Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Okay just because I voted for swamp doesn't mean the pollution is gonna be easy to clean up. The most advanced remediation techniques we have in the modern world are more or less "put some dirt on top and post warning signs around the perimeter," so uh, yeah.

At least there's plenty of resources, potentially including cool swords.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron

Between the peat and the iron, I bet you we could get a decent industry going.

It is also a well known fact that swamps have the best creatures

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mhof/serious-black-necromantic-hall-fame

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

LowellDND posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron

Between the peat and the iron, I bet you we could get a decent industry going.

It is also a well known fact that swamps have the best creatures

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mhof/serious-black-necromantic-hall-fame

Bog iron is actually really lovely, though? Way better to just pluck premade swords out of the mire.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Would you trust a swamp sword? That poo poo is so gonna be cursed.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Theantero posted:

We could gloriously soar over Mountains, with fresh air in our lungs, looking over the lands from our mighty Mountaintop Castle.

Or we could be choking on fetid swamp gas whilst being eaten alive by mutant mosquitoes in our crappy wood huts.

Seriously guys swamps are terrible. Say no to swamps.

excellent point, however:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Hey Paradox, can we get any actual, official, GM sacntioned info on these resource availability questions? They seem to be the biggest point of contention. Where do we have the easiest access to construction materials, metal ores, that sort of thing?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Hey Paradox can we just live in the loving Swamp already

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
But you already do, irl.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Stupid mine:
Barbed Tongues
Theatero
JosephWongKS
dog kisser
5 Josef
Nyaa
TheNabster
Megazyver
AnAnonymousIdiot
10 chemifox
divine coffee binge
randallodim
ron roenicke
nasty toes
15 greyhunter
sormus the traitor

Awesome swamp:
Loel
Obsci
red plastic cup
serspook
5 shogeton
ibntumart
tran
nothing to see here
ralith
10 abyssal squid
xiphopagus
hexen
waci
zahrkon
15 skellybones
sormus

boring savannah:
shootaboy
random paul

swamp wins :colbert: if we ignore traitors

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 3, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Theantero posted:

Hey Paradox, can we get any actual, official, GM sacntioned info on these resource availability questions? They seem to be the biggest point of contention. Where do we have the easiest access to construction materials, metal ores, that sort of thing?

Sure, why noy. Generally speaking, if anyone has questions they should feel free to ask, I want you guys to make informed decisions.

The strip mined mountain is essentially a huge hole in the ground, and said ground is made of low-quality rock, of the kind that you can dig into to make house or mine out to make objects, and you suspect it could sustain an actual house if you decided to go that way. As mentioned, the shade and rain season mean that rice fields are a possibility, which is something that should not be underestimated: a stable source of food means that your population will have an easier time managing and increasing your population. The optimal places are however limited, and while it will help you get an head start you will need alternatives at one point or another.
It is not connected to the halls of the dwarves, as some people implied, the metals that used to be here where shipped to said halls, and the road, while not really mantained, is still there.

The swamp is an high risk-high reward area, from a resource standpoint. A place so abundant in flora and fauna means that there have to be materials that you can use, but the discharge from factories and laboratories both magical and mundane has altered so much that it's going to take some measure of experimentation, and in the meantime you will need to survive the plagues that infest this place, to say nothing of the beasts that make it their home. If you do manage to catalogue uses for the herbs and plants in there, you could become great apothecaries and herbalists, and if you were to find a way to hunt the beasts of this place, who's to say what use could be found for their venom glands or unbreakable bones? There is virtually unlimited room to expand your rice fields, but that some water pools and patches of soil might be altered by something or other, and there's no telling what that could happen if they are.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
'High-risk' with goons in charge does not sound like a winning move :v:

Also, Swamp kinda shoehorns us into growing Fantasy Weed or whatever to take any advantage of its good qualities, whilst Mountain allows us more freedom to do whatever cool things we want.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Rice + Mushroom Farms + Defense vs. Exotic Materials?

Sticking with my Mountain vote.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

Also, Swamp kinda shoehorns us into growing Fantasy Weed or whatever to take any advantage of its good qualities, whilst Mountain allows us more freedom to do whatever cool things we want.

"More Freedom" = There's nothing around to use so we can use whatever we can get our hands on!

