Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Teenage Fansub posted:

I enjoy everything I'm pulling (except for the the Final Days of Superman and Earth 2 I was reading out some obligation.) I don't feel like I need to reel myself back, unless I really had to have $40ish a week to go elsewhere.

I feel much worse about my game spending, just because there isn't the time to keep up and stop things piling up in the backlog.

e: Like, spending less than an hour reading three or four comics most days doesn't seem like an insane amount of time to give to one of your favorite things.

My game backlog is way harder for me to justify than my comics. I complain about having dozens of unread books and I keep buying more, but at least the books I buy don't all go on sale for 50% off a month after I bought them and left them untouched.

I am a dummy that preordered The Division's season pass and that alone was a worse purchase than any comicbook I own :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

So I'm on The Clown at Midnight in Morrison's Batman run

Wait till that artist returns in Batman Inc to depict cyberspace. It's horrific. It's great.

If you're reading in singles, remember to skip the Resurrection of Ras issues coming up. Bit of a useless crossover. Dunno if they removed them for trades.

e: And don't give up! There's a JH Williams III drawn arc around the corner.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 3, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Toxxupation posted:

So I'm on The Clown at Midnight in Morrison's Batman run, and I have to ask - is this comic just a product of its time or something? Like did anyone here read it back in 2007 when it came out and was the whole lovely sub-SFM/Garry's Mod-quality graphics good and/or effective, or the unbelievably purple prose impactful and interesting? Because man this issue comes across as actively repellent when reading it nearly a decade removed as part of a run.
No, even when it came out it couldn't have landed with a bigger thud.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God having just finished The Clown at Midnight there's only one time Morrison actually utilizes the fact that it's prose in a way that's effective or necessitates the form and that's the whole "Joker deciding what personality he wants to be" bit, which could've itself been done with him staring in a mirror or something and it runs through all the various faces he's had. Everything else about the issue felt like what you'd find if you searched for "Batman noir" on fanfiction.net. And it doesn't even end. Like that's the most insulting part. Thousands and thousands of words and it doesn't have a conclusion that feels satisfactory or earned.

What an annoying, annoying issue.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ive read through Morrison's run a few times now and somehow I forget that issue exists every single time and I get to be horrified all over again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

God having just finished The Clown at Midnight there's only one time Morrison actually utilizes the fact that it's prose in a way that's effective or necessitates the form and that's the whole "Joker deciding what personality he wants to be" bit, which could've itself been done with him staring in a mirror or something and it runs through all the various faces he's had. Everything else about the issue felt like what you'd find if you searched for "Batman noir" on fanfiction.net. And it doesn't even end. Like that's the most insulting part. Thousands and thousands of words and it doesn't have a conclusion that feels satisfactory or earned.

What an annoying, annoying issue.

That is the exact issue that made me drop Morrison's Batman. It really is a super lovely comic. Real interesting, but super lovely. Jokers poison blood is hilarious too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Hootington posted:

That is the exact issue that made me drop Morrison's Batman. It really is a super lovely comic. Real interesting, but super lovely. Jokers poison blood is hilarious too.

So you dropped it right after Batman and son arc, before the comic began to really become good?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is Marvel Unlimited any good? It says it has more than 17,000 comics, but is that just comics they don't think they can sell independently?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's basically everything older than six months, minus Max and non-Star Wars licensed comics.
Unless you wanna read Godzilla King of the Monsters or The Punisher, you're set.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 3, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah, there some runs from the 80s and 90s that aren't there, but they add all new releases 6 months behind and add new back issues every week.

But they're not holding back anything because it might hurt trade sales or whatever. You wanna read Fraction's Hawkeye or the Hickman FF through Avengers/New Avengers, Gaiman's 1602, all of the Miller Daredevil comics, even the original Dr Strange backups from Strange Tales, it's all there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marvel Unlimited absolutely slays, it's a godsend for new comics readers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So you dropped it right after Batman and son arc, before the comic began to really become good?

