Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Thoughts:

Final Crisis is too complicated for its own good and felt like it was actively trying to make its readers feel stupid for not getting it.

"Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" is a really, really powerful Batman story.

Jump to Batman 700-702 now (Time and The Batman trade) where Grant hopped back on the title to fill out a bit more of Batman's Final Crisis story and clearly (I think? Been a while) links it to RIP.

e: Unless it spoils the Return stuff? I don't remember.

And yeah. FC really goes for it with the metatextual and Jack Kirby Fourth World, but it got me into reading that stuff, which is a huge plus.
It's also a slight sequel to Seven Soldiers and a slight prequel to Multiversity. Not in any giant way, but they're both primo GMo and contain much more solid stories than FC.
I think Seven Soldiers is his best work.

Did you read FC in trade or issues? There's a two-parter called Superman Beyond, which shows what Superman was up to after Lois got blown up, introduces the multiverse Supermen squad and that final villain (e: who is 100% metatext. Literally representing a corruption of DC storytelling.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually re-reading Final Crisis right now as Prime Bathroom Reading Material, and man, it is just drat fantastic. Superman Beyond is better than I remember in like, every way.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

What didn't you get?

It felt like the storytelling was too all over the place, where it just bounced from setting to setting with no real explanation. It felt overly complicated.

My biggest issues were with what a Mother Box actually, you know, was, who the gently caress Mandrakk was and why he was suddenly the most important villain, and what the exact point of the whole "man is given the gift of fire" sequences were. Was it just to set up the Batman ending or what?

I mean, I liked Final Crisis, don't get me wrong. Like the whole Batman shooting and killing Darkseid bit was powerful and it makes sense that Darkseid would hate music. It just felt...kinda smug about how clever it was, I guess?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jump to Batman 700-702 now (Time and The Batman trade) where Grant hopped back on the title to fill out a bit more of Batman's Final Crisis story and clearly (I think? Been a while) links it to RIP.

Yeah I just read that run, it helped. I'm following this guide.

quote:

Did you read FC in trade or issues? There's a two-parter called Superman Beyond, which shows what Superman was up to after Lois got blown up, introduces the multiverse Supermen squad and that final villain (e: who is 100% metatext. Literally representing a corruption of DC storytelling.)

Issues.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Read Superman Beyond.
https://www.comixology.com/Final-Crisis-Superman-Beyond/comics-series/2324

It may be too late to save things, but it's the most fun load of multiverse nonsense and comic commentary in the event and Doug Mahnke's art is killer.

e: Batman and Robin should be a nice breather if you're a bit exhausted from FC... for a while before it goes all crazy again.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 5, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I gotta dig out those issues this weekend. The 3D effects were a lot of fun. Someone made my favorite avatar from that. Where Superman is holding the ledge while a animated Mandrakk spirals towards nothingness. "I'm in a self assembling hyper story! And it's trying its best to destroy me!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

It felt like the storytelling was too all over the place, where it just bounced from setting to setting with no real explanation. It felt overly complicated.

My biggest issues were with what a Mother Box actually, you know, was, who the gently caress Mandrakk was and why he was suddenly the most important villain, and what the exact point of the whole "man is given the gift of fire" sequences were. Was it just to set up the Batman ending or what?

I mean, I liked Final Crisis, don't get me wrong. Like the whole Batman shooting and killing Darkseid bit was powerful and it makes sense that Darkseid would hate music. It just felt...kinda smug about how clever it was, I guess?

Yeah I just read that run, it helped. I'm following this guide.

Issues.

Have you read the other two major crisis?

PS,
Do not feel bad for not liking FC. I do not like it either and was super pissed when it turned out Superman Beyond and Batman stuff was needed to understand the story and nothing anywhere told you this. Plus everyone always saying it is better with annotations that you have to read outside the story is dumb.

I agree with you though. It does have some good ideas, but is a mess.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 5, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FC doesn't really have much to do with the previous Crisises. Not like Infinite's link to COIE.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

FC doesn't really have much to do with the previous Crisises. Not like Infinite's link to COIE.

