Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Glad to see this thread back! I'll probably never get around to playing XIV, so it's nice to see a bit of what I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ah, so you can just drink a potion to change your race and gender, and didn't have to replay from the start? Handy. And what is this race, exactly? Some kind of giant... bear people?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'm going to go against my optimizing instincts and vote to talk to Raubahn.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

They weren't kidding when they said nobody can use it anymore. How does Highwind Skyways stay afloat?

With giant gasbags, it looks like. :haw:

Fister Roboto posted:

He's pretty obviously modeled after Grahf, one of the main antagonists of Xenogears:

Maybe some, but the Garleans seem more than a little inspired by FFXII's Judges.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I assume the gold saucer's not really much use until you can start breeding chocobos.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Haha, I didn't know breeding chocobos was actually a thing in FFXV. Guess I should've guessed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

PARTY FINDER UNLOCKED

Party finder unlocked

party finder unlocked

Thanks for clearing that up, game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You know, I think the thing that's kept me from having any real interest in playing MMORPGs is the interface. Just look at this loving mess.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

It looks more messy because that UI is designed for a different resolution. There's not actually too much more there than what's in, say, final Fantasy XII, if you break it down.

I've considered removing the flying text for the LP, but it sometimes gives useful information. I'll see what more I can cut to make it all easier to digest.

Oh no, don't change your setup for me; I can mostly follow what's going on. It's just not something that appeals to me, trying to keep track of everything going on all the time while playing.

I see a big difference between these two:

and as people are pointing out, the latter isn't even a bad example of an MMO interface, or even bad for XIV I'm sure, since it's still so early and your abilities and buff/debuffs are probably limited.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Minor lore note: For Seekers of the Sun, the clan that Y'Shtola belongs to, the first letter of their name actually denotes their tribe. So in this case it's short for Shtola of the Y Tribe, although only people who are very close to her would call her Shtola. Similarly, K'Lyhia would be Lyhia of the K Tribe.

And yes, there are 26 tribes, one for each letter of the alphabet.

How very convenient.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I've seen that outfit before somewhere....

Mustache is a little different, though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

The hecatoncheirs are named after the Hekatonkheires from an early stage of Greek mythology. Their name basically means hundred-hands, and they were three giants that surpassed even the Titans. They later guarded the gates of Tartarus - which was the prison for the titans (and admittedly, a bit more than that). Also, Hecatoncheirs was the name of a Final Fantasy XIII summon or something, but gently caress that game.

Hecatoncheirs have an older FF pedigree than XIII- they were a boss in FFIII! http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hecatoncheir_(Final_Fantasy_III)

Only had two hands there, too. He looked like a He-Man reject in a speedo and cape.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Boy howdy, people sure like to tell you how great you are a lot in this game. The ego-stroking could probably stand to be dialed back a few notches.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'll say Miner and Culinarian, why not.

So is there a way to convert normal quality gear into high quality? Otherwise, what's the point in having a toggle that shows you the HQ stats if the item isn't HQ? Just to taunt you with what you don't have?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So foods provide stat-boosts? Very temporary stat-boosts, I assume? Is that all this crafting class is good for? Kind of an alchemy skill like in Elder Scrolls games?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Poor Crash's adventuring career didn't work out, and now he's got to make ends meet working for more successful adventurers. Pretty tragic.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I haven't seen a single laundromat yet, but Aggro should really wash her gear after hauling around a bunch of water-logged rotting corpses. This sure is a corpsey quest line.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Why do MMOs have such high level requirements. In pretty much every other Final Fantasy you're going through the final dungeon by the time you're level 50.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, do Culinarian, and continue your quest to become an Iron Chef.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So CAN you actually escape via the waterway, or is that just flavor text and you have to hang out until the boss battle?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Wonder how they tell if someone is tempered. Do tempered people become so zombie-like that they're incapable of lying? Clearly tempering doesn't ALWAYS take (see Aggro), so what's stopping tempered folks from just saying "I guess it didn't work on me, because I'm fine!"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The speeches were all pretty much the same, so you gotta go with the most stylish. Also I guess they have easy port access to the Waking Sands? Maelstrom.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I have a feeling XIV is going to include every series staple, reference, and meme before we're through!

And oh man, Neir Automata is out already? Wish I had time to play games.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 7, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Clearly we need to name our steed after the most famous of FF Chocobos: Bobby Corwen.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

While I'm working on a different part of the update, would anyone prefer to change their vote or are you all fine with Bobbycorwen?

Hmm, could you capitalize the 'C', at least? BobbyCorwen?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

What kind of naming Nazi thought letting you capitalize as you see fit was UNACCEPTABLE. Whatever, Bobbycorwen is fine.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Charlett posted:

This part is only a slog because they keep saying you're going to be pranking the poo poo out of everyone and then they make you do more fetch quests. :(

So perhaps it is you who are being pranked, eh?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I still maintain this is all an elaborate prank by the Slyphs to have you running all over wasting your time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So while we're killing time, maybe someone can enlighten me (on something that is maybe obvious or was explained and I forgot? I dunno). The LP keeps making reference to "1.0" of the game, and I thought it said the storyline only went as far as Ifrit? But it also talks about it including the stuff from this area?

So, like, content- and story-wise, what was the deal with 1.0? I take it the story was "different" in that it branched off to do the cataclysm stuff. But was it mostly the same up until then? Was the world all there but the quests weren't active? Did it the story get to a certain point and then just "stop" with nothing to do? I'm not really familiar with MMORPGs, so it's all a bit hazy to me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

She couldn't find the broom, OK?! Get off her back.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So wait, the new Anticipation ability increases Parry by 30%, but Parry has been removed?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kind of an odd premise for a show, but I've heard pretty positive things. How's that update coming?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ah, exploring the old Windows Screensaver Dungeon. Needs more random encounters.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I can't imagine trying to remember almost anyone from this game, since so far the quests seem to go like:

Minfilia: "We need more information, so you should seek out X"
X: "I'm afraid I can't help you, but you should talk to Y"
Y: "My hands are tied, but my sister's nephew Z should be able to help."
Z: "I'd help you, but Z-alpha just wandered into the woods! We need to save him!"
Z-alpha: "I came searching for my daughter Z-beta, and I can't leave until we find her!"
Z-beta: "I need medicine for my cat, which we can only get by killing that group of mobs over there."

Yeah, no, I'm not going to remember Y when they show up again later.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Gil.... sellers? Isn't gil money? How do you sell money?

Also, they couldn't have telegraphed that ambush by Wilred any more. I hope nobody ever stumbled into that unaware.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So how far through the "main story" is this? My only real experience with XIV is through Final Fantasy Record Keeper, and Hauke Manner seemed pretty early on, but you've been going through the game for a long time now.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sure, I'd be interested in seeing what the PvP is all about.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Maybe it's more straightforward when you're playing it, but good god the many systems in this game seem overly complicated. Maybe that's just an MMO thing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, go for healer with maybe a smattering of defender. Seems like Aggro has the defender part handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Clearly Tidus is a water primal, not an earth one. What a dope.