Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The dialogue in Limsa is always so colourful and I love that place for it. It has some of my favourite scenery in ARR as well, which includes the Salt Strands. Vylbrand is really neat.

Fister Roboto posted:

GHIMTHOTA: They creep ever closer to the Drydocks, so I must assume they mean to target the Victory herself.
That ship is the symbol of everything Limsa Lominsa strives to become, and I will not allow these base scoundrels to lay a single finger upon her hull.

We must apprehend them before they put their plans into motion! And you, Forename, are just the woman to do it.

Small error in there, otherwise Ghimthota is just rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is what I get for copy-pasting.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Culinarian owns and I love that quest line. Also you're insane if you don't do it first because Hasty Touch is a craftsperson's raison d'etre.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Culinarian owns and I love that quest line. Also you're insane if you don't do it first because Hasty Touch is a craftsperson's raison d'etre.

I regret not starting with that. Granted leveling Weaver first did net me the still infinitely useful Careful Synthesis II, but I feel like an idiot for not doing Culinarian until after I maxed out two other crafting classes.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Since we were having Roe name appreciation chat, I can share a few I've seen around Excalibur that weren't even goons. :v:

I've seen, in no particular order: Mountainous Mounds (FemRoe obviously), Mountain Dew (also a FemRoe I'm pretty sure), Oldfat Baldguy (which isn't remotely lore appropriate but the guy does run around bald), and I used to go by Stone Rose at one point. Then I remembered that was a band name after someone complimented me on that particular fact.

These days I run around as Dauntless Ivy because I like the <adjective> <plant> naming style for Roe.

Also worth noting - Angry Bird is technically lore appropriate if you wanted to use a name that'll make people twitch when they see it. So are most of the Metal Gear Solid codenames, so if you wanted to run around as Laughing Octopus or Psycho Mantis knock yourself out!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

I regret not starting with that. Granted leveling Weaver first did net me the still infinitely useful Careful Synthesis II, but I feel like an idiot for not doing Culinarian until after I maxed out two other crafting classes.

Yeah to most folks I'd recommend Culinarian to 15, Alchemist to 15 and if you like, Leatherworker 15. Then hit 37 (though you might as well go for 50) with Culinarian, 50 with Carpenter, 50 with Alchemist and 50 with Weaver. That gets you the basic set of cross-class skills. Goldsmith is next and the rest can be done in any order you like. Armorer and Blacksmith only have endgame cross-class skills, so do those last and only if you are planning to go supersperg about crafting.

how the gently caress do i still know all this??

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh sweet, new gear!

Next time: the Limsa Lominsa storyline is concluded.
As someone who plays these kind of games to mostly play pretty princess dressup with his characters I have to say that Freddie's new getup is quite an upgrade in looks.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

As someone who plays these kind of games to mostly play pretty princess dressup with his characters I have to say that Freddie's new getup is quite an upgrade in looks.

Glamour is the true endgame of FFXIV. I might have a thing about redoing my apartment/glamour every so often to change my looks. I might also have an album on imgur to shove into my friends' faces.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Glamour locked behind level 50 is the most disappointing thing. I understand kinda why, because they want players to see all the different types of armor but some are just really bad (See: rogue with nothing but bondage gear in the middle 30's).

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tae posted:

Glamour locked behind level 50 is the most disappointing thing. I understand kinda why, because they want players to see all the different types of armor but some are just really bad (See: rogue with nothing but bondage gear in the middle 30's).

That awkward time around level 44 where everyone is basically running around in their underwear.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Those were the segments where I opted to just stick with the lower level gear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't wait to show off what Freddie's going to be wearing at level 45.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I played this game until level 50 and beat the (level 50 spoilers)plot dungeon for that level but I just lost interest due to all of the fetch quests. I mean, sure, at level 4 they send you to pick some oranges, and I don't mind that, but at level 50 people are calling you the savior of Eorzia, and you still have to personally bring some lady's earrings to be repaired (and then to a favor for the goldsmith who repairs them). Can't they get someone else to do it? All of the content in Heavensward is gated behind these fetch quests.

Also, they made the (level 50 spoilers)final confrontation with Ultima Weapon be an 8-person raid that is part of the random queue. The only way to experience the content is to queue for it and I ended up with a bunch of speedrunners collecting tomestones who dashed through it and mulched the bosses before I had even finished watching the cutscenes. Doesn't really make for a good climax to the story.

I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

This is definitely a game that requires friends to play with- for that instance in particular. If you control more than half the party, the rest can't run off and blitz it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

apostateCourier posted:

This is definitely a game that requires friends to play with- for that instance in particular. If you control more than half the party, the rest can't run off and blitz it.

I probably would not have picked up or stuck with this game if I hadn't gotten an in with the Stormfeelers on the Ultros server

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Nebrilos posted:

I played this game until level 50 and beat the (level 50 spoilers)plot dungeon for that level but I just lost interest due to all of the fetch quests. I mean, sure, at level 4 they send you to pick some oranges, and I don't mind that, but at level 50 people are calling you the savior of Eorzia, and you still have to personally bring some lady's earrings to be repaired (and then to a favor for the goldsmith who repairs them). Can't they get someone else to do it? All of the content in Heavensward is gated behind these fetch quests.

