Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

quote:

Excerpt from “Of the Foul and Barbarian People” by Yiridhren of the Ever-Bright Dawn arcanium:

As much as we Disagree on several important Issues with our neighbors the Silver Clan Council and the Republic of Cruxwell, or even our own Cousins, the Oak-Children, it is Clear that they are still deserving of the Name of Civilized Peoples: they have their own Government, their own Coin and their own Laws; they have a Body of Literary Canon extensively reviewed and commonly accepted; they live, in short, in a Civilized, Respectable manner.

Even this Damning Amount of Faint Praise cannot be given to the Peoples commonly known as the Savage Races, or Savages, these Vile Creature are little more than Beasts; they live in Huts, when not in Caves; their Writing is little more than Confused Scribbles of no Appreciable Meaning: they lack the Industry of Dwarves, or our own High Magic, or even the Low Cunning that has made Humans so successful.
The Lack of such Basic Assets has left them unable to Ascend to the Lofty Heights of us Civilized folk; they do not live in our Rich Mountains or our Bountiful Forests, but in the Badlands, places so devoid of Utility or Beauty, or considered so Dangerous, that our Exalted Summer Queen, in her infinite Wisdom, has never seen fit to Conquer or Care About; as in all things, our Shorter-Lived neighbors have followed her example.
It is the Purpose of this Tome to Inform the Reader of the Truculent Attitudes and Customs of the Savages, so that the Reader may Expand their Worldy Knowledge and Be Amused at their Primitive Antics.

Goblins are the Most Commonplace of the Savage Folk, a Consequence of their Incessant Breeding. They are Craven and Untrustworthy, only Fighting when there is No Other Choice, and have Little Regard for each other’s Lives.

Ogres are Immense Brutes, of Mighty Strength but Slow of Wit and Reaction. These Molochs are so Passives, their Ancients have Moss and Small Plants growing on Them. They are often Found in Muddy, Humid Places.

Gnolls are Savage Beast-Men, Grizzled and Feral. Because they are Carnivorous, they are Forced into an Existance of Constant Hunting, and are Known for practicing Cannibalism.

Trogs are Foul Abominations that Slithered out from the Depths of the Earth. They are Naturally Blind, but Their Other Senses are Sharpened, probably as a Boon from the Strange Gods they Worship.

The Crowfolk, or Tengus as they are Called in their own Tongue, are an Irritating and Bothersome Species; they Share the Features and Body Structure of Birds, and have Peculiar Customs that Touch on All of their Daily Lives.

Welcome to the Fantasy Civilization CYOA! As you may have gathered from the title, the objective of this game is to take a small village of humanoids that are considered monsters and savages by the powers of the continent, and guide them from their native territories, scarce of resources and value, towards a grander destiny than the one seemingly in store for them, and prove those pretentious so-called Civilized people wrong.

For starters, please cast two votes for which races will populate our little village. The two most popular races will be chosen, with the winner being the majority and the runner up the minority, with some adjustements for scale. A minority of goblins will be more numerous than a majority of orgres, but there will be enough ogres their presence is felt the most.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Reserved for future use.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Goblins and Tengu: Let's build ourselves a caste based theocracy.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Gnolls and Tengu because it seems like they'd get along awesomely due to not competing for the same resources but benefiting from cooperation. Like ravens and wolves!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

helpful links from chat :D :

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Trog/gnolls come out of the caves and swamps of night for cunning ambushes

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tengus and Kender

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

Tengus and Kender

Immediately eat the kender.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Tengus and goblins

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Tengu are a given and let's say Gnoll for hungry pups.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I really hope Tengu win this, but I'll vote for Ogres.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Gnolls and Goblins

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tengus and Ogres

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Trogs and Tengus.

One group for aboveground, one for belowground, each working together to forge a greater destiny.

(alternately: "Hey we found shinies underground and crows like shinies but we don't care about how shiny they are 'cause we can't see so we'll trade 'em to you for things wot smell neat")

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Voting Tengu and Trogs.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Gnolls and Tengu.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Tengus and onis I mean Ogres

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Trogs and Tengus

One shall command the air, the other shall command the earth. None shall stand in their way!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Goblin & Tengus

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tengus and Trogs!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Tengus win by a landslilde, but we have a tie between Trogs and Gnolls. Which means you get TWO minorities! What an example of mulitculturalism. Writing now.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 2, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Trogs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

...alright, here is what we'll do, because you posted this before I got the idea of two minorities and edited my last post, hoping no one would notice. Trogs will be more numerous than Gnolls.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I AM THE DECIDER

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Birds of a Feather: the way of the Tengu

-Beyond basic survivability, the greatest perk that potential home can have, in the eyes of a murder of tengus, is an approachable spiritual neighborhood. Every tengu can speak with kami, beings invisible to most that are the spiritual manifestation of places and concepts. Learned tengus can investigate local kamis to understand what interests them, and can broker with them for blessings in exchange for sacrifices and offerings, or respecting certain taboos. Majority bonus: Your village starts off with an understanding with the local kami court. As long as you mantain some minor sacrifices in their name, you will be forewarned of any menace approaching your village that can be detected by kami eyes, plus some other blessing depending on your starting location.

-A village with tengus starts off with access to rice and bamboo, a reliable source of food in humid weather and a lightweight material capable of sustaining their weight, that they use to build houses and palisades.