This is what I'm told. At the time the first arc wasn't really good and that prose issue convinced me this was going to be experimental art Grant and not trippy, good comics Grant. Who could have known.

boom boom boom posted:

Is Marvel Unlimited any good? It says it has more than 17,000 comics, but is that just comics they don't think they can sell independently?

It is the greatest thing ever and a steal at $10 a month.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I liked the first arc. Damian comes across as Jason Todd except with a justified reason for being the way he is and not "No, gently caress YOU dad!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That prose issue is really the only bad part of Morrison's Batman

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wait till that artist returns in Batman Inc to depict cyberspace. It's horrific. It's great.

Different artist. Still terrible both times, agreed.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I love that there's multiple dudes out there churning out the ugliest Poser comics imaginable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hup posted:

I love that there's multiple dudes out there churning out the ugliest Poser comics imaginable.

Brutal owns on Mike Deodato and Ariel Olivetti.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm surprised nobody seems to call Mikael Janin out on it.
Granted, most of the time it works for him. He usually does just enough free drawing on top, but...

Unless the story is about Lex replacing the Justice League with action figures.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 4, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Granted, most of the time it works for him. He usually does just enough free drawing on top, but...

Those are clearly Poser models, but they're also Poser models with actual hand drawn stuff on top of them. It looks like he only uses the Poser models for actual posing and modeling. The coloring also makes it look much better than it should. It's not great, but I'd rather read a book with that art in it than a Greg Land or even a Jim Lee or Bryan Hitch.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Janin layouts are top notch so I can excuse his models.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you're reading in singles, remember to skip the Resurrection of Ras issues coming up. Bit of a useless crossover. Dunno if they removed them for trades.
The Resurrection of Ra's is in its own trade, which makes it easy to ignore if that's how you're reading them.

quote:

e: And don't give up! There's a JH Williams III drawn arc around the corner.
It rules.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Did The Black Casebook come out right before Morrison's Batman RIP run? Because I'm trying to see how anyone could reasonably remember a bunch of super obscure Golden/Silver Age Batman stories (and Robin Dies At Dawn) without it, or how the run makes any loving sense whatsoever if you don't have those stories fresh in your mind. Or is Bat-Mite/Zur-En-Arr/Club of Superheroes more memorable than I assumed?

But yeah these issues might be the straight-up densest comics I've ever read. Seriously trying to envision anyone reading this comic monthly and making heads or tails of what's going on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

After.
That period was a big attempt by him to show how all the crazy old Batman stories existed for this guy.

Almost everything he writes for DC is filled with obscure history, but he usually leaves it up to you to go look it up. That casebook is a rare official helper.

I think some website has a footnote guide for every issue, or did while it was running.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 4, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That "red and black" reveal for Jezebel Jet is crass. Even for comics, and by comics standards, that's a crass reveal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

God drat it, loving NO! Not Muhammad Ali! gently caress! Wasn't Darwyn Cooke enough?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

And yes this is on topic for a comics forum.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

God drat it, loving NO! Not Muhammad Ali! gently caress! Wasn't Darwyn Cooke enough?

He's a boxer who made it 74. Not exactly a great candidate for the "Why him, Lord?" treatment

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

boom boom boom posted:

He's a boxer who made it 74. Not exactly a great candidate for the "Why him, Lord?" treatment

I definitely don't want to tell people how sad they should be about anybody dying but I honestly thought he died like, decades ago.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

Did The Black Casebook come out right before Morrison's Batman RIP run? Because I'm trying to see how anyone could reasonably remember a bunch of super obscure Golden/Silver Age Batman stories (and Robin Dies At Dawn) without it, or how the run makes any loving sense whatsoever if you don't have those stories fresh in your mind. Or is Bat-Mite/Zur-En-Arr/Club of Superheroes more memorable than I assumed?
Bat-mite had been in a few other things as a joke character, but it's mostly incredibly obscure stuff.

