Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It's like, just run your drat kernel through the middle of the earth like everyone else in the free world. You don't need any localized mass, as a fake electron cloud or actual atoms, unless you are in space and going through interstellar magnetic fields. Or you're an antisocial prick and want to keep your poo poo secret from everyone but the cia.

Meet the new BiOS, same as the old BiOS, haha! Is that.. does this joke work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bagarthach posted:

It'll be worse. Desktops are dying. They're going to turn your PC OS into a phone OS whether you like it or not.

phone oss loving blow, though. it's a good day if my ipad crashes only every hour or two.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ork of Fiction posted:

that'll do, ork, that'll do

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ork of Fiction posted:

that'll do, ork, that'll do

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006
When I got the option to upgrade to windows 10, I did so immediately and I couldn't be happier. Everything works perfectly. :smug:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
This is just speculation but maybe a lot of webpages have a ton of bloat because developers immediately hop into a web framework to do their dumb simple poo poo instead of "reinventing the wheel" (as they so call it)? Meaning that their dumb rear end framework adds a ton of bullshit that they don't need and never touch themselves because it looks fine to the end user. Instead of just typing out some simple loving code they entrust a bunch of dudes who are not them to write most of it for them by using their framework.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It loving chokes when I use the loving backspace key on my laptop

My desktop is stupid overpowered so it can manage that at least.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
So after letting windows 7 update for 6 hours, it finally went through. Strangely the updater now tells me that it only took 1.5 hours. So I'm guessing all those other hours were used for refactoring poo poo or whatever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ugh I typed the title wrong :(

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
im still on windows 9

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
What Internet Year would you say it's most like?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I got a new laptop as a birthday gift and I still haven't worked the courage to boot it up because it comes with W10. It's heartbreaking.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

This is just speculation but maybe a lot of webpages have a ton of bloat because developers immediately hop into a web framework to do their dumb simple poo poo instead of "reinventing the wheel" (as they so call it)? Meaning that their dumb rear end framework adds a ton of bullshit that they don't need and never touch themselves because it looks fine to the end user. Instead of just typing out some simple loving code they entrust a bunch of dudes who are not them to write most of it for them by using their framework.

rails is hilariously retarded and the guy in charge of it is a megalomaniac who is trying to turn his bad web programming thing into a cult of personality but that's like a whole other nerd conversation

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Windows 10 has been OK for me.

But I can't change the color of the actual windows anymore, which I could on Win 7. What the gently caress?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Bagarthach posted:

It'll be worse. Desktops are dying. They're going to turn your PC OS into a phone OS whether you like it or not.

Pff. People have been saying this for years and it just ain't happening.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ema Nymton posted:

Windows 10 has been OK for me.

But I can't change the color of the actual windows anymore, which I could on Win 7. What the gently caress?

Windows 10 is basically windows 7 except much uglier

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
Try Vista

Smoking hot, but nevertheless cool.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Windows 10 is like the aids it's easily foiled but persistant. If you are dumb or let down your guard one night suddenly WHAM you have the aids. Don't worry tho it's not terminal anymore.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Bagarthach posted:

I'm not so sure. One day we may widely have one work device (your phone) and plug it into a keyboard/mouse and monitor when you are at the office. However, there was so much pushback on Windows 8, that Microsoft pretty much reverted to a windows 7 interface for windows 10. There are a few remnants of win8, but really not that many, and you don't have to use any of them because the win 7 equivalents are there for you as well. That's how much people hated using a mobile interface with a mouse and keyboard. I think we will likely have a unified OS only with two separate interfaces that you can switch between.

Ferroque posted:

well i'm dual booting and it's nice to have an os that doesn't constantly bug me about things, run things secretly in the background, have ads in the start menu, keep asking me to use cortana, etc

You can easily remove/disable all of this. If anyone wants, I can post a script to turn off all the win10 data collection poo poo. With just a little configuration, Windows 10 is solid and fast. I haven't crashed or had any problems since installing, or had any big desire to revert to windows 7.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
How do I configure windows 10 to do as I say, for instance run the update utility when I tell it to, and not whenever it drat well pleases?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

sofokles posted:

Try Vista

Smoking hot, but nevertheless cool.

I was using that until February when I bought Win 7 to upgrade to 10. Vista was great, very underrated. I only left because its End of Life forced me to. :rip:

I still have 7 a work, though. Our computer guys aren't thrilled with 8 or 10.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

people are naturally attracted to stupid animated moving poo poo. Bonzi Buddy is worth the slowdown, though, cause he helps me with email and browsing.

Bonzai is my buddy too. :qq:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bundle of Keys posted:

How do I configure windows 10 to do as I say, for instance run the update utility when I tell it to, and not whenever it drat well pleases?

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-downgrade-windows-10-windows-7

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

so if i have to go through all this bullshit to make windows 10 work like windows 7, why not just use windows 7

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

If Windows 10 is slow you're using a slow computer, I preferred windows 7 on my older machines but when I got a new PC windows 10 runs perfect and I prefer it. Windows 7 is 7 years old.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
you hosed up your install, reinstall

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

clearly bill 'dumbass' gats should have hired us brilliant goons to design his latest operating system

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

haha stupid MBA's!!!! theyd ont know anything about computing ahaha im totally not bitter

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Bundle of Keys posted:

Incorporate, get a software assurance contract, run windows 10 enterprise.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I got win 10 now it is good as an added bonus it triggered my nerd friend

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Ema Nymton posted:

I was using that until February when I bought Win 7 to upgrade to 10. Vista was great, very underrated. I only left because its End of Life forced me to. :rip:

I still have 7 a work, though. Our computer guys aren't thrilled with 8 or 10.

It's weird how no one has an opinion on Windows 9. :raise:

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Ork of Fiction posted:

It's weird how no one has an opinion on Windows 9. :raise:

thats because 7 8 it :rimshot:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
would you like to join my punk music webring op?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fakiebeanplant posted:

clearly bill 'dumbass' gats should have hired us brilliant goons to design his latest operating system

By this logic, Windows 8 was a success because goons (everyone) hated that too and Microsoft too thought they knew what they were doing.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
windows occupies the bizarro universe, somehow; goons hate anything that becomes super popular, but because it's super popular to hate windows, the polarity flips and goons rag on anyone who hates windows even though windows is still one of the most popular OSes

it's hosed UP

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Windows 10 is pretty good. Better than 8. Comparable to 7 I guess

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

fakiebeanplant posted:

haha stupid MBA's!!!! theyd ont know anything about computing ahaha im totally not bitter

goons' villains all own because they all seem like educated well-adjusted people

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Windows 10 is pretty good. Better than 8. Comparable to 7 I guess

it's clearly just straight up worse than 7. only thing people can say is :airquote: "it's newer" "it's more """compatible"""" "you can run the bash shell inside of it :rolleyes:" :airquote:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ferroque posted:

it's clearly just straight up worse than 7. only thing people can say is :airquote: "it's newer" "it's more """compatible"""" "you can run the bash shell inside of it :rolleyes:" :airquote:

it boots faster, looks better and the aerosnap or w/e it's called works better and is much more user friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

a7m2 posted:

it boots faster, looks better and the aerosnap or w/e it's called works better and is much more user friendly

it's actually worse than it was before but whatever you want to think to validate your decision to upgrade, dear

• Locked thread