Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
That's me. I also love to gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

on the recommendations of this thread I am watching the ABC episode

ten minutes in and I genuinely think it has to be staged

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Ryoshi posted:

on the recommendations of this thread I am watching the ABC episode

ten minutes in and I genuinely think it has to be staged

it overflowed into real world poo poo, so if it was staged everyone was very dedicated

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Kitchen Nightmares is SUPER formulaic but I dunno that a lot of it is actually staged. Not hard to find a restaurant opened by people with 0 industry experience who can't cook or operate a professional kitchen but think their poo poo is fantastic because their homie said so once.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Also the owner/chef/manager is an alcoholic is a really common and true to life plot point.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The restaurant industry is as hosed as they come there would be no reason to stage anything people who work in service are intrinsically broken and unhinged in a way that makes reality tv execs eyes light up

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I just wish they would focus on the lovely food and not the family drama. Call me an rear end in a top hat, but I don't care that your family has no money and you're getting divorced and your children hate you. I want to see Ramsay trash your food for half an hour, then show you how to actually cook for the other half an hour.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

OctoberBlues posted:

I just wish they would focus on the lovely food and not the family drama. Call me an rear end in a top hat, but I don't care that your family has no money and you're getting divorced and your children hate you. I want to see Ramsay trash your food for half an hour, then show you how to actually cook for the other half an hour.

Watch the UK version.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SurfaceDetail posted:

Things I think when I think goon

Good looking dude in good shape who runs marathons
wife and 4 kids
is a millionaire at the top of his profession
Is meticulous and neat
Type A
Strives every day to be the best possible and expects that of his employees
has employees

Checks out.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Watch the UK version.

Oh I have, they are great, it's a drat shame the US ones aren't the same.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

WonderfulWino posted:

gaki no tsukai absolutely tasty episodes are top tier also

Power rangers chef force

SurfaceDetail posted:

Good looking dude in good shape who runs marathons
wife and 4 kids
is a millionaire at the top of his profession
Is meticulous and neat
Type A
Strives every day to be the best possible and expects that of his employees
has employees

Sounds like Lowtax haha amirite?

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
If I rmb correctly he's actually a legit chill dude and has other shows outside of the country where he just cooks and talks and stuff. I think they did an interview where he said they told him to really play up the angry British chef gimmick.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
He does get legit mad at work but he always pushes himself twice as hard and is insanely nice by all accounts otherwise

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
I would let ramsay cornhole me if that wasnt clear already

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SurfaceDetail posted:

[...]
Type A

I'm a type 1, does that count?

cnut
May 3, 2016

SurfaceDetail posted:

I would let ramsay cornhole me if that wasnt clear already

what kind of corn?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

WonderfulWino posted:

gaki no tsukai absolutely tasty episodes are top tier also

Those are funny

squashie
Dec 31, 2000
Forum Veteran
Heston Blumenthal is far superior.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

JonathonSpectre posted:

It's to his credit he never points out that he's a multimillionaire with double-digit Michelin stars to his name while they can't keep the loving raw meat away from the cooked and haven't cleaned their stove in five years.

It's at the right spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sganHz4bVdE&t=1545s

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The number of restaurants he runs is still less boastful than Michelin stars or how many zeros in his bank account. It does appear he makes a conscious effort not to do that.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

There was one I saw recently, don't recall if it was US or UK where the lead chef sucked and they wouldn't listen to input from any of the other cooks. Gordon found one of them nearby running his own really good food truck and then had him cook for his bosses under the guise Gordon was doing the cooking to convince his bosses to let him be the head chef. I thought that was a really good mix of employee drama and actual food related stuff

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gordon: "Is there anything today that I ate that wasn't microwaved?"
Some dude: "the salad"
Gordon: "...the salad...?"
Some dude: "yeah...."
Gordon: "....."
Gordon: "You loving donut! of course you dont put a loving salad in a microwave!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5eX9q3k9A&t=75s

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i'm gonna start calling people "donut" as an insult. has a nice ring to it. thanks ramsay!

