Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Palpek posted:

Mirror's Edge will surprise everybody and will actually own. I have a hunch.

Have they completely cut out forced combat sections? Cause if so then I could go for more Mirror's Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CrashCat posted:

We can use it when Corn suddenly pulls a Stux mid month. All according to keikaku

I really hope Monster Hunter Generations has stupid translator jokes in it again. The entire Argosy voyage crew in MH3U was just really great.There was a palico named "Neko (Means Cat)", and the Argosy Captain said stuff like, "You need to have a keikaku! Which is a plan!"

Because of the way signal noise works on the internet, I have a hard time telling if I'm in the majority or minority by unironically enjoying all the dumb jokes that they put into localized Monster Hunter. I don't care what Guildmarm was like in the Japanese dialogs, I like the weirdo who talks to people like she's running a daycare center, and wants to gently caress a dinosaur.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think Mirror's Edge at best will be just alright with some huge problems like the last one. Certainly not worth getting day 1, especially because that poo poo will be $20 by August at the latest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

axleblaze posted:

You should. it's p cool and you can play bloodborne on it

Nah, I haven't even finished Dork Quarrels 3 yet.

e: mods plz rename the DS3 thread to that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Have they completely cut out forced combat sections? Cause if so then I could go for more Mirror's Edge.

No and they now give you XP for killing guys and you need to use the XP to buy upgrades to your jumping ability because that's what Mirror's Edge really needed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Golden Goat posted:

From what I read the player can only use hand-to-hand combat and there's some invincibility state you can reach doing *things* as well.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp forget Mirror's Edge 2 then.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deadly_pudding posted:

Because of the way signal noise works on the internet, I have a hard time telling if I'm in the majority or minority by unironically enjoying all the dumb jokes that they put into localized Monster Hunter. I don't care what Guildmarm was like in the Japanese dialogs, I like the weirdo who talks to people like she's running a daycare center, and wants to gently caress a dinosaur.
Who gives a poo poo, if you enjoy game, enjoy game. Don't give a poo poo who tells you not to enjoy it, if you're not harming anyone else

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I thought the limited hand-to-hand combat in the first Mirror's Edge was ok at first. It was when they started throwing tons of enemies at you impossible to take care of without using guns that it went to poo poo. If combat is designed with no firearms then I'm ok with it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Golden Goat posted:

have they also made faith control sanely and do things like grab onto pipes even if she has not fully raised her arm by looking off into space

this is v important

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I dunno, I just hated the combat in general in the first game when it was forced for a few sections.

If it were just poo poo where I can mario stomp on a guys head and keep moving then i'm good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

deadly_pudding posted:

I really hope Monster Hunter Generations has stupid translator jokes in it again. The entire Argosy voyage crew in MH3U was just really great.There was a palico named "Neko (Means Cat)", and the Argosy Captain said stuff like, "You need to have a keikaku! Which is a plan!"

I think most people don't have an opinion because they mash through all of it as quickly as possible. If it meant them coming out sooner I wouldn't mind if they left all of the dialog and flavor text untranslated.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the combat was pretty terrible that is for sure, it had a ton of fiddly little things about it that were never explained at all, and the disarm ability outright lied to you by saying 'press a button when their gun flashes' when in fact you needed to press the button a good while before that

the game for me was ruined by Faith being totally unable to do basic loving things like jumping from pipe to pipe or up ledges unless you put her specifically in the position/mode she wanted to be in before you went to it though. the way my brain blew a fuse when i realized i was phasing through a pipe because her arm wasn't raised before i jumped is something that sticks with me to this day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I dunno, I just hated the combat in general in the first game when it was forced for a few sections.

If it were just poo poo where I can mario stomp on a guys head and keep moving then i'm good.

Oh that would be cool, like a risk/reward thing of head stomping lets you go faster through the level but if you gently caress it up you get shot to hell

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'm still just bitter because I didn't find playing without guns in the original very well done but I tried it anyways and then still missed out on the trophy because of that one part where the game basically strongly indicates that you need to shoot a guy with a sniper rifle and I though surely this doesn't count but no, it did and if you didn't shoot him something else happened and I didn't get my stupid trophy. That is at least part my dumbness but it would have helped if I didn't find playing the game without guns a huge chore in some places.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

Oh that would be cool, like a risk/reward thing of head stomping lets you go faster through the level but if you gently caress it up you get shot to hell

I just really want them treated more like an obstacle that you have to get past more then one that you absolutely have to beat up/kill.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Fire Chomp? loving yes.
Angry suns and exploding chomps, forever.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can you give a fire flower to everything?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I already creamed my pants thinking about all the awesome games they will show at E3 201X

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

This is jizz factory material

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Phantasium posted:

E3 motherfucker

:fuckyeah:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The game should change into Superhot when combat triggers. Like, certain areas are seen as combat arenas like in Batman and when you enter one time slows down, you dodge bullets in slow motion and when you kill the final thug time starts flowing again and all the poo poo that you destroyed falls down on the floor and you're off parkouring again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

No and they now give you XP for killing guys and you need to use the XP to buy upgrades to your jumping ability because that's what Mirror's Edge really needed.

yes all 2 abilities that are mandatory and you get after probably an hour anyway.

honestly after DOOM I don't know if I'll write off anything too quick this year. Was convinced that would be a bomb but it turned out to be more fun to play for me than Uncharted 4.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

The game should change into Superhot when combat triggers. Like, certain areas are seen as combat arenas like in Batman and when you enter one time slows down, you dodge bullets in slow motion and when you kill the final thug time starts flowing again and all the poo poo that you destroyed falls down on the floor and you're off parkouring again.

