Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Welcome to the Italy National Team thread, which will be closed after three games because Italy has an insanely bad team, maybe the worst in the history of this glorious and storied nation. Ever since Italy won the world cup in 2006, things have been on a downhill slide and despite reaching the finals in the last Euros, there was never much doubt as to which team of doped up tiki taka shits would win. Gone are the Maldinis, Pirlos, Gattusos, Del Pieros and all other vowel ending legends. They have been replaced by Brazilian journeymen on a half season of moderate form and a man who couldn’t get a game at Sunderland. If you couldn’t tell hopes are not high this time around and it will be a positive campaign if Italy can get out of the groups.

The Euros have never been Italy’s strong competition. With four world cups, you’d think they would put out a better showing, but Italy’s only Euro victory was in 1968. In 2000 and 2012 Italy failed at the final hurdle, so a total of three finals appearances and 1 victory in a time so long ago that it pretty much didn’t happen.

It isn’t all doom an gloom, there are some genuinely good footballers in this side, particularly in defense and a few midfielders and strikers who have pulled something out of their asses to gain victory for their clubs more times than once. Conte also hides espresso and cigarettes inside his wig, so the Italy faithful can always think to tradition and place our hopes on that.

Here is the list of players called up for the finals:

Portieri: Buffon (Juve), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Psg)
Difensori: Barzagli (Juve), Bonucci (Juve), Chiellini (Juve), Darmian (Manchester United), De Sciglio (Milan), Ogbonna (West Ham)
Centrocampisti: Bernardeschi (Fiorentina), Candreva (Lazio), De Rossi (Roma), El Shaarawy (Roma), Florenzi (Roma), Giaccherini (Bologna), Sturaro (Juventus), Thiago Motta (Psg), Parolo (Lazio)
Attaccanti: Eder (Inter), Immobile (Torino), Insigne (Napoli), Pellè (Southampton), Zaza (Juve)

Notabe exceptions complained about loudly in the Galli household: Claudio Marchisio (injured), Marco Verratti (injured), Francesco Totti (old), Giacomo Bonaventura (plays for Milan), Manolo Gabbiadini (bench player at Napoli, bang on starter for probably anywhere else)

Conte is expected to play a form of 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 depending on the opponent, so I’ll go through in detail who I think will actually be starting.

Gigi Buffon
Probably one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time. Legendary Juventus and national team player, wouldn’t want anyone else in net. Not much else to be said other than that he is great.

Leonardo Bonucci
Juve’s starting center back for the past several seasons, broke out with Bari and was immediately snapped up by the biggest team in the country. Good on the ball and a hard tackler; been known to put in a few screamers in his time.

Giorgio Chiellini
Absolute oval office of a defender who will get on everyone’s nerves, which is good. Played left back before Juve’s move to a three man defense so knows a bit about how to get forward. Good in the air, ugly.

Alessandro Florenzi
Versatile player who has been successful as a fullback, wingback, winger and striker all in one season. Runs his heart out and has a pretty decent shot on him. Scored a winning goal and to celebrate ran over to his grandmother in the stands to give her a hug, endearing himself to everyone.

Daniele De Rossi
Angry Roman, dirty player, aggressive and effective. De Rossi has been part of the national setup for more than a decade and despite his age continues to churn out good enough to great performances. He was probably chosen because he can also play as a center back in addition to midfield in front of the defense. Might not actually start games but he’s in my XI anyway.

Thiago Motta
Slow garbageman that must have dirt on Conte or the FIGC because he’s loving terrible. His last good game was in the CL with Inter against Barcelona where he exposed Busquets as a diving bitch. Was subsequently himself exposed as a bitch when Brandao head butted him in the face in the tunnel during a Ligue 1 match.

Emanuele Giaccherini
Idiot moron who was made to look good at Juventus when surrounded by good players, now playing at Bologna where he has been absolutely average (except against Milan, which is where all average players become supermen). Used to have a bit of pace on him, it’s gone now so he’s just kinda there.