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

garfield hentai posted:

There was one I saw recently, don't recall if it was US or UK where the lead chef sucked and they wouldn't listen to input from any of the other cooks. Gordon found one of them nearby running his own really good food truck and then had him cook for his bosses under the guise Gordon was doing the cooking to convince his bosses to let him be the head chef. I thought that was a really good mix of employee drama and actual food related stuff

Hotel Hell - Season 2, Episode 1

Same episode that produced this gem of the owner trying to entertain guests by singing Cher. Gordon owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7__fW4SCAQo

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Gordon knows how to treat a lady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIesCd4I4hU

And Nigela too while were at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtS2Ikk7A9I

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiEjs7deHL4

There's one for Jamie Oliver too

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I made Ramsay scrambled eggs for the first time last week and man, it's awesome. I didn't quite get the consistency the same, but it tasted great. I also love the idea of just cooking up some shrooms w/ salt and pepper. Never thought of it, but I think I like that more than the eggs.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jose Oquendo posted:

I also love the idea of just cooking up some shrooms w/ salt and pepper. Never thought of it, but I think I like that more than the eggs.

Add some spring onion if you wanna go pro

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Was inspired by the thread to watch the amys baking company episode, did not disappoint

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

CharlestonJew posted:

Was inspired by the thread to watch the amys baking company episode, did not disappoint
I wanted to punch her dumb face.

I used Ramsay's recipe for Caesar salad dressing last night for the meal I made my dad. It was great.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Jose Oquendo posted:

I also love the idea of just cooking up some shrooms w/ salt and pepper. Never thought of it, but I think I like that more than the eggs.

Is that not a pretty common thing? Maybe my family just ate lots of mushrooms, but when I cook a steak or a big breakfast, I always do a side of sauteed mushrooms.

It's really top notch if you can find some morel mushrooms, but I haven't seen those at the grocery in ages. My dad and I used to "hunt" for them in the woods when I was a kid, and we'd slice them, dip them in for and fry them in butter. Good eats!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

JonathonSpectre posted:

It always cracks me up. Hey, yeah, the business is failing and I'm an inch from being out on the streets but it can't be because of the food! That's my food! I put that burger on the menu! What the gently caress do you mean seaweed, maple syrup, and pickled ox tail don't make sense as burger toppings?!?! WHAT DO YOU KNOW ANYWAY? This is the very finest Wagyu beef!

I love that too.

He straight up is like 'well what do you think the problem is?' and the response 90% of the time is 'the problem is there's no customers!!!' lmao

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
Show some respect for the dead.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Roylicious posted:

I love that too.

He straight up is like 'well what do you think the problem is?' and the response 90% of the time is 'the problem is there's no customers!!!' lmao
I always enjoy 'but we can't change the regulars like it!'

Ahh yes those regulars that aren't keeping you out of bankruptcy. Better cater to them instead of trying to bring fresh people in.

One of my favourite moments was I believe in the first season where they had three owners and it was clear they were just investors that were running it (into the ground) as a hobby. When Gordon ripped into them about selling Canadian lobsters as Maine Lobsters one of them went into ultra :smug: mode and told him they're the same species and they can breed and everything. He even told it to the camera again about how wrong Gordon was.

I just wish someone had asked him what he thinks about dog breeds and if you can sell a toy poodle as an Irish Wolfhound. Or just punched that guy in the face over and over. Either would have made me happy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This thread inspired me to go watch one of the more recent US Kitchen Nightmares episodes. I happened to pick one where some dude's dad literally stole his trust fund to start the business. :wtc:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This thread inspired me to go watch one of the more recent US Kitchen Nightmares episodes. I happened to pick one where some dude's dad literally stole his trust fund to start the business. :wtc:

That one was super depressing. Kid looked like he was going to have a nervous breakdown at any moment (understandably).

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist
The worst part about the ABC episode is how the husband was stealing employee tips. I'm surprised that nobody burned that place to the ground.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I really like the kitchen nightmares episode in some lovely fish restaurant in new Orleans run but two brothers who are some of the dumbest people ever

in many ways I think it's just as good as Amy's baking company

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Darkhold posted:

I always enjoy 'but we can't change the regulars like it!'

Ahh yes those regulars that aren't keeping you out of bankruptcy. Better cater to them instead of trying to bring fresh people in.

One of my favourite moments was I believe in the first season where they had three owners and it was clear they were just investors that were running it (into the ground) as a hobby. When Gordon ripped into them about selling Canadian lobsters as Maine Lobsters one of them went into ultra :smug: mode and told him they're the same species and they can breed and everything. He even told it to the camera again about how wrong Gordon was.

I just wish someone had asked him what he thinks about dog breeds and if you can sell a toy poodle as an Irish Wolfhound. Or just punched that guy in the face over and over. Either would have made me happy.

Well, it's more or less the same population too, but it's still not cool to misrepresent your product even if the difference comes down to marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Roylicious posted:

That one was super depressing. Kid looked like he was going to have a nervous breakdown at any moment (understandably).
the son was def a goon.

• Locked thread