Also, they made the (level 50 spoilers)final confrontation with Ultima Weapon be an 8-person raid that is part of the random queue. The only way to experience the content is to queue for it and I ended up with a bunch of speedrunners collecting tomestones who dashed through it and mulched the bosses before I had even finished watching the cutscenes. Doesn't really make for a good climax to the story.

They learned their lessons from that and were much better in everything after it though. For example, mid-dungeon cutscenes no longer happen after that point. Though experiencing things as not a steamroll will still require you to have some buddies, otherwise you'll get folks from the roulette who tend to massively outgear the content (though sometimes they're awful enough at the game that it balances out).

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't wait to show off what Freddie's going to be wearing at level 45.

Looking forward to it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Nebrilos posted:

That plot thing was enough for me to stop playing the game for a year. I bought another time card recently, but ran into the same thing you did and just could not take it.

But I got what I wanted out of the game. There's some neat stuff on the way there, though.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

ARR definitely has an issue with how much it's padded. I could defend it by bringing up the fact that the dev team made this game while also updating the older version for a fair part of its cycle, but it doesn't change that the story contains some pretty bad quests that I'll also likely skim over in the LP because of how boring they are.

Though I'll say that you both stopped just shy of when the story gets especially cool and good and doesn't waste your time with junk quests so often, but we'll get to that in the LP anyway.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I may or may not have my work cut out for me with the new expansion announcements. There's a lot of big changes that might hit midway through the LP. They're also pretty exciting.

e: Update should be soon but I'm a bit distracted by the cool new stuff.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 14, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter XXVII: The Alacran Ambush
Aggro's been invited to the mysterious Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters Scions of the Seventh Dawn, but has some overdue obligation to visit her class' guild.

Click to play: Sultana Dreaming

Before we actually speak to Mylla though, I would like to address something I said last time. I mentioned that Aggro's reputation feels unearned, and I still stand by that. That doesn't mean her reputation is unearned. I feel like the early game doesn't do a good job depicting how arduous her work is.

Take the Hecatoncheirs. While Aggro came out unscathed, the vastly more experienced Dolorous Bear and his party met their end in the Copperbell Mines. Those giants don't gently caress around, and the mercenary organisation Stone Torches weren't able to deal with them. Similarly, those thugs Aggro dispatched would probably cause the Brass Blades a little bit of a rough time. Because it's also trying to tutorial players completely new to the genre, early ARR has a hard time creating stake and it does suffer a little for it.

Aggro isn't the strongest around, and the main characters of today's quest are an example of how inexperienced Aggro is. Our protagonist is impressive not because she's the most incredible person ever, but because she's achieving huge feats for someone who is still new to adventuring. This will change too, but at the moment, that's the context of why people are fascinated by her.

So, anyway. It seems like there's a bit of trouble with the gladiators, and someone in the guild has taken a real beating. It seems like the assassins that are after Aldis are still hunting gladiators indiscriminately in order to find him. Hopefully this will actually lead to some plot progression soon because there's not been much advance since Aldis was introduced.

When last he contacted us by linkpearl, he said he'd try to seek shelter at the Coffer & Coffin. Take this potion and search for him there.

Mylla hands Aggro a Potent Potion, which she places in her key items inventory space. Wherever that is.

It's been a little while since we've been to the Coffer & Coffin, but it's just a short teleport away to central Thanalan.

Soundtrack ends. Ambient noises play.

The injured gladiator can be found resting next to the pub, which is also notably the hangout for many Brass Blades stationed here. He made a pretty good call.

Aggro has to hand him the potion before she can find out what actually happened. You don't interrogate a victim until you've given them some help. Aggro is a good person.

Thank you, sister. It all happened so fast... over by the tracks to the north. I don't know who attacked me, nor why they left me alive, but I daresay the answer is out there. Surely, someone saw something.

Looks like we have to go check out the tracks for any witnesses or evidence to try and track the assailant. Aggro should be fairly familiar with the tracks after the amount of janitor work she had to do for her previous job.

That helps a little, thanks!

Along the tracks, Aggro also investigates where the ambush occurred. There, she finds a peculiar ring.

It seems kind of shady, and might have something to do with the ambush. Just to be sure, Aggro shoves it in her key item pocket.

One last witness can be found in the Coffer & Coffin itself. He offers no good information, so Aggro decides to return to the injured gladiator with what she has.

Aggro shows him the ring that she found.

Picked this up by the tracks, eh? Might well have belonged to the bastard. Can't say I've seen its like before. Might be as Wymond could tell you more. You know him, don't you? 'Course, being the businessman that he is, he'll probably ask to be compensated in exchange.

Even if you're doing the Gladiator quest without starting in Ul'dah, the injured gladiator will assume you know Wymond. Anyway, I guess Aggro is teleporting back to Ul'dah.

Wymond is located almost right outside the Quicksand, so he's easy to find. I wonder what he'll charge for the information we need?

Aggro shows him the ring.

What, don't you recognize the sigil? <sigh> Godsdamned fool. Before you go stumblin' around in the brush, you ought to at least know what kind of venomous bastards'll be lurkin' within.

Well, I mean, Aggro may have achieved a lot but you met her when she arrived in Thanalan not that long ago! Of course she won't recognise it. Fortunately, Wymond is so spooked that he's less interested creating a business transaction, and more interested in shooing Aggro off.

