Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
There are a few more reasons to repeat the guildhests, although some of them relate to stuff not yet touched on so I'll skip over those.

Once you've completed your first Guildhest you'll unlock the Duty Roulette. This contains several categories, of which only the "guildhests" one is initially available. As the name implies, signing up for this puts you into a pool that will then match you and/or your group to a random duty of the roulette type you've chosen that everyone in your group has access to.

The first time in the "day" (defined as "since the last daily reset" although I'm not offhand sure which hour that is in GMT) that you use the Duty Roulette for a given category gives a pretty hefty bonus of XP, Gil and possibly other stuff. This bonus is available once per day per category.

Additionally, each category also lists the type of class - DPS, Heal, Tank - that it currently has the least of in its pools; signing up as the needed class at the time you sign up grants a small but nontrivial "Adventurer In Need" bonus. This bonus can be earned as many times per day as you can stand playing the roulette, but it's only available if you sign up solo. Unsurprisingly, the class most likely to be AiN is Tank, followed by Healer. If DPS has the AiN, the queue is almost certainly near deserted right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
There appear to be roughly two types of Lalafell in the story quests. The type that wear their every single emotion on their sleeves, and the type that are treacherous untrustworthy backstabbing bastards.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Seriously, you will want the new skills.

Agreed. The MSQ does a pretty good job of making it's doable as long as you meet at least the minimum level and gear quality at all points, but class quest earned job skills tend to be the kind that *seriously* improve your ability to perform that job's role.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

Some people get weird about Lalafells. And catpeople. And elves. And lizardpeople. And probably Roegadyn. Also, that one Lalafell-Roegadyn in-game wedding I attended made me vaguely uncomfortable.

I did quite like playing as a tiny man with a tiny goatee and a monocle, especially in cutscenes. It undermines FF14's tendency to take itself very seriously, usually in a good way.

I challenge you to take one good look at various quest and FATE titles, not to mention the whole *spoiler* arc and then say again that FFXVI takes itself too seriously.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

When their SINGLE BATTLESHIP plan failed (and admittedly, only failed after the loving dragon king randomly showed up and committed suicide with it) , they resorted to the other extreme and dropped a moon on the land they wanted to conquer. The Garleans don't really gently caress around.

Also, there's a new seasonal event out and it's rad as hell. Aggro's level is also too low to do it, but I've got another solution for that anyway. For those playing the game, have you tried it yet?

I have.

The second part of the trio of quests (help the yellow ranger train) is kind of a bitch because it's open-world and the bombs spawn for everyone to target. Aside from having to compete with multiple hopefuls there you're also likely to find assholes who just repeatedly nuke the general area to kill the bombs before you can capture one.

Other than that, the quests are quick and easy, and the best way to get vouchers quick is to do the two associated FATEs after completing the base quests.

3-5 vouchers per run. Each pair of poses costs 5 vouchers, each piece of armor costs 3, and you get 10 for completing the arc the first time.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Was the moon drop really part B? I read it as more of the exclamation point on van Darnus' crazy rear end scheme.

It's a *bit* more complicated, and some of the additional information is *spoiler*, but IIRC the Empire was sold on using Dalamud as an orbital bombardment vehicle, and they didn't know about either the moon drop or Bahamut until the latter broke free, and Gaius does refer to the part the Empire played in the Calamity as "A great sin".

... Which he intends to make up for by conquering all of Eorzea and eradicating all Primals and everyone who can call a primal so that it won't happen again. Yeah.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

TiamosLoren posted:

Dragons: Because gently caress Empires.

Mind, Bahamut has a whole list of reasons to be furious with all of the everything right now, but we'll get to those as the game rolls along...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SkyTalon2314 posted:

. (Seriously, almost every Trial theme but one or two is freaking amazing)

Concur. There's at least two EX primals I fight on a regular basis because they frakkin' refuse to drop their orchestrion rolls.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
As tanks go, I tend to refer to Gladiator as textbook Boring But Practical. They're easily the least complicated class in the game -- for the vast majority of the content, your job will be to stand in front of the enemy and spam a single three-attack rotation, with the occasional use of Flash or shield toss to pull in stray adds.

A Gladiator will do just fine as main tank for pretty much all raid content I've been at, although from what I hear Marauders to slightly better as off-tank for various reasons. It's solid as hell; just not very interesting -- although that lack of complexity is an advantage in the bigger raids when you have to be aware of multiple mechanics at the same time while still keeping your own in mind.

I generally prefer it over Marauder, although since Heavensward it's no longer my #1 tanking class anymore...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Tae posted:

The worst part about it is that you see it so often in leveling roulettes because it's a story dungeon.

The best part about it is that because it's a story dungeon your chances of earning the first-timer-in-party bonus are higher.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

Eh, I think this depends on what the limiting factor is. If you have a whole bunch of the material, you can just queue up a whole bunch of items in Quick Synthesis, alt-tab away for a few minutes, and then come back at the end/when your inventory fills up (so it's preferable, all else being equal, to craft intermediate products which stack rather than gear which doesn't; Culinarian doesn't have this problem since food always stacks). Adding quality takes more time per item crafted, since you have to actually hit Basic Touch, etc. and wait for cooldown, and even if the bonus xp is enough to win in terms of xp/second despite that you still have to be babysitting every step of the process unlike with Quick Synthesis.

Quick Synthesis severely cuts down on the amount of XP earned per craft, and has an extremely low chance of HQ. I recommend not using it unless you're in a panicked rush and have less than five minutes to fill out the Crafting challenge log for the week. Even a quick four-step macro that does nothing but the basic synthesis is more efficient.

There are three entries for crafting in the Challenge Log, each of which earns a significant chunk of XP for the crafting class you are when you finish it:
  • Craft 30 items of any level of difficulty and quality
  • Craft 10 items with a High Quality result
  • Meld 5 materia onto things

The third one can't be done yet until we learn how to do it, and the second is not currently realistic to shoot for, but will get significantly easier as we progress. The amount of XP earned for each of those depends on the current level of the class that earns the reward. I don't have the exact formula at hand, but it's comparable to the reward from doing a Roulette as a combat class.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Despite being a major boss, Ifrit is NOT immune to stun effects.

Note, however, that as with all enemies he will build up immunity if hit with them repeatedly.

This is much less of a concern nowadays, but I remember a time where the safe bet was to keep stuns ready to interrupt an inconvenient Radiant Plