Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You started reading Ennis Punisher and you didn't start with Welcome Back Frank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have zoomed through Savage Dragon Archives vol. 1-4 over the last few months (collecting #1-100), and now I'm in the middle of Archives vol. 5 (#101-125). It is inspired and insane, and I'm enjoying the ride more than the majority of Big Two comics I've read in the last decade. But it definitely isn't for everyone.

Hey, are these like the Marvel Essential black and white phone book collections? And do you mind if I ask how much they run?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

You started reading Ennis Punisher and you didn't start with Welcome Back Frank?

That's not MAX, so it won't be in the MAX tpbs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't start reading PMax with WBF either. They have nothing to do with each other.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigRed0427 posted:

I just finished the first book in Garth Ennis's Punisher Run. (Born, In The Beginning, Kitchen Irish)

He didn't specify the MAX run!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

He didn't specify the MAX run!
Those are all MAX comics! :11tea:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Those are all MAX comics! :11tea:

The first book in Ennis' Punisher run is Welcome Back Frank!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Hey, are these like the Marvel Essential black and white phone book collections? And do you mind if I ask how much they run?

Yeah, they're black and white and about as thick as Marvel Essentials and DC Showcases.

Cover prices are $19.99, but the first few are significantly cheaper on Amazon. However, I haven't been buying them. I got the first two Archives volumes as interlibrary loans, and volumes 3-5 are on Hoopla, my public library's free e-book downloading platform. You should see if your library offers access to Hoopla, as they have a huge selection of DC, Image, Valiant, Dark Horse, Archie, IDW, and more... just not Marvel or Fantagraphics.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The first book in Ennis' Punisher run is Welcome Back Frank!
It's not the first book of the max run, which is what he's reading! :burger:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Redbackground is showing some next-level mastery in his smilies game tonight.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Went to a Mark Waid Q&A panel today and he said he read Captain America #2 and said everyone angry about the end of #1 is going to feel like a complete idiot by page 8.

Though if they're angry it's probably because they didn't read it, so that may not stand.

He also went on a rant about BvS that was fun.

Also saw Peter David yesterday and he was fun to listen to.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I want to know more about the BvS rant. That is exactly the sort of thing I'd want to hear Waid rant about.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Went to a Mark Waid Q&A panel today and he said he read Captain America #2 and said everyone angry about the end of #1 is going to feel like a complete idiot by page 8.

Though if they're angry it's probably because they didn't read it, so that may not stand.

He also went on a rant about BvS that was fun.

Also saw Peter David yesterday and he was fun to listen to.

That is a lovely argument. Pretty much saying sure you are angry about something you read but you are an idiot because of something you haven't read yet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mark Waid acting like a petulant baby? Why I never.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mark Waid sounds like a cool dude, especially considering it was very clear from what we got in 1 that something was up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

Mark Waid sounds like a cool dude, especially considering it was very clear from what we got in 1 that something was up.

I met Waid. He is fun and is always happy to engage people who genuinely love comics. But he also has opinions and he doesn't care about how he phrases them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

That is a lovely argument. Pretty much saying sure you are angry about something you read but you are an idiot because of something you haven't read yet.

No, that's not how tenses work you dummy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Madkal posted:

I met Waid. He is fun and is always happy to engage people who genuinely love comics. But he also has opinions and he doesn't care about how he phrases them.

Yea this is about how everyone who's met him seems to fall out. He's a perfectly happy and nice guy but he seemingly has no thought at all at nice ways to put his views or opinions.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You guys are acting like that's a problem or something instead of it being really entertaining. Because it is very entertaining. I love a good Waid rant.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea this is about how everyone who's met him seems to fall out. He's a perfectly happy and nice guy but he seemingly has no thought at all at nice ways to put his views or opinions.

So he's blunt then. I see absolutely no problems with this. Continuing to believe that Mark Waid is, in fact, a cool dude.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Yeah, with the kind of poo poo we get from other creators who shall remain nameless (because I don't want to spend ten minutes typing out names,) I can't say I've got a problem with the comic book guy ranting about comic books. It probably helps that I agree with Waid more often than not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is the comic book guy in real life.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Does he wear prescription pants?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chaos Hippy posted:

I want to know more about the BvS rant. That is exactly the sort of thing I'd want to hear Waid rant about.
I mean, it's about what you expect from a BvS rant: he said all the characters were wrong, he pointed out that there were scenes that seemed like they were specifically filmed to be in the trailer despite not making sense within the final movie, that he didn't need to see the Waynes die yet again, and so on. He did start it by saying that before he saw it, he had already spent lots of time ranting on MoS, so he at least knew what he was getting into and it was what he expected. He also liked Wonder Woman, so there's that.

I like Mark Waid a lot, honestly, both as a writer and as a person (for as much I only know the persona he shows online and in panels), so I wasn't really trying to be negative about the panel. But yes, as people have said, he is blunt and isn't afraid to burn bridges, but on the other hand, he has no issues with praising something when it's due.

EDIT: Not Waid related, but I got to hold a Captain America shield used in the first movie and now I want a nice metal one for myself, but gently caress they are like $500 at least, and I don't want one *that* bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

EDIT: Not Waid related, but I got to hold a Captain America shield used in the first movie and now I want a nice metal one for myself, but gently caress they are like $500 at least, and I don't want one *that* bad.