Been a long time since Ul'dah's seen a criminal organization rise from obscurity to notoriety as quickly as the Alacran. Word is they've got connections to the Brass Blades, the Syndicate, an' gods know who else. But you didn't hear that from me. I want no part of whatever mess you an' your mates have gotten yourselves into. Understood?

This sounds like something that should be reported to Mylla.

Getting around Ul'dah is easy with the aethernet, but huh. I seem to have forgotten to attune to the Miners' Guild. Well, it's not like I've been there yet. Anyway, off to the Gladiators' Guild!

Click to play video

There's two dialogue options to choose from when talking to Mylla.

He was attacked by a member of the Alacran.
The Alacran? I find that hard to believe─but no matter.

His attackers may be headed to the Silver Bazaar.
The Silver Bazaar!? Then it must be the same gang of ruffians!

Whatever choice you pick doesn't really matter, since we reach the same point anyway. In the end, our next goal is the Silver Bazaar.

We must stop them. We'll protect the Silver Bazaar and avenge our injured guildmate, all in one fell swoop!

It's not like the Brass Blades would likely help the Silver Bazaar either, since it's a poor settlement nobody important really cares about. I guess it's up to the medieval equivalent of wrestlers to go save a ghost town.

Aldis decides to show up about now, most likely after hearing word of the assault on a guild member. Mylla doesn't seem all too pleased to see him again.

I couldn't sit idly by while you charge into battle against an enemy you know nothing about. Mylla, a responsible guildmaster would never risk the lives of her charges like this.

He's got a point. Mylla's aleady stirred up trouble and put Aggro in a lot of danger just in Aggro's initiation.

Who are you to lecture me about responsibility!?

You can't hear it in the screenshots, but you can hear those guys in the background swinging their swords around throughout the entire cutscene. It can get a little annoying. Guys, can you pipe down while your guild leader talks?

It's not that simple. More importantly, it's not your fight.

What are you saying?

They want me, Mylla. I've been fending off assassination attempts ever since I returned to Thanalan. Just stay here and let me handle this. It'll be over soon, I promise.

...Just stay here while you go off on your own, is that it?

Mylla...

Mylla throws a bit of a fit here. I don't feel like her race's version of that emote is the most appropriate for this scene, but whatever. Aldis still refuses to back down, because he's not finished explaining yet.

Mylla, wait! There's something you need to know -

Oh, hey. They remembered that Aggro was actually here to witness their quarrel the entire time. She's not had to stoically nod for a little while now.

Anyway, Aldis then walks off and we're dropped right back into the online world.

Mylla is still pretty pissed off at Aldis. Her problem with Aldis won't get resolved in this update, but let's hope it is soon. There's only two more Gladiator quests left after this.

Soundtrack ends.

Aggro has to pass by the lighthouse and hammers in western Thanalan to reach the Silver Bazaar, which is way more accessible than it was in 1.0. I fear those hammers will be flattening the ground for new residential areas for an eternity to come.

Mylla somehow already got ahead of Aggro and, oh boy, you know what that glowing effect means by this point. Keep in mind that this duty will be tuned for players a little further ahead in the main scenario than Aggro currently is.

You know something? It's still weird to me that Aggro is level 21 at this point in the story. Unlike with the original character that I still have, waiting and biding their time to get thrusted back in the spotlight once the LP catches up to them; Aggro skipped almost everything optional. I remember jumping in more FATEs and doing all the quests, and still only reaching level 20 a single quest before the level 20 main scenario quest on my main, non-LP character.

Tangent aside. Let's do this. Yes.

Click to play: A Fine Death

Without even a cutscene, Aggro is immediately placed into battle. Fortunately, the lack of an enemy list UI element means that nobody is targeting her, giving me time to get my bearings.

Stay focused! Choose your target and finish him!

The message bubble actually provides us with Mylla's full name - Mylla Swordsong. I wonder if that's just her stage gladiator name?

There are currently two enemy types on the field. The Charity of the Alacran are basically just enemy gladiators, while the Temperance of the Alacran are Lancers - like the class TiamosLoren played in our dungeon foray together.

They fight exactly like you'd expect. Aggro has to single her targets out, picking them off one-by-one. There's no point using the enmity combo here unless you want to save some Novice Gladiator's life, which you might want to do because that's more DPS on the enemy.

Once Aggro deals with a bunch of Alacran members, a few more spawn in. This time two of them target Aggro, and they're both new enemy types.

The first enemy Aggro should focus on is the Kindness of the Alacran. The healer of the enemy party. There's two of them, and they'll heal each other if you're not careful. Aggro makes sure to Stun one while overpowering the other. The longer you leave these two alive, the more this fight will drag out and the more likely your allies will die.

Next to them are some Diligence of the Alacran. They're Archers, so they do a lot of damage but go down very quickly. Not really a threat at this point.

At this point, the battle reaches its final phase. A swarm of enemies will pour in from the Silver Bazaar gates and Mylla runs ahead to fight.

The final wave includes a bunch of thaumaturges. They are dangerous. They can cast Fire II (or Fira in the Japanese version), which is an AoE around their target. Aggro needs to keep a little bit of distance from her allies or else she'll have more than the two casters on her enemy list to worry about. Her health dropped to critical really fast here, with two Thaumaturges casting the single target Fire spell for about 140 damage, and then Fire II hitting for about 80.

Thaumaturges are no joke. Aggro has to get rid of the ones targeting her immediately.

gently caress your Fire II. You'll notice that Aggro's HP has recovered. That wasn't me using Potions (though pack those for this fight because you could get really unlucky). Mylla actually knows a little bit of conjury herself and will throw some Cures at Aggro if she gets to critical HP. She's not very good at healing herself though.

The bastards can also use Blizzard II (Blizzara) to bind you on the spot. This doesn't let you change your directional facing either, so don't expect to attack any enemies behind you once you've killed the one in front of you. Fortunately, Aggro is good at murder and clears the field before any Blizzard IIs can be cast.

The duty is considered finished once all the remaining Alacran have been disposed of.

Click to play video

The blood sport athletes celebrate their successful slaughter in the middle of the night and in the town's center. This won't look bad at all.

Soundtrack ends.

It doesn't look like it's over yet, as a man in purple uniform climbs down some stairs from the roof of a nearby building. Mylla gasps at the reveal of some plot, and our main antagonist for the rest of this storyline.

Click to play: Fracture

Two impatient Gladiators decide that they'll be the ones to save the day sacrifice themselves. It doesn't go well.

No, stop!

With the way this Pugilist leaps through the air and takes out her foes, I'd like to think her role would be different if Rogue had been released at launch.

Leave her, Zana. Our business here is over.

The camera then zooms in on the new villain's weapon, revealing that it's the same as Aldis' sword. Remember, Aldis' identity was figured out by a pirate simply because of his own sword.

It also looks like he's associated with our companions.

Still shocked, Mylla storms off while leading a retreat for the wounded back to the guild. They kind of just ditch Aggro, but the confrontation has left more questions than answers. We should probably return to the guild and find out who the hell Leavold is.

I don't think I've shown off the teleport animation proper, before.

Click to play video

Aldis faces Aggro to finally explain a bit of the situation.

Leavold and I once fought side by side in the Coliseum - the Twin Swords of Nald'thal, they called us. Never lost a match, honored by the Bull of Ala Mhigo himself - but that was then and this is now.

The Bull of Ala Mhigo is Raubahn, by the way. I can't remember if that's come up before.

When I learned Leavold single-handedly transformed the Alacran from a gang of common thieves into the most feared criminal organization in Thanalan, I knew I had to return. It seems like a lifetime ago that the three of us used to train together in this hall...

The Leavold I knew would never stoop so low. He was a good man, strong and true! What would drive him to do this?

When I find him, I'll be sure to ask. Unfortunately, he seems determined to kill me for my curiosity.

What aren't you telling me, Aldis?

I'm not clever enough to keep secrets, my dear. I'm a simple man, only capable of dealing with what's right in front of me. I'll find him, Mylla. I promise.

With those parting words, Aldis departs from the Coliseum.

The quest also ends kind of awkwardly by slapping the reward screen over Mylla's face. In any case, Aggro will finally get some level equivalent gear.

O-oh...

So, let's use this as a moment to actually discuss equipment a little more. Until now, it's been fairly straight forward and there wasn't really anything to discuss. New equipment at a higher level was better than old equipment at a lower level. This isn't really the case anymore, but there's consistent reasons why. To discuss that, we're going to utilize a new Quality of Life feature that was added just two weeks ago.

This is the high quality version of the Iron Cuirass, which I can view by pressing Ctrl or L2 when focused on the item (pressing this on an HQ item will show its NQ equivalent). Notice that this one is actually an upgrade. To put it simply, normal quality gear is pretty poo poo.

While each equipment has a level requirement, they also have an item level. The Plundered Cuirass has a higher item level than its requirement, but this just affects the upper limit for any of the stats on it. I've discussed that before, but high quality equipment and dungeon equipment tend to hit those upper limits. Normal quality doesn't. The result? The only upgrade here is the boots (which replaces Aggro's NQ level 15 boots). Even the shield is worse.

Also, no. That's not a picture of the stat caps on any of the gear at this level. You need to be able to meld materia to view this screen, so we're looking at the stat caps of something much later.

Another useful little feature that was added recently (though not as recent as the NQ/HQ toggle) is the best equipment button on the character screen. Clicking the far left button opens up another window...

... which will show your best equipment and offer to replace anything that can be. It's a handy thing, which leaves even less reason to care about secondary stats right now. I promise I'll get to them later, since you can probably figure the most important detail just by their name alone.

One last thing: Aggro leveled up again and finally got another new ability, which will probably be one of the most important abilities in her arsenal.

The effect allows you to generate enmity for a target equal to the aggro'd target +1. Basically, if someone else has 300 enmity, Provoke will generate 301 enmity on the target. It's not very useful on its own because any action from that other player will immediately grab aggro again, but it's an off-cooldown and can be used alongside something like Shield Lob to sustain hate. If Aggro was already the enemy's target, then it'd generate only +1 enmity which even her own buffs generate more than.

We're going to end this week on a bit of a vote. Aggro has a fantastic opportunity right now, but isn't very sure about accepting the offer just yet. There are many things in her adventuring life that she's not tried.

I want everyone to vote on one crafting class, and Miner or Botanist. The crafting options are: Carpenter, Leatherworker, Goldsmith, Blacksmith, Armorer, Weaver, Alchemist, and Culinarian. The voting will end on Wednesday.

For those unfamiliar with those classes: don't worry. Aggro is capable of doing all of them at some point, and crafting is the same for each class. The only difference is the storyline (which we won't see for a while and there's no clues about in the game anyway), and the items they can make. You should be able to figure out what they produce by name alone. We also won't be using them for Aggro's Gladiator class anyway (unless you vote Blacksmith, which only changes a small thing at level 50 for her). See you then!

All videos

Provoke's tooltip has had a bit of controversial history. When I first started this LP, Provoke's effect was described on the tooltip as, "Gesture threateningly, increasing enmity in target." They eventually fixed this in 2015 by changing the description to "Gesture threateningly, maximizing enmity in target." This was still bad. They then changed the description to what we have today just five months later. It was never really very good at being clear, and it got a lot of misuse.

It also didn't used to be possible to compare equipment like this either. "Item Comparison" was only added into a menu in version 2.38 (which was released shortly after the original LP started, if I recall correctly). If you were given a quest reward screen in a cutscene, it actually wasn't possible to compare attributes until after you'd gotten the item and looked yourself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Culinarian and Botanist, so we see a little bit more of the other cities (also Culinarian story is good)

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

HenryEx posted:

Culinarian and Botanist, so we see a little bit more of the other cities (also Culinarian story is good)
Yeah, I agree on that

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I'd vote armorsmith and miner, because looking good is important.

Also some people like the armorsmith story.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013
I will preface this with two things:
1- I have a strong gut feeling as to what the L50 thing is, but under no spoiler policy, I won't bring it up beyond that.
2- I am, sadly, one of those people who tends to do everything and applies logic to every circumstance, even down to choosing what order to learn/level my classes.

So with that in mind, I am going to be going for Blacksmith and Miner.

I also might cover two others in a similar format, with Crash's permission, depending on these choices at least - likely whichever gatherer class Crash doesn't get and another from the crafter list. Mostly so we can benefit off of each other for any crossovers that might be required in terms of supply/demand.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I do plan to do all the crafters at some point anyway, since I aim to show off what the ARR end-game for crafting was like. That's a way off, and anyone covering the other classes saves me a lot of work so you're more than welcome to do an LP for them.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Agreed here.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'll say Miner and Culinarian, why not.

So is there a way to convert normal quality gear into high quality? Otherwise, what's the point in having a toggle that shows you the HQ stats if the item isn't HQ? Just to taunt you with what you don't have?

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I'll say Miner and Culinarian, why not.

So is there a way to convert normal quality gear into high quality? Otherwise, what's the point in having a toggle that shows you the HQ stats if the item isn't HQ? Just to taunt you with what you don't have?

Culinarian works best with Botanist, sadly.

Also, no. You can go HQ -> NQ, but not the other way. The point is for tooltips when crafting. Before, if I wanted to make a Supramax Potion of Intellect, I could only see the stats for a Normal Quality one, and not a High Quality. With the change to let me see the HQ stats, I can now better gauge and compare the items I craft (including gear) without having to go to external sites to see the stats.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Culinarian and Botanist. We can learn to cook, and also grow our own stuff to cook with.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Carpenter and Botanist.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Culinarian and Botanist

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I won't be doing an arcanist post this week because I'm still recovering from Fanfest. Unfortunately I can't really talk about it much here without venturing into spoiler territory, but I made a post in the MMO thread if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3726685&perpage=40&pagenumber=1301#post465445921

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I was hoping to see a write up on Fanfest and I wasn't disappointed. I caught a lot of it on stream and it looked like a blast too, so I'm glad to read that it lived up.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm amused that Fisher isn't even an option. Weaver and Miner

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Alright, voting is closed. The winners are Culinarian and Botanist (by one vote), which we'll be seeing in the next update. I'll get recording it in the morning. I'll show them off alongside Fisher, since they all work differently from each other.

Also, today marks the start of the halloween seasonal event - All Saints' Wake! The new event is pretty neat, but since a lot of people in this thread already play the game I figured I could visit an older iteration of the event. I actually have the first ARR event from the original LP that I'll repost in the contents, but how would you all feel about any more between updates? I've got the 2014 and 2015 events footage lying around on one of my drives.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013
Hm...so with those results, I would be going with Miner as my gatherer. Let's see what RNG decides for my crafter...

:rolldice:

...Alchemist?! poo poo. One of the ones I'm not good with. (Admittedly, two of my worst on my main are Alchemist and Culinarian - alongside Blacksmith and Armorer for some reason...)

Well this should be interesting. Regarding updates from Crash, I feel that it's your choice as to what you want to showcase. It would be neat to relive events I've gone through and see those that I never got around to, so I won't say no to seeing more stuff, though it is entirely your choice - there's a lot on the platter as it is. As for myself, if I can get a break in the next week, I might stream the event (I won't post it here though when I do, as spoilers for story might happen too). As for my gathering/crafting updates, I'll see when they would best fit in the thread and post them up during times of quiet.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

TiamosLoren posted:

Hm...so with those results, I would be going with Miner as my gatherer. Let's see what RNG decides for my crafter...

:rolldice:

...Alchemist?! poo poo. One of the ones I'm not good with. (Admittedly, two of my worst on my main are Alchemist and Culinarian - alongside Blacksmith and Armorer for some reason...)

