Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

eSporks posted:

I'd settle for any format really. I think the last one we had was koth right?

there is a red planeswalker literally playable right now who doesn't have a loot ability on their +.

(it's on their 0 instead, lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

eSporks posted:

I'd settle for any format really. I think the last one we had was koth right?

Ok, I guess its not as bad I thought, but 1/4 red planeswalkers have a loot ability.

Chandra Pyromaster was playable until they printed outpost siege.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppra16/top-100-legacy-metagame-grand-prix-prague-2016-06-12

Prague Top 100 meta game breakdown

Eldrazipremacy

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yep, turns out having an absurdly easy deck to play which is also extremely powerful and can auto-win the game on turn 1 30% of the time is not a good thing. Shocking, I know.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looks like its time for dredge or 12 post.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

eSporks posted:

Looks like its time for dredge or 12 post.

It's gonna take more than that for these decks to be good.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
So the Death and Taxes deck in the top 8 ran Banisher Priest instead of Fiend Hunter, I figured Fiend Hunter would be better since you can do the Flickerwisp shenanigans to remove 2 creatures, 1 permanently. Is there a reason to run the Banisher Priest instead of Fiend Hunter besides the 1 extra power?

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 13, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

So the Death and Taxes deck in the top 8 ran Banisher Priest instead of Fiend Hunter, I figured Fiend Hunter would be better since you can possibly Flickerwisp while the ETB was on the stack and remove 2 creatures. Is there a reason to run the Banisher Priest instead of Fiend Hunter besides the 1 extra power?

Warping Wail.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Warping Wail.

Legit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's criminal that GP Columbus wasn't streamed.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo!!!!!!!!!!

Clay is a kid at my local shop here in Indy. Kid wins the Classic in Indy and now this. So freaking proud of him. In November he had to get a kidney removed where cancer was found in it. Months of chemo later here we are.

https://goo.gl/photos/E2pciWPpnQRDc7Lj6

After his first round of treatment the shop pooled together and built Modern Affinity for him as a get well soon gift.

Edit: His treatment was more preemptive since the form of cancer was so aggressive. He is cancer free as of a month ago.

Backno fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 13, 2016

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Backno posted:

Clay is a kid at my local shop here in Indy. Kid wins the Classic in Indy and now this. So freaking proud of him. In November he had to get a kidney removed where cancer was found in it. Months of chemo later here we are.

After his first round of treatment the shop pooled together and built Modern Affinity for him as a get well soon gift.

That's really awesome. Hope they got him treated in time!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

empathe posted:

That's really awesome. Hope they got him treated in time!

edited the post to make this part more clear.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Backno posted:

edited the post to make this part more clear.

Nice. Magic community is great.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

They're just lucky I had a wedding and couldn't bring the ultimate in anti-Eldrazi technology

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

They're just lucky I had a wedding and couldn't bring the ultimate in anti-Eldrazi technology

Moat Stompy? I dont think that deck can beat turn 1 moat.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Or a turn 1 Blood Moon. They can cast like, 3 creatures?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

EvilBeard posted:

Or a turn 1 Blood Moon. They can cast like, 3 creatures?

Endless one, ssg, and mimic!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Backno posted:

Edit: His treatment was more preemptive since the form of cancer was so aggressive. He is cancer free as of a month ago.

Nice! Which event was this, and what was he piloting?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

C-Euro posted:

Nice! Which event was this, and what was he piloting?

He won GP Columbus with Iegacy Infect.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

jassi007 posted:

He won GP Columbus with Iegacy Infect.

poo poo yes! That was the first legacy deck I ever built and I love it to pieces!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If you guys missed the finals of GP Prague, its worth watching. Link to Game 3 here Its miracles vs Storm
Miracles player is holding force, force, flusterstorm, flusterstorm, surgical extraction, snap caster, blue card, and has a top in play. Storm player manages to win.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eSporks posted:

If you guys missed the finals of GP Prague, its worth watching. Link to Game 3 here Its miracles vs Storm
Miracles player is holding force, force, flusterstorm, flusterstorm, surgical extraction, snap caster, blue card, and has a top in play. Storm player manages to win.

That guy was one of the better storm players I've seen. A well deserved win.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Do people bring in Sphere of Resistance against Miracles?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

On what deck?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why would they? Sphere effects usually aren't great against Miracles, as it's aiming for the long game and will have mana to spare. For it to matter you'd have to be trying to end the game early, in which case Sphere is just as bad for you.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mcmagic posted:

That guy was one of the better storm players I've seen. A well deserved win.
For sure, even game one was really sweet. He baited on a counterspell on an Infernal Tutor when he was floating PIF on top. Even if miracles chose correctly and countered the PIF instead of the Infernal Tutor, he was set up to win the following turn. That guy was just incredible at playing to his outs and he found some incredible lines only by knowing exactly what he needed to do.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

I've brought in Trinispheres against them as Lands but not sphere effects.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

eSporks posted:

For sure, even game one was really sweet. He baited on a counterspell on an Infernal Tutor when he was floating PIF on top. Even if miracles chose correctly and countered the PIF instead of the Infernal Tutor, he was set up to win the following turn. That guy was just incredible at playing to his outs and he found some incredible lines only by knowing exactly what he needed to do.

Oh wow, did not catch that bit on the stream. Incredibly impressive game making skills by the storm player.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eSporks posted:

This guy is loving nuts. I like to think I'm a reasonable storm player but there's no way I can come up with those lines in that situation.

L0cke17 posted:

Moat Stompy? I dont think that deck can beat turn 1 moat.

I sold all my Sol lands :negative:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?20529-DTB-Miracle-Control&p=954705&viewfull=1#post954705

Here's a tournament report from the 2nd place miracles player at gp Prague. He talks a bit about his lines.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Please just ban Top already.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I think banning Terminus would be the better choice IMO. Counter-Top was a powerful but not oppressive engine for years, it won tournaments and was good but nothing insane.

The miracle mechanic was super dumb, and what really transformed Counter-Top from a powerful control deck with a neat soft lock, to just a miserable slog to play against was the sudden ability to sweep your board at instant speed for 1 mana. I remember having matches against three color counter-top decks, there was more variety and interactive answers to creatures like Vedalkan Shackles, I remember RUG variants with Grim Lavamancer and Punishing Fire to hedge their bets against the threat of aggressive strategies. Pretty sure I dropped a game to a BUG Variety with a Maelstrom Pulse once. The soft lock was still rough, but aggressive and tempo decks had a shot. It didn't feel as busted as it does today.

I'd be perfectly happy to see those kind of Counter-Top lists return even if they frequently beat up the Burn and Goblins lists I was running when I first started breaking into the format.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 15, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
yeah I've wanted to see terminus go away for years. it's retarded to have a wrath at 1 mana.

Top is definitely a busted card, but its brainstorm-level busted. terminus does what it does a lot better than brainstorm does what it does.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?20529-DTB-Miracle-Control&p=954705&viewfull=1#post954705

Here's a tournament report from the 2nd place miracles player at gp Prague. He talks a bit about his lines.

Lol his username is jizz???

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

Lol his username is jizz???

Jazz was taken

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Legacy is the greatest format.

http://imgur.com/a/5nRLi

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rogue0071 posted:

Good. They deserve everything they get.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

Hm. Yes, this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU