Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Food Court Druid posted:

He's not a good wrestler. He's not a bad wrestler.

He's the wrestler.

In all seriousness. He's not a bad wrestler, but he sits in one of the deepest pools of talent that WWE has ever seen, can't talk for poo poo and gets pushed to the top of the company because he has "The Look" or some bullshit. So we justifiably hate the guy because he's far above his station in and bores crowds to death on the regular, to the point that I was more invested in the Zac Ryder vs Miz match on the Raw after mania than I have been in any Roman match for years.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Every other wrestler has the deepest pools thing going against him. He talks mostly fine minus a few trash fires about magic beans and that period last year where he'd change up his motivations weekly and ya, his catch phrase is kinda grating. "The Look" isn't a tangible quality but it ain't bullshit neither. He looks like a leading man from his thousand yard stare to his cleft chin to his narrow jaw and soft, pouty lips. Arbitrary? Learned? Whatever. People react to it. Often with resentment.

I don't understand this point. What I'm saying is that on the current roster I could probably name like 15 guys who are better at wrestling than Roman is and it's bullshit that a man like him is on top given the depth of the talent pool. And Jesus Christ if you think Roman is fine at talking then your perception of reality is so different to my own that I'm not convinced we live on the same planet.

The look is horseshit because a troll with a hugeass beard was the most popular face in recent memory. It's an antiquated conception of what sells to a modern market that should have died long ago.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

I don't think there are fifteen guys and I don't think any one of the less than fifteen guys would be better suited for the top spot. Also we live on the same planet but your appraisal of Roman's talking is filtered under a lens of bitterness. He talks fine, when not given dumb lines, he could be better for sure.

The look ain't antiquated neither. Bryan had a boat load of charisma, which factors into the whole look thing. Roman has charisma too, just in a Jeff Hardy or Undertaker sense, in that his presence itself lends legitimacy. And he talks better than either of them.

Brock, Cena, Seth, Dean, Owens, Jericho, Cesaro, Zayn, Styles, Big E, Kofi, Del Rio, Rusev, Harper, Neville. 15, not including NXT which has Nakamura, Balor, Joe and Aries.

And that's where I think people will probably agree, I'd probably personally put Bray Wyatt, Apollo Crews, Dolph, Sheamus and even the Miz above him in terms of wrestling ability.

Seth is better for the top spot, so is Dean. If Owens wasn't such an amazing heel he would be too and Cesaro certainly is given his promo ability is at least as good as Reigns and that he's a vastly superior wrestler. Zayn is with a bit of work and the second Balor gets called up he will be too. I also think Big E's up there. Were Styles not as old as he is, he'd also be better.

Charisma doesn't factor into the look. Looks factor into the look. Charisma is the thing that means people want to watch you do things instead of change the channel which is what they've been doing in their droves since the Roman era began. Roman is pushed because the company thinks he's pretty, despite the fact that he is an absolute black hole of charisma. That's because they think he has "The Look." It's antiquated. They should push people based on whether the crowd actually wants to see them do poo poo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

exploding mummy posted:

You consider the Miz to be a better worker than Roman Reigns

:yikes:

Yes. This is coloured by the fact that I'm invested in his matches and character and is likely to not be objective, which is why he's on my personal list.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Don't count, yes, no, no, sure, no, yes, yes, yes, no, no, the gently caress?, no, no and I can't for the life of me remember a Neville match when it is not in progress so maybe?
Aries, sure, I'm done talking to you.

Mate if you think Rollins is a worse worker than Reigns then I have literally no idea what to say to you.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he was getting cheered for like two weeks in November or December, does anyone remember what they were doing with him then?

They gave away a world title change on free TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To be clear, as much as I hate Roman right now, if they had just copied Deadly games at Survivor series beat for beat and made him the corporate champ I would have loved it.

If they turn him heel I'm sure it'll be excellent.

• Locked thread