Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Written by: Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone
Directed by: Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone
Starring: Andy Samberg

Also featuring
Adam Levine
Bill Hader
Carrie Underwood
Imogen Poots
Jimmy Fallon
Joan Cusack
Joanna Newsom
Mariah Carey
Martin Sheen
Maya Rudolph
Paul Scheer
Pink
Sarah Silverman
Seal
Simon Cowell
Snoop Dogg
Tim Meadows
Usher Raymond
Will Arnett
Will Forte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S207jSgL_jw

http://i.imgur.com/S4ieBBX.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
So, is this gonna be good?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Trollipop posted:

So, is this gonna be good?

The Lonely Island has done some funny stuff – Hot Rod is very good – so probably.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Reviews are pretty good so far. People seem to be calling it this generation's Spinal Tap.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I am 100% on board with everything the Lonely Island does, and my wife has a crush on Andy Samberg so this will be an easy sell.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it will probably be good but tank at the box office like walk hard and hot rod

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If people aren't familiar with The Lonely Island, or even if they are, here's a bit they did for a recent SNL to promote this movie, featuring the same character Andy Samberg is playing in this movie. I don't believe this song is in the movie, but it's presumably the same style of humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9Kaa1sycs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was kinda smirking along, and then surprise Snoop Dogg got me laughing.

Gonna see this.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Here's another video they put out promoting the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l9nLXczT3s

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Lonely Island is pretty funny and Hot Rod is great, so I'm pretty confident this will be funny.

I sing "Diaper Money" way to often in my head.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So this was pretty good. Could have used more musical numbers, though, considering The Lonely Island's skill set. I appreciate a movie coming in lean, particularly a comedy, but an extra 5 minutes for two more songs would still have it be a full half-hour shorter than Walk Hard.

And, yeah, definitely more of a Lonely Island group movie than the trailer suggests.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Watching it, I kinda wonder if it's to the Lonely Island what Chef was to Jon Favreau. Maybe we never heard about it, but it could be the product of a rift between the guys. Andy Samburg is the star going out on his own, Akiva and Jorma were the two brains behind behind the music, the music and the words respectively. It isn't that far of a leap to connect it to their comedic careers.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I highly suggest the soundtrack which features 20 songs and most weren't in the movie.

We had 2 walk outs when I saw it over the Penis autograph scene

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I loved it. I can't stop listening to Mona Lisa.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even as someone who doesn't really care about The Lonely Island I thought this was a pretty funny movie. Kind of odd though that going by the trailers it looks like Will Forte had an entire bit that got cut since he appears in like 1 scene in the entire movie. I think the cameo I liked the most was Justin Timberlake as the chef (with the amazing singing voice.)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I highly suggest the soundtrack which features 20 songs and most weren't in the movie.

I can't believe they had this material and left so much of it out of the movie. Like, we get a bit of the Mona Lisa song, but the whole thing is great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The soundtrack is on Spotify but for some reason they don't let you stream Equal Rights.

Edit: Really wish "Legalize it" was in the movie.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 4, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Just got back and it was funny but they kind of over Did the talking head stuff.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Edit: Really wish "Legalize it" was in the movie.

Yeah, though it does play over the end credits.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw and really enjoyed this. Couldn't decide between the TMZ sketches or Jay from the Inbetweeners co-starring (despite having about 4 lines) as a man who looks like Jared Leto as my favourite part.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

Lonely Island is pretty funny and Hot Rod is great, so I'm pretty confident this will be funny.

I sing "Diaper Money" way to often in my head.

Wait, people remember Hot Rod fondly? I saw it in theaters and wasn't surprised it bombed, although my friend and I both thought Danny McBride was hilarious before we had any idea who he was.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mameluke posted:

Just saw and really enjoyed this. Couldn't decide between the TMZ sketches or Jay from the Inbetweeners co-starring (despite having about 4 lines) as a man who looks like Jared Leto as my favourite part.

Speaking of Leto, my favorite joke in the whole movie is Conner's misconception regarding 30 Seconds to Mars.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Did anybody else think Connor's disguise makeup made him look exactly like a young Michael Showalter?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Veshpo posted:

Did anybody else think Connor's disguise makeup made him look exactly like a young Michael Showalter?

I kept thinking cartoon Crispin Glover.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Marketing New Brain posted:

Wait, people remember Hot Rod fondly? I saw it in theaters and wasn't surprised it bombed, although my friend and I both thought Danny McBride was hilarious before we had any idea who he was.

Hot Rod is incredible--I always kinda thought it was like Napoleon Dynamite in its renown:

Popular, then severe backlash, then absolutely no one cared for a long time, then "oh it was actually good all along"

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Mona Lisa, you're an overrated piece of poo poo
With your terrible smile
and your dead shark eyes
and a smirk like you're hiding a dick (what the gently caress is this garbage?)

I laughed way too hard at this from the very beginning. I think it was Karate Guy that first set me off - "I'm in a cowboy hat. Now I'm in a cowboy hat. Now I'm in three cowboy hats" - but I laughed hard at the whole thing. I might try to catch it again before it leaves theaters.

"My name is Mr. Fish, these guys' thoughts have granted my wish"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

Hot Rod is incredible--I always kinda thought it was like Napoleon Dynamite in its renown:

Popular, then severe backlash, then absolutely no one cared for a long time, then "oh it was actually good all along"

Was Hot Rod ever popular? Napoleon Dynamite was a phenomenon from the start and followed that path like you stated, but Hot Rod didn't seem to get that treatment.
Sidenote, I revisited Napoleon Dynamite last year and it holds up.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Welp, looks like strike 2 for the Lonely Island. drat shame, we loved it (and so did the other person in the theatre). My wife was helpless with laughter during the whole 'proposal' scene.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hot Rod was popular enough that a church I went to's youth group basically parodied it nonstop for 3 years by their 'viral video team' which was a thing they had.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was Hot Rod ever popular? Napoleon Dynamite was a phenomenon from the start and followed that path like you stated, but Hot Rod didn't seem to get that treatment.
Sidenote, I revisited Napoleon Dynamite last year and it holds up.

I liked Hot Rod, but Napoleon Dynamite reminded me of this family I knew growing up. I just couldn't find the humor in it, it made me feel bad watching.

I'm a special iconoclast snowflake though, so who knows?

There's a couple of real gems on the soundtrack. If I find the time I'll go see the movie in theaters.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Thriller, Also is a really funny name for an album. A+

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Killing me this still isn't out in my local for the second week in a row. Everything they're screening I've either seen or is literal garbage. Ugh.

Cool beans.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cool beans.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Looks like it's not even opening in Australia now. Reason #496 I'm glad I don't live in Australia any more

e: c-c-cool beans

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cooooooooooooool.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Saw it, was good, not great. I thought it needed more songs. My favorite bit was probably Connor yelling GET MERKED! GET MERKED! at the giant queen bee The Earl Sweatshirt/Tyler the creator (?) satire guy was really funny too.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is what they sampled in Humble, I had no idea it was from something that old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azeg9rwRRcY

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

This is what they sampled in Humble, I had no idea it was from something that old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azeg9rwRRcY

Huh. I knew they were trying to ape Buddy Holly era rock with that, but I had no idea it was a straight up sample.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This was great. Lots of great jokes wrapped around a solid center story. It's a shame this has died at the box office.

Also, drat that Emma Stone cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I enjoyed the film, and have been rocking the soundtrack for the past few days.

It got nailed at the box office though. Bad marketing strategy from the studio?

• Locked thread