Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That MP limit really, really hurts this early on, especially given how effective Flash is compare to your combo.
You do get an MP restoring combo, but I don't think I ever used it.
No seriously, not even in trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gloomy Rube posted:

And yet, I still see people using nothing but the MP combo when doing the first dungeon :v:

im triggered

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Unguided posted:

What flavor of Honest Healer were you stuck with, the kind that keep casting healing spells when everyone's at full health, the kind that just stand around when everyone's at full health or an AFK & /follow Scholar that lets Eos do everything?

The second is a legit prostrat tho

CrashScreen posted:

They did actually DPS at points, but they also seemed scared to let me lose any health at all. It makes for a good note in the LP at least.

To be fair, I sympathize. Some pubs lose their poo poo when they're at less than perfect health. So you over-compensate to make sure they don't lose their head over it. And of course first time healers are nervous as poo poo in dungeons, especially the early game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I had such a hard loving time finding this goddamn place. Your map marker is super misleading when it comes to pointing you in the direction you need to go :argh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I honestly do appreciate this sudden thrust into PLOT. It does a lot to wake you up from the honestly mostly same-y tasks you had to do up to this point. You fought a dude! He summoned demons! Awesome!

Okay yes it will take some time for anything to come from this, but the promise is there!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's 24 man in the sense that it's 3 groups of 8 right?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Class Quest!

We should probably talk to people about our new look.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

Pray thee return...

All linkshell privileges have been revoked so one not need dread incessant calls throughout the small hours of night.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never liked my female Elezen's victory pose. It looks so dumb.

And yeah, this game absolutely has a better community than WoW goddamn.

HenryEx posted:

Also, wow you died in Sastasha

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Funny way of spelling THM.

I even had a macro where I made witty quips while using a flare chain

Also I like being an Arcanist. Though I lol at those default skill bars. poo poo where we're going, we'll need about twice as many.

The crafting classes have great characters and storylines too, Alchemist, Culinarian and Goldsmith come to mind. Fisher is great too, except leveling Disciples of the Land profs makes me wanna cut my nuts off.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 29, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Arcanist poses are the best :allears:
If you use the right gear, your clothes get super swooshy, since this game has some wind and cloth physics. It was great playing as an arcanist in a certain windy arena and my party was like "drat look at Neoman's coolass mage robe"

Energy drain is also great for when you're recovering from getting rezzed. Pop aetherflow, use energy drain, maybe an ether and you're back in the game. Being at 0 MP is a bad place to be.

'Course the prostrat is not to die in the first place so.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fluid Aura is great if you have a stray add on you and need to get it off. Use it, get the tank to grab it, keep going. Don't make it part of your rotation.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hahahahaahahaha oh my sweet summer child

I hate that I can still see the light of day in this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

and as people are pointing out, the latter isn't even a bad example of an MMO interface, or even bad for XIV I'm sure, since it's still so early and your abilities and buff/debuffs are probably limited.

It gets a bit more cluttered, but honestly not by that much. You'll have a max of 4 hotbars, of which you'll prob use like 2-3 in regular runs. Maybe a pet bar if you're an arcanist. You can also adjust the UI as well.

Yoshi did a lot to trim the fat from typical MMO interfaces. He took the better ideas from things like WoW (multiple hotbars, bag menus) and its modders (Deadly Boss Mods, the multi-party poo poo) and got rid of poo poo that poisoned the genre (DPS meters. Seriously. Good loving riddance.)
It's honestly not as bad as it looks at all, and different classes need to pay attention to different parts of it. It's honestly quite good.

My only gripe is the top right health/SP/Hate bars. That's important info and those need to be bigger and better.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TiamosLoren posted:

Top right bars? Maybe you meant the top left bars.

Yeah I did. my bad. Agree with the rest of your post for sure tho. I think the UI is just worst for tanks cause those agro bars are way too tiny IMO. The whole point of bars is so you can gauge the situation at a quick glance.
eh maybe it's just me

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Considering some people have really complex names thanks to the random name gen, I don't blame people for using the job name.

I feel that "no HQ on 90%+" though. It failed to HQ for me for an item I needed to get my artisan glasses :suicide:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like the blob fight :colbert:

Tank and spank gets old.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Culinarian owns and I love that quest line. Also you're insane if you don't do it first because Hasty Touch is a craftsperson's raison d'etre.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

I regret not starting with that. Granted leveling Weaver first did net me the still infinitely useful Careful Synthesis II, but I feel like an idiot for not doing Culinarian until after I maxed out two other crafting classes.

Yeah to most folks I'd recommend Culinarian to 15, Alchemist to 15 and if you like, Leatherworker 15. Then hit 37 (though you might as well go for 50) with Culinarian, 50 with Carpenter, 50 with Alchemist and 50 with Weaver. That gets you the basic set of cross-class skills. Goldsmith is next and the rest can be done in any order you like. Armorer and Blacksmith only have endgame cross-class skills, so do those last and only if you are planning to go supersperg about crafting.

how the gently caress do i still know all this??

