Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

shadok posted:

The next two Sox-Jays games would have been Price-Stroman and a Wright-Dickey knuckleballpalooza but the Jays have swapped Dickey and Stroman in the order, which is kind of a shame.

This is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Let the old guys roid up as much as they want and give Sammy all the bat cork he can find.

Can one make a bat entirely out of cork?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

shadok posted:

The next two Sox-Jays games would have been Price-Stroman and a Wright-Dickey knuckleballpalooza but the Jays have swapped Dickey and Stroman in the order, which is kind of a shame.

Are you kidding me?

Hand Knit posted:

This is bullshit.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

When Michael Fulmer got called up, I said he wasn't ready. He didn't really have a changeup, and with only two pitches he struggled getting through the order the third time.

Well, now he has a changeup.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wow the Yankees are hilariously bad and I don't trust their player development to even know what to do with a high draft pick.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

R.D. Mangles posted:

Let the old guys roid up as much as they want and give Sammy all the bat cork he can find.

Brisbee wrote a great article about exactly this last year

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/7/13/8929657/home-run-derby-steroid-era-fun

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

How the gently caress did I not see this last year.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Padres owner Ron Fowler sounds off on the Padres being poo poo
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/06/ron-fowler-padres-embarrassing.html

Well maybe if you didn't hire a moron GM, this team would be less poo poo and at least have some good young players like Trae Turner, Joe Ross, Matt Wisler and Mallex Smith.
It's ok though, Matt Kemp and his .239 OBP can keep batting in the 3 hole for the rest of his contract.

Edit: And the Padres respond by giving up 3 runs in the 1st inning tonight. :lol:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ColdBlooded posted:

Well maybe if you didn't hire a moron GM, this team would be less poo poo and at least have some good young players like Trae Turner, Joe Ross, Matt Wisler and Mallex Smith.
It's ok though, Matt Kemp and his .239 OBP can keep batting in the 3 hole for the rest of his contract.

Edit: And the Padres respond by giving up 3 runs in the 1st inning tonight. :lol:
They did replace some of the talent they lost by getting a bunch of guys from the Red Sox for Kimbrel, but yeah, that Ross/Turner deal for Wil Myers was a disaster

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

ColdBlooded posted:

Well in his defense the Padres had a decade of prospects that were absolute poo poo. Sucks that when they decide to trade them away some are not too shabby.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ice To Meet You posted:

When Michael Fulmer got called up, I said he wasn't ready. He didn't really have a changeup, and with only two pitches he struggled getting through the order the third time.

Well, now he has a changeup.

Michael Fulmer is very cool and I hope he continues to do cool things.

He's the anti-Sanchez.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

shadok posted:

Blue Jays are a bullshit organization for denying us the knuckleballpalooza.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
N: The Jays finally swept somebody. And it was the Yankees.

V: :woop:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants need to trade for an elite bullpen arm. At this point I'm more worried about the bullpen than I am about Peavy/whoever as our fifth starter.

By the numbers Casilla has been a fantastic relief pitcher but he just blew his fourth save in sixteen opportunities this year, which ties him for all of 2014 and nearly matches his 2015. For whatever reason he only ever gives up one run in games the Giants lead by one run, which could just denote horrible luck, but overall he hasn't been as sharp this year as previous (and even then, he had a few struggles).

The rest of our bullpen is fairly mediocre. I wish Casilla was our eighth inning option and we had a more consistent guy closing. Too bad I really don't think we have the pieces to get Miller.

Also Hunter Pence strained his Hamstring and is on the DL, which sucks. Giants always blow in June.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Didn't the Jays move a guy's start and rob us of knucklefest earlier in the year too?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The game's barely over and the Red Sox have shipped Joe Kelly back down to AAA, lol

Oh lord he was garbage tonight :gonk:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Late on this, but I'd like to publicly apologize for every mean thing I've ever said about Matt Albers.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DannoMack posted:

Didn't the Jays move a guy's start and rob us of knucklefest earlier in the year too?

