Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, Memorial Day has passed and Idol is off the air, so it's time for America's Got Talent again.

For those who don't know, this is a series that welcomes acts of all stripes and ages. Yes, there are singers and dancers and sob stories like those other shows, but you get bands, magicians, acrobatics, comedians, and all sorts of things in between. Winner gets a whole lot of money and a show in Vegas, though the other top acts usually go on tour. We use this thread to riff on the acts, bitch about how the good acts get booted off for singers, and even get some inside info here and there. Fun times!

Your Judges and Host (image from NBC's site):

Most of the usual cast returns from last year--host Nick Cannon, professional troll/germophobe Howie Mandel, model Heidi Klum and former Spice Girl Mel B. Unfortunately, Howard Stern left the cast last year, but we get the original Mean British Judge Simon Cowell in his place. Yes, the American talent show is being judged by four non-americans :911: .

First round of auditions starts tonight at 8PM Eastern / 7PM Central, and should continue for the next few weeks. If you have any friends or family on the show, you might have to check in a few times, as they've been throwing together auditions from different cities each week. After that, we get the culling in Vegas, and then the live shows in Hollywood (changed from New York during the Stern era). The Olympics will likely throw a wrench in the schedule like it did a few years back, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I've been looking forward to this for a while now. There's a decent mix that get through to the live shows, so you can usually find one or two acts to root for or against. Plus, we can be bitter together when all the good acts get robbed eliminated. Let's rock.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good. The show has needed a mean judge since Piers left.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
First act of the season...kid act. Is this going to hurt already?

Cute dog act, and a mind reading act afterwards. Dog seemed okay if one note, and the mind reading seemed decent. Need to see where they take it next.

Spice Gurlz... :stare:

EDIT: Okay, a couple of interesting acts coming out of the show tonight, but we'll have to see how they develop. Magic and screen guy could be interesting, and I don't know what to make of tape face.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 1, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I really enjoyed tape face but like many acts I don't see it adapting well to the bigger performances AGT often pushes. The magician/visual effects guy was good.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Charlie and Rose was the funniest thing I'd seen on this show in all eleven seasons.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Too many singers on this show. There are already shows like this onky for singing so it is kind of annoying.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

At least we have Cowell to be really harsh on singers who aren't fantastic.

Tape Face was great.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
People here are always good about figuring out how these acts are done - so... how the hell did the clairvoyant act do that?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

how the hell did the clairvoyant act do that?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Tape face was the only good act. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the season.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

At some point, Howie Mandel has to stop being stunned that opera singers exist, right?

Tape Face was a fun gimmick, the trick is to see if he can keep it interesting every week, but I think maybe he could? Other than that, magicians/psychics/video dance people are the best, as usual. Although the auditions give us all the freakshows, which are fun, the later shows in the season eventually eliminate all the kids, and that'll be nice, too.

Howard Stern would have given Foam Guy a yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To be fair, it's 2016, I'm shocked opera singers exist.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

That drat Satyr posted:

People here are always good about figuring out how these acts are done - so... how the hell did the clairvoyant act do that?

My first guess was a thumper with an incredibly efficient set of codes for transmitting information.

My second guess was a transmitting/receiving microphones implanted in both their jawbones/inner ear capable of subvocal communication but that might only be science fiction so far.

Maybe he's a ventriloquist and he was talking for her the entire time. That would be a novel approach and pretty loving brilliant, actually.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
God help me, the singers and kid acts are invading in full force tonight. It doesn't help the other act was a contortionist. Look at me, I can make circles with my body.

Number of "inspirational" acts so far tonight: 2. Also, take a drink every time someone says "America will love you".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if that guy's "It got quiet in here" joke is part of his act or just a really nice recovery. If it's planned he sells it well.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, are those drones? Please be good going forward, PLEASE.

Edit: Kid, original song, ukulele, breathy voice, doesn't play by the rules. Indie.mpg.

Also, EAT poo poo HOWARD. We don't need two kid singers taking the spots dammit.

You eat poo poo too Simon.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 8, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calling a young kid the next Taylor Swift is weird as hell too because she didn't really make it for her voice.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The mother-son dance duo definitely had a future Lucille-Buster vibe.
Christian rock family was surprisingly charming with a unique backstory.
The Drone Dancers were the stand out, really cool act with a lot of potential.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

That drat Satyr posted:

I'd bet Victorkm is correct about some kind of thumper/code setup, and since she never predicted anything while he was moving, he probably uses something with his foot or leg to hit the transmitter button.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
That girl Howie put through is a Make A Wish kid right? That's the only explanation. The drone dancers were awesome.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Ok so.. there's not really a good way to ask this without it coming out sounding kind of dickish, but whatever.

How is it that all of these acts from other countries are allowed to participate? Isn't this AMERICA'S Got Talent? Not Japanese-Act-Comes-Over-To-Be-On-The-Show Got Talent. I mean, ElevenPlay, the drone act, was neat but based on what they said and their website they are Japanese people that live in Japan and have no ties to living in this country. I get that this show has drained the pool dry for "good" acts at this point, but is outsourcing to other countries really necessary?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Foreigners are not only winning our talent shows, but judging them too!

Are non-Brits allowed on Britain's Got Talent?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The judges are German, Canadian, and 2 Brits.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There also have been a bunch of acts on the show who were already successful and popular, which kind of ruins the appeal of watching a talent competition that is trying to convince you they are discovering talent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't worry, when President Trump takes office he's going to send these Japs back where they came from so a good ol' American singer can win, like God intended.

It's not really uncommon for the American version of a show to be the default, international one.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The Drone Dancers were cool. Too many children and singers though. Just because it is cute to see a 12 year old sing a song doesn't make it worthy every single drat time. I like Simon but I miss Howie Stern. Heidi Klum continues to be annoying as gently caress.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Aphrodite posted:

Don't worry, when President Trump takes office he's going to send these Japs back where they came from so a good ol' American singer can win, like God intended.

It's not really uncommon for the American version of a show to be the default, international one.

MAGTGA!

Make America's Got Talent Great Again!

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Week 3 of auditions going on. At this rate, we may need a thread title change. Yet another inspirational child act from the south. Is this another bingo?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This girl isn't very good.

Simon has a weak spot for kids. He keeps hyping them way up.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 15, 2016

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Christ, isn't one a night enough? Whatever sympathy I might be supposed to have for this father's lot in life is being overwhelmed by my annoyance at tonight.

Guido edit: Help me I'm torn. I should like/love this guy, but in light of the two kid singers we've had already, my enthusiasm is a bit muted. I may have to root him on anyway if it means a little less of the Idolification of the show.

Three singers dammit. And no magicians in sight. :qq:

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 15, 2016

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I rather liked the Russian Pole act.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Week 4 is on. Danger act, and a kid act montage. Not expecting to hear Bumble Boogie on the show though.

EDIT: Little more interesting tonight. Not expecting the comedian's story, but I have a feeling some people are going to hate her regardless of how good or edgy she is. I'll take her over more singers any day.

More edits: Son of a bitch. Can we gas this season right now? Or at least get a title change to American Idol season 16, since that's what the judges seem hell bent on turning this show into?

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 22, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

somekindofguy posted:

Week 4 is on. Danger act, and a kid act montage. Not expecting to hear Bumble Boogie on the show though.

EDIT: Little more interesting tonight. Not expecting the comedian's story, but I have a feeling some people are going to hate her regardless of how good or edgy she is. I'll take her over more singers any day.

More edits: Son of a bitch. Can we gas this season right now? Or at least get a title change to American Idol season 16, since that's what the judges seem hell bent on turning this show into?

Comedian was ok, but she gets a pass from me for not being a singer and "foliage is changing" was legit funny.
Knife throwers were great. Football magician was my favorite act of the night and his prescense almost makes up for ending on a mediocre singer with a sob story, with the god drat golden buzzer.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Football magician did very well. I like him, drone dancers, naked juggler man and uh...

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Ehud posted:

Football magician did very well. I like him, drone dancers, naked juggler man and uh...

Tape Face!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The worst part about football magician was Howie pretending like he recognized the Eagles long snapper.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
AGT is on an hour late tonight due to Olympics. Singer alert?

Edit: Singer was okay, kid magician was meh for me, and I didn't know they could do a sob story with a dog act.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 29, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Last act of the night is a singer with a sob story, wonder if he's gonna get the golden buzzer...

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

This week might have been my favorite audition episode this season. The YMCA guy was absolutely great. The 14 year old contortionist was fun as hell, and the acrobats had me holding my breath. The kid magician was kinda meh but he was cute at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Victorkm posted:

This week might have been my favorite audition episode this season. The YMCA guy was absolutely great. The 14 year old contortionist was fun as hell, and the acrobats had me holding my breath. The kid magician was kinda meh but he was cute at least.

Same except I am dreading kid magician.

• Locked thread