Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Have you seen this? Have you heard about this?

I "upgraded " to Windows 10 from 7 and I think it kind of sucks. It looks fancy, it's got some annoying new sounds, it's built for touch and mobile... by I'm on a loving desktop. It takes for ever to shut things down if I'm having a problem, it's slightly less stable than it used to be. Google apps don't seem to have a good time with it...

Was upgrading a Bad Idea? Do I need to cut my losses or just deal with the new paradigm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

It's a good OS, give it a chance man.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

whoa, this is the first i have heard of this windows 10

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

DiHK posted:

Have you seen this? Have you heard about this?

I "upgraded " to Windows 10 from 7 and I think it kind of sucks. It looks fancy, it's got some annoying new sounds, it's built for touch and mobile... by I'm on a loving desktop. It takes for ever to shut things down if I'm having a problem, it's slightly less stable than it used to be. Google apps don't seem to have a good time with it...

Was upgrading a Bad Idea? Do I need to cut my losses or just deal with the new paradigm?

gotta go back to 7

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It works fine for me. Sounds like you suck at computers OP.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
you go first ya picky bitch OP

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I did an in place upgrade from 7 and it was loving garbage rear end garbage, caused me all sorts of issues with applications, had random slowdowns, and I downgraded back to 7 until relatively recently. My suggestion is to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and do a totally fresh install via a USB drive. You can use your Windows 7 product key to activate it no problem, its fast/easy, and I've had a wayyyyyyy better experience since I installed from scratch.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

JiveHonky posted:

you go first ya picky bitch OP

you lookin to fight?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Microwaves Mom posted:

you lookin to fight?

no sir. sorry sir

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

buy a mac OP

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

i upgraded to windows 10 and unchecked a bunch of boxes and its real good now

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

JiveHonky posted:

no sir. sorry sir

apologize to the nice man too then.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its completely fine OP

whats it like having to live with aspergers on a daily basis OP? sounds exhausting.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's been fine for me. Just tell that bitch Cortana to shut up or she won't stop pinging you.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
its 2016 and u still dont know the supreme joy of posting on a forum for retards using a computron running linux. get rekt OP. rekt to the max

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Windows 10 owns and is like 7 in every way except better. It's just something people want to complain about because they think it makes them look smart with computers.

gently caress you OP, it owns

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
window 10 is for people with micropenis

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Microwaves Mom posted:

apologize to the nice man too then.

sorry OP. Windows 10 is suck, i hate it too

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
slackware linux is way better it rulz

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Haven't had a problem since I upgraded. What kind of sperg-o-tron are you running that you're encountering problems?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
This operating system is a piece of poo poo!!!!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jastiger posted:

Windows 10 owns and is like 7 in every way except better. It's just something people want to complain about because they think it makes them look smart with computers.

gently caress you OP, it owns

See here, indisputable proof windows 10 is poo poo

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Windows 98 is worse.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Windows 98 is worse.

Windows 98 can die in a fire too

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

microshaft winblows

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I remember when Service Pack 2 for Windows XP hit the stands. A bunch of spergelord idiots had a collective loving meltdown about petty rear end bullshit that didn't matter.

Boy I'm glad that doesn't happen anymore.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
there are a bunch of stupid newbie baby friendly linux distros. ubuntu if you like mac osx. mint if you like windows 7... there are so many options. okay, well, really just those two (not really there are more but im just giving yuo the gist). yo u could do LMDE which has rolling updates so you never have to install a new version ever again!!! if it makes it more appealing, some of the crappier games on steam work* with linux

*theoretically

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I haven't had any issues with Windows 10 on 3 computers, that said

the OP is right; Microsoft never really backed down from their lovely bullshit vision from 8 as opposed to making the necessary compromises to survive in the market, and they're less concerned with making a good OS as they are with keeping stockholders happy. the company is still just as dysfunctional and out of touch as it ever was

because all the stupid poo poo from windows 8 is still there, just slightly reformulated and rebranded, and they're doubling down on being anti-consumer shitheads re: being deceptive shits about the upgrade, and forcing updates thereafter

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
so if i'm happy with 7 there's no reason to upgrade right

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, windows 10 is alive? that is very disturbing.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

thunderchief posted:

so if i'm happy with 7 there's no reason to upgrade right

WRONG you can touch your screen and go directly to ebay or Bing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im still running windows 98, the only good windows platform. loving sheep

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Hold on, let me learn an arcane set of hotkeys that will be obsolete in the next version. Right after this PDF takes up my whole screen and keeps running after I hit the windows key to get back to whatever I was doing.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

gently caress A MAC. gently caress A MAC STRAIGHT IN ITS loving EAR. AT WORK I HAVE TO USE A loving MAC. gently caress MAC. gently caress STEVE JOBS. gently caress YOU. GO DIE IN A FIRE.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I installed OSX on my desktop PC because it is good and windows 10 is bad.

You really should too OP

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
tgus ios like the third loving windows 10 thread today can we maybe have a megathread for you losers to bitch in

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

error1 posted:

I installed OSX on my desktop PC because it is good and windows 10 is bad.

You really should too OP

lol osx

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

DiHK posted:

gently caress A MAC. gently caress A MAC STRAIGHT IN ITS loving EAR. AT WORK I HAVE TO USE A loving MAC. gently caress MAC. gently caress STEVE JOBS. gently caress YOU. GO DIE IN A FIRE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiVUUyNMLB8]

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
"give me one thing you can do on windows that you can't do on a mac."

"right click"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

LGD posted:

I did an in place upgrade from 7 and it was loving garbage rear end garbage, caused me all sorts of issues with applications, had random slowdowns, and I downgraded back to 7 until relatively recently. My suggestion is to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and do a totally fresh install via a USB drive. You can use your Windows 7 product key to activate it no problem, its fast/easy, and I've had a wayyyyyyy better experience since I installed from scratch.

Unironically this. Upgrade tends to break all sorts of poo poo. Upgrade, get the key and recovery media, then fresh install. Much better time

• Locked thread