This is true but they are the big tent poles of DC. You could also add zero hour, Identity crisis, and flashpoint to that list, but the other two are important.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Barry Allen & Red Skies.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Okay, Barry Allen.

I'd argue COIE is really the only vitally important Crisis event.

e: And even then you could give Man of Steel and Perez's Wonder Woman to someone without having to explain that or why things were different the year before.
Give someone Morrison's N52 Action Comics origin or Azzarello's WW without even mentioning Flashpoint.
And now the Rebirth issue is an important statement for going forward, but from a view in the future, I don't think it'll really be a necessary comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 5, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

And if you read IC you have to follow it up with the stellar 52.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Identity Crisis is important so that you know exactly how bad a Crisis can actually be.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The IC I'm talking about is Infinite Crisis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Identity Crisis is important so that you know exactly how bad a Crisis can actually be.

Zero Hour had the word "Crisis" in the subtitle and it's spectacularly bad!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Zero Hour had the word "Crisis" in the subtitle and it's spectacularly bad!

It's not as bad as Identity Crisis.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Plus everyone always saying it is better with annotations that you have to read outside the story is dumb.

I can understand if people were saying that something was only good with annotations, that's a mark of a bad story, but what's wrong with something being better with annotations? That's what they're for. Like, Through The Looking Glass is great, but Through The Looking Glass with Martin Gardner's annotations alongside is even better.

Edit: Oh wait, or do you mean it's not actually better with annotations in your view?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Idran posted:

I can understand if people were saying that something was only good with annotations, that's a mark of a bad story, but what's wrong with something being better with annotations? That's what they're for. Like, Through The Looking Glass is great, but Through The Looking Glass with Martin Gardner's annotations alongside is even better.

Edit: Oh wait, or do you mean it's not actually better with annotations in your view?

The annotations are dumb because you have to hunt through interviews and forum posts. If it was in some big collected edition that is cool.

I also didn't like FC.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Well, it's not a collected edition, but there's no hunting. They're all on one website.

But yeah if you don't like something then annotations won't really make it better, fair.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

Someone made my favorite avatar from that. Where Superman is holding the ledge while a animated Mandrakk spirals towards nothingness. "I'm in a self assembling hyper story! And it's trying its best to destroy me!"
That was me!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
oh hi double post

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

redbackground posted:

That was me!

Yeah! You rock. I think I'm about done with Grant in his undies. Whoever found that picture and bought it for me is some sort of saint though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Your next av should be the Barbelith.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It's not as bad as Identity Crisis.

It's where Power Girls magic baby came from which makes it every bit as horrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

It's where Power Girls magic baby came from which makes it every bit as horrible.

The words magic baby are a kiss of death

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Unless it spoils the Return stuff? I don't remember.
Nah, it doesn't spoil it. If you're reading it in trades you can go

B&R book 1
Time and the Batman
B&R book 2
Return of Bruce Wayne
B&R book 3

and get everything in a reasonable order.

Time and the Batman also has some of my favourite Batman lines ever, with Bruce's internal monologue about how he can barely keep up with all the crazy poo poo and how the only way he can do anything is to become a part of the story.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I turned 40 today,which of you nerds are older than I?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Reading Battle for the Cowl I'm reminded how much Jason Todd is just the WOOOOOOOOOOORST holy poo poo he's the worst, he's just the loving worst.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read the Wolfman / Perez teen titans run as my first intro to DC outside of Superman and Batman.

It's got some really dark issues. The one with kids running drugs / getting pimped out was gross. I wasn't expecting that from an 80s mainstream comic. Pretty good though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

I turned 40 today,which of you nerds are older than I?

Happy Birthday! You got 3 years on me!

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I just finished reading The Boys after I got it on a Humble Bundle sale, and there are three thoughts:

1) The edgy gross poo poo was horrible.

