Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to find a way for a movie to go directly to 'beloved cult film' and skip the 'dismal performance at the box office' stage, because that stage is a real bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Bananana posted:

I enjoyed the film, and have been rocking the soundtrack for the past few days.

It got nailed at the box office though. Bad marketing strategy from the studio?

Pop music is serious business, y'all.:jerkbag:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Clipperton posted:

Someone needs to find a way for a movie to go directly to 'beloved cult film' and skip the 'dismal performance at the box office' stage, because that stage is a real bummer.

Netflix should have taken all that Adam Sandler deal money and given it to these guys instead.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MorgaineDax posted:

Netflix should have taken all that Adam Sandler deal money and given it to these guys instead.

Sandler is still a marquee draw, with fans who will angrily defend his latest film by insisting that Happy Gilmore was good.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Bananana posted:

I enjoyed the film, and have been rocking the soundtrack for the past few days.

It got nailed at the box office though. Bad marketing strategy from the studio?

I blame the release date. I feel like this movie would have done a lot better coming out in October or February instead of competing for theater space with summer blockbusters.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'd say the core issue is the utter lack of advertising. I literally can't think of anything promoting the film, even online.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I'd say the core issue is the utter lack of advertising. I literally can't think of anything promoting the film, even online.

I saw the promo a few times on TV, and they did "Finest Girl" on SNL, but yeah, it's not much compared to all the big action/fantasy movies coming out around it. Sometimes that kind of counterprogramming works, but not always.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

They apparently did an in character appearance on The Voice and performed a live version of Humble with Adam Levine, which seems like the type of promotion that would work for the movie. On the other hand I don't feel like there's a tremendous amount of overlap between The Voice's audience and the target audience for this movie.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This just felt like a shorter more modern 'Walk Hard'. Loved it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Loved the poo poo out of this, but a lot of it probably has to do with me being a complete sucker of parody and cameos who loves music

Wish they would make an extended cut of Donkey Roll for people to play at parties and poo poo

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Justin Timberlake as the chef (with the amazing singing voice.)

He has really good comedic timing and could honestly make a career as an actor with the right roles. I loved him too

Also I smiled really hard after the joke about "Catching a bit about an obscure old movie called The Parent Trap about these two little redhead girls..."

text editor fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 3, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They released an actual music video for Finest Girl. It's amazing, got some great little cameos.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I had no idea this was out

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Arglebargle III posted:

I had no idea this was out

It came and went from my local theater in a week, the promotion was terrible. I look forward to catching it on Redbox in a couple months though!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

On Spotify they were promoting the hell out of it, but I didn't see a single ad for it on TV or before movies

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Saw this last night, and I enjoyed it, though as a big fan of the Lonely Island and Hot Rod, I was a little disappointed. It was very short, and the songs were easily the funniest things in it, to the point where I wondered if I may as well just listen to the album. I also thought it relied far too much on cameos. Those celebrity pieces to camera were funny, but maybe took up a fifth of the film's runtime.

Still, I enjoyed it overall. "Equal Rights" was hilarious.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Saw this last night, and I enjoyed it, though as a big fan of the Lonely Island and Hot Rod, I was a little disappointed. It was very short, and the songs were easily the funniest things in it, to the point where I wondered if I may as well just listen to the album. I also thought it relied far too much on cameos. Those celebrity pieces to camera were funny, but maybe took up a fifth of the film's runtime.

Still, I enjoyed it overall. "Equal Rights" was hilarious.

Yeah, it's funny, but I wonder if, instead of making a bunch of music videos for a new album, we got this instead. In which case we got something less focused on the music, which as you say was the funniest part. It would have been nice if they'd been able to go the Walk Hard route and anchor the movie with a bunch of full performances of the various songs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hopefully the movie does better in the home market.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I'm listening to the album now and it's amazing. The exclusive tracks are really good and you get a bit more insight into the songs from the film - "These Are The Things In My Jeep" is actually a full song featuring Linkin Park (!) and the song Seal sings when Conner proposes is just a repurposed version of the song about how the Mona Lisa is terrible.

