Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Hey y'all here is the thread to discuss D.A.R.E. the antidrug program aimed at preventing children from doing illegal drugs like Marijuana (pot, maui wowwy, reefer, grass) Or cocaine (angel's dust, heroin, steroids). For some reason they didn't do Dare for my class, but my brother had it the next year, and got a free shirt. Back then that was a big deal, and since 4th graders don't really do a lot of drugs yet, it seemed like it was cool. Like you miss class, get a shirt, theres like a lion mascot or something and a cop comes in.

back in elementry school cops were still cool, and mhy brother says the cop let them look in his cop car and he showed them his shotgun from his trunk. (didn't fire it though) The cops in my town even had trading cards! (Like baseball players but cops).

Anyway since I never got to participate in D.A.R.E. can anyone tell me what I missed, and regale me with fun or enlightening D.A.R.E. stories? Alternatively I will accept any other anti-drug campaigns for children in this thread. My favorite was in health class when you learned about a new drug and got to see all the wacky street names for the drug (see above).

In present day i don't really care too much for or against drugs. I love smoking marijuana (i call it weed), and i love to partake in a cocktail or 12.

I googled "Funny DARE Kid Gif" and this is what came up:

anyway please feel free to share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

op your gonna get in trouble

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

one time i wore a dare shirt while doing drugs, it was intensely hilarious

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

dare made sure i had no friends but dare i say quite a few rare yugioh cards i dared 2 be different iwas basically a yugioh man controlling my own spirit realm thanks to the clairty my mind was afforded but abstaining thank you dare and yugioh for the memories

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Parallax Scroll posted:

op your gonna get in trouble

get lost creep

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

satanic splash-back posted:

one time i wore a dare shirt while doing drugs, it was intensely hilarious

gently caress the system haahaha jk lol

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

social vegan posted:

dare made sure i had no friends but dare i say quite a few rare yugioh cards i dared 2 be different iwas basically a yugioh man controlling my own spirit realm thanks to the clairty my mind was afforded but abstaining thank you dare and yugioh for the memories

you've activated my approval card

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
They taught me stuff but I never got a shirt out of it all though. Bunch of Bs if you ask me

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kuato posted:

They taught me stuff but I never got a shirt out of it all though. Bunch of Bs if you ask me

thats really lousy, the shirt was in my opinion the best part because it was a free shirt and everyone else had one so it was a popular shirt

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

the best part of abstaining from the baddies (drugs/alcohol/cursing, the "unholy" trinity as father jammerz would say) and channeling ur cosmic and holy energies into buying yugioh cards is that as u and ur monsters/traps/silly little, but important, affectations age, u only garner more respect, women look atme differently than a slovenly drunkard, i am classy, tactical, thorough, and oftne underestimated, but always loved and having women sex

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I went thrifting for a dare shirt and found one but it smelt strangely of crayons and I was like surely this smell will wash out

It never did. :smith:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
sex can wait masturbate

Jafars Pal
May 31, 2016

by Shine

social vegan posted:

the best part of abstaining from the baddies (drugs/alcohol/cursing, the "unholy" trinity as father jammerz would say) and channeling ur cosmic and holy energies into buying yugioh cards is that as u and ur monsters/traps/silly little, but important, affectations age, u only garner more respect, women look atme differently than a slovenly drunkard, i am classy, tactical, thorough, and oftne underestimated, but always loved and having women sex

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
DARE helped raise awareness of drugs and made me interested in trying them

Thanks DARE

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

JakeP posted:

I googled "Funny DARE Kid Gif" and this is what came up:

anyway please feel free to share

i choose to share this

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I've never seen somebody vomit from a rollercoaster that is all G's and no spinning

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
y'know how sometimes your looking for osmething gross and instead you find something really hot instead

mila kunis, ladies and gentlemen

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I remember in fifth grade the police man showed us a cool trick where his dog would sit whenever he smelled the drugs. Dogs own

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Flesh Forge posted:

y'know how sometimes your looking for osmething gross and instead you find something really hot instead

disgusting perv, gbs isnt for titillation!! mods ban this sick filth

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

disgusting perv, gbs isnt for titillation!! mods ban this sick filth

Yeah ban this fucker for giving me half a chubby

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
So how'd the police officer trading card thing work out when the gangstas outgunned the po-po?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Flesh Forge posted:

She get it. :grin:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i threw up when they showed the slides of the rotting hearts and lungs lol

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I was very edgy in high school and would wear Dare or Straight Edge clothes all the time because I was a known pot head. There was a small clique of actual straight edge kids who accosted me in the hallway verbally one day. They told me they were going to stab me and burn my house down, to which I replied "do it you loving pussy bitches". Nothing ever happened and now I'm pretty sure all of them are alcoholics. Idk why I was being such a tough guy I only weighed like 140lbs and could not fight them all.