We get alot more rice in the swamp, our kami guides stop the worst of the poisons, and we have alot of potential to find stuff that will be of use. As opposed to a bare mountain which is slightly harder for the armies of men to attack if they decide to destroy use and contains nothing of value.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 3, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Can we pray to the deep power to make a swamp biome in one of the chasm in the mountain?

Short answer: yes, but they probably won't.
Long-ish answer: The Deep Powers are like the earth they reside in: mysterious, slow and inexorable. They hold power over some parts of the sort of life one could find in a swamp (fungi and bugs, for example) but they prefer to act indirectly if they can. That being said, they could be convinced by sufficiently pious worshippers that such a dire change is necessary, but they have a far less merchantile attitude than kamis. They consider any blessing or knowledge they may impart as a gift toward a faithful vassal, with all that that implies.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Ok guys, let pray for a swamp in a large mountain room later and import the flora and animal for breeding. Max Resources.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

You can't import Shambling Abominations, what the dickens man. If you're gonna vote for mountain you gotta accept that it's a vote for being largely resource-starved, except for rock. :goleft:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

You can't import Shambling Abominations, what the dickens man. If you're gonna vote for mountain you gotta accept that it's a vote for being largely resource-starved, except for rock. :goleft:

With enough Shoggoths, anything is possible

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You can't stop the imigration even with a stone wall, Mr. Trump.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Voting is closed, I will count the votes and give you a post tomorrow.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

boooo. boooo. sormus traitored Team Swamp.

edit: first question. can we flood the mine.

edit2: good links
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenochtitlan
http://www.atitlan.net/maya/mayan-civilization.htm
http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incan_agriculture
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5928085/10-civilizations-that-disappeared-under-mysterious-circumstances

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 3, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Theantero posted:

I was going to go with the Savannah, but Mountain sounds fun.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

I was going to go with the Savannah, but Mountain sounds fun.

I appreciate the sentiment, but voting is already closed (we won anyway though so it's all good :v:)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We could rehabilitate the desert nearby to become savannah. :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Nyaa posted:

We could rehabilitate the desert nearby to become savannah. :v:

We could flood the mines and make a swamp :colbert:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

LowellDND posted:

We could flood the mines and make a swamp :colbert:
Exactly! That's why the mine is the way to go! :v:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I suggest that, due to the closeness of the vote, we move to the mines to discover that several tunnels are already flooded and swampy. That way we can all get what we wanted. Except for the Savannah people, but they lost by a lot, so screw 'em, they're like the Green party of this CYOA.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly I just wanted the mutating effects of the swamp, let's have undiscovered pockets of radioactive elements in abandoned mines

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

SerSpook posted:

Honestly I just wanted the mutating effects of the swamp, let's have undiscovered pockets of radioactive elements in abandoned mines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor yes

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

SerSpook posted:

Send a few dudes to camp in the swamp for a few weeks then.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

A charming little mountain village
Some tengus, who consider themselves incredibly clever, have taken at calling your village like that. It probably needs a proper name, though. Propose and vote for a name for the village!

The enormous hole in the ground that constitues this old mine is divided into ever-shrinking ring that grow smaller the deeper one goes. The top ring is made out of earth, and tengus and gnolls settled there, where their rice and lizards can both grow in easily; they built little houses of bamboo for themselves, that while not really robust shield them from the elements. Trogs prefer to sleep on the hard rock of the second ring, where they dig shallow holes and build a terrace over them to make their abodes. They dug out their shrine in the soil of the first level, after assuring repeatedly the other two races that it would not cause anything to collapse.

Year 1, spring
It is rice planting season. You keep the soil costantly wet by using wells located a while northways from the mine. Your fields are in the first ring of the mine, because the idea of having your food out in the open where any passing scout might see it makes your people uncomfortable.

Your food reserves are passable: between the two expected harvests, one at the beginning of summer and one at the end of autumn, and the butchering of the eldest komodo drakes, you should have just barely enough food to last you through the winter. If any accidents happen, however, you might need to butcher breeding lizard pairs, which could damage your herd in the long run. You have no way to preserve meat from spoliage, but uncooked rice can resist a while before rotting.

Resources: rice, bamboo, rock, komodo drakes. The gnolls appreciate bone jewelry made from the latter; everyone else just uses their skins to insulate roofs and make clothing.

