Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

dogboy posted:

Why do you guys transport girls in the engines?

To save money. So we can try and make some of the money back we wasted at the world cup. For example by booking an entire hotel for a month and forgetting to cancel it and then staying at another hotel. Woopsie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Belgium plays Italy tomorrow. In theory this is a big match that will decide who finishes top of the group. In practice it will be an awful game and probably the tournament's first 0-0 draw as Italy's ineffectual attack fails to score against Belgium's makeshift defence and Belgium's fraudulently poor attacking formation fails to make inroads against Juventus's good defenders.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

vyelkin posted:

Belgium plays Italy tomorrow. In theory this is a big match that will decide who finishes top of the group. In practice it will be an awful game and probably the tournament's first 0-0 draw as Italy's ineffectual attack fails to score against Belgium's makeshift defence and Belgium's fraudulently poor attacking formation fails to make inroads against Juventus's good defenders.

Ha! I wish we could keep a clean sheet!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Will probably be like the other Belgian games. Very slow and boring play followed by a moment of brilliance by Kevin de Bruyne and Lukaku scoring an easy goal.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Not feeling this at all lads if I'm honest

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Courtois, Ciman, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Witsel, Nainggolan, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Hazard, R. Lukaku

Vermaelen starting an actual competitive match alongside an MLS defender, Vertonghen and Alderweireld shunted out to the flanks again, gj Wilmots

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

W
 I
L
 M
O
 T
S

O
U
 T

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Awel komaan

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's Italian for blietzkrieg

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

What's Italian for blietzkrieg

Blietzkrieggi

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

belgend posted:

W
 I
L
 M
O
 T
S

O
U
 T

Agreed.

Also lol at him throwing Lukaku under the bus during that press conference yesterday.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
* has different types of strikers
* uses them all in the exact same way
* is marc wilmots

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Pundits are catching on to Wilmots being a dumb fraud

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/17/belgium-marc-wilmots-euro-2016-defeat-italy-golden-generation

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

"I might do two changes from my Italy starting XI, I might do 10, only Courtois is certain of his spot" - Marc 'I've started to listen to my squad before they revolt' Wilmots, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

belgend posted:

"I might do two changes from my Italy starting XI, I might do 10, only Courtois is certain of his spot" - Marc 'I've started to listen to my squad before they revolt' Wilmots, 2016

welp there's the player revolt guaranteed

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Spangly A posted:

welp there's the player revolt guaranteed

also noteworthy is that "the only certain player" isn't the player he gave the captain's band to two weeks ago

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Wilmots is a bad coach, but it was even worse (much much worse actually) before he took over so I don't hate him too much. Still, it's time for somebody new.

Rudi Garcia would be absolute amazing if we could get him, but he's likely too expensive. Obviously there are other good options as well, but he has a great track record of playing offensive football and getting a team to outperform expectations. Plus he has shown that he can get the best out of Hazard (and Nainggolan).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

So, tomorrow I think will either be:

- Ireland going down 0-3 like chumps playing a naieve sort of football style from 1995, building up Belgium's confidence until they eke out an unspectacular victory against Sweden and then peter out in the next round
- Belgium playing well below their capabilities but still winning with a slim margin and basically doing World Cup 2014: Bore Harder until they get knocked out by a team that has its poo poo together

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

the jizz taxi posted:

So, tomorrow I think will either be:

- Ireland going down 0-3 like chumps playing a naieve sort of football style from 1995, building up Belgium's confidence until they eke out an unspectacular victory against Sweden and then peter out in the next round
- Belgium playing well below their capabilities but still winning with a slim margin and basically doing World Cup 2014: Bore Harder until they get knocked out by a team that has its poo poo together

Ireland are a well managed and well organised team and Belgium are going to get absolutely stuffed and everyone will cheer the Best Fans In The World

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wilmots.... in?

No but seriously there were some positive changes here. Meunier was a huge upgrade at right back, Dembele I thought was impressive in midfield until his injury (and Nainggolan was pretty anonymous after coming on), and just getting Fellaini off the pitch was a huge improvement even if Carrasco didn't do much. The team actually looked like it knew how to build an attack. Significant improvement.