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Culinarian and Botanist

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God help me my brain automatically adds sound effects to those gifs.

You absolutely want to level CUL first. The ingredients are fairly cheap, you get food which boosts the EXP you get, if you're careful you can maneuver around the really obnoxious recipes to level your stuff and you get very, very useful skills early on. Like if you don't have these skills, your crafting life will suck.

Annoyingly you can start crafting very early on, but the poo poo thing is that the things which make crafting easy to level don't unlock until much later.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 23, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

that "fishin's like philadrin'" line is one of the best in the game :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love the alchemist storyline so I'm looking forward to it :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Waking Sands...

It begins...:unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Even with all qol features XIV has, these quests are still a bit of a PITA.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

I'll at least grant the quests that they move the story forward, even if it's not without weird distractions. I'm pretty honestly dreading getting to the storyline everyone always points to when talking about vanilla FFXIV's filler.

I really recommend you just give the Cole's Notes version of that poo poo. Just screenshot one line of dialogue per thing. I have no idea what the devs were thinking, the joke stopped being funny halfway through.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Carlioo posted:

Looking forward to seeing the FFXIV filler again, mostly because I completely glossed over the story until... 2.2 I think, so I don't even remember half of the vanilla game.

FFXIV honestly gets better after the FFXIV story. Everything after 50 owns bones.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Culinarian, do some Guildhests after though. We're almost level 30~

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

As a person who got to 50 in all crafting profs, even I have to say this interface is a bit of a mess.

Also difficulty is a completely useless value outside of maybe some :spergin: spreadsheat theorycrafting. In general the number is meaningless and a better metric is "does it have 1 star or more?" "No? *faceroll keyboard*" "Yes? oh gently caress me"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seeing newbie tanks do the next part is always :shobon: as hell.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's flavor text. You still need to go back and talk to the guy to unlock the Bowl of Embers duty (or if you did that already, you can just fire it up from the Duty Finder wherever you are without going back) and you still need to kill Ifrit.

misunderstood your post sorry

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I appreciate the mini dungeon approach to bosses. There are a few full on RAID CONTENT dungeons, but most of them are split up into bite-sized chunks. Makes it far more bearable.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is why I say this game has more in common with WRPGs than JRPGs. It's a lot more mature and dark without being needlessly so like DA is. Yeah our heroes kill the Tempered, but they really have to. Not every Primal is Bahamut but they're still bad news.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

:golfclap:

As much as I like the twns, christ their pumps look dumb

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Wonder how they tell if someone is tempered. Do tempered people become so zombie-like that they're incapable of lying? Clearly tempering doesn't ALWAYS take (see Aggro), so what's stopping tempered folks from just saying "I guess it didn't work on me, because I'm fine!"

You'll know someone is tempered because they'll lunge at you and try to kill you while yelling "<Primal> I SACRIFICE THIS UNBELIEVER UNTO YOU!!" so basically yeah

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Boco

Stick with the classics.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sgt Thud posted:

Halatali was always that one dungeon for me that was fun the first time and painful every time after since every boss seems designed to just last too long without being even mildly threatening. Luckily it's not...the next one... :downs:

Agreed. It also sucks when you're a budding gladiator since you don't have the proper equipment yet to hold aggro. Once you hit level 40 or so though level syncing down to 23 will leave you being able to tank pretty easily.

So yeah. Not fun in general, but not fun as a glad in particular.

It should be noted that marauders by and large have no such problems

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 28, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah same. I sorta blocked out the minutiae of all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Eopia posted:

What's your system for making this LP anyway? It's been almost a full year since this thread started and you're at content that a normal player reaches maybe half a week in.

Transcribe the dialogue from one of the cutscenes. Multiply that by the number of cutscenes this game has. It's loving soul crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Get ready to Pray Return a lot.

*screams internally*

quote:

Toto-Rok chat

A big issue with MMO dungeons is that inevitably you become too high level and thus redoing them becomes pointless. Thus developers made level sync mechanics a thing. But then this means that dungeons become a part of your MMO grind/leveling options, thus requiring them to be repeated over and over (spoilers: we will eventually get dongles instead of exp for dungeon rewards when we reach max level. As you do in every modern MMO)

So now you as an MMO dev have a problem: you want to make your dungeons exciting and labyrinthe-esque, but at the same time the player base loving hates them because they take way less time than the more linear ones.

MMO devs have chosen to instead have linear dungeons with interesting scenery and challenges, and the games are usually better for it. Toto-Rak is sort of a remnant of the old MMO dungeon design ideology, despite being linear, and boy does it show. It's just so loving uninteresting. It doesn't have a coherent theme, it uses poison way more than necessary and the last part is just a slow down corridor, like to rub in your face how much time you're wasting on this. Graffias can also be hit or miss if your PUGs aren't on the ball or are being dumb. Same for every boss I suppose, but you really feel it for Graffias because of the rest of Toto-rok. gently caress TMoTR.