Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The PS4 game where you're a red-haired cavewoman hunting down robots in the future looks cool, unfortunately I do not think I will ever get a PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

axleblaze posted:

You should. it's p cool and you can play bloodborne on it

Nah, I haven't even finished Dork Quarrels 3 yet.

e: mods plz rename the DS3 thread to that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

anime destroys your brain by either making you lust for prepubescent catgirls, or wanting to become a prepubescent catgirl

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You're a glimpse into the future where we are all anime catgirl babes, as Nature xirself intended.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Ubisoft are like the masters of bullshots. Other game devs don't even come close to the amount of artificial prettying they do for previews.

edit: Far Cry 3's press-release bullshots were hilarious, check this poo poo out:

Yes, these are definitely real video game graphics

These look worse than actual FC3 though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Forgettable Fantasy XII.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They totally stole that trick from Riven.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

New trailer for Xena: Robot Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-FCsiF5x4

This game kinda makes me want to get a PS4. Also Ashly Burch appears in every single game that I like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I think out of every up coming game I know about I want this to be good the most, it hits pretty much every 'woah that's cool' button I have

Female protagonist: Check
Bows: Check
Robots: Check
Dinosaurs: Check
TressFX: Check
Lesbian romance options: ???

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

15 FPS: Check

edit- TressFX Menu Option: Unchecked

It's going to be PS4 only so it'll probably lock to 30 FPS just like most other modern console games anyway.

Hair technology has come a long way in games, and I am excited for the future.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Still waiting for more realistic pube hair in video games. We have a long ways to go.

You'd think the anime datesim people would be all over this but something tells me they're not all that into pubic hair, if you catch my drift.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Once we are all anime catgirls with gigantic bazooms, the world will finally know peace.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Isn't Pre-Rec's whole gimmick that they really don't like video games and just mock them to rile up angry nerds on the internet who define their entire identities around them?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, who cares.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Why waste your time browsing a youtube channel for some fat rear end in a top hat's bad opinions about video games when you can just get that local from the Steam thread?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

That is true, but also, someone posted the relevant video here in this thread and I trust my fellow chat thread gamers to post good content instead of bad content. I was unfortunately wrong to do so

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hmm...a protein-rich environment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I enjoy all types of video games, from the most shallow to the most introspective and thoughtful. But I also don't base my entire identity around the video games I like and would almost never ever talk about them in public to another human being. It's my opinion that people should be at least a little bit ashamed to play video games, because if they were, then poo poo like Angry Joe would never exist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

A majority of the prominent authors and philosophers throughout history are just really rich dudes who could afford an education and to sit around thinking and writing a lot instead of working a real job. There's a a pretty rich vein of irony and hypocrisy in a lot of their work that derives from this simple truth.

Hot take on history here, I see an editorial in Salon.com in your future.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am glad that we are living in the zenith of open-world games, such that James Joyce's Ulysses can finally be adapted as the video game it was destined to become.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Watching gameplay videos of the new Mirror's Edge and that awful red directional "go here" ribbon kind of ruins everything about the visuals. It sticks out like a sore thumb and feels to go against the whole open-world parkour style.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Myst series has always had kind of a self-serious tone, but the first one felt lighter to me because of all the fantastical elements within it. Riven was probably the darkest in terms of its subject matter and presentation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

True that Riven's story was a little darker than Myst's, (Mostly just because Ghen is a maniac) but some of the ages in Myst were waaaaay darker than anything in Riven. And the whole thing with the brothers trying to trap you... I dunno. I think Myst is darker overall.

The StoneShip age has that watery cave area which freaked the poo poo out of me as a kid.

And the Channelwood age, and a few others (I think mechanical age too?), you can find the rooms that Atrus' kids lived in, and they have some hosed up poo poo hidden in there. (to clue you in on the brothers' true natures)

Riven only really has that one fire marble dome area where its kinda dark, but its not really all that spooky. The rest of the game is bright and colorful even.

