Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNa5xr0ED0

Dobrodošli u Hrvatsku

Welcome to Croatia, where the girls look like mildly used purses, the beer tastes like a piss after a night of heavy drinking, and the kits are tablecloths. The country is part of former yugoslavia, but the cool parts like Dubrovnik and Split are in Dalmatia, which used to be part of the Venitian empire, so they're basically redneck Italians that speak weird–which is to say most Italians. It's a very beautiful place. On the food side of things, it's is known for its abundant supply of truffles and dope seafood. Dubrovnik is Kings Landing in Game of Thrones; If you support them for this reason, :getout:

They are really loving good at football for a small country and will be one of the 'underdog' teams heading into the tournament.

Group D:

Unfortunately, Croatia are in what's probably the first or second most difficult group and it'll be hard sledding to get past Spain, Turkey, and a mediocre Czech side.

Croatia and Turkey have some history, with one of the most insane matches ever taking place in 2008. Watch these highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZfpGs-vx1U

The Turks took down the Croats AET, and the Hrvatska boys will want to get them back.

This year's team is one of their strongest ever

they're PROBABLY going to play a 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-3, but their manager is wacky and will play random rear end people. If you look at their qualifying run, there's like no consistency in selection. Going to be a bizarre team that might underperform their talent level, which is one of the best in the tournament. He just played a loving 3-5-2 for the first time like two weeks before the tournament.

So far they've been playing:

Srna + Corluka and Vida + ??? usually Vrsaljko

Badelj who's incredibly boring but pretty good will be the DM in the 4-1-3-2

Modric, Rakitic, and Brozovic

Mandzukic/Kramaric/Perisic

but like i said the manager is loving insane and picks him team on a whim so the only people who have their places remotely secured seem to be Srna, Rakitic, Modric, Corluka (lol) and Perisic. Everyone else has a ton of competition for their place.

I made an effort post, with all the players and poo poo, but had a goofy character in the title and the system ate it, so this is my offering:

this guy might play

Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic and Brozovic is probably one of the best midfields in the tournament

their defense is poo poo and has like one guy who should be a defender in the year of our lord 2016.

<- garbagemen

Mandzukic is not as good but is still cool

their manager Cacic, which is pronounced cock itch, has managed at way too many clubs to be good

He dropped Lovren because they're both egomaniacs.

The most boring 9 minute football vid you can possibly find, when the beat drops they're replaying an average tackle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAPyCMpmZKE

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
This thread must be a mistake. I don't see Serbia in the euros.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Croatia is fully cic

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
poor hrvastkis have been absolutely hosed for their group draw the last three tourneys, pullin for my slav catholic brothers though

srna is also cool and good in perpetuity

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 1, 2016

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Vrsaljko owns but is bad at actual defending. What formation does Croatia play?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Vrsaljko owns but is bad at actual defending. What formation does Croatia play?
sorry I'll add this to the OP they're PROBABLY going to play a 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-3, but their manager is wacky and will play random rear end people. If you look at their qualifying run, there's like no consistency in selection. Going to be a bizarre team that might underperform their talent level, which is one of the best in the tournament. He just played a loving 3-5-2 for the first time like two weeks before the tournament.

So far they've been playing:

Srna + Corluka and Vida + ??? usually Vrsaljko

Badelj who's incredibly boring but pretty good will be the DM in the 4-1-3-2

Modric, Rakitic, and Brozovic

Mandzukic/Kramaric/Perisic

but like i said the manager is loving insane and picks him team on a whim so the only people who have their places remotely secured seem to be Srna, Rakitic, Modric, Corluka (lol) and Perisic. Everyone else has a ton of competition for their place.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 1, 2016

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Nice OP! Let me add a few points.

