Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Hi everyone. This here is the Portugal thread. And that’s Portugal, in that map over there! What’s Portugal? Well, it’s a country, for one thing. Haha. Here, let me tell you a little bit more about Portugal:

Portugal, oficialmente República Portuguesa,[9] [nota 9] é um país soberano[nota 10] unitário localizado no Sudoeste da Europa, cujo território se situa na zona ocidental da Península Ibérica e em arquipélagos no Atlântico Norte. O território português tem uma área total de 92 090 km²,[10] sendo delimitado a norte e leste por Espanha e a sul e oeste pelo oceano Atlântico, compreendendo uma parte continental e duasregiões autónomas: os arquipélagos dos Açores e da Madeira. Portugal é a nação mais a ocidente do continente europeu. O nome do país provém da sua segunda maior cidade, Porto, cujo nome latino-celtaera Portus Cale.[11] [12]

Wasn’t that fun? Learning about new places is always fun. And you’ve probably never heard of Portugal, so better read up. This isn’t a geography thread, though. It’s a soccer one. And if there’s one thing you gotta know about Portuguese soccer, it’s this:

We never win! But that’s ok, since soccer is all about having fun with the ball and with your friends and just having a good time with some beers and with girls.

But to lose while still having fun, you can’t just throw a bunch of guys into the field. No. No loving way. You need what we in the know call A Formation:

That’s a 4-3-3. Hah, don’t get confused by all those numbers. All it means is Portugal will play with 1 (one) goalkeeper, 4 (four) defenders, 3 (three) midfielders, and 3 (three) forwards. Crazy poo poo, right? Who would have ever thought Portugal would play with the same formation they’ve been playing with for the last 50 years? Nobody, that’s who. That’s what this thread is here for.

“But MBM, what if those players don’t play, and some other players play?” Relax, bitch. I’ve got it covered. Here’s another team I wouldn’t be surprised to see us using:

That good enough for you? Of course not. How about this then:

    Rui Patrício
Cedric – Bruno Alves - Pepe - Eliseu
  Moutinho-Danilo
     André Gomes
 Nani - Éder - Ronaldo

That's the beauty of soccer. Playing with names and numbers in a computer program and pretending it's the real thing!

Wow, what a fun thread. All this stuff nobody knows about, since we only have these international tournaments pretty much every year. Now let me tell you about some of the Portuguese players, since you probably don’t know most of the poo poo cloggers on the team.

That’s Rui Patricio, probably the best goalkeeper in the Portuguese league.
Oh, and over there's Adrien. Could he steal way Moutinho's central midfield position?
And that’s Eliseu, one of the least consensual players in the squad but who’ll probably be our starting left-back with Fabio Coentrão injured.
And also over h--

Who am I kidding? Nobody reads these loving threads, and we all know all this poo poo already.

Besides, we all know you’re here for only one reason.

Or maybe a couple of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNU3aIJs88g

THAT SMILE!!!

THOSE TRAPS!!!!!

THAT NECK!!!!!

THOSE ABS!!!!!

THAT rear end!!!!!!!!

THAT COCK!!!!!

THOSE FRIENDS!!!!

THOSE RIVALS!!!!

THAT BLING!!!!!!!

THOSE BABES!!!!!

THOSE GOALS!!!!!

THOSE BALLON D'ORS!!!!!!!

2008 -

2013 -

2014 -

2016 (?) -

THE MAN HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a tenuous season in which he carried the White boys to the Champions League title once again, only injuries, the Devil, bad teammates and corrupt referees can keep Ronaldo away from glory. What do you think Cristiano, can you win the Euros for your beloved home country?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Szn33OgiMA

God bless.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
alright here’s some other guys

Rui Patrício (Sporting): has been Portugal’s starting goalkeeper for a while now. The best goalkeeper playing in the Portuguese league
Eduardo (Zagreb): old and poo poo
Anthony Lopes (Lyon): young and might be good, I dunno I don’t watch the French league obviously

Pepe (Real Madrid): everybody loves Pepe! The most pleasant, fun-loving guy you’ll find in France this summer
Bruno Alves (Fenerbahce): old and probably poo poo I dunno I don’t watch the Turkish league obviously
Ricardo Carvalho (Monaco): haha, this guy still around? gently caress off already
José Fonte (Southampton): probably really good since he plays in the best and most competitive league, the BPL, instead of fail poo poo leagues like the german one

Eliseu (Benfica): he’s poo poo also a Benfica player which makes him worse than Hitler
Raphael Guerreiro (Lorient): young kid with lots of potential, would rather he start than Eliseu tbh
Cedric Soares (Southampton): he’s solid
Vieirinha (Wolfsburg): he’s ok

William Carvalho (Sporting): really good DM
Danilo Pereira (Porto): really good DM, will probably start
Renato Sanches (Benfica): revelation of the year in Portugal earned him a move to Bayern for 35 mil at 19 years old. A lot of potential, but very overrated

João Moutinho (Moutinho): everyone knows Moutinho. didn’t have a great season
Adrien (Sporting): so maybe Adrien, one of the best midfielders in the Portuguese league in the past few seasons, can take his place?
André Gomes (Valencia): good attacking midfielder, will probably start
João Mário (Sporting): one of the best players of the season in Portugal. very good attacking midfielder, might start on the wings

Nani (Fenerbahce): everybody knows Nani
Quaresma[ (Besiktas): and everybody knows Quaresma. they’re the same loving wingers we’ve been playing for the past 10 years
Rafa (Braga): the best player in the Portuguese league not playing for one of the Big Three. he’s really good but still a bit green