There is a full scale copy coming in September for $100.

Currently unavailable but that was just the preorder that sold out.
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Legends-Captain-America-Shield/dp/B01B4NLML2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I remember him getting real reactionary about that Harley Quinn bathtub toaster art contest.
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/statuses/377278282783535104 e: his replies inside.
He had to be told over and over that Palmiotti and Conner were making her a cartoon character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I see no problem with not cutting any slack to the company that, to this day, insists that identity crisis was an important and affecting and powerful comic and reflective of the stories they want to tell. Especially when they go "hey draw a woman most well known for being in one of if not the most horrifyingly abusive relationship in comics history TOTALLY NAKED AND COMMITTING SUICIDE DOGS WOO-HOO!"

I see absolutely zero problem with doing that.

Mark Waid continues to sound like a cool dude.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I liked Battle For the Cowl. At the very least, it had Dick Grayson beating the unholy poo poo out of Jason Todd, so it's not all bad.

This one.
That list is kind of jacked, Batman #682-683 take place between Final Crisis 5 and 6.

Should've just asked us :colbert:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's what the suicide page ended up being.

Very edgy. Fairly comparable to Killing Joke.

e: I know he obviously had no info about the tone of the upcoming series or the creators and just heard a thing and assumed based on what she'd been put in previously. That's fine. But when Gail Simone is telling you she's read it and you're way off base, it's time to relax.
e: And Kurt Busiek.

"It'd be fine with Dini's Harley. She's obviously a cartoon character."
"I've read this. She's a cartoon character."
"That's insider info, Gail. Don't take that tone with me."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 6, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Welcome Back Frank isn't bad but it's filled with dumb, cringeworthy Ennis humor that the Max run has thankfully less of.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I remember him getting real reactionary about that Harley Quinn bathtub toaster art contest.
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/statuses/377278282783535104 e: his replies inside.
He had to be told over and over that Palmiotti and Conner were making her a cartoon character.

Waid is 100% in the right.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Funilly enough, it's Bruce Timm who got her naked in the issue.

...Maybe that's obviously enough.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's what the suicide page ended up being.

I love how boring and static it ended up

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I forgot we had a new thread, so hopefully I haven't missed anything. Anyway, I finally got around to watching Man-Thing and it wasn't that bad.

I mean, I have a huge range for these things because I literally started a club for watching terribly made movies, but overall it was like the best swamp-based horror movie I've ever seen. A full list of gripes would be:
1. Swamp Thing never burns anybody.
2. He kills the only character who doesn't fear him.

and the general gripe that is either your native characters have an intimate association with the land and know more about it than the plundering whites, or they don't. These kind of mystical horrors always like to have their cake by exploiting native myths or involving native seer characters and then oh wow they get themselves killed because they naively think their prayers and rituals do or mean anything to a thing they literally have myths and legends about controlling. It's more insulting than just pretending they don't exist because you're making it an active plot point that their beliefs are bullshit.

On a scale of Anaconda to Howard the Duck it rated a Didn't Develop Alcohol Poisoning From Drinking Every Time Howard Was Creepy Or Made A Duck Pun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is the comic book guy in real life.

Except for the part where he is legitimately, extremely talented and successful in the medium he's criticizing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Except for the part where he is legitimately, extremely talented and successful in the medium he's criticizing

That's true of Comic Book Guy too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I finished Morrison's pre-New 52 Batman run (ending with Batman, Inc volume 1).

I feel like the strongest part of his run was from Batman and Son through The Black Glove and Batman R.I.P. (R.I.P. is, in my opinion, the absolute best bat-story Morrison's ever written), with The Black Casebook for necessary context. Those three stories form a really neat arc, and everything after is...distinctly lesser. Final Crisis is pretty confusing and very, very convoluted, Batman 700-702 were all really fantastic stories but felt like a sort of band-aid posthumously explaining the more opaque elements of Batman's story in Final Crisis, so kind of suffered as a result. Batman and Robin actually was distinctly lighter, so that was nice - and Damian's growth as a Robin is really fun to read. The Return of Bruce Wayne I still don't exactly get as a story, but the payoff for both it and Batman and Robin with the Joker/Thomas Wayne reveals was pretty great. And finally, I think Batman, Incorporated was just kind of a mess from top to bottom, this really confusing and convoluted mess that doesn't really end satisfyingly or feel that significant outside of the Leviathan stuff, which kind of comes out of nowhere as suddenly The Most Important Deal.

Also that cyberspace issue of Batman, Inc was loving trash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

There is a full scale copy coming in September for $100.

Currently unavailable but that was just the preorder that sold out.
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Legends-Captain-America-Shield/dp/B01B4NLML2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It's also plastic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I think Batman, Incorporated was just kind of a mess from top to bottom

Aww. Not even the Japan and Native American team stories?
I remember being a little confused about the Batwoman history stuff and Spyral as the issues were coming out, but Inc vol1 is the height for me.
Yanick Paquette is great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My favorite issue of Batman Inc is where he goes to Japan with Catwoman and lets her steal some incredibly priceless antlantean diamonds because they melt when taken out of the water so she didn't steal anything after all.

Yeah I'm sure the owner of those things is super thrilled you let her melt his priceless artifacts there Batman. It's not stealing if you destroy the thing you stole, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It's also plastic.

So were lots of the ones Evans used in the film!

• Locked thread