It really is a better album than a movie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm listening to the album now and it's amazing. The exclusive tracks are really good and you get a bit more insight into the songs from the film - "These Are The Things In My Jeep" is actually a full song featuring Linkin Park (!) and the song Seal sings when Conner proposes is just a repurposed version of the song about how the Mona Lisa is terrible.

It really is a better album than a movie.

It's a great companion. I don't think I would like the album as much without the movie, but it really adds another dimension to the whole thing as well.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This film is p funny. Not particularly original or thoughtful or anything, but funny and fun. Certainly a thing you could watch and be fine with.

It was very on point about that whole genre of pop music I felt like in terms of how they tackled the parody.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The album and the film really complement each other. Each one has some missing gaps the other fills in. Some of the songs don't make full sense unless you see the film, but you need the film to understand some of the songs, and the songs not in the film give additional insight into Conner and his writing style/viewpoint.

Also, Should I Move? and gently caress Off are loving aces.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

CRINDY posted:

Also, Should I Move? and gently caress Off are loving aces.

gently caress Off was ten times as funny as it would have been before I had a kid.

Also Legalize It.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Well this thread is the only time I've heard about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finally got to see it, really hope there's a ton of extra stuff on the DVD as it really feels like it deserves a '4 hour work print' a la Spinal Tap. OK, maybe not 4 hours, but a ton more.

I think the only 2 things i wasn't keen on were

1. the baby drumming scene that was also in the trailer. It didn't sit right gag wise, nor did it really suit the character.
2. the song at the end should've been the best one (or a contender) and it was probably the worst.

Other than that, hit expectations and look forward to seeing it again. Let's hope the terrible promotion doesn't stop someone else giving them a chance to make another theatrical movie, as both this and Hot Rod were great and also cheap.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

1. the baby drumming scene that was also in the trailer. It didn't sit right gag wise, nor did it really suit the character.

This was a direct reference to the Justin Bieber movie that Popstar is parodying, which has a scene exactly like that with a young (like, 7 or 8) Bieber.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I never caught that one, makes more sense now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of "gently caress Off" and music videos, there's now one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mordja posted:

Speaking of "gently caress Off" and music videos, there's now one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jKtjgRZQY

That's a good song

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Are those supposed to be his actual parents?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

EL BROMANCE posted:

2. the song at the end should've been the best one (or a contender) and it was probably the worst.

that song gives us mr fish though, and "it was me! i was mr fish!" is probably my favorite gag in the entire movie

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Justin Timberlake is a national loving treasure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Literally The Worst posted:

that song gives us mr fish though, and "it was me! i was mr fish!" is probably my favorite gag in the entire movie

Ha yeah that was the saving grace of that particular track.

Man, Finest Girl still absolutely slays me. I'm kinda glad I didn't see the SNL promo for it before the movie, even though the promo is better tbh.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GonSmithe posted:

Justin Timberlake is a national loving treasure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving love it!

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Didn't even know this was out, saw it at a friend's place. I'll watch it again soon, and I expect watching it many times more in the future. This is what comedies, parodies especially, need to be. I guess it won't do well at the box office due to the current blockbuster trend, and it's not an indie production or artsy intellectual satire, so the critics won't praise it either.

I'm gonna put it on my list of favorite 21st century comedies, along with Eurotrip, Dodgeball, Grandma's Boy, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle and most Will Ferrell movies.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I'm not a big fan of Samberg so my expectations were low but man this movie is loving hilarious. All the crazy cameos are just icing on the cake. I agree that they should have used more of the songs in the movie, like Legalize It an Mona Lisa.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I thought this was good but i felt like Walk Hard took the premise of making fun of the music industry and musicians as a whole, and also biopics, and was a lot funnier with it. Of course they dont cover the same kinds of music and its a documentary send up instead of a biopic sendup but they still scratch the same itch and Walk Hard does it better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Conversely, I waited for so long for Walk Hard and ended up turning it off after about 20 minutes because it was so horribly unfunny to me. So gutted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Walk Hard is a good spoof of the biopic genre (though it drags a bit), Popstar is more in the Spinal Tap vein where it's about a career falling apart.

• Locked thread