Which gatherer helps Alchemist more, anyway? I know Miner helps them at least a little bit, but I'm not sure whether Botanist does anything for them.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

AweStriker posted:

Which gatherer helps Alchemist more, anyway? I know Miner helps them at least a little bit, but I'm not sure whether Botanist does anything for them.

Both help in their own way: Even starting out, both of those gathering classes have something to give to an Alchemist. I will cover it a little bit on my write-up, but generally the crafting and gathering classes are interestingly interdependent on each other for several things. Sadly, it gets taken too far by blocking off content under the guise of "specialisations".

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter XXVIII: Aggro Takes Cooking Classes

Click to play: I Am The Sea

Hello, and welcome to Dining with Aggro. Today, we're visiting the esteemed Bismarck, located in Limsa Lominsa's Upper Decks. It's known through-out Eorzea as the place to be, and is named after a nefarious sea creature in Eorzea that is known for swallowing everything in its path. Aggro will be working here to experience just how these high class Chefs craft the delicacies that they do.

Unfortunately, their cooking stations aren't just open to anyone. Aggro will have to infiltrate their ranks as a member of the Culinarians' Guild.

Looking to join the guild, Aggro first speaks to Charlys. In order to join any other guild and unlock their respective class, you must always first talk to a receptionist.

...Oh, you're not a patron? Might I assume, then, that you wish to become a culinarian? If so, I wholeheartedly recommend you join the Culinarians' Guild, where one may learn the culinary arts under the finest chefs in all the realm. What say you?

Players will always get two chances to bail out from unlocking a quest, for whatever reason. The first choice determines whether you accept the quest or not - before you choose to accept or decline the quest. If you say no:

Oh... Please accept my apologies─it would seem I misread your intentions. If you are here to dine after all, our waiters shall attend you at table. I hope you enjoy your meal.

He'll also comment on leaving the doors open, which all receptionists will do. Of course, Aggro says yes.

Wonderful! Then without further ado, I shall acquaint you with the history of our guild.

There's a lot of text here, so I'll just cut it short and you can take a look at the all cutscenes bonus video at the end of the update if you want to read it. Basically, Limsa Lominsa is the capital of food and culture in Eorzea, with a lot of great farmland and ocean surrounding it. A pirate Admiral named Guolskyf Bhaldwaensyn aka "Mastcleaver" decided to catalog every noteworthy recipe. In the end, he founded the guild and codified cooking methodologies.

Expect all of the guilds have this much dense information whenever Aggro joins one. It's pretty neat though.

Once a receptionist is done dumping info on the player, they'll then require you to speak to them again to give you a bit of respite. This is actually when we can accept the quest.

The quest itself will reward Aggro with some crystal shards and a new "weapon" of sorts.

Culinarians wield Skillet Pans. And yes, you can use it in battle. You just won't be very good without any primary attribute buffs. We'll discuss its stat bonuses and the crystal shards shortly.

Wonderful! Then you must speak to Guildmaster Lyngsath at once. This will come as no surprise, but he is the finest chef in Limsa Lominsa. His skill and dedication are second to none. You will find the guildmaster up the stairs yonder, keeping a watchful eye on his charges.

Alright. It's time to go meet with this master chef!

...Bah! What's an underfed whelp like you know about cookin'? Judgin' by them scrawny arms o' yours, ye'd struggle to lift a spoon, never mind a skillet!

I'm sorry, but there's no way that Aggro could look like an underfed whelp. I put her muscle meter beyond 50%. :colbert:

...Hahaha! I jest, I jest... <sigh> It don't take muscle to be a culinarian. 'Ells, it don't even take talent - 'least not on its own. No, lass, more'n anythin' else, becomin' a good cook boils down to passion. If ye got that, there ain't nothin' ye can't achieve. So tell me... 'ave ye got it?

This is the third time that the game's given Aggro a choice on whether to join the guild or not. You'd be forgiven for thinking that picking a crafting class was super important and that you can only have one, but this is the same for any other class you can swap too.

Having so many choices has given Aggro time to doubt joining the guild, so she says no.

Lyngsath looks shocked and offended. Okay, okay. Yes.

An' ye'll be needin' every bit of it if ye want to become a master culinarian. Why, if mastery was a twelve-course dinner, I'd 'ardly 'ave finished the soup. But enough talk - what do ye call yerself?

Aggro doesn't even act like she's saying anything this time, so Lynsgath presumably reads her nameplate that's visible for other players.

Well then, Aggro, welcome to the guild. To mark the occasion, I present ye with yer very own skillet.

It's taken us 28 updates to unlock a second class in this game that has a central feature about being more than one class, but hey, that's partly my fault. I wanted to hold out until we unlocked all the regions and the story calmed for a moment. Since this is the first time Aggro has unlocked another class in the LP, let's actually look at how the armory system works.

First thing's first: I make sure that Aggro doesn't have any equipment with a level requirement higher than 1, and that she has equipment that fits a Disciple of the Hand - which is the game's name for a crafting class. I just put her in her default Roegadyn gear.

Next, all I need to do is swap her weapon out with the Culinarian one. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, but your class is determined by your weapon. The result is that you can freely swap class to any other one that you have unlocked simply by equipping the appropriate tool. It's pretty neat, and saves traveling back to the Inn in a fashion similar to Final Fantasy XI's implementation.

Now, you'd think it might be rather cumbersome to have to change all of your equipment again whenever you want to swap class, but there's a convenient gear set system in place.