LOVRENGATE
When assembling the team for March friendlies, the manager invited very few players. He claimed that he didn't need more but then after the first game a few got injured and a few got sick. He barely had enough players to field a team for the second game. And yet for some reason he didn't let Lovren play. Liverpool's CB got angry and after some harsh words was thrown out of the national team. So the wacky manager managed to 1. exhaust players since they didn't have enough replacements in the second game, 2. lose a valuable player, 3. waste an opportunity to give a chance to new players, 4. get thrashed by media for refusing to admit any of this was a mistake.

HALILOVICGATE
Alen Halilovic is Barcelona's player but on a loan to Sporting Gijón. He's only 20 and had a good season in La Liga. He was recently crossed out from the Euro roster to much anger and disbelief from the media and Halilovic's fans. The wacky manager explained that with such strong midfield Halilovic wouldn't get any play but it's widely believed that he wanted to bring some second rate Dinamo Zagreb players instead. You see, Halilovic is already sold so better to use the roster to promote Ćorić, Rog, Pjaca, and Čop (plays in Malaga but is Dinamo's). It's no coincidence that Dinamo's boss (infamous Mamic) is hugely influential in Croatian FA.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 2, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

he really is an insanely wacky manager, how does he still have a job?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Guardian's rundown on all the teams and players has this cool story about Vedran Corluka:

quote:

the former Manchester City and Spurs player is sometimes criticised for being “far too nice” and lacking aggression. In 2011 he made headlines by reacting to a nightclub waiter complimenting him on his diamond-encrusted £36,000 watch by swapping it for the man’s £150 Seiko. A source told The Sun: “The waiter thought it was a joke but it wasn’t. Charlie’s a lovely bloke. Always so polite.”

I'll be cheering for him in France!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Croatia has only two types of managers. a) players from the 90's who have charisma but no experience; and b) Croatian league managers whose biggest club was Dinamo Zagreb and who are Dinamo's boss' door mats. After a few guys of type A, the FA now picked an obedient nobody of type B.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Also a cool story about Corluka... A friend of mine was his teacher in elementary school. Corluka was a polite boy gifted for Croatian classes but he chose to pretend he was dumb so that he would get bad grades and fit in with the tough/genuinely dumb crowd.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Getting bad grades is cool as hell

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Ozujsko is really bad, it tastes like the Adriatic. When in Croatia drink Slovenian beer. As for the team, well I hope they kick the gently caress out of the Turks and get revenge for 08 was it? Oh man We are getting old

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
I didn't mind karlovacko when I was there.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
reminder that mandzukic laughed atthe crying bitch poop failureola and got shitcanned for it so he owns imo

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Ozujsko is really bad, it tastes like the Adriatic. When in Croatia drink Slovenian beer.

The artisanal scene is booming and there are now plenty of Croatian beers better than Ozujsko and Karlovacko. No need to drink Slovenian beer especially since you can't even get it in bars - only in some stores.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

No need to drink Slovenian beer especially since you can't even get it in bars - only in some stores.

Why is this?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I am a plastic for Croatia in this tournament

Cool kit, cool midfield, cool 90s memories

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Curiously enough I had Slovenian beer (Laško) in a bar tonight. It's not that common any more since as I said we now have better Croatian beers. And if you want imported then you'll get it from Belgium or Germany.

Chas McGill posted:

Not sure about the kit but welcome anyway!

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
I'm plasticking for Croatia because of MY CROATIAN WIFE and also because of the top notch seafood and grilled lamb

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The kit may not be cool but it is unusual

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yugoslavia played in Mexico '86 and they had the letter J in their name from what I can remember from my panini album

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Because Slovenia thought it would be a good idea to keep it's beer industry nationalized and it went to the shitter.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I just found out that Croatia are playing San Marino.
Why the gently caress are Croatia playing San Marino what is the purpose of this

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Alexeythegreat posted:

Why the gently caress are Croatia playing San Marino what is the purpose of this

Why is Austria playing the Netherlands

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

just a tune up to get their tactics right and morale high

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

The atmosphere in Croatian football is bad, despite great players in the national team. Croatian FA is corrupt, the manager lacks charisma and support, fans chant fascist slogans.
http://www.total-croatia-news.com/item/12254-croatia-plays-san-marino-in-rijeka-tonight

