Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my first job was in a hospice when i was 16 and it impacted me so deeply that for a while i was into voluntary euthanasia up to the point of literal death panels. now i make sure i have a dnr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
oh yeah haha adbusters. i remember i was real into adbusters in high school, until i realized i was buying it in a store

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"haha culture jamming is so good, i am blowing minds here" thought college freshman popular thug drink as he sharpied moustaches on ads with female models on the subway

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

smg77 posted:

I'd love to know why so many young people go through an obnoxious libertarian phase. Is there some sort of cabal pushing Ayn Rand novels on impressionable teenagers?

it's a combination of two factors which psychologically become predominant when you first start to get your adult mind, the ability to logically reason and a sense of your own power to change your world. if you don't have a robust sense of empathy yet (notice how many people say 'until i went to college' or 'until i moved to the city' and my eyes were opened!) then it's pretty easy to convince yourself that you're special and awesome and you've figured it all out and if only everyone thought like you did then the world would be so much better

of course this explains all political extremism in youth but libertarian is especially attractive to teens and young adults because it's basically no, gently caress you dad the philosophy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What was it like before then? Were there a bunch of libertarians? How did a forum that costs $10 to post on end up with so many leftists?

d&d used to be fairly mixed politically, with vicious arguments about everything. republicans and rightists generally got chased out as the iraq war soured, and libertarians fell out during the ronpaulpalooza of 2008. the extreme leftists all got sucked into LF and banned over the years, creating now-dead offsites. now d&d is basically the subforum where leftists talk about politics, there's more rightleaning political chat in GBS and GIP where people also bitch about the liberal hivemind

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
SA is definitely aging, probably the average poster here now is in their thirties

but there's still plenty of right wing political opinions on SA, they just don't post in d&d very often or they're very patient and not rattled when a dogpile starts

i'd say political discussion in d&d is getting slightly better because even though it's mostly just a nerd version of the dozens rotten with oneupmanship at least people most ly agree on the same reality, like poor people aren't just lazy cheats and generally american military intervetion does more harm than good. back in 2003 there were bitter arguments over exactly how many WMDs we'd find in iraq

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

LF definitely sounded interesting. I'm sad that I missed it. Seems like a very colorful place.

no

no

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secular Humanist posted:

Sorry but Islam IS worse than other religions. Like, empirically worse. It's a terribly misogynistic and homophobic belief system. Being born gay or a woman in virtually any Muslim-majority country on the planet is to be born a particularly unlucky individual. And there are a lot of Muslims who would agree with this.

I really don't understand this completely irrational defense of Islam by leftists. I'm as far left as anyone else, which is precisely why I criticize Islam heavily for being as backward as it is. My suspicion is that liberals are uncomfortable criticizing some generic conception we have of "brown people". White theocracy? Have at it! Brown theocracy? No no, it's their "culture". Brown people have no agency you see, and can't do bad things. There's always a "root cause"....... Ugh.

this thread is for past bad opinions not current bad opinions. please keep your racist trash opinions out of this thread thanks

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Islam isn't a race :confused:

i'd like for you to go around and educate the millions of americans who confuse sikhs for arabs

just because you know islam isn't a race, and i know islam isn't a race, doesn't mean that there isn't tons of racist behavior exhibited towards people who 'look like' muslims

we can't just reflexively probate people who criticize Islam while yelling "racist!", that's going to do nothing to help the issue, in this thread or elsewhere.

yes we can, it helps the issue of people posting racist trash in threads

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Please don't disingenuously shift the target of your comments to justify them. You weren't responding to moron right-wingers shouting "Go back ta where ya came from, MUSLIM" at an Indian man, you were responding to someone who made some cogent and rational critiques of the religion. Another poster responded to this with a different explanation for why things are the way they are in the Muslim world; while I disagree with the poster, at least they were making an honest attempt at rebuttal. Caterwauling "racism!!!!!!!" will only impede progress on this very real issue. Nothing in this conversation was about race until you brought it up.

It is possible to respond to other people's viewpoints and remain intellectually honest at the same time.

the issue is people posting racist crap on a forum. pointing out that the post is racist is an acceptable response to the problem of "are people posting racist crap in a forum that does not generally permit racist crap"

the poster in question specifically said that leftists do not want to question brown people. if you want to continue to claim that argument has nothing to do with race then go ahead and i probably wont read that post

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i used to think everyone should forcibly be on birth control and that you'd have to take and pass a parenting examination before you gained a license to have children and your birth control removed

i still think this is an excellent idea excepti freely admit there's no way to morally enforce such a law and it's entirely monstrous and impractical

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

I know otherwise intelligent biology professors/postdocs in their 30s who have said similar things to this, basically saying that dumb (read: poor) people should be sterilized and what have you.

Basically people in general do not have much empathy for others.

i dont even think people should be sterilized, just some magical nonexistent quasipermanent birth control that can only be removed at a licensed fertility clinic. not even a eugenics thing for me like "dumb people shouldn't breed" because in my view intelligence is only loosely correlated at best with parenting skill

but oh my god there are a lot of just terrible parents out there. anyone who advocates spanking their kids because they were spanked as children. rubbish

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah totally, it's a completely impractical idea that would not work in any way in reality. still a great idea in magical theoryland where we all have a mincome and live in space colonies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bast Relief posted:

I used to think similarly when I was a kid, but now I think making birth control free if not at least cheap would do so many good things aside from preventing kids being born in a crappy situation. IUDs are great, long term, and don't require remembering to take one. After having one I felt like everyone should have this option, but drat they are expensive and not covered.

yeah we should totally cover IUD installation and maintenance free of charge for anyone who asks

• Locked thread