This would be cool too!

Mirrors Edge sequel bums me out because the original is about 75% of the way to a really cool game and I got excited when they announced a sequel. The last thing that game needed though was the same gameplay with a Ubisoft "open world" placed on top

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

This is just way too easy to photoshop to make it believable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Palpek posted:

That's not a bad idea actually. Superhot was cool but it was more like a little tech demo than a full game, but put that combat system into a bigger context...

In Training posted:

This would be cool too!

Mirrors Edge sequel bums me out because the original is about 75% of the way to a really cool game and I got excited when they announced a sequel. The last thing that game needed though was the same gameplay with a Ubisoft "open world" placed on top

Open world Mirror's Edge where you can parkour through different routes to get places is actually pretty cool.

But in practice it sounds like just a poo poo ton of collect-a-thons and repetitive side-quests to drag out the content, which is super lame.

Very split on ME2, have to see how it plays/reviews. Probably wait a bit and pick it up on sale, but I hope its better than we think.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Only problem i'd have with it being open world is that I could end up just sticking with general routes between areas constantly and it'd get boring.

I'm still interested though cause from videos the platforming looks good so I'll wait for reviews before jumping on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I beat NES Ninja Gaiden 2 yesterday for the first time in my life. I don't think I ever made it past the second stage playing that game as a kid but I still thought it was cool.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

axleblaze posted:

5) also a new mirror's edge and mighty number 9 are coming out but :lol:

I thought MN9 got delayed again?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The original Mirror's Edge had a ton of forced combat and a plot about a conspiracy to assassinate public figures to hide the fact that cops were learning parkour that was told entirely in animated Esurance commercials, I don't get why people are surprised that Mirror's Edge 2 also has forced combat and a dumb story.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Considering most reviews and player feedback from the first game voiced how bad the forced combat sections hosed with the game flow it's a little surprising that they come wheeling back and present forced combat sections again. We'll find out if it's good or bad when it comes out.

I don't know anybody that actually cares about Mirror Edge's plot.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

The original Mirror's Edge had a ton of forced combat and a plot about a conspiracy to assassinate public figures to hide the fact that cops were learning parkour that was told entirely in animated Esurance commercials, I don't get why people are surprised that Mirror's Edge 2 also has forced combat and a dumb story.

Well I'd think it was that since those were the two universal complaints levied at the game, you'd think those would be the things they addressed. And I liked Mirror's Edge too. It's super frustrating at times, but there's no other game that really did what it did. Metroid Prime is really the only 3-D First Person game to do platforming well at all, but Mirror's Edge kind of hit a neat groove of skill and visual flair with how you could run and slide around rooftops. A game that emphasized that and did away with the cumbersome combat (and also maybe they shored up the level design so you'd not spend ten minutes wall jumping in cramped hallways trying to find the right piece of piping to climb on) would be a really solid, possibly groundbreaking title.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

I thought MN9 got delayed again?

It was but June is when it got delayed to.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

http://www.popsci.com/mit-say-super-mario-brothers-is-hard

finally, panga can get his own MIT study

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well I'd think it was that since those were the two universal complaints levied at the game, you'd think those would be the things they addressed. And I liked Mirror's Edge too. It's super frustrating at times, but there's no other game that really did what it did. Metroid Prime is really the only 3-D First Person game to do platforming well at all, but Mirror's Edge kind of hit a neat groove of skill and visual flair with how you could run and slide around rooftops. A game that emphasized that and did away with the cumbersome combat (and also maybe they shored up the level design so you'd not spend ten minutes wall jumping in cramped hallways trying to find the right piece of piping to climb on) would be a really solid, possibly groundbreaking title.

I want a whole game of the ME1 time trials DLC where they made the levels Mario Galaxy looking abstract cubes floating in space

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also :lol: the last Mighty No 9 trailer had the line "cry like an anime fan on prom night" and people are acting all offended

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This kinda stuff always feels exploitative as hell. I mean, yeah, anybody who buys it has only themselves to blame, but it still feels like devs taking advantage of crazy collector hoarder nerds, especially coming from AAA games that are going to make bank regardless.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Also :lol: the last Mighty No 9 trailer had the line "cry like an anime fan on prom night" and people are acting all offended

I just think it's a funny line coming from knockoff-knockoff Astro Boy who's done cross-promotion with Galgun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

I just think it's a funny line coming from knockoff-knockoff Astro Boy who's done cross-promotion with Galgun.

The same company as mn9 kickstarted an anime didnt they?

Its just a bad trailer in a lot of ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

This kinda stuff always feels exploitative as hell. I mean, yeah, anybody who buys it has only themselves to blame, but it still feels like devs taking advantage of crazy collector hoarder nerds, especially coming from AAA games that are going to make bank regardless.

Respect the hustle

• Locked thread