So, they wanted an easy win (it ended 10-0) and a moderate crowd (Rijeka is a left-leaning city) in hope it will lift the spirits.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

if you choose to play decent teams you can get embarrassed heading into the tournament and kill whatever momentum you had (austria is down 2-0 to the netherlands right now). Only the good teams should be playing teams that just missed out.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

also mandzukic hadn't scored in like a year for the national team and they got him firing with a hattrick today.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Yeah, given the circumstances playing San Marino wasn't such a bad move.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

The atmosphere in Croatian football is bad, despite great players in the national team. Croatian FA is corrupt, the manager lacks charisma and support, fans chant fascist slogans.
http://www.total-croatia-news.com/item/12254-croatia-plays-san-marino-in-rijeka-tonight

So, they wanted an easy win (it ended 10-0) and a moderate crowd (Rijeka is a left-leaning city) in hope it will lift the spirits.

Isnt the FA controlled by the albanian mob

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
Croatia is cool and beautiful. I went to a Hajduk match in Split once and I didn't understand a drat thing about the fans but it seemed like they might have been doing racisms and they handed everyone newspapers to sit on because the formed plastic seats hadn't been cleaned in 20 years. Also the city tennis courts were freaking clay so I give that place an AAA sports rating

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Drew Croatia in the work sweepstake, hopefully Cacic pulls his finger out for me then. Especially with that midfield :pray:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Chas McGill posted:

Ah yes. 90's Croatia with Prosinecki & Boban bossing things - awesome :love:

I'm plastic for Croatia too, the bits of the Country I've seen (the coast) are fantastic although I'd have to agree that the beer is poo poo.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Croatian press is producing huge amounts of non-content before the Turkey game. I could've written most of those articles and I don't even follow football closely. In stark contrast a group of younger journalists around telegram.hr is offering alternative analysis.

1. Right backs: Put Vrsaljko instead of Srna.
Srna is old and can't do much offensively any more. Vrsaljko OTOH had a phenomenal season in Sassuolo and he's supposed to transfer to Atletico Madrid or Napoli this summer. However Srna is the captain and this is his last tournament with the national team so I don't see Cacic leaving him on the bench. A similar mistake was keeping Pletikosa in WC 2014 (although Kovac was the manager then). We have a tradition of sticking with obsolete players for too long.

2. Forward: Kramaric or Kalinic instead of Mandzukic
Mandzo is not old but his play style doesn't suit the national team. He's a big, powerful guy who dominates in the box and pressures opponent's back line. We are more of a tactical team that needs a forward that goes back to get the ball and can cut in deftly. However Mandzo is very popular and Cacic doesn't have the balls to exclude the player that is widely regarded as the best Croatian forward of the last decade.

3. Midfield: Jedvaj and Brozovic instead of Rakitic and Badelj
This borders with heresy but the thinking is that if we are constructing the team around Modric, then we should we should do it properly. We have too much creation in the midfield. Badelj plays in the back but he's not very physical and Rakitic doesn't work that well with Modric (maybe he could if they had Busquets to cover their backs). This is of course never going to happen and Jedvaj is largely untested anyway.

4. Croatia won't progress from the group.
So claims influential (meaning, sometimes quoted by Guardian or ESPN) Aleks Holiga. He's a mega-hater of the manager and the Croatian FA so that's probably clouding his vision.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

We did it.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

That was a pleasant surprise. Possibly the most one-sided game of this Euro so far (or was it Poland - N. Ireland? Didn't watch.)

Strinić was a liability, I expect we'll see Vrsaljko or Ćorluka as LB in the next game.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Croatia :respek: Kurds

https://twitter.com/DrPartizan_/status/742060624054779904

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently Srna found out his father had died during the match last night and will leave the squad for at least the next round...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Reports saying he may miss the next match. I'm guessing Vrsaljko features?

• Locked thread