Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Wowee! So much going on this past month, you’d think the US was a bunch of bigoted yokels who thought that an orange-faced troll was suited to be president. Oh wait… We do! But don’t worry, Hillary will be president… If America doesn’t wake up and realize that populist demagoguery is its true future, anyway. And we haven’t even gotten to budget season! Be afraid! Or not! Whatever you choose, just remember that, even as America slowly circles the shitter, you’re always welcome here in USPOL June 2016! :glomp:

114th Congress Bingo Card

Congress has been a bit more active this month. If by active you mean holding meaningless hearings and issuing their usual pie-in-the-sky plans for what Obama should be signing into law over the rest of the year. That counts as activity, right?

Other News

Now that Clinton has pretty much sewn up the nomination (or will in a week), I’ve decided to retire the Clinton Corner, so we’re just left with the other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As usual, post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hail Satan

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SECOND

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

What up Ted?

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
So, will this be the month we know when things are absolutely hosed?

Australian, btw. I don't follow American news so we might have that answer already.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

So, will this be the month we know when things are absolutely hosed?

Australian, btw. I don't follow American news so we might have that answer already.

Trump won't be president come November if that's what you're worried about....

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

stone cold posted:

Trump won't be president come November if that's what you're worried about....

Yeah, gotta wait for January.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
I can safely say that the toxx threads this year will (hopefully) be as hysterical as the ones from 2012.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
USPOL, having once already ignored polls showing Trump in a strong position, doubles down on this analytical strategy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The end is never the end

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheOneOutside posted:

I can safely say that the toxx threads this year will (hopefully) be as hysterical as the ones from 2012.

Trump one funny? I don't bother clicking on it since it's full of losers like Mitt Romney.

What's funny is how defensive he got when it came to SUPPORT ARE TROOPS.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

I just want this god drat election to be over. :guinness:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Next Tuesday, Bernie calls it quits after a moderate loss in California. Everyone fidgeting about him going third party and spoiling the election for Clinton quietly pack up their rhetoric and move on to other bad narratives.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

faxlore posted:

The worst part is, technically, this election hasn't even begun yet. :smithicide:

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

SSNeoman posted:

The end is never the end

faxlore posted:

Ratoslov posted:

The worst part is, technically, this election hasn't even begun yet. :smithicide:

Oh goodness, just look at the time:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It was cute hearing Canadians moan about how long their election cycle was dragging on. What was that, like 7 weeks?

The only consolation will be seeing Trump have a slow motion nervous breakdown from being needled by 30 people at once for 6 months

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kilroy posted:

USPOL, having once already ignored polls showing Trump in a strong position, doubles down on this analytical strategy.

The red states are going to be soooooo red this year. The crop will be glorious.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kilroy posted:

I honestly thought Trump didn't have a chance. Until I realized that over the last 9 presidential elections, every time the Democrats have said "nobody's gonna vote for the Republican, he's stupid", the Republican won.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Sarah Palin count? Cause everyone thought she was a complete buffoon. Then she lost just like Trump will.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

I honestly thought Trump didn't have a chance. Until I realized that over the last 9 presidential elections, every time the Democrats have said "nobody's gonna vote for the Republican, he's stupid", the Republican won.

Not entirely true, McCain picked Palin as VP and was thus branded as an idiot who people wouldn't vote for

Also Perot

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Republicans have only won the popular vote for President in one out of the last six elections, and that one was in the midst of two new wars and was a 49%/51% popular vote split. Reagan and H.W. Bush were in a completely different political era, so I don't know if taking those elections into account makes much sense for analyzing this cycle.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-is-the-tail-risk-candidate-2016-5

lol

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Inferior Third Season posted:

Republicans have only won the popular vote for President in one out of the last six elections, and that one was in the midst of two new wars and was a 49%/51% popular vote split. Reagan and H.W. Bush were in a completely different political era, so I don't know if taking those elections into account makes much sense for analyzing this cycle.

Statistically speaking, America has never elected a Republican president, so clearly Trump will lose.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

Statistically speaking, America has never elected a Republican president, so clearly Trump will lose.

Gore made the mistake of distancing himself from Clinton. Kerry made the mistake of being an actual for reals war hero. So clearly you're full of poo poo and can't read.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DemeaninDemon posted:

Gore made the mistake of distancing himself from Clinton. Kerry made the mistake of being an actual for reals war hero. So clearly you're full of poo poo and can't read.

