Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

http://nyti.ms/1sV2KRM AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The beginning of that article read exactly like an excerpt you'd see in Duffelblog

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
La-li-lu-le-lo

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

http://nyti.ms/1sV2KRM AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:ironicat:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

wait what is this thread supposed to be about again

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

it is limited only by your imagination

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

it is limited only by your imagination

Whatever can tentatively be linked to technology is cool to discuss in here.
Like that NYTimes article I linked to, the hard things for the unit being profiled was....NO INTERNET, unable to check fantasy sports, NO MIL CONTRACTORS .

Shim, what's your thoughts on professional computer associations?
Examples: IEEE, ACM, EPIC, etc. Some of them have decent resources, and bmfyx jajsg jyyjw ymjfg nqnyd ytoil jtyme jwxee

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Whatever can tentatively be linked to technology is cool to discuss in here.

quote:

In the battles of the 32nd century, MechWarriors and infantry alike fear the air cavalry: high-tech poly-metal helicopters that rain death and destruction as their rotors shriek in fury. Thundering across battlefields of a hundred future worlds, BattleMechs are the kings of combat in The Republic of the Sphere.

quote:

BattleTech has been described as "the future of the 80's" for its aesthetics and technological ficion. Real-world technology developed quite differently from what the authors believed at the time of the inception of the game, leading to occasionally odd concepts of what is supposedly possible and what is not. The most glaring mismatches are weapon ranges in BattleTech, which are mere fractions of the ranges easily achieved with similar weapons in the real world, and the perceived size and performance of computers. The internet was not part of the early fiction either, but comparable communication networks were later written in.

The BattleTech universe is largely rooted in real-world physics, but some key premises of the universe are science fiction in that they seem to defy the laws of physics as they are currently known. These include super-efficient fusion engines that supply vast amounts of power from relatively small and compact devices, starship thrust drives that outperform any currently known thrusters technology, and Kearny-Fuchida Drive technology that allows for faster-than-light travel and communication.

Iconic fictional technologies from the BattleTech universe include:

BattleMechs: A basic premise of BattleTech is the evolution of the BattleMech as a superior war machine. Driven by human pilots with the help of neurohelmets, 'Mechs are gigantic humanoid walking tanks that imitate human movement patterns which makes them easier to control (as they can be used like super-large battlesuits) and supposedly gives them a significant advantage in mobility and versatility over other vehicles.

DropShips: Most space traffic is handled with DropShips. Powered by fusion engines and highly efficient thrust drives, these are extremely rugged and versatile shuttlecraft ranging from anywhere between 200 to 100,000 tons in mass. They are generally easily capable of landing on planets and taking off into space again under their own power. In space, they can maintain acceleration of 1g or more for several days or weeks.

JumpShips: JumpShips can perform jumps of up to 30 lightyears between Jump Points within mere seconds (typically from one star system to another). They are essentially Kearny-Fuchida Drive cores to which DropShips can attach themselves for faster-than-light transportation.

Hyperpulse Generators: Known as HPGs for short, these employ the same fictional Kearny-Fuchida principles as jump drives, but instead of moving starships they transmit data at faster-than-light speed. Their range is up to around 50 lightyears, and messages are usually bundled and sent out in certain intervals (as opposed to continual transmission, which is also possible but rarely used). A communications network of HPGs was established that survived the downfall of the Star League and now marks the boundary of the Inner Sphere. The HPG network is generally associated with ComStar who exclusively operated it and evolved into a religious body over this.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Careful now. N4I might start bitching about the maintenance checklists on those things.
And Shim might start hacking those interstellar fax machines.
Do those huge 100 ton battlemechs have turn signals & reverse gear beeping?

I wonder what kind of VA analogue exists in the battletech universe.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
VA is lostech

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Now that I think about it, the VA is probably ComStar. Hoarding healthcare for the upper ranks.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Now that I think about it, the VA is probably ComStar. Hoarding healthcare for the upper ranks.

if VA was comstar then HPL messages would take like 3 years so IDK

edit: I'm googling HPL to see if thats correct term and if it is I'm going to kill myself

edit2: its HPG

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Truth. But each HPL message is like 15kb maximum. And MRI scans take up roughly 2TB, so....
hmmm. IDK either.

edited too HPG too

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 8, 2016

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
If the VA went all

"So about all that money we were getting, and not using on substandard care while actively killing dudes. We actually used it to build giant fighting robots with huge missile racks and the dropships to carry them! and the Dudes didn't die! They were in a secret mech pilot training program!"

