Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ork of Fiction posted:

I was hoping that "the real" was just a 2ndary illusion. Like a spillover for hyper-oppositional anomalies. Everyone who rejects the social framework gets dumped into a fake "chosen one" scenario where they spend the rest of their imaginary life jerking themselves off over how special, perfect, and powerful they are.

This was my second thought and I have no idea why the machines didn't think of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Because the machines are morons.

They presumably could have just dug a tunnel/ditch connecting the ocean to those old sewers and have done with it but nah.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Roylicious posted:

Matrix in a matrix would have also been an awesome plot twist (that's what I thought was gonna happen when Neo was able to stop the hunter-killer robots in 'the real world').

That first movie was so good then the ball got dropped so hard...

It is impressive how the wachieskis somehow found and chose the single dumbest option in a setup with so many interesting possibilities

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I'd give you my opinion on the movie but frankly I'm at an impasse until Red Letter Media tells me exactly what opinion I should have

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wicker Man posted:

WHERE DID THE SPECIAL MAN FROM CUBE GO WHEN HE ENTERED THE LIGHT?! WHAT HAPPENED!?!

they were abducted by aliens, but died on the probing table so Cube actually took place in Alien Hell. when the retard walked into the light he escaped the CIAs secret death machine and emerged in the future, obviously

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Pawn 17 posted:

That movie wouldn't make sense today. Thousands of people voluntarily put their entire lives on youtube.
Ubiquitous smartphones ruin plots.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The dome was lowered over the city by helicopters. It's in the deleted scenes on the DVD special edition.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

In the Matrix, why did they use people as "batteries", when they would have to use more energy to keep them alive then they could ever get from them?

Serious point: many films of the late 1990s seem to focus on people stuck in a normal environment that they have to escape. The Matrix, The Truman Show, and Office Space, while being seemingly different movies, all have that late 90s theme to them.

actually IIRC the original idea was that the machines were using a network of enslaved human brains as cheap information processing power (probably some variation of the "you only use 10% of your brain" myth) but it was the 90s and someone didn't feel like people would get it, so they changed it to the bullshit free energy fusion thing

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Matrix was about Neo's ascent into true god(ess)hood when he changes into a woman, it was all just one big metaphor for trans rights on behalf of the Wachowski sisters and it was pretty loving obvious

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
the truman show failed to represent just how much of the show's fanbase would be dedicated to trading videos of him loving honestly

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Matrix was about Neo's ascent into true god(ess)hood when he changes into a woman, it was all just one big metaphor for trans rights on behalf of the Wachowski sisters and it was pretty loving obvious

was it? i was pretty drunk when i saw the third one but i dont remember neo getting long hair or anything

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

John Denver Hoxha posted:

the truman show failed to represent just how much of the show's fanbase would be dedicated to trading videos of him loving honestly

They always panned away when he had sex so there wouldn't even have been that to draw the audience in.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Applewhite posted:

They always panned away when he had sex so there wouldn't even have been that to draw the audience in.

Please, they had cameras everywhere

like no enterprising person on the production staff wouldn't leak a few bootlegs to the tabloids to help fund his coke habit

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I guess it's lucky Truman didn't grow up to be a chronic masturbator or serial killer or something.

Also, why were all the other buildings in town fake? Wouldn't it make more sense for the cast to live normal lives and work real jobs for the 90% of the time they weren't interacting with Truman?

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
For the people complaining about the dome, make sure not to watch Synecdoche, New York.

A theater director is given unlimited funds to produce a play. He creates a replica of his life, which of course requires a replica of this replica, and of course another after that. In the end, the cost of the play has plunged the country (or the whole world? I forget) into anarchy*

*according to my memory of the film from like ~7 years ago

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
next your gonna tell me Gremlins is fake. forget it pal, movies are a wish your heart makes and i believe in movies.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

JiveHonky posted:

next your gonna tell me Gremlins is fake. forget it pal, movies are a wish your heart makes and i believe in movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byW49j2YSjE

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Applewhite posted:

They built a gigantic dome over an entire island in service of the world's most boring reality TV show? The cost of such a structure would be astronomical, far beyond the realm of the supposedly lucrative merchandising afforded by the show's popularity.

Not to mention it's completely unnecessary to their purpose. Truman was already not allowed to leave the town, what was a dome gonna do?