We've looked at this before, but we're ignoring the best equipment button on the left. Beside it, and beside the gear set labels, is what looks like a note. This opens up a separate window containing your gear sets. The refresh button will also update your currently equipped gear set with what you have equipped.

In this instance, Aggro is actually a thaumaturge right now (I was using it for a FATE grinding seasonal event). If I were to hit reload, then it would replace my Thaumaturge set with my Culinarian set, while keeping the name. This isn't very helpful here, but it's useful when you've gotten a better piece of gear for your current class. If I'd gotten a cool new staff then I could update the Thaumaturge set to use that instead.

You can use the plus button on the gear set to add a new gear set to your list, recording your current equipment set and generating the name based on your class and average item level. Gear sets can be used to swap for a very quick class swap that won't leave Aggro naked and embarrassed. You can create multiple sets for each class, and your gear set limit increases for each new class unlocked.

Basically, your gear set window is your class or costume change window. It's good. You can also add gear sets to your hot bar so you can swap class without going into the character menu.

Anyway, let's try talking with Lyngsath again.

A culinarian lives an' dies by 'is utensils. Get that into yer 'ead afore ye do aught else, or yer food'll look like shite, an' taste worse. Now, let's see what ye can do.

Hopefully not something that looks like shite and tastes worse.

For starters, I want ye to make me maple syrup usin' yer skillet. Recipe's as simple as they come. Ye only need two things: maple sap an' a fire shard. Now, time's a-wastin', so get to work! It don't pay to keep folk waitin' in our trade!

Alright, so for Aggro's first craft she is going to need some Maple Sap. Fortunately, the guild supplier will often carry all the ingredients she'll need for the first ten to fifteen levels. The Maple Sap only sets her back 3 gil per sap, so this should always be affordable. I pick up a few to be sure that Aggro can reach the level I want her to shortly.

In order to craft, Aggro will need to use the crafting log that she just unlocked. A list of craftable recipes are given, and selecting one will show you the materials required. Lets break this down a little bit more. For a start, we can ignore the entirety of the left cell right now. That all kind of speaks for itself anyway.

It's easy to miss, but you can actually scroll through this menu. Aggro is able to craft items up to 4 levels higher than her own current level. Once she levels up, she'll have access to the 6 - 10 recipe level category in the previous image. Characteristics can be ignored for now.

On the right side of the log, you can see more information regarding the selected item. The difficulty, durability, and quality values will make sense in a moment. Notice that there's a number on the item's image, showing that Aggro will receive three Maple Syrup for this craft.

Lastly is the ingredients list. There's some convenient numbers at the top to tell you how many of the final product that you actually have, and how many your current ingredients will let you craft. Each craft requires crystal shards to serve as a catalyst. For Maple Syrup, only 1 Fire Shard is needed. Similarly, only 1 Maple Sap is required. Both are consumed after the first ability of the craft, disregarding some exceptional situation.

Clicking synthesize will initiate the craft.

Beginning the craft will ready Aggro in position, and pop up a crafting window. This may look like a bit much, but we'll break it down as we go. For what its worth, Condition can be outright ignored for a while. That will only come up later.

As a level 1 Culinarian, Aggro only has access to one ability. Basic Synthesis will increase the progress of the craft, but there's also a 10% chance of failure. As for efficiency, that's the crafter equivalent of potency.

There's a nice animation for using it. After executing the synthesis, let's take a look at the results.

The goal is to try and fill the progress gauge to finish the craft. It looks like it will take Aggro two Basic Synthesis to create her Maple Syrup. This is good, because attempting to progress will also result in a loss of 10 durability. If the item's durability reaches zero, then it breaks and Aggro fails to craft it, but she would need to fail at using Basic Synthesis three times. Also, it's worth noting that the total progress matches the difficulty value of the recipe.

Since Aggro has no way to improve the quality of the item right now, let's go ahead and complete that craft.

As a Culinarian, Aggro can create meals which can provide a buff for 30 minutes. Food always gives a 3% exp buff, but there's a variety of different secondary stat buffs as well as Vitality (HP) and Piety (MP). Unfortunately, the Maple Syrup isn't actually a meal but an ingredient, so it doesn't provide anything. Aggro will be able to use it in future crafts. Also, HQ meals will actually give a bigger buff as well. This can actually make Culinarian a good crafting class to pick up early in the game.

Since we're done with the Maple Syrup, let's speak to Lyngsath.

Handing the guildmaster his Maple Syrup will begin a cutscene where he'll inspect the item. You can expect to see similar cutscenes with every crafting class quest.

The maple syrup's ready, is it? About bloody time! Let's see 'ow it tastes, then...

As ye prob'ly know, maple syrup's one o' the most popular sweet'ners around, an' a key ingredient in all manner o' cakes an' treats. What ye prob'ly didn't know is that boilin' the stuff down gets ye maple sugar, a different sweet'ner with different uses.

I didn't know either of that, Lyngsath! Thank you for the cooking tips! I'm really clueless about cooking in real life. I'm almost anime bad at it.

Jus' goes to show, even the simplest ingredients can 'ave 'idden complexities. I said earlier that a culinarian lives an' dies by 'is utensils. Well, that's just the 'alf of it. Keep yer nose to the stove, an' report back when yer ripe fer another task.