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid): hell,
Eder (Braga): he’s poo poo and the only striker in the team. good times
You (TRP): You, the fan, the 12th man

This is now a safe-space thread for all fans of Ronaldo and buddies. Haters gently caress off

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 2, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
PORRA!

that's the only portuguese insult I know

teach us more OP spice this thread up

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
It's absolutely shocking to me that Portugal can't come up with a better striker than Eder. Hee loving garbage.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

iHala portugal!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

portugal only knows how to produce flashy wingers, solid midfielders, and oval office defenders

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

portugal only knows how to produce flashy wingers, solid midfielders, and oval office defenders

And that would be enough, if loving Greece didn't exist.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hell, that almost looks like a good team except for the bad players.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I believe it's Ballons D'or, OP.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

El Hefe posted:

PORRA!

that's the only portuguese insult I know

teach us more OP spice this thread up

quote:

This is now a safe-space thread for all fans of Ronaldo and buddies. Haters gently caress off

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks for a very funny - tenuous, even - OP.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
thank you BR, i hope all 15 TRP regulars enjoy it. i am looking forward to your albania thread. (also i meant tiring haha guess im pretty tired myself)

quote:

Hell, that almost looks like a good team except for the bad players.

i think we can put up a pretty good XI and still leave some good midfielders on the bench, but yeah our defense is pretty bad and our striker is poo poo and we only have like 4 real attacking players, so if one of them gets injured or is out of form we have no other options. at least we aren't as bad as holland haha

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The only striker is loving Eder? Ugh

Did Postiga finally fall off a cliff?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

also

quote:

lol

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
He'll never admit it but MBM loves us Barca fans.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

DOOP posted:

The only striker is loving Eder? Ugh

How are there two terrible strikers named Eder in this tournament

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Lol awesome OP

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
OP how do you pronounce owls boss Carvalhal? On the TV they say Carver-hal but I know that can't be right. Any ideas?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

While Portugal's complete lack of good strikers since Pauleta left has taken up most headlines and discussion of the future of the team a problem has been brewing at the back, when this Euro is up and save up straight up winning the whole thing or going out in style, good folk should wonder why three of our central defenders are closer to 35 years than 30, and why a 200 year old is still getting calls to a major tournament. Fernando Santos couldn't even hide this by calling some young sap who would just collect dust on the bench.

Pepe is a cool guy, but Alves is well past it, I don't think Fonte is actually fit to play, and lol Carvalho.

Too bad the defence is looking like a disaster in the making, cause this midfield might be the most promising one since 2004-06 when it had the Deco-Maniche-Costinha connection

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Breath Ray posted:

OP how do you pronounce owls boss Carvalhal? On the TV they say Carver-hal but I know that can't be right. Any ideas?

cur-va-lhawl

looks like the op, posted just yesterday, is already outdated. raphael guerreiro is apparently moving to dortmund for around €10 mil

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
portugal is going to do to england what prince charles did to that poor kid on the cover of that newspaper

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Portugal's going to arrnage a car crash?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
According to TRP every team is shite this year so maybe it's time for portugal to bring football home.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

heard people say this to me a lot in poland

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
No Pepe, Cedric, Ronaldo, Eder or André Gomes for this match. Think we might be seeing this midfield of Danilo-Moutinho-Adrien a lot against the stronger teams if it works out today.

e: eliseu is so loving bad lol

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 2, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol nani as a striker

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Mean Bean Machine posted:

No Pepe, Cedric, Ronaldo, Eder or André Gomes for this match. Think we might be seeing this midfield of Danilo-Moutinho-Adrien a lot against the stronger teams if it works out today.

e: eliseu is so loving bad lol

What's the reasoning for leaving out all those players? Just to give them some rest?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
top quality op

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

What's the reasoning for leaving out all those players? Just to give them some rest?

Ronaldo and Pepe are still on vacation cause of the CL final.

Eder is poo poo and only an idiot is going to fall into the Ronaldo Striker trap in a major tournament so if you want a body upfront to do nothing you might as well put nani I guess, and yeah as MBM says Santos is probably giving this midfield trio a spin to see if they can hold the midfield better(doesn't seem to be working though). Would honestly prefer if Moutinho didn't play at all. Just get Gomes in there, or hell, just go with Sportings midfield.

Also Jorge Jesus is doing commentary on this game which is sure to end up being more entertaining than the match itself

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao at loving Bruno Alves

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I guess we'll be playing Pepe and Carvalho in the euros

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Why would carvalho ever start over fonte

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jose posted:

Why would carvalho ever start over fonte

He has "experience"

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

This euros nike jerseys are ugly as gently caress. I thought Portugal's was bad, look at England's. How can you ruin white?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
this isnt great. i'm glad i watched episode 5 of 11.22.63 instead for the last 40 mins. no spoilers please, we are all ronaldo and james franco fans here

quote:

yeah that and we still have one last friendly before our 1st euro match so the manager's still trying out some stuff here

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Camoes posted:

This euros nike jerseys are ugly as gently caress. I thought Portugal's was bad, look at England's. How can you ruin white?

Unfettered immigration

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

African AIDS cum posted:

Unfettered immigration

lol

quaresma making them english players look slow as hell. theyre all looking fat, pudgy. too much potato stew. we got this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
mmmmmmh loved that little taste of what's to come. quality football on show tonight. i for one can't wait for euro 2016. football is alive? you bet

• Locked thread