2) It was pretty funny reading a comic about how horrible collateral damage from superheroes is and how they shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they want just because they have superpowers (among other stuff) after seeing Civil War. (Even though Captain America would have definitely condemned the poo poo superheroes do in The Boys)

3) The last two arcs were amazing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have zoomed through Savage Dragon Archives vol. 1-4 over the last few months (collecting #1-100), and now I'm in the middle of Archives vol. 5 (#101-125). It is inspired and insane, and I'm enjoying the ride more than the majority of Big Two comics I've read in the last decade. But it definitely isn't for everyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Constr posted:

I just finished reading The Boys after I got it on a Humble Bundle sale, and there are three thoughts:

1) The edgy gross poo poo was horrible.

2) It was pretty funny reading a comic about how horrible collateral damage from superheroes is and how they shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they want just because they have superpowers (among other stuff) after seeing Civil War. (Even though Captain America would have definitely condemned the poo poo superheroes do in The Boys)

3) The last two arcs were amazing.

I bought the whole series without reading beyond #6 and I really don't love it. I have all 6 slipcased hardcovers I will probably be selling soon.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Question for you guys:

What's the worst speech bubble placement you've ever seen in comics? Because this is my nomination:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's just an art error. The image was flipped by accident I think.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Reading Battle for the Cowl

I'd stop following that list if I was you.

DO NOT read Bruce Wayne: The Road Home.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 6, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Reading Battle for the Cowl I'm reminded how much Jason Todd is just the WOOOOOOOOOOORST holy poo poo he's the worst, he's just the loving worst.

What lovely list are you using that didn't include Morrison's own comics but had BFTC in there?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I liked Battle For the Cowl. At the very least, it had Dick Grayson beating the unholy poo poo out of Jason Todd, so it's not all bad.

redbackground posted:

What lovely list are you using that didn't include Morrison's own comics but had BFTC included?

This one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

As a flip on that, Toxx, have you gone through Brubaker's Captain America yet? Because the handling of Jason and Bucky is just fascinating in how poorly DC handled theirs and how well Marvel did.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just finished the first book in Garth Ennis's Punisher Run. (Born, In The Beginning, Kitchen Irish)

My only real exposure to Garth Ennis before now was some of his stuff on Hellblazer. I admit that I was on the fence on if I should read it or not because Ennis to me goes hand and hand with 90s edgy storytelling. "Ok, Punisher shoots this guy in the face with a shotgun AND HE'S STILL WALKING" "Oh Bro, that is hosed UP! :350:" Punisher definitely hits you with the grim and the nihilism like truck, but I never read Preacher or The Boys so I have no clue if the truck that hit me was just some crappy pick up or a full sized Mack. I usually have very little patience for what can be considered "Edgy" because that usually means "What's the most shocking think we can show the reader" mainly because it comes off as Middle schooler-ish and it rarely holds up for long. In Punisher MAX it works though. With maybe a few exceptions it never feels gratuitous or stupid.

I really liked Born. It is an origin story that spares the part of the story we know. Frank's family is killed and he spends the rest of his life killing everyone who he think's deserves it. But that's not the focus of the story. Instead we go to Vietnam and show that Frank Castle loves violence. Someone who grew to love warfare and felt the world only made sense when he was putting lead into someone he feels deserves it. His family dying is nothing more than an excuse. The Punisher is what he is because war is all he knows. He is the result of a culture that worships war for war's sake.

gently caress Glaticus, Magneto, Apocalypse, Dr. Doom, Hydra or any over villain or force in the MCU. The Punisher might be the most frightening person in the Marvel Universe.

Kitchen Irish was good as a crime story. Almost to the point where I wish The Punisher wasn't involved. Nesbitt is a great example of a antagonist that you never really see. To the very end, these people allowed this evil old fucker to control them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I would say it's a common opinion that Kitchen Irish is the weakest arc of PMAX. The upcoming Russian/Fury stuff might be my favorite. The whole run is pretty stellar, though.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 6, 2016

• Locked thread