Completing the quest gives Aggro a level up, which takes me to another thing. While it's possible to tackle recipes that are a higher level, you incur a penalty for it. Leveling up makes it easier to do higher level recipes by virtue of the level alone.

Aggro was also rewarded with a new equipment for her body slot. The hempen kurta provides a +18 bonus to craftmanship, which affects progress gained. Crafters also have two other stats: CP (or Crafting Points) which can be consumed like MP, and Control. Control affects quality, so we'll get to that.

The craftmanship bonus is enough to now finish the level 1 crafts in a single step.

Crafting items on your log randomly isn't the best way to get exp, but it's a pretty suitable way of doing it right now. The game tracks each item Aggro has already crafted, and gives bonus exp for finishing an item that she hasn't yet crafted.

Culinarian is one of my least favourite crafting jobs. Each of the classes function the same, but the ingredients for a lot of meals is quite often obnoxious. They usually come from a bunch of different areas and sources, and the recipes aren't as consistent as ones from, say Blacksmith, which features common ingredients like bronze ingots for a period of time.

Some recipes may also require items that need to be crafted, so there can be a lot to take track of. For example, the Frumenty needs a Honey, but Honey needs to be crafted. It's possible to require crafted items from different pages in the crafting log, or even different crafting classes. Fortunately, they quality of life of crafting has improved significantly since launch.

Right clicking an item in the log gives a few choices. Search for Item checks your inventory and retainers for the item, and even tells you what tab it's in. You can also search using the crafting method, which basically finds the recipe for the item selected. Copy item name is what it says, while link allows the item to be added to chat with a hoverable tooltip.

Also, it was asked in the thread so this is a good time to discuss it too. The function to toggle the HQ and NQ of an item lets you preview the HQ version before you craft it. It's really useful for crafting.

Aggro learns Basic Touch when she hits level 5.

Basic Touch is how she'll be increasing the quality of the items that she crafts. It's also the first ability that will use her CP, and has a 100% efficiency. Rather than using the Craftmanship stat like Basic Synthesis, this efficiency is dependent on Control. It has a lousy success rate though. With a 30% chance to fail, I'll be seeing a lot of durability loss for nothing.

Basic Touch also has its own animation. This is cool, because every crafter has their own version of Basic Synthesis and Basic Touch, but they all animate it differently. It would be easy not to.

Aggro only produces 34 Quality out of the 314, which gives her a 3% chance of creating an HQ Maple Syrup. Because Aggro has literally 0 Control, she isn't very good at producing high quality products. Also, don't expect to have a 50% chance of HQ with a half-full bar of Quality.

There isn't too much more to crafting right now, but as Aggro levels up and masters Culinarian, she'll obtain new abilities for increasing, using the Condition, reducing durability cost or recovering it, etc. There's a lot here and crafting can get pretty complex, even if it's as simple as just watching two gauges fill right now.

Looking at the Maple Syrup in the crafting log again, we can see that the 312 Quality has a blue number above it. This is because you can use HQ materials as ingredients, which will boost the quality right at the start of the craft. It can only go as high as half of the max quality value, so using an HQ Maple Sap would only get the Quality gauge to 156.

As with any other class quests, the next one unlocks on every fifth level. For crafting classes, the level 5 quest will provide a secondary tool which may be used in animations instead of the primary tool - as well as providing stat bonuses to Control and Craftmanship. They're pretty good, but spoiler: this quest requires a fish to complete. While Aggro can stop by the market board, perhaps being self-sufficient would be better? This is in no way an excuse to hold off on using the market board until a coming update.

Next time, Aggro tries a couple of different Disciple of the Hand, or Gathering, classes.

All Dialogue video.

Crafting used to be a little bit of a pain in the original release of A Realm Reborn. There was no search tool in the crafting log, and the context commands for a recipe didn't exist. Hell, searching by recipe was only added in the first Heavensward update.

Things were a little bit different in 1.0. For a start, primary attributes actually mattered for crafting. For Culinarians, Mind would affect when the success rate of HQ'ing the item with the Skillet, while Piety would affect the secondary tool's HQ rate. Weather and moon phase could also affect crafts.

There was also no crafting log. You used to have to place the ingredients into a menu until you had what you need to start crafting. I never tried crafting in 1.0 personally, so my information on it is pretty limited.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ah, CUL, honestly my favorite profession, and possibly one of the most consistently useful. If I had to make a complaint, it's just that at end-game, much of the vendor-only materials don't come in HQ formats, making it much more of a pain in the rear end to make HQ goods, compared to the other classes which do get purchasable HQ versions.

For those who don't care about spoilers the blog Eorzean Eats is a blog attempting to craft all of the recipes in the game (while also going to Law School, so updates can be sparse).

Honestly, I enjoy the food items in this game because they are, for the most part, actual recipes that you can make! All with descriptions that sound delicious~ :allears:

Also what's neat is that since each secondary stat + Piety gets a food catered to it, including the stats for Disciplines of the Hand and Land, there are different 'families' of meals. For instance, all the Piety giving foods are actually drinks, like Orange Juice, or even Eggnog!

As far as animations go too, there's actually a few for each class, covering different skills. One that Crash is going to unlock soon can have a slightly distinct animation compared to similar skills. And it can also look amusing too. Another thing that you don't get in .gif format is that the sound effects for crafting can be modulated. This is most apparent in metal-working classes.