Nah, that was a product of the Sox having their first two games rained.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey Mets, thanks for Fulmer. Hope you're enjoying Yo.

Love,
The Tigers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

VJeff posted:

Love,
The Tigers

He played a major part in getting them to the World Series last year and is in strong contention for MVPNNCK this year so I'd say they are probably enjoying him yeah

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

VJeff posted:

Love,
The Tigers

Um...? Yo actually rules and basically got us to the WS last year and is having a pretty steady/not bad season so far?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
He's OPS+ing 153, I'd say that's a lot better than "pretty steady/not bad".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Matt Albers is a national treasure.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest he was being serious as it was a trade that seems to have worked out well for both teams?

j/k lol gently caress the mets losers dumb trade noobs

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
White Sox Legend Matt Albers kind of rules now

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Xenophon posted:

White Sox Legend Matt Albers kind of rules now

Depending on the length of Ryan Webb's DL stint, he has a chance to catch up to him in the ever important games finished without a save record race.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-ryan-webb-matt-albers-games-finished-no-saves-record/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Patrick Spens posted:

N: The Jays finally swept somebody. And it was the Yankees.

V: :woop:

A: 247/.275/.468, 107 wRC+

B: 232/.300/.374, 83 wRC+

One of those lines is Madison Bumgarner's from 2015. The other is the entire Yankees team for 2016 so far. Guess which is which.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

A: 247/.275/.468, 107 wRC+

B: 232/.300/.374, 83 wRC+

One of those lines is Madison Bumgarner's from 2015. The other is the entire Yankees team for 2016 so far. Guess which is which.

So you're saying the Yankees should go up to the plate and just try to hit a home run every time?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ice To Meet You posted:

So you're saying the Yankees should go up to the plate and just try to hit a home run every time?

Well that would entail getting the ball out of the infield so yes.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The Giants hit back to back to back 2 run dingers, lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It takes the lol out of it since he's shelved but Giants pitchers now have more dingers than Panda since he went to Boston.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just thinking ahead here, who are likely to be the big name available starters as we get nearer to the trade deadline?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just thinking ahead here, who are likely to be the big name available starters as we get nearer to the trade deadline?

There's already been some rumbling about James Shields, who was pitching fairly well until he gave up ten runs on Tuesday

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Somehow I feel like the Padres' executive chairman calling James Shields "an embarrassment" and complaining about his guaranteed contract isn't going to help his trade value

Still a better pitcher than Shelby Miller though, so he is worth exactly one farm system.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Poque posted:

Somehow I feel like the Padres' executive chairman calling James Shields "an embarrassment" and complaining about his guaranteed contract isn't going to help his trade value

Was that a thing that actually happened? Holy poo poo, the Padres find new ways to keep doing dumb things.

:laffo:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Rich Hill

Seriously

e: I'd expect Teheran to go too. Otherwise it's looking like a thin-rear end market for typical deadline pitchers

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 2, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Was that a thing that actually happened? Holy poo poo, the Padres find new ways to keep doing dumb things.

http://deadspin.com/padres-chairman-shits-all-over-his-own-players-1780070315

quote:

“To have a starter like (James) Shields perform as poorly as he did yesterday is an embarrassment to the team, an embarrassment to him,” Fowler said.

“It’s about as frustrating as it can get. In a normal environment, if you had performed as well as we have over the last three years, you’d probably be unemployed. But it’s baseball, with guaranteed contracts. We’ve got to get through it.”

It's EXTREMELY stupid but at least now we know why AJ Preller still has a job

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ambassador of Funk posted:

yeah it's pretty bad

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/san-diego-padres-exec-calls-team-miserable-failures-06011

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
That'll work out well for player relations and FAs potentially going to SD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Poque posted:

http://deadspin.com/padres-chairman-shits-all-over-his-own-players-1780070315

It's EXTREMELY stupid but at least now we know why AJ Preller still has a job

My mind is breaking trying to comprehend how someone could be so incredibly stupid and self-destructive. :pwn:

• Locked thread