Stephan El Shaarawy
Pictured with fellow Egyptian Salah at Roma. Went from being one of the best players in Italy to an injured mess, loaned to Monaco who played him for exactly 1 game less than required for a compulsory buy, sold to Roma and has rediscovered his form. Fast, good shot, capable dribbler. I miss him.

Lorenzo Insigne
Hometown hero for Napoli with an accent to match. Good lad who can take a good free kick and has a lot of tricks. Easily pushed over though because he’s all of 1.5 meters tall. Excited about going back to his asilo classroom with his friend Giovinco.

Graziano Pellé
Just like the real Pele but with an extra l. Scores a lot of high profile goals for Italy. Had a good first season for Southampton but I think he’s sort of dwindled since then. I dunno, someone can confirm or deny.

Reading through that I seem to be mostly complimentary toward the players; which is intentional. Individually many of them are pretty talented and in their respective teams have mostly been good. Conte, however, hasn’t really formed a good group here and you can tell the chemistry is missing. Insigne, despite probably being the best striker Italy has right now, was still on the fence for making the team up until the day before it was announced. Even during the qualifiers, Italy had to rely on individual bits of magic despite topping the group. All in all it’s very unconvincing and against Belgium, Conte may be exposed for his lack of ideas.

Group Stage
Italy has a relatively simple group on paper, but in tournaments this team always tends to fall at the easiest point. The Belgium game will be the most difficult, but I don’t expect to really have an easy game against Ireland or Sweden. Sweden in particular is prime time for Italy to get Zlatan’d and give up a goal in the 85th minute after impotently trying to counterattack against a team that should’ve been steamrolled from minute 1.

Expectations
Ever since the final in 2012 expectations have been low. With Marchisio and Verratti out there is no invention in the side and Italy lack a true “regista” to get the ball in transition from midfield to forwards. The football is going to be very direct and probably bad to watch, not a lot of tactical nuance or skill play I would imagine. With this in mind, getting out of the groups and maybe the first knockout round would be considered a success. Anything more than that would be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
MAMA MIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
*idiot race voice* shitaly

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

*grabs crotch* va fan culo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

oh he's gonna be mad you stole this post!!!!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

surrender posted:

*grabs crotch* va fan culo

The Massimo Cellino move knower

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
People seem to be Really Mad Online that Sturaro was included.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
cant wait for those guys to clown on us

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

It makes me extremely mad that Giaccherini and Sturaro made it in this team over Bonaventura. Maybe Conte figured he had enough wide players, but every time I've seen Sturaro this season he's seemed out of his depth and Giaccherini is poo poo. Sturaro I can forgive because he is promising but Bonaventura is the real deal.

Eder can also gently caress off. He's had what, one goal the past 5 months? Fucks sake.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ephex posted:

cant wait for those guys to clown on us

We won't get that far lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

People seem to be Really Mad Online that Sturaro was included.

I'm one of those people I guess. From what I've seen this season he isn't good enough, but I guess Italy needs backups to De Rossi because he won't be able to play every game (because he will get sent off)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You forgot Inzaghi in your list of vowel ending legends.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
drat, that's an insanely bad squad. Should've called up noted cool and handsome guy Luca Toni and hope the ball somehow bounces off of him into the net

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Italy have always been and will always be my second team and I vow to support the Azzurri after Switzerland are eliminated - but we might actually go further than you guys this time, this squad is awful :D

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm one of those people I guess. From what I've seen this season he isn't good enough, but I guess Italy needs backups to De Rossi because he won't be able to play every game (because he will get sent off)

It's definitely questionable, he didn't play all that much and his performances were spotty. I think you're right on him serving as a vice-De Rossi though, he's the only other midfielder that has the same type of defensive attributes, but with more pace and worse passing ability.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

It's definitely questionable, he didn't play all that much and his performances were spotty. I think you're right on him serving as a vice-De Rossi though, he's the only other midfielder that has the same type of defensive attributes, but with more pace and worse passing ability.

