Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

They were written by her, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
ARR Job Quests have a lot of "Fight the ARR Job Trainer or someone in equivalent fancy gear" Which requires a lot of said jobs to be dumb. Some of the jobs pull it off better than others. Paladin I think is a job that they've never really known how to write. You sure don't do a lot of Paladining. This sorta makes sense, because the name of the class in Japanese is just "Knight" which makes the quest kinda fit better... but not really.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Onmi posted:

ARR Job Quests have a lot of "Fight the ARR Job Trainer or someone in equivalent fancy gear" Which requires a lot of said jobs to be dumb. Some of the jobs pull it off better than others. Paladin I think is a job that they've never really known how to write. You sure don't do a lot of Paladining. This sorta makes sense, because the name of the class in Japanese is just "Knight" which makes the quest kinda fit better... but not really.

how much of this is whatever the Heavensward reception did that made them promote estinien to full-time main story npc and only a cameo in dragoon quests, while not having widargelt take an active role in the liberation of ala mhigo on screen at all? the sudden strict separation of important npcs from job npcs. gently caress it, make paladin 80-90 about following nanamo around on her disguise trips, make machinist 80-90 about the ironworks in ishgard.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXXVIII: Dressed for Conquest

New Music: Reflections

We've got some preparing to do before Aggro and her party can infiltrate Castrum Centri to rescue the captive Scions. Cid notes that the Imperials would notice a Magitek Armour disappearing, so some steps should be made before they carry out the plan.

To prevent this from happening, I'm going to put together a makeshift communications-jamming device. The explanation is like to get a bit technical, so bear with me.

You know the drill. I've preserved the dialogue in the video summary at the end. To sum it up, Garleans use electromagnetic waves to chat, which uses lightning aether because everything uses aether in FFXIV. Everything. Cid wants us to use one of the massive corrupted crystals in the Fogfens to the west to essentially jam their communications.

Music: Intertwined

Of course, we'll need to first identify the best cluster for the job. None of this nonsense where we get the wrong crystal twice.

We've got to use Cid's Electromagnetic Reader on five different crystals, stretching out from the cluster.

Occasionally Plasmoids will spawn, but there's nothing noteworthy about them. You'll get a single Plasmoid on the first Prime Location, and three Plasmoids on the third. That's it.

Once we've gathered intel on five different pieces of the cluster, we return to Revenant's Toll.

Music: Reflections

And that's all it takes. Cid's assignment is done, and I'm still not sure why we didn't have that at level 44. I'm sure it's a lot smoother now that they've redone the MSQ a bit.

On the plus side, we finally get another weapon upgrade. Flametongue is cool, but we're now running with a very standard Cobalt Shamshir. Non-Rogue melee jobs will get a weapon upgrade from Cid, but we'll need to speak with Glaumunt for ranged/rogue weapons.

Our Highlander pal raises a valuable point. Looking the part isn't all it takes to sell Imperial disguise. We're going to have to learn to act like a Garlean soldier, and even Cid won't be a whole lot of help there. I'm fairly sure he was never employed as a soldier.

Glaumunt suggests we observe the soldiers of Castrum Centri to pick up their behaviours. Specifically, he also wants us to note their salute.

Hmm... something tells me we'll be doing a bit more than observing them.

We're ambushed by two observant Decurions, but while they were training in the art of the Gladiator, Aggro trained in the art of the Paladin. Basically, they're chumps and die fast. Once they're dead, we interact with the Destination.

From behind cover, Aggro spots an Imperial soldier approach another.

(Imperial Sentry) Nothing to report, sir!

(Imperial Decurion) We have received an anonymous warning that insurgent forces are near. We must redouble our vigilance. I shall recommend that patrols be increased.

That was an odd exchange. At any rate, we've figured out the Imperial salute. That should be enough for now, so let's return to Revenant's Toll.

Music: Reflections

Completing the quest nets us the Imperial Salute emote, as well as a ranged/rogue weapon of our choice. No Allagan mint if you don't want any of the weapons though.

Completing both Cid's and Glaumunt's quests unlocks Sark Malark's quest, which will progress the MSQ. Sark suggests that, rather than buying them from shady and untrustworthy merchants, we should murder some Garlean soldiers for their uniform.

Aggro Crag knows no fear and storms through the Imperial barricades. Every soldier posted outside is fuel as she hungers for more of her enemy's blood. She should have rolled a Warrior. I am correcting this later.

Letting loose, Aggro slays six soldiers before retreating back to Revenant's Toll, and honestly she could have murdered more without breaking a sweat if she had needed more than three helmets and three uniforms.

Aggro hands over the helmets and uniforms.

They, umm... appear to be damaged. I guess she went a bit overboard. These probably aren't going to work, huh?

Fortunately, the thing about adventuring is that you make a lot of contacts. Sark knows some artisans who can repair the damage Aggro inflicted on the gear.

Music: Sultana Dreaming

Our first contact is in Ul'dah's Weavers' Guild, in The Steps of Thal. Aggro hands over the uniform. Wait, did he say his lord Sark Malark?

Far be it from me to question my lord's tastes, but I struggle to understand why a man of his fabulous wealth would forsake the comforts of his estate for a life of danger and hardship.

Payment? Never you mind that—sending my regards to my lord Sark Malark will be payment enough.

Next, let's get the helmet fixed.

Music: I Am The Sea

Our next contact is the guildmaster of the Armorers' Guild herself, H'naanza.

Sark Malark is the son of a successful Ul'dahn merchant. Though still tender in years, he has an eye for profit, and has made millions in his own right. Having achieved thus, he turned his attention towards his true passion—adventuring—and left the management of his fortune to trusted aides.

Lest you wonder about payment, Sark Malark has already settled the bill. Do pass along my regards when next you see him.

Music: Frontiers Within

Lest you fear that the Garleans might detect your "foreignness", foreigners in fact form the greater part of the Garlean invasion force in Eorzea.

It looks like the repairs are good enough, but here's a casual reminder that our enemy so far has been predominately conscripts from conquered lands. Many of our foes may have even been Eorzean—Ala Mhigo did fall to Garlemald 20 years ago.

Anyway, I've been silent about something, but it's time to ask Sark Malark about the whole Ul'dahn merchant prince thing. What's the deal with that?

...Hm? Why would I, a wealthy merchant, wish to help you? I know not where you heard such a tale, but believe me when I say that I am but another humble adventurer, one who desires only to act in the best interests of the realm.

I guess we'll never know more. I feel like his response makes the subject more mysterious than when H'naanza explained it to us. Anyway, with that, Aggro now has the disguises for Biggs, Wedge, and herself. All that leaves is securing a Magitek Armour.

As noted by the folks that did our repairs, the armour is style over function. It looks like Imperial uniform, but the repairs did not include fixes to the armour. We'll want to avoid a fight in our disguise as best we can.

Well, in any case. I'll see you next time when we abduct a Magitek Armour.

Chapter Summary

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So I finally took some time to play FF XIV and I´ve had a grand old time tanking with my Warrior. Thing is that I´m not sure if I should level some other job as well if I get bored with my Warrior or should I hold off until I unlock further things into the plotline? I´m currently at level 32.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The salute makes it look like Aggro is punching herself in the face, at least from that angle.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

So I finally took some time to play FF XIV and I´ve had a grand old time tanking with my Warrior. Thing is that I´m not sure if I should level some other job as well if I get bored with my Warrior or should I hold off until I unlock further things into the plotline? I´m currently at level 32.

It's pretty easy to level in this game, especially if it's a lower level job than your main. You could just continue the MSQ until you feel bored of being a Warrior or tanking, or just make a little bit of progress on the side. Honestly, it's easy enough to just play into how you feel at the time, really.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This update's going to be a bit late again. Sorry.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hey, so I just wanted to say that I'm not sure how soon I'll be back to continuing this. One of my pets (a little goldfish called River) has gotten fatally sick. He's got something called dropsy, which everything online suggests that they usually die within 20 days of having. I've been pouring all my time into making him as comfortable and happy as possible, and it's a lot of work right now. He's on day 20, and to be frank, I hope I won't have the time for this LP anytime soon.

I'll probably continue my break after the inevitable happens, but realistically, that probably isn't very far from now and we'll likely be finishing the arc before December. For the moment, he's behaving like he's still very healthy and still gets excited by my interactions and by food, but dropsy is basically a symptom of organ failure and nearly three weeks of being symptomatic tells me the failure is probably not going anywhere.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's no worries. Eorzea isn't going anywhere.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Just want to say that I'll be giving this LP one more go. It's gone on pretty long for only ARR, and a lot of the updates have become more screenshot heavy than anything else. I didn't want the cutscenes to be disjointed, but it's also made it extremely padded and I've just been far too burned to come up with interesting commentary. I genuinely have enjoyed working on it, though, but my situation changed fairly dramatically compared to when I started it and it's been pretty clear for a long while that I've struggled to keep up with it. ARR isn't exactly the best material to work with, but frankly, I've not been so good at using it either.

I'd worked up a backlog so I could post weekly, right up to the credits for ARR, but I scrapped it for one last do-over. If I can't really come up with anything interesting to say in the updates, then I'll probably call it there. DoubleNegative has a pretty good thread going anyway, so this one is fairly redundant, but it's been fun enough that I want to give it one last shot. Hopefully I can keep this last stretch interesting, or at least trim the least interesting bits a bit more. I'm sure Heavensward onwards would make it easier anyway.

I thought I'd share this update instead of leaving the thread dead, but it'll be at least a couple more weeks before anything gets posted. Thanks for coming along with me so far, even if this hasn't been too great for a while.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Take your time! I for one have enjoyed this thread immensely, as I never actually paid attention to the 2.x story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

ChickenWing posted:

Take your time! I for one have enjoyed this thread immensely, as I never actually paid attention to the 2.x story

Seconding the sentiment (even if I did pay attention to 2.0!). I really like what you've done so far, and if it takes some extra time for you to do the next update, then I'm willing to wait.