Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

So, this is the thread GD wanted me to make, and with MyChemicalInbalance deigning not to take up the offer of writing the thread, I can cheerfully go ahead and slander his stupid country.

Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland is not a country. I know I just said it was, but it isn't. It's a non-country full of dirt and gnomes that exists purely out of political necessity. Like Belgium. I could explain here the whole history and foundation of Northern Ireland, but I don't actually know, can't be bothered to paraphrase big chunks of Wikipedia, and it's much easier just to explain that everyone in Northern Ireland is a horrid little bastard who lives in the most terrible poo poo-strewn house that you wouldn't put an Albanian in and who throws rocks at his neighbours' children on the way to school definitely because of something Cromwell did and not at all because he's a little rat man living in a little rat house with one working heater.

If for some inexplicable reason you do want to visit Belfast, remember to get scammed by a taxi driver into him giving you a tour of all the stupid bullshit these people have painted on their houses, including all the new ones, which are poo poo since it turns out it's much harder to paint people's faces if you don't just always do them wearing a balaclava.

Although they do have a population of 1.8m, it should be noted that they've never done what the Republic of Ireland have traditionally done and filled their ranks with a bunch of assorted Brits who've some relative that once drunkenly started a fight at a wake and therefore was declared Irish by the local constabulary. Presumably because getting bullets in the post and losing at home to Moldova doesn't sound like a happy fun time unless you grew up yearning for it.

There's also a secondary problem that a significant percentage of young Catholic players will go ahead and declare for the Republic, which includes James McClean and some other people I won't name because I don't know or care about Irish footballers. The NI team isn't entirely Protestant, but a majority of the fans are, and their national anthem is still 'God Save The Queen'. So of that 1.8m, actually getting 23 willing players who don't live in a bin is something of a challenge.

Even with 24 teams this year, Northern Ireland actually qualifying for a major tournament is unprecedented and should probably be seen as more of an achievement than it actually has been, seeing as for most of the last 20 years they've been kicking around the bottom couple of seeding pools with the real shitbag teams who should be annexed by better countries to save us all the trouble.

This time around, they not only qualified, but won their group, the achievement of which being only slightly sullied by the fact that this is literally the worst loving group of teams I've ever seen in my life:

I mean, christ, Finland got 12 points. Finland. Drunken snow autists. 12 points. Greece descended beyond "farcical" and into "sad and pathetic", coming in as top seeds and ended finishing behind the Faroes, who beat them home and away. Claudio Ranieri would end up being run out of the country and having to take a backwater job at Leicester City.

23 Willing Players Who Don't Live In A Bin

Goalkeepers:

Roy Carroll (Linfield) - Remember Roy loving Carroll? Remember when he randomly spooned a shot into his own net only for the linesman to fail to spot it and for us all to drink beautiful Spurs tears? Guess who's first choice at a major tournament in 2016? He's apparently spent the last two years at Notts County after a spell in Greece, but was released at the end of the season and has signed for Linfield, meaning that NI will outdo the Republic in actually taking a player from their own domestic league.

Also going: Alan Mannus (St Johnstone), Michael McGovern (Hamilton Academical)

Defenders: 

Jonathan Evans (West Bromwich Albion) - Imagine a world where someone asks you about your football team and your answer is that your best and most trusted player is Jonny Evans. Also you're a little rat man in a little rat house who tries to intimidate people by playing the flute at them.

Chris Baird (Derby County) - Old and poo poo. I mean, he was always poo poo, but now he's also old. Indulgently gash.

Patrick McNair (Manchester United) - Paddy McNair, of "got games for United when everyone else was dead", and "name can be sung to the Bucky O'Hare theme tune but nobody thought that was funny" fame. This makes you the first name on the teamsheet for Northern Ireland. May actually play at the back of a midfield diamond based on a picture I saw on the internet.

Craig Cathcart (Watford) - Being a failed United prospect is enough to get you 20+ caps. Belter.

Conor McLaughlin (Fleetwood Town) - Yeah, 24 teams is probably too many teams when you have loving Fleetwood Town players actually getting games.

Also going: Gareth McAuley (West Bromwich Albion), Luke McCullough (Doncaster Rovers), Lee Hodson (MK Dons), Aaron Hughes (free agent)

Midfielders: 

Steven Davis (Southampton) (c) - Apparently good, but not as good as anyone from England, including a 50-year-old Paul Scholes.

Corry Evans (Blackburn Rovers) - "Corry" isn't even a real name. Not even for a pet. Younger brother of Jonny. Also a United reject.

Stuart Dallas (Leeds United) - Leeds best player this season, which is barely even a compliment. Likely hates the blacks and the gays.

Also going: Oliver Norwood (Reading), Shane Ferguson (Millwall), Niall McGinn (Aberdeen), Jamie Ward (Nottingham Forest)

Forwards: 

Kyle Lafferty (Norwich City) - A man who was run out of Italy for touching too many women. Yes, that Italy. With the jokes. It's like being thrown out of an interior design festival for being too gay. Spent the last half of the year on loan to bad Turks.

Conor Washington (Queens Park Rangers) - Remember when I said they don't call up Englishmen? Turns out that was horseshit. Here's an Englishman who isn't particularly lighting up the bottom half of the Championship. Sign the fucker up.

Also going: Josh Magennis (Kilmarnock), Will Grigg (Wigan Athletic)

If you've seen literally any of these players in the last 12 months please post here and let their families know they're all right.