TRUMPS AMERICA

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

hell yeah keeps getting probated over and over by a fyad mod, i wonder what he did to earn such a fate

i wonder what i have done to earn the fate of having to read you're posts

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The whole production would have gotten hella sued. Do they really think they can just keep principles on set forever? poo poo after 8 hours the day rate alone becomes staggering, let alone round the clock acting. His wife would have been a billionaire week one with SAG rates these days.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

RedMage129 posted:

The whole production would have gotten hella sued. Do they really think they can just keep principles on set forever? poo poo after 8 hours the day rate alone becomes staggering, let alone round the clock acting. His wife would have been a billionaire week one with SAG rates these days.

they really should recall the movie

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Like, the dome didn't spring up overnight. For a period of several years the mile-high walls of the half constructed dome would have been visible from anywhere in the town.

Truman was ushered into the nurses office to receive a series of mandatory vaccinations, these rendered him a shut-in autist, once the construction was finished his autism was cured.

Also didn't they build it because people were parachuting onto the island?

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

RedMage129 posted:

Since he had sex with his wife, is she technically a prostitute? Do they get away with paying her because it's being filmed for a 'performance'?

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

Matrix would have been better if it turned out that everyone had been dead for a few thousand years and were just the last remnants of uploaded human consciousness tended to by the ai. Also seconding that "welcome to the real world" should have been back up matrix for special brains. Interpret special brains how you may

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tectonis posted:

Since he had sex with his wife, is she technically a prostitute? Do they get away with paying her because it's being filmed for a 'performance'?

The being filmed for performance thing.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Truman show was a sequel to Funny Green Man

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think they called it "the mask" in the US

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Isaac posted:

I think they called it "the mask" in the US

Speaking of the mask, do The Mask and The Truman Show count as part of Jim Carrey's "rear end in a top hat learns a magical lesson" series of films (ex: Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Leap Day Williams)?

Or do they belong more to his "insufferable rear end in a top hat annoys everybody" series like Ace Ventura and Dumb & Dumber?

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 3, 2016

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

tomstuart posted:

thats a much better plot idea than the real matrix movies

*revised plot*
humans build an immersive virtual world (like in ready player one) and make machines to tend to their needs because the world has gone to absolute poo poo

the machines are given ai to tend to the humans and the virtual world

machiense streamline the process and breed humans for the vitual world because the machines were programmed to

this goes on for so long that some forget how it came to be this way

some humans in compatible with the matrix belive they were enslaved and begin to fight back

in an attempt to "free" humans they ruin the matrix and doom humanity once and for all

They already made that movie. I think it was called "Virtual Nightmare". There was this gritty grimy reality full of "rebels" who tortured themselves to see through the illusion, but that was just another layer for non-conformist edgelords. At the deepest level, people just did it to themselves because it was convenient. I might be thinking of some other low-budget Matrix knockoff that put more thought into the plot than the actual Matrix, though. The movie was like some Z-grade made-for-TV thing and I can't even find a decent online summary.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

truman actually drowned and died when ed harris activated the storm

the fake wall and the flight of exit stairs at the end was all just symbolic of truman going to heaven

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In the matrix Smith is the One.

Since he's like 30 or whatever why wouldn't the dome just be a backdrop of city construction for the younger years that gives way to an actual dome with the sky backdrop when it's done.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Isaac posted:

Truman show was a sequel to Funny Green Man

i like the av

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
It was the 90's, and anything was possible.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Some kind person bought it for me

Green Hill Friendzone
Oct 27, 2013

The machines built the matrix with all the glitches and rouge programs n poo poo on purpose, because they still really wanted to make up with the humans.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ed Harris with a beret

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't think it's meant to be taken very literally. It's like the movie equivalent of an impressionistic painting.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

glowing-fish posted:

In the Matrix, why did they use people as "batteries", when they would have to use more energy to keep them alive then they could ever get from them?

Serious point: many films of the late 1990s seem to focus on people stuck in a normal environment that they have to escape. The Matrix, The Truman Show, and Office Space, while being seemingly different movies, all have that late 90s theme to them.

And Fight Club.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Placid Marmot posted:

For the people complaining about the dome, make sure not to watch Synecdoche, New York.

A theater director is given unlimited funds to produce a play. He creates a replica of his life, which of course requires a replica of this replica, and of course another after that. In the end, the cost of the play has plunged the country (or the whole world? I forget) into anarchy*

*according to my memory of the film from like ~7 years ago

Whoa, this sounds like a cool idea for a movie. If this is the real plot, I need to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I liked when he got to the end of the train and Ed Harris explained how important he was, then he balked and dipped out

• Locked thread