That would be pretty cool. Too bad they'll probably kill me for real at some point when I get out and I'll find out its not a mech pilot job.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
is this the thread where we watch tuluk have a psychotic break and meltdown in realtime?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
yes

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

is this the thread where we watch tuluk have a psychotic break and meltdown in realtime?

clever girl

https://youtu.be/l8o5fxnDUjs

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Who is tuluk

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

he was a vulcan in star trek voyager i think

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

tuluk is the op until he changed his name

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

a kind of flower

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ignored the thread as pledged in the OP.
However this popped up, which might be interest for the US air force gip peoples.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/06/database-corruption-erases-100000-air-force-investigation-records/

now chelsea manning can go free i guess or something something teal rope coverup

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So did Shimazu crack his havana delight USB stick or was the pawnshop repossessed by THEM?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i still have no idea what his thread is really for

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ded posted:

please to be readink manual

https://www.zombo.com

also please to be tellink me why bbcode parses all links to https breaking legacy ones

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Found CP on the thumb drive and gave it to the authorities.

Ended up getting questioned for like 3 hours on how I came to be in possession of the thumb drive. They didn't believe I had it smuggled out of Cuba by an American friend who visited Cuba this summer. Finally when I explained my interest in the drive I think they realized I was a law abiding citizen taking a crack at digital forensics. They ended up thanking me in the end.

Now I know I'm on a list somewhere, and not a good list like schindlers.

Lots of political art on the drive, too. Anti Castro stuff.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Pretty sure you're already on a few lists.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Ended up getting questioned for like 3 hours on how I came to be in possession of the thumb drive. They didn't believe I had it smuggled out of Cuba by an American friend who visited Cuba this summer. Finally when I explained my interest in the drive I think they realized I was a law abiding citizen taking a crack at digital forensics. They ended up thanking me in the end.

good job!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

If you think about it, Schindler's List is more of a really lovely performance review if you're a Nazi

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i may have released some grey goo last night sorry guys

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ded posted:

It's ok.
Yes, big words are scary, let me help you out friend.
http://tinyurl.com/zxx3n9u

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

i may have released some grey goo last night sorry guys

Its ok your brain will heal.
Try magnets and see what happens.
Or drink some purple food coloring to see if purple goo gets released next time.

Shimazu, that is quite a story.
Next suggested task: track down IDR for an interview.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Next suggested task: track down IDR for an interview.

That shouldn't be hard since he is still posting here under a new username.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Delizin posted:

Where and who?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Delizin posted:

:suspense:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Delizin posted:

Sounds like this should be an easy task Shimazu.

:10bux: to communicate with Delizin, worth it?
What's another $10, at least $100 has been spent re-registering "OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH"

Agreed.

My interview question for IDR:
Do holidays dedicated to veterans trigger your non-existent military PTSD?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Didn't mean to get you all excited. I don't have hard evidence, just my own speculation. Since IDR got called out we did get some people with new accounts posting with some fairly mundane stories at first that quickly went into the bullshit realm which really reminded me of how the whole IDR thing went down.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I like the cut of your jib.

But what I want is usernames and quotes.

Please don't disappoint.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hey.

If Shim still posts in this forum:

Shim, keep strong and do what you need to do.
IT career path can be rough. If college sucks, bail and look at alternative options.

The Challenger Launch Decision by Diane Vaughan is a good read.
Lots of details that still bring anger 30 years on. And not an isolated case.
http://a.co/5nOEzZO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Fires by Joe Flood
How a computer formula, big ideas, and the best of intentions burned down New York City - and determined the future of cities.

One of the top five books I've read this year.
Really loving interesting from a technology cautionary tale angle and a near-perfect analogy to election year 2016.
It is about how NYC turned into a shithole from the 1960s - early 1980s.
tldr version: Self sabotage at many levels, with a starring role by RAND corporation, bleeding edge firecodes & the World Trade Center buildings.

• Locked thread