Whisper from the Depths: the way of the Trog

-The trogs that joined your initial flock brought with them knowledge of the Deep Powers, which they claim are far older than the gods of the surface. Wheter they are just very powerful kami or a completely different type of entity is a subject of hot debate between tengu and trog sages.Sizeable Minority bonus: Nevertheless, you will start with an Underground Shrine to these Powers, dug by the trogs. You may assign workforce to performing rituals here to get the attention of the Powers and receive the eldritch knowledge they posses.

-A village with trogs start off with a moat and knowledge of stoneworking, since they are natural diggers, and can build a mushroom farm, which produces a low amount of food almost costantly.

Laughter through the Woods: the way of the Gnoll.

-Gnolls are carnivorous, and the lack of agriculture has taught them not to waste anything, since you never know if your next hunt will be succesful; which means that yes, they are cannibals. Feeding on a sapient being, however, provides insight in the Far River, that the dead cross upon death, according to gnoll folklore. However, they are such a small minority in your village that more insight is required before any particular benefit can be gained by this fact.

-A village with gnolls starts off with knowledge of animal training and husbandry, and a pen containing a location-appropriate animal, that both sates the gnolls' need for meat and provides some other material obtained from this animal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ever growing hunger and greed of the Civilized races has caused them to expand into any place of with resources for them to exploit. The only locations where your village could grow and develop undisturbed are the ones where nothing of apparent value can be found, often in places already squeezed dry of anything of value.

Vote a single location to get us started.

Strip Mined Mountain: The Silver Clan Council of the dwarves has depleted many a mountain of metals and gemstones, leaving piles of gravel and stone not worth the effort of dragging back to their underground halls. You have settled right next to an example of their handiwork, not far from the Sea of Sands to the east. The temperature isn't quite as boiling hot as that accursed desert, and between the rain season and the underground rivers your rice fields should be able to just barely work, assuming you aren't hit with too many sand or dust stroms. You are dangerously close to the Council's land, and although there is nothing of interest to them anymore here, the local governor will harass you once he discovers your presence here.
Tengu Kami Patron: The Prince of Destruction. Having recently dethroned Grandfather Mountain as leader of the kami court, this young, turbulent being will make sure there is plenty of death when you go to war (he will not guarantee you that it only happens on the other side unless more greatly mollified) in exchange for the destruction of the sculpture of a mountain once a year.
Gnoll Tamed Animal: Minor Komodo Drake. These medium-sized lizard taste delicious when roasted over a fire, and can provide hide for clothes and (very) light armor.

Polluted Swamps: the garbage, both magical and mundane, produced by many of the cities in the Paerfet Elven Empire is discarded into Faenel river and ends up here, where it mutates the local fauna horribly. These swamps extend for miles, and you are deep enough in them not to be disturbed by Empire troops. On the other hand, this place is rife with maladies and pestilences, and mutants of all shape and sizes haunt it. Your rice should really prosper here if you manage to avoid it being mutated in a dangerous way, and your sages ponder if any use could be found for the mysterious flora and fauna found here.
Tengu Kami Patron: the Chimera. This long-suffering, hybrid creature will grant you some resistance to the poisons of the swamp, in exchange for the sacrifice of three different animals once every two seasons.
Gnoll Tamed Animal: Melting crab. These things that were once simple crustaceans have shells big enough to provide unweildy but decent armor, although building one requires a lot of work.

Sun-Bleached Savannah: Far to the south of the Republic, this place is far too dry to accomodate rice, meaning that you will have to survive on berries and hunting until you can find a proper substitute or find a watering hole humid enough to at least try. Your gnolls assure you that this place must be rich in animal life, which means that hunting could provide with easy food... or might end in disaster as you meet predators you are not yet familiar with. You occasionally receive reports of human scouts, which might imply that the Republic has plans for this place.
Temu Kami Patron: Grandmother Rhino. This towering patron of all big herbivores promises you that she will provide you with seeds that can grow in this weather somewhat reliably, if you in vow not to eat any animal larger than a lion. Your gnolls clack their jaws in frustration at that, but will obey if there is the need for it.
Gnoll Tamed Animal: Zebra. Everyone loves zebras, their hides are beautiful and they can be ridden!

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 2, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

SWAMP

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Strip Mined Mountain

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I say Strip Mined Mountain, if not for anything else then for defensive value. Our tengus can fly, at least for a bit, and such is a huge advantage in steep terrain that is hard for land-dwellers to scale and that offers no trees or other protection from airborne threats. Also, stone for our trogs to make fancy buildings out of!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I added description for the tengu kami patrons and gnoll tamed animals that I forgot to post the first time around.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Strip Mined Mountain

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Strip Mined Mountain

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
The Polluted Swamps

I like the patron kami of this location more than the others. Also, dealing with mutated wildlife sounds pretty cool. We also might find something useful in the trash.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Feels like Trogs would have trouble finding any underground to feel comfortable in in the Swamp. I'll let the others decide, though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Strip Mined Mountain

I have the wonderful idea that we may well be able to lsiten to the Kami and influence him to be more like the Wind.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Strip Mountain
- Deep enough for the Trog temple. Closer to the voice.
- Mountain layered rice field
- Sectioned layout allows tengus to hops from level to level

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Megazver posted:

Feels like Trogs would have trouble finding any underground to feel comfortable in in the Swamp. I'll let the others decide, though.

just dont mine the aquifers, we'll be fine :iit:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Nyaa posted:

Strip Mountain

Sounds good to me

+1 To This

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nyaa posted:

Strip Mountain

This.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Strip Mined Mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Polluted Swamp

• Locked thread