You have 2 Workforce points in this season, because you need to plant the rice. These represent your surplus population that doesn't need to be employed in tasks necessary for the survival of the village, which means they can be employed in side projects to expand and improve your civilization. This amount will grow with your population, but you can improve it more by allowing field work to become more efficient, or , which will allow you to tackle

Cast two votes for what you want to employ them on. Voting expires after 24 hours from the time of this post.

Here are some options on what you could employ these for:
A) Explore! If you vote for this you should also pick a direction. To the north you can sort of see another stripped mine, slightly smaller than yours. To the east there is the Sea of Sands, hot and unwelcoming. To the west, the lands of the Conclave, much richer than your but that need to be explored with prudence. To the south, grassland at the edge of their territory, with a green mass on the horizon which might be a forest. All of this might be of use to you.
B) Expand your rice fields. More food means growth being able to sustain more people, or building a buffer should something happen. This option includes planting crops in these newly-tilled fields, meaning that you will be able to reap an harvest from them this very year.
C)Greatly expand your rice fields. If you forsake planting and focus on tilling soil, you will have much more land available for the planting later, but you will only be able to get a single harvest out if it this year. Working this much soil will also slightly reduce your Workforce until your population of young field-working adults catches up.
D) Build a mushroom farm. Rice is all well and good, but variety is the spice of life, and trogs miss their traditional mushroom-based cuisine. Generally speaking, different kinds of food improve mood and quality of life; a mushroom farm doesn't require much tending, needing mostly organic waste to prosper. It usually has two harvests, one in spring and one in autumn, but you are likely to miss the first one as it needs some time to develop-
E) Start working on the statue for the tribute to the Prince of Destruction. He requires the destruction of a statue representing Grandfather Mountain before the year is over. You will need one action to produce the statue, and another to enact the ritual.
F) Visit the Kami Court. The Prince holds court at the very bottom of the mine; visiting him will allow you to negotiate different agreements with him and the other kamis inhabiting this land.
G) Pray to the Deep Powers. The trogs explain that asking for something right away from the Powers would be useless at best and dangerous at worst: on the other hand, it is not their custom to let the sort of chanting and ritualistic dances that consume one whole Workforce point to go unrewarded, and it might be a start in getting into their good graces.
H) Write-in Would you rather do something else? Say so! If you convince your fellow posters to vote for your idea it will be put into practice!

To recap:1 vote for village name and 2 for workforce assignment. If you have any questions do not be afraid to ask! I want you guys making informed decisions.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 4, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I am bound by my TENGU HONOURRRR to try and make progress towards a strip bar for our strip mine. A bar needs booze. Our tengus can hopefully make sake from rice.

B and C are the votes for more rice thus more booze.

Vote B and C to help our poor forsaken folk get shitfaced and forget their dreary outcast existence.

As for a name, how about Tengri-La?

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 4, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Note: I forgot to mention that komodo drakes are not, in fact, venomous. They are just goat-sized lizard.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

D F

Also introducing new dish from the glorious youkai homeland of Tengu: Rice Cooked in Bamboo Tubes.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Village of Tengri-la

B Expand the rice fields and H Write-In: Start making some equipment

I think we should look into exploring the forest for lumber and to see what other resources are there. The bamboo is good for making light structures, and perhaps spears and arrows, but It would be nice if we had some proper lumber for structural beams.

Thinking about maybe making bows and arrows out of the bamboo and leather. Fletching isn't necessary but would improve the arrows, might be tricky to get tengu to donate them.
Obviously we could just made leather slings and plain spears. Its not like we're all out of rocks.

Making a Smoking & Drying racks with the bamboo could be important eventually

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
A- South, B

For names, since Tengu draw their inspiration from Japan I messed around with this for a while and came up with Horonobe which sounds good to me.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B,D More food leads to more population: More population is good because it means we can do more things.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

B and D. We must feed our people!

edit: I also like the name Shithole.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 4, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
B and D sounds good to me

Also I elect to name our lovely little home the Shithole

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

BD

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

D - (Mushrooms) An alternate food source than rice, in case of upper drought or crop failure - we have a backup that isn't the Drakes.
E - (Statue) If we are attacked, it needs to be a painful lesson for whoever it is. Better effect if it's the first time we are hit so as to prevent re-occurrence quickly.

Name Vote: Mount Tengri-La

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I figure once the food is expanded a bit, we can start hitting up the EFG dark powers (turn 2 EE, turn 3 FG or someting)

• Locked thread