Act, according to Professor Orr, who wrote the 2010 book The Law of Politics: Elections, Parties and Money in Australia and did his PHD on electoral crime and bribery.

Mr Sadri confirmed he had recently donated to the Liberal Democrats and was willing to spend another "$100,000, $200,000 or more" on his campaign in South Australia but insisted the leaked agreement, which appears to have his "RS" initials marked on it, was never signed and he has not handed over $500,000.

"I don't think there was a formal agreement signed by both sides. We had negotiations. I wanted a Senate seat," he said.

"But there's no such thing as a purchase contract, I don't think it's legal to do that. Maybe it is, maybe not."

"I made some donations but it wasn't $500,000. In the past I have also donated to Labor and the Liberal Party. I have been invited to lunches with John Howard, Paul Keating and Bob Hawke and they were all fundraisers."

In a statement, a Liberal Democrat spokesman said: "The Liberal Democrats are proud to announce Roostam Sadri as their No.1 Senate candidate for South Australia.

"Mr Sadri approached the Liberal Democrats offering his experience, expertise and a willingness to inject funds into the campaign. Mr Sadri's initial offer of funds got our party interested, but after confirming Mr Sadri's excellent credentials to serve as a Liberal Democrats' senator in South Australia, and after his immersion into the party, the party has preselected Mr Sadri, based on his merits.

"Consistent with the party's record and support for financial disclosure, all disclosure obligations will be fully satisfied. The Liberal Democrats oppose taxpayer funding of political parties.

Professor Orr said an offence of bribery does not necessarily hinge on an agreement being signed and said most deals in politics, like the infamous "Kirribilli agreement" between Bob Hawke and Paul Keating over the leadership of the Labor Party were done on a handshake.

"On its face, there may be two 'electoral bribery' offences," he said. "There doesn't need to be a finalised agreement.

Section 326 of the Electoral Act lays out offences in relation to the offering or acceptance of any property or benefit for certain outcomes that include "the order in which the names of candidates . . . appear on a ballot paper".

Professor Williams said: "It seems extraordinary to me. It's the sort of thing that should not be happening in our democracy and if it's not proscribed by law, it should be.

"We already have a big problem with political donations. If people can actually buy their way into preselection and to the ticket then that's an even bigger problem."

Mr Sadri, a leader of the Tatar community - an ethnic minority of Russia - who arrived in Australia from China as a refugee in 1976, said he had "read the agreement" but insisted he or his lawyer had not drafted it.

"I was not involved in drafting it. Whoever drafted it might have leaked it," he said.

The Primary Agreement, which is marked with Mr Sadri's initials, states: "Mr Sadri will deposit AUD 500,000 in the Liberal Democrats' account [St George Bank details] such that the funds arrive in the account no later than five days from the issuing of the writs for the next Senate election, whether a double dissolution election or otherwise."

It goes on to outline that Mr Sadri will then become a financial member of the micro party and fill out a Senate nomination form within five days.

If the $500,000 was paid within seven days of the election writs being issued, the Primary Agreement states, the registered officer of the Liberal Democrats would endorse Mr Sadri's position "at the top of the Liberal Democrats' column on the [state to be specified] Senate ballot paper".

Fairfax Media understands that members of the Liberal Democrats' federal executive originally proposed Mr Sadri stand in Victoria, where he owns property, before settling on his home state of South Australia.

The Secondary Agreement makes clear that the party would control the $500,000.

"The Liberal Democrats reserve the right to allocate funds in its account at its sole discretion," the Agreements states

"The Liberal Democrats will not discriminate in its commitment of electoral expenditure in [the state in which Mr Sadri is nominated], solely on the basis of Mr Sadri's candidacy in [that State]."

The party agreed to advise Mr Sadri of its expenditure each fortnight after the Agreements took effect.

On Friday, Mr Sadri said he had thought about starting his own "multicultural party" but decided his political philosophy fit with the libertarian party of Senator Leyonhjelm.