The story only really needs you to know the broad strokes, namely that the Batman stories of 50 years ago were weird and silly. Morrison hadn't read everything in the Black Casebook before he wrote RIP.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bat-mite's pretty memorable as far as obscure dudes go.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think Jeph Loeb was probably the last person to use Bat Mite prominently before Morrison's run. Both wildly different interpretations, but they were both really well done.

Rhyno, you better tell me it's not true that he sold some of his collection while his son was sick. Sam Loeb died while my mom had cancer. She got better, but it made me a huge Jeph Loeb apologist.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

You seem very upset about this Batman run.

Just chillax, enjoy some high-quality Batmanning about, and take to heart that you don't actually need to know anything about those past stories. They're referenced, they're out there if you want to read them, but you don't need them. I have never read the Black Casebook issues, but that era of Grant's Batman is still one of my favorites hands down.

Grant did not expect you, the casual reader, to have read the entirety of the Silver Age. Or any of it, really. Like, the Batmen of Nations; like, there was an international group of ersatz Batmen once. OK, that's all you need to know, and you learn that within the comic. All of the characters' relationships is established within the comics, too.

It is dense, sure, and it only gets more complicated (hellooooooo, Return of BW #6!), but that's part of the fun, and what makes this run stand out so much. Don't fight it, roll with it, baby!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 4, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Except for Morrison loving up the ending of Son of the Demon so that Talia date-rapes Bruce instead of them essentially being a happily married couple. I can still be upset about that, right?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Except for Morrison loving up the ending of Son of the Demon so that Talia date-rapes Bruce instead of them essentially being a happily married couple. I can still be upset about that, right?

Yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Rhyno, you better tell me it's not true that he sold some of his collection while his son was sick. Sam Loeb died while my mom had cancer. She got better, but it made me a huge Jeph Loeb apologist.

I don't know if it's 100% true but I think I read it was to cover expenses not covered by their insurance.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Toxxupation posted:

But yeah these issues might be the straight-up densest comics I've ever read. Seriously trying to envision anyone reading this comic monthly and making heads or tails of what's going on.

I never read any of those original stories, and still enjoyed the book enough to earn this avatar. Doogz's annotations just bumped it from very good to great. It is pretty dense, but it's a juicy cut of meat. Even divorced from the plot, the dialogue really sings.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Toxxupation posted:

I'm reading The Black Casebook (because I'm doing a Morrison Batman readthrough) and Golden Age Batman is the craziest loving poo poo ever.

About halfway through I was like "I bet Batman dressed up as 'Wingman' for no good loving reason" and YEP. But I guess weird emotional torture of Robin is worth any amount of impersonation.

My favorite batshit old Batman story is something I read about in a Cracked article about craziest ways superheroes have held onto their secret identities.

This guy has dinner with Batman and Robin and figures out from their gestures that they're high society. He eventually pieces it together that Bruce Wayne is Batman. He visits Wayne Manor to rub it in Bruce's face and Batman walks into the room with a poo poo-eating grin. He asks Batman some specific questions about their dinner and Batman tells him the correct answers until the guy leaves, realizing he was wrong all along.

Dick rightfully asks Bruce about the guy dressed as Batman. Bruce simply found a dude who was blind and deaf, dressed him up as Batman and there you go. The comic just leaves it at that. No explanation of who the guy actually is, where he came from or if he even knows what the hell is going on. He was just wandering around a mansion dressed as Batman while Bruce did ventriloquism to a guy who wouldn't even know to move his mouth.

And it worked!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thoughts:

Final Crisis is too complicated for its own good and felt like it was actively trying to make its readers feel stupid for not getting it.

"Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" is a really, really powerful Batman story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Thoughts:

Final Crisis is too complicated for its own good and felt like it was actively trying to make its readers feel stupid for not getting it.
What didn't you get?

• Locked thread