Admittedly it was against Ireland and I'm skeptical if this level of play will hold up against better sides but I thought the personnel changes at least were a step forward.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Wilmots.... in?
Admittedly it was against Ireland and I'm skeptical if this level of play will hold up against better sides but I thought the personnel changes at least were a step forward.

Ireland were poor but it's definitely a better Belgium side than the last two games, they don't look a match for italy/germany/spain/france yet but they'd have a chance if they keep improving

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

wilmots in as t2, meunier for right back, we could do a solid go at engerland now

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

the jizz taxi posted:

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Why is Hazard captain, jesus loving christ, every time he touched the ball the game just stopped. He shouldn't even be starting 11 really.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Punc posted:

Why is Hazard captain, jesus loving christ, every time he touched the ball the game just stopped. He shouldn't even be starting 11 really.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I thought Hazard was v good today.

I'm still v much Wilmots Out because even tho he actually managed to accidentally play his 4-2-3-1 the way it's meant to be played (with an actual 10, an actual fullback and one of those two midfielders actually moving up to support the attack), we're still going to get shut down once we go up against a proper team again.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

R. Mute posted:

I thought Hazard was v good today.

I'm still v much Wilmots Out because even tho he actually managed to accidentally play his 4-2-3-1 the way it's meant to be played (with an actual 10, an actual fullback and one of those two midfielders actually moving up to support the attack), we're still going to get shut down once we go up against a proper team again.

Agreed. It's kind of funny my 3-0 prediction came true but it remains to be seen how we'll fare against a team that actually has its poo poo together and has the proper pedigree.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

the jizz taxi posted:

Agreed. It's kind of funny my 3-0 prediction came true but it remains to be seen how we'll fare against a team that actually has its poo poo together and has the proper pedigree.

They'll lose, and it already happened :twisted:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Considering the brackets, you could wonder if maybe Wilmots is a genius and lost to Italy on purpose. That'd be stupid, because Wilmots obviusly is not a genius, but losing to Italy might very well have been an unintentional masterstroke. Might be.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If Ireland goes 1-1 against Sweden, and Belgium beats Ireland 3-0, then clearly Belgium will win by 3-0 tonight. The logic is airtight and any other result would violate the laws of mathematics.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Phlegmish posted:

If Ireland goes 1-1 against Sweden, and Belgium beats Ireland 3-0, then clearly Belgium will win by 3-0 tonight. The logic is airtight and any other result would violate the laws of mathematics.

*looks at huge blackboard filled with funny numbers and formulas and hell, even a graph or two* hmm, checks out

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

Considering the brackets, you could wonder if maybe Wilmots is a genius and lost to Italy on purpose. That'd be stupid, because Wilmots obviusly is not a genius, but losing to Italy might very well have been an unintentional masterstroke. Might be.

wilmots is a masterclass troll but he's not this clever

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

We did it reddit

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol at the 'news' that Nainggolan smokes. Also lol at Wilmots going: 'We know, that's why we always get him a room with a balcony'.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

beedeebee posted:

Lol at the 'news' that Nainggolan smokes. Also lol at Wilmots going: 'We know, that's why we always get him a room with a balcony'.

I hate Wilmots' tactics but I loving love how he plays our press like a fiddle

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
gj today Belges, glad to have met my OP prediction of at least reaching the quarterfinal

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You would think that Belges would be more excited about their very convincing performance in the last game.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

we are

SA's Belgians aren't representative of the average Belgian

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Torrannor posted:

You would think that Belges would be more excited about their very convincing performance in the last game.

About 1/3rd of Belgians watched the match on television. I don't think this is counting all the big screen events, which draw huge crowds as well.

In my town there's at least one nutjob who listens in his car, cause every game, every goal we've heard the same car horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

nimby posted:

In my town there's at least one nutjob who listens in his car, cause every game, every goal we've heard the same car horn.

Lol

• Locked thread