"There's too much bureaucratic red tape and I thought maybe it's time to get influence in decision-making," he said.

Mr Sadri said he arrived in Adelaide with $US500 in his pocket and three days later was assembling gearboxes for General Motors.

He went on to buy out the South Australian Meat Corporation, the country's second-largest abattoir at the time, from the SA state government in the 1990s. He made a profit but the slaughterhouse, just 10 kilometres from the Adelaide CBD, closed within four years.

Mr Sadri is not the only businessman standing for the Liberal Democrats.

Self-storage magnate Sam Kennard, who contested the North Sydney byelection, will be No.2 on the NSW ballot behind Senator Leyonhjelm.

This week, Senator Leyonhjelm blamed a Liberal Party "spy" in the Liberal Democrat federal executive for leaking damaging documents to the media.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

adamantium|wang posted:

This week, Senator Leyonhjelm blamed a Liberal Party "spy" in the Liberal Democrat federal executive for leaking damaging documents to the media.

And why does that diminish the allegations of bribery?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

turdbucket posted:

People can disagree. I think nucleae power is a good idea

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Federal Court has ordered Woolworths to pay penalties totalling $9 million for its involvement in a laundry detergent cartel.

Woolworths admitted to effectively colluding with laundry detergent giants Colgate-Palmolive, PZ Cussons and Unilever over how they would switch from standard concentrates to ultra concentrates.

The companies all agreed that they would stop supplying standard concentrates to Woolworths in early 2009 and supply only ultra concentrates.

The more concentrated detergents are cheaper to produce, store and ship and therefore should have been cheaper per wash than the standard detergents, but the competition watchdog alleged that the agreement meant those savings were not passed on to customers.

The ACCC's chairman Rod Sims said Woolworths benefited from the arrangement through a range of logistical cost savings.

"We certainly reached agreement that they achieved a range of logistical benefits in terms of transport, storage, shelf space and the like," he told the ABC's PM program.

Mr Sims also said the scheme would not have been possible without the supermarket's involvement which was the reason the ACCC was so keen to see it penalised.

Cartel may have cost consumers $150m in lost savings

Colgate has already been ordered to pay $18 million in penalties for admitted breaches of the Competition and Consumer Act (CCA) in relation to the cartel conduct.

Unilever applied for immunity protection in the matter as an informer and action is still underway in the Federal Court against Cussons.

While the companies have faced some of the stiffest penalties handed down for anti-competitive conduct, Mr Sims acknowledged that the four firms may still have come out ahead.

"There certainly was discussion among the parties at an early stage of around about a $150 million benefit, but you never know how much prices would've gone down without this activity," he told PM.

However Mr Sims defended the agreed outcome.

"In this case the penalties are appropriate, we wouldn't have settled for them otherwise," he added.

Mr Sims also admitted the ACCC did not know if prices had fallen as a result of the court case.

"I hope they have, the honest answer is I haven't been following them recently, I hope they have come down," he said.

Woolworths blames rogue buyer

For its part, Woolworths has blamed the conduct of a former staff member for its breach of the CCA.

"Woolworths acknowledges that the behaviour of one of its former buyers was not consistent with the high standards of competition law compliance we seek to achieve," the company said in a statement.

"The proceedings have been settled with Woolworths making limited admissions in relation to one of the claims made by the ACCC."

However, Mr Sims said the blame goes far beyond individuals at the companies involved.

"We believe, with senior staff members, other people can observe what they're doing and we believe ultimately companies have got to have compliance systems in place to prevent that sort of thing happening," he responded.

Woolworths said it has updated its compliance program and training to help avoid such situations in the future.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nationalise all retail stores

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

tithin posted:

And why does that diminish the allegations of bribery?

The man is an idiot, you're asking a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

When they ask people "What is the worst thing mankind has created?", and others say the gun, the internal combustion engine, pesticides, and the nuclear bomb, I will stand up and say "the middle man"

• Locked thread