Yeah I'm starting to see it now. This speaks more to Italy's lack of depth than Sturaro's ability I think. I remember feeling bad for him in the CL final when he had played like 5 minutes all season and I'm worried it will happen again.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
how poo poo is Balotelli now?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

how poo poo is Balotelli now?

He could've scored a million goals this season but Conte wouldn't have picked him anyway because he hates him.

I mean also he was extremely bad this year.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

shitaly

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Italy have the players to Greece it up this tournament.

As bad as that squad is the three at the back are real loving good and I think Buffon could honestly be regarded as the best of all time. He's been consistently good for his entire career and I love him op

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Would you get a tattoo of his face though? Hell, I might. Boia chi molla bitches

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Predicting that Zaza will score a goal or two, maybe even an important one.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Buffon could honestly be regarded as the best of all time. He's been consistently good for his entire career and I love him op

:agreed:

I felt bad when Bryan scored on him (for a nanosecond, then forgot about it and ran around my living room hugging friends and spilling beer everywhere)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Gigi Galli posted:

Giorgio Chiellini
Absolute oval office of a defender who will get on everyone’s nerves, which is good. Played left back before Juve’s move to a three man defense so knows a bit about how to get forward. Good in the air, ugly.

MBison Yes.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
why didn't Padoin make the squad

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

surrender posted:

why didn't Padoin make the squad

Conte forgot who gave him all his Juve titles, shameful.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pellé left training with a knee problem, no word on if it's serious. It's all coming up Eder.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

Italy have the players to Greece it up this tournament.

As bad as that squad is the three at the back are real loving good and I think Buffon could honestly be regarded as the best of all time. He's been consistently good for his entire career and I love him op

Yeah he hasn't always been the best in the world at any given moment but to be so good for so long :eyepop:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Gigi Galli posted:

Pellé left training with a knee problem, no word on if it's serious. It's all coming up Eder.
how has italy gone from del piero, totti, and toni to loving eder

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

and, on that note, why are all the strikers conte selected terrible? why are berardi and gabbiadini watching at home? After seeing Mad Max buttfuck the league and now this, I'm convinced that Conte is actually a wasteman and benefited from Juve having the best defense in Italian football history. Enjoy Chelsea!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

straight up brolic posted:

how has italy gone from del piero, totti, and toni to loving eder

don't forget Di Natale, who would still be a better option than any of their current strikers

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

What about MLS superstar Sebastian Giovinco

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

and, on that note, why are all the strikers conte selected terrible? why are berardi and gabbiadini watching at home? After seeing Mad Max buttfuck the league and now this, I'm convinced that Conte is actually a wasteman and benefited from Juve having the best defense in Italian football history. Enjoy Chelsea!

I hope Conte is a wasteman because it will be hilarious to see Chelsea have another season like the last.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

surrender posted:

don't forget Di Natale, who would still be a better option than any of their current strikers

Di Natale, Toni and Totti are all better options.

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

What about MLS superstar Sebastian Giovinco

Insigne is better :troll:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Wheres Kevin Lasagna

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

Wheres Kevin Lasagna

Hopefully on Milan's transfer list.

I'm "good" news, Pellé is fine. He should start or at least play against Finland.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I think Conte maybe isn't a good talent evaluator. He was always publicly squabbling with Juve's directors about transfers, and since the time Conte was manager I think Marotta has done a really good job.

He'll be ok if he works with a good front office that handles transfers, but he'll probably always be a prick about not having control, so yeah idk.

Also it doesn't help him with regards to the Azzurri that Italy has a really shallow pool of talent to choose from right now.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Is Pirlo rubbish now?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is Pirlo rubbish now?

He plays in MLS and from what I can tell he's not even that good there. Last time he played for Italy it looked like he was asleep the whole time, his age has finally caught up to him I think.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Pirlo beckham'd at the MLS. This is all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I saw Pirlo get played off the pitch by Lamar Neagle last month. He's completely immobile and also doesn't give a poo poo

• Locked thread