What are you even arguing? The default is Democrat victory, but sometimes something different happens and those cases don't count?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://election.princeton.edu/2016/05/31/state-poll-snapshot-clinton-336-trump-202-ev-meta-margin-4-2/#more-15796

feels good man

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yes, but wait until you see Trump's brilliant electoral strategy:

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/736976526319587330

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

What are you even arguing? The default is Democrat victory, but sometimes something different happens and those cases don't count?
What are you even arguing? Democrats are five out of the last six elections in popular vote. Or, to put it another way, Democrats have won decisively in four out of the last six elections, and it was pretty close to a tie in the other two.

So, yes, for the Presidency, the default is a Democratic victory, but sometimes something different happens that gives the Republicans a chance to take it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

Based on the EV map going into the general, the path towards a Democratic (gently caress you can't even get that right) victory is much, much easier than a Republican one. The gop needs to clean house on the swing states while the Democratic party needs like 1-2 of them to secure victory.

This simple bit has been explained multiple times since the dawn of uspol. It's not set in stone because nothing in the universe is. Unless it's actually a stone statue or something. However, I believe Trump will lose the general and lose badly in terms of EVs.

That better? Can you read that?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
^^Fucker. :saddowns:

Kilroy posted:

Pretty sure even his best state by state polls add up to a large EC loss for Trump at the moment.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Inferior Third Season posted:

What are you even arguing? Democrats are five out of the last six elections in popular vote. Or, to put it another way, Democrats have won decisively in four out of the last six elections, and it was pretty close to a tie in the other two.

So, yes, for the Presidency, the default is a Democratic victory, but sometimes something different happens that gives the Republicans a chance to take it.

Republicans won five out of the last nine presidential elections. Or seven out of the last twelve presidential elections. So clearly Republicans always win unless something different happens.

The Green party always wins unless something different happens. They're on a pretty bad streak of something different happening, but still.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DemeaninDemon posted:

Based on the EV map going into the general, the path towards a Democratic (gently caress you can't even get that right) victory is much, much easier than a Republican one. The gop needs to clean house on the swing states while the Democratic party needs like 1-2 of them to secure victory.

This simple bit has been explained multiple times since the dawn of uspol. It's not set in stone because nothing in the universe is. Unless it's actually a stone statue or something. However, I believe Trump will lose the general and lose badly in terms of EVs.

That better? Can you read that?

Then just say that, not that Democratic victory is the default state of America.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wanted to chime in that last month we talked about good political podcasts and Chapo Trap House came up. It is a good show and people should check it out. Fair warning though it is SA and ironic bully Twitter distilled to its purest form.

It can get a little tiring though listening to them just bash on the same guy for an hour. That is the only complaint.

Edit: not even 6 hours into the month and people are already arzying. Will be a good election.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, but wait until you see Trump's brilliant electoral strategy:

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/736976526319587330

I didn't know Trump was into that whole six californias thing.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

Then just say that, not that Democratic victory is the default state of America.

It's easier calling you an idiot since the EV reasoning gets repeated a whole lot. If you're new here then gently caress you I hate you.

I really don't I'm just tired and want to go home.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Republicans won five out of the last nine presidential elections. Or seven out of the last twelve presidential elections. So clearly Republicans always win unless something different happens.

The Green party always wins unless something different happens. They're on a pretty bad streak of something different happening, but still.
How recently events occurred and the context in which those events occurred is important in intelligently analyzing their predictive capability, and for establishing the baseline for even determining whether a particular situation is normal or "something different".

If you'd like, I could explain in detail why I think that the election of Clinton was the first of the "modern political era", and thus should be considered much more relevant than the elections of Reagan and H.W. Bush that took place during the Cold War.

But I don't think you actually are interested in that, and are more interested in just being contrarian.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Oh god there's a tiny blip on the "Trump wins" side. :ohdear:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

El Disco posted:

Oh god there's a tiny blip on the "Trump wins" side. :ohdear:

yeah, and there will be more/bigger ones before this is over, most likely. but that's 16,384 possible outcomes, out of which he wins like five. the blog post suggests--if i'm reading it right--trump needs to shift the GE state polls 4.24% (4.24% directly from hillary to trump, not involving gary johnson, with a post-sanders bump coming to hillary at some point, seems very unlikely to me) to indicate a likely scenario where clinton doesn't get 270

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

emdash posted:

yeah, and there will be more/bigger ones before this is over, most likely. but that's 16,384 possible outcomes, out of which he wins like five. the blog post suggests--if i'm reading it right--trump needs to shift the GE state polls 4.24% (4.24% directly from hillary to trump, not involving gary johnson, with a post-sanders bump coming to hillary at some point, seems very unlikely to me) to indicate a likely scenario where clinton doesn't get 270

but but but :ohdear:

Can we please reintroduce the rule that if posters Arzy they have to post corresponding EV maps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Either I'm dumb or sleep-deprived, certainly both. How do I read this? What does the y-axis mean?

• Locked thread