Exciting Games In Which To Watch Your Hopes And Dreams Turn To Ash Before Your Very Eyes

Yeah, they're hosed. They're real hosed. MCI, if you're reading this, bring us back a carton of Richmond Superkings and a bottle of Auchentoshan 18yr on the 22nd, that's a lad.

pyf paramilitary group itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Steven Davis (Southampton) (c) - Apparently good, but not as good as anyone from England, including a 50-year-old Paul Scholes.
I would actually give a rat's rear end about NI if they actually played Steve Davis.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What is it with Manchester United and having Northern Irish youth players?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
probably something to do with the legacy of having george best play for them

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

So many ex United players.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This thread has taught me about the Northern Ireland squad, in addition it has also taught me a lot about Northern Ireland.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Kyle Lafferty (Norwich City) - A man who was run out of Italy for touching too many women. Yes, that Italy. With the jokes. It's like being thrown out of an interior design festival for being too gay. Spent the last half of the year on loan to bad Turks.

Birmingham City, also known as The Bad Turks.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Blue Star Error posted:

Birmingham City, also known as The Bad Turks.

Correct.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

What is it with Manchester United and having Northern Irish youth players?

They have/had partnerships with a few of NI's bigger teams iirc

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ULSTER SAYS NO to getting out of the group stage

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Good thread. Too bad David Healy didnt make it

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Niall McGinn is ace and scores loads of free kicks and is fast and fucks up Efe Ambrose when he runs at him. Also he's a striker now, not a midfielder.

No idea why on earth Magennis made the cut, surely things can't be that bad.

McGovern is class and should be first choice keeper.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Coohoolin posted:

Niall McGinn is ace and scores loads of free kicks and is fast and fucks up Efe Ambrose when he runs at him. Also he's a striker now, not a midfielder.

No idea why on earth Magennis made the cut, surely things can't be that bad.

McGovern is class and should be first choice keeper.

There's a weird stat about Magennis being the only player in the world to play competitive international matches at any level in every position (so this goes from U17 to full internationals) since he was originally a goalkeeper then became a striker but filled in as a defender and winger inbetween.

I remember seeing him playing as both a defender and a striker for Aberdeen (in seperate games) although I can only assume NI think they've called up about six different players all called Josh Magennis and will be really pissed off when only one poo poo-at-everything Magennis turns up.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
the only squad I think can out bomb isis

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Quality OP, I couldn't have given a more balanced overview of wee Norn Iron but I will inject some optimism into the thread.

Northern Ireland bring a 12 match unbeaten streak into the Euros, a team that has been playing together for a while with a manager who knows how to keep things tight and set his team up defensively. Their group was full of shite but winning it was still an achievement for a team that was ranked 126th in the world half a year before the qualifying campaign started.

It's the first time in my life I've been able to watch a major tournament and support my own country. Ask me how we'll do and I'll tell you we could get 4 points. Ask me how I really feel and I'll tell you I'd be happy with a point. This season in football has shown us strange things can happen and the optimism around a team that doesn't concede many goals and has the ability to score on the break is understandable IMO.

If you're a floating fan and you're looking for an underdog to support in the groups just remember wee Northern Ireland. We're also bringing one of Europe's form strikers in Kyle Lafferty (7 in qualifying) and League 1's hottest goal scorer and chant generator, Will Griggs.

Whatever the gently caress happens everyone over supporting the team will enjoy it, the mood is optimistic given our performance in the qualification stage and even though the squad looks poo poo on paper the starting eleven is a respectable international side.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

duckmaster posted:

There's a weird stat about Magennis being the only player in the world to play competitive international matches at any level in every position (so this goes from U17 to full internationals) since he was originally a goalkeeper then became a striker but filled in as a defender and winger inbetween.

I remember seeing him playing as both a defender and a striker for Aberdeen (in seperate games) although I can only assume NI think they've called up about six different players all called Josh Magennis and will be really pissed off when only one poo poo-at-everything Magennis turns up.

Magennis scored against Greece and bought himself some favor with O'Neill, it was between him and Liam Boyce for that last spot up front but with Griggs, Lafferty and Washington all ahead of him he won't get a look in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I definitely read those last two posts.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
It's not a country

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

I definitely read those last two posts.

You should have, they were informative.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

when was the last time that Ireland and North Ireland played eachother in a competitive match?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

when was the last time that Ireland and North Ireland played eachother in a competitive match?

Do the Troubles count?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

http://www.11v11.com/teams/northern-ireland/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Republic%20of%20Ireland/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

How about the nations cup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nations_Cup_(football)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

League 1's hottest goal scorer and chant generator, Will Griggs.

when I first heard that Will Grigg's On Fire I was hoping for a Die Antwoord chant but alas

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He said competitive match.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Will Grigg is the best, and will take the tournament by storm #GAWA

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.
i've been thinking - why don't the republic of ireland and the northern irish team just combine their teams? then they'd have a competitive team for the euros, imho

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Botswana! posted:

i've been thinking - why don't the republic of ireland and the northern irish team just combine their teams? then they'd have a competitive team for the euros, imho
they already do and it's called the Republic of Ireland and it's still not competitive

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.

St Evan Echoes posted:

they already do and it's called the Republic of Ireland and it's still not competitive

actually, they combine the english and irish to create that abomination. i'm talking about some real irish football

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
The US should go in and create some order in those Balkan isles imo

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BELFASTCITY_AIR/status/741830272304480256

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope NornIron lose all their matches

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

YES

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

what a laffable action

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

they'll have to close it in an hour after too much sex in the bathrooms

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A northern Irish fan died after falling over a sea wall in Nice last night.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

julian assflange posted:

Put a dampener on things, fair play to the Republic fans for giving him a clap at their game. Generally been good natured between us and the Republic fans so far, had a great night in Nice with the Poles last night too despite the result. At this stage I'd take a point overall but I can't say enough good things about all the fans involved.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

julian assflange posted:

That's not very nice.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The Norn Iron have always had Troubles with partitions.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

#gawa

e: another Norn Irish fan has died, this time in the stadium during the match :smith:

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 16, 2016

• Locked thread