Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dont get it. If Batman knew brazilian jiu jitsu he could mop the floor with superman in a kryptonite suit, because superman is just a striker. I dunno about the rest of you but if I was a superhero in a world with other supers, I wouldn't rest on my laurels just saying "oh I have superpowers I'll use those." If you have to go toe to toe with another super, you better have more than just the power of earthquakes or some poo poo like that. There are some supers who are basically just PRETTY STRONG and they know martial arts, like you got Iron Fist and Daredevil. But then Luke Cage is like "oh I am bulletproof I'll be ok if I just bulk up." No way would that be me if I could shoot fire out of my eyes. Like if you took a high end mixed martial artist and gave them a super power like turning into stone, they would find a way to incorporate that into their kata and grow from it. Too many supers are using their super powers as a crutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Taskmaster likely knows every martial art, but isn't so much a hero as a mercenary as it were. :shrug:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kuato posted:

Taskmaster likely knows every martial art, but isn't so much a hero as a mercenary as it were. :shrug:

That doesn't count because that IS his super power

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The Karate Kid duh :rolleyes:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

He meets your requirements OP.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

chuck norris

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Spider-Man was trained in martial arts by Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung Fu.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Thought of two more OP.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
They had this plot on Supergirl. Her sister tells her than she can do just fine against normal people without training but not against other super powered beings, so she starts teaching Kara how to actually fight.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

He meets your requirements OP.

He falls in the category of "dude that's pretty strong" but not like a full blown superhero. Just really fit

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I'm pretty sure the fact that Superman doesn't know how to fight is actually part of his whole deal. I believe Wonderwoman calls him out for being a little bitch who couldn't actually do anything if he wasn't a walking cheat code every once in awhile.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

He falls in the category of "dude that's pretty strong" but not like a full blown superhero. Just really fit

I'm sorry, having the "Strength of ten men" is not a superpower?
From Wiki
"This accounts for many of his extraordinary feats, including bench pressing 1200 pounds (545 kg) and running a mile (1.6 km) in 73 seconds (49 mph/78 kph).[144] Furthermore, his enhancements are the reason why he was able to survive being frozen in suspended animation for decades. He is highly resistant to hypnosis or gases that could limit his focus.:

Sure in Earth 616.... Oh you son of a bitch.

You almost got me to serious post an effort post.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
none of those people are "real" superheroes. steve jobs is a "real" superhero, im not sure if he knew martial arts but apparently he dropped acid

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
all I know I know is that I am bigger and stronger than you

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

all I know I know is that I am bigger and stronger than you
girth and scent

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

I'm sorry, having the "Strength of ten men" is not a superpower?
From Wiki
"This accounts for many of his extraordinary feats, including bench pressing 1200 pounds (545 kg) and running a mile (1.6 km) in 73 seconds (49 mph/78 kph).[144] Furthermore, his enhancements are the reason why he was able to survive being frozen in suspended animation for decades. He is highly resistant to hypnosis or gases that could limit his focus.:

Sure in Earth 616.... Oh you son of a bitch.

You almost got me to serious post an effort post.

The world record for bench press is like 1100 pounds. He is the strongest dude around but like look at the Fantastic Four. Mr Fantastic is a living stretch armstrong and Mrs Fantastic can turn invisible!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The Punisher's martial art is gun.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Nothing can move the Bloawb

-X-Men: the arcade game, "The Blob" (stage 2)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

The world record for bench press is like 1100 pounds. He is the strongest dude around but like look at the Fantastic Four. Mr Fantastic is a living stretch armstrong and Mrs Fantastic can turn invisible!

In the spirit of the thread and arguing in good faith, OP asked for a super, which CAP does qualify for by comic book standards, maybe not yours.

Dude has been advanced to the absolute peak of human limitations and took the time to learn enough martial arts to adapt his own style and to include fighting with a shield, to the point that he could boomerang the fucker around, almost in denial of the laws of physics.

Unless you wish to be a....

He qualifies.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

girth and scent

got em both buddy.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

honey pot thread

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

In the spirit of the thread and arguing in good faith, OP asked for a super, which CAP does qualify for by comic book standards, maybe not yours.

Dude has been advanced to the absolute peak of human limitations and took the time to learn enough martial arts to adapt his own style and to include fighting with a shield, to the point that he could boomerang the fucker around, almost in denial of the laws of physics.

Unless you wish to be a....

He qualifies.

According to the Marvel Power Grid he only ranks a 3 on Strength, which is Peak Human not Superhuman which starts at 4. I'm sorry

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

According to the Marvel Power Grid he only ranks a 3 on Strength, which is Peak Human not Superhuman which starts at 4. I'm sorry

Your intellect is ranked at a -1 on the Marvel Power Grid. :)

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
wheres steve jobs on the marvl power grid????

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

0 in all categories

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
lower is better im assuming

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Crack posted:

wheres steve jobs on the marvl power grid????

my uncle was real angry about the apple store

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some don't need it.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBlFCH0d3o4 . Yes.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If I had laser eyes and could fly the last thing I'd do is waste all my time learning a bunch of gay karate. I'd just spend all my time laser shooting the doors off of bank vaults.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Daredevil is more or less a ninja. He just can't see.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Some don't need it.

I think that's the thing. Martial arts is about making the most of your strength and defending yourself. If you don't need to do either, why bother?

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I care about superheroes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

I think that's the thing. Martial arts is about making the most of your strength and defending yourself. If you don't need to do either, why bother?

Because sometimes the supers fight each other

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Iron Fist knows martial arts. It's like his thing.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I guess Black Canary does that. She has a superpower, but she also learned how to fight. But her superpower is just yelling really loud, so it makes sense that she'd want another way to solve her problems.

But they took away her superpower in that Arrow show for some reason. So she was just a fighting person with a sonic device that nobody else ever used. Maybe they wanted to keep it "realistic", but then they introduced The Flash and an Iron-Man wanna-be, so idk.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I guess Black Canary does that. She has a superpower, but she also learned how to fight. But her superpower is just yelling really loud, so it makes sense that she'd want another way to solve her problems.

But they took away her superpower in that Arrow show for some reason. So she was just a fighting person with a sonic device that nobody else ever used. Maybe they wanted to keep it "realistic", but then they introduced The Flash and an Iron-Man wanna-be, so idk.

Yeah but Thea was lookin fine as hell.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

pretty sure Oracle knows Krav Maga

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Actually Superman is well versed in the superior Kryptonian martial arts of Torquasm-Rao, Klurkor and Horu-Karu. Lois Lane also learned some of the techniques and uses it to great advantage during roller derby brawls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Superheroes Are Not Real

• Locked thread