I think if you were to go back and play those games now, you'd see that the color palette is much more all over the place in Myst than in Riven. In Myst you have kooky stuff like big huge gears on top of bright red domes, as opposed to Riven's much more muted browns and greys and natural formations + archtiecture. But I was speaking more about the subject matter, in that you're pursuing a mad tyrant playing God in a dying Age.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Brad Douriff is a genuinely great actor and it's both amazing and kind of absurd that one of his best performances is in an early 2000s adventure game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Console shooters have been dead to me ever since they abandoned the Goldeneye-style tank controls. Dual stick configurations will never make sense for me to use over kb+m.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Megasabin posted:

As someone with no experience with modern day adventure games would you guys start with a telltale game, life is strange, or a stand alone like Gone Home or Firewatch?

Life is Strange is my personal favorite, TWD Season 1 is also a masterpiece. Gone Home is great but it only takes two hours to complete. People have really good things to say about Tales from the Borderlands but it's not my kind of narrative. Firewatch I have yet to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most truly bad games have poor fundamentals like control + basic gameplay so it's not an enjoyable experience even to mock. You only catch lightning in a bottle like Dragon Age 2 once in a blue moon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As I recall you can also play the game without the diary entries being read to you, if that's what you prefer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You could easily tell the story of Gone Home in any other medium without really losing anything in the process.

I disagree with this because the objects that you find and in the order in which you find them does affect your overall impressions about the characters in the story. Like most people went through the entire game never scratching the surface from the father's sexual abuse subplot. Others missed the parent's plans to send Sam to a "pray away the gay" camp, or the ripped up concert ticket in the vent that shows the mom didn't end up going through with the affair. Sam's self-discovery is the main driving narrative force but the ways in which those elements are revealed depends a lot upon how thorough the player is in looking and how they piece together separate events. You couldn't get that from a film or novel that has one prevailing order of events, stuff like House of Leaves notwithstanding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I feel like replaying Gone Home now

If you haven't seen it already they added in a developer commentary mode that is actually really cool + insightful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My favorite single part of Gone Home is when you find Sam's biology assignment crumpled up in a folder somewhere, where she responds to these rather mundane questions in increasingly ridiculous, funny and creative ways. She gets a "see me" mark from her teacher and fails the assignment. Later on, you can find Katie's same exact biology assignment from when she was in 9th grade. She answers predictably and gets an A. It's a great moment because it shows everything you need to know about Katie, Sam, their relationship as sisters, and their relationship to their parents while barely saying anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They'll do this for any IP with even the slightest amount of name recognition, kind of like how S-E tacked Dungeon Siege III onto a completely different game even though the original DS series was only semi-popular at the time and the last title was made like 8 years before DS3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Imagine if you will, our willing suspension of disbelief and indeed the whole of human fiction owned by a single "meh."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope the Neo PS4 doesn't release before then so I don't have to buy the more expensive console because it'll run Horizon Zero Dawn at 10 more FPS, because that is something I would totally do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For me it was beating the final boss of Sonic 2 because at the time I was at home sick with a 103 fever and nearly cried in delirium.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

would rather eat the big mac in 2nd pic than ever play DNF

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hey folks, I really enjoy stuff like the PopFiction stuff about video games, Unseen 64, and Did You Know Gaming. Any other good stuff on Youtube worth watching in that vein?

The Gamesack guys are pretty good for uncovering lots of weird off-brand systems and obscure games from the 80s and 90s.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Games are such a ridiculous investment now that publishers probably don't want to take a risk showing anything they don't have 100% control over. Why show pre-alpha gameplay footage and be subjected to impatient nerds on the internet finding the lowest hanging fruit and mocking it endlessly when you can reveal only what you want to and snatch up millions in pre-orders from those very same nerds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

You're right
We saw scalebound gameplay at gamescom last year and people were laughing at it being a mess of gameplay ideas and bad character design
We saw a cg trailer for recore last e3 and people think its exciting and cool (without even knowing what kind of game it is and theyve got giant bomb going like "what if its an xbox zelda" )

After years of finally wising up to Molyneaux-style overpromising on intended features, the hot new way to fleece hopeful gamer nerds is to promise nothing, show the same five minutes of gameplay footage over and over, and let them wildly fantasize about what features will probably exist from that alone. Once you get dem pre-orders, you don't have to include a drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Xx3MdqdgM

I want this game.

• Locked thread