Also Dare programs statistically increase drug usage by making them taboo for kids. It's like that "don't push the button" experiment. You tell someone not to do something and then that's all they want to do. I'm too lazy to find sources for this but you can google it.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Windows 98 posted:

I was very edgy in high school and would wear Dare or Straight Edge clothes all the time because I was a known pot head. There was a small clique of actual straight edge kids who accosted me in the hallway verbally one day. They told me they were going to stab me and burn my house down, to which I replied "do it you loving pussy bitches". Nothing ever happened and now I'm pretty sure all of them are alcoholics. Idk why I was being such a tough guy I only weighed like 140lbs and could not fight them all.

Also Dare programs statistically increase drug usage by making them taboo for kids. It's like that "don't push the button" experiment. You tell someone not to do something and then that's all they want to do. I'm too lazy to find sources for this but you can google it.

iwas gonna say this yeaeh its proven that the dare program has significantly increased the use of drugs by minors like its not even possible its a conincidence its a proven fact

i know whan i had my dare class like gently caress i didtnt know what merijana or coainse was i didnt even see them before an dknwo i knew the cool kids did them and you cuould get high' and then i was like i want thtat too

dare is bad and you should kill yourself (whoeveer is reading this )(

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
dare
anally
rapes
everybody

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

tomstuart posted:

dare
anally
rapes
everybody

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Windows 98 posted:

"are alcoholics" is a funny way to say "suffered massive blunt trauma to the head"

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i didnt even get to participate in dare and i smoke mary jane

imagine if I was in dare id prolly be one of those dudes that buys pharmaceuticals from russia and puts it in my eye and then orders a piano or a dozen snakes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

social vegan posted:

Don't worry, you didn't have friends before Dare

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

watch it pal, this is a friendly friend for friendly people only

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JakeP posted:

watch it pal, this is a friendly friend for friendly people only

I'm a bad bad man

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
When I first started teaching, we had two separate programs, DATE (Drug, alcohol, tobacco education), and "Here's Looking At You: 2000". Both of them said were "hip" and "with it", and "geared to today's youth". They were not. I was trained extensively in both. The only things I ever used were the grody posters and the "smoky sue" a device that smoked a cigarette and allowed you to collect all the crap from the smoke to show what entered the lungs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my school never had D.A.R.E. but we did have classes where teachers told us about drugs and why they are bad, and I'm pretty sure it was their descriptions of the effects of psychedelics that first made me interested in taking them. that and sesame street, which if you go back and watch it as an adult it was clearly made by people smoking the real good poo poo

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

genesplicer posted:

When I first started teaching, we had two separate programs, DATE (Drug, alcohol, tobacco education), and "Here's Looking At You: 2000". Both of them said were "hip" and "with it", and "geared to today's youth". They were not. I was trained extensively in both. The only things I ever used were the grody posters and the "smoky sue" a device that smoked a cigarette and allowed you to collect all the crap from the smoke to show what entered the lungs.

I remember that device my school had one as well. It sucks because drugs are actually lovely (well, the prohibition of drugs is what technically causes the problems but I'm not going to argue the semantic aspect of that) and it makes sense to try and do something to get kids to not do them. Unfortunately they haven't found a way to say "avoid all this poo poo that will make you happy and let you have tons of fun" without basically being a giant billboard for doing it. That smoking one only hit me because of my dads rampant smoking and coughing of phlegm loudly every morning. Ultimately I ended up smoking anyway.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

lol sorry u haven't heard of a little guy w a heart of gold named god

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

We had something like that in elementary school but I had already smoked weed and wasn't a heroin junkie so I was like gently caress the police these niggas lying and gently caress the teachers too and that is how I became a bad boi IRL

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

True facts: They canceled DARE because the message that kids got from it was "there are drugs everywhere, you WILL be pressured to use drugs," and when kids weren't pressured they assumed it was because they weren't popular. So they went out of their way to use drugs, since that's what was supposed to happen to you.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The officer that came to talk to us about DARE in school was an attractive women- literally all I remember about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

An interesting article from shortly before their cancellation: http://priceonomics.com/dare-the-anti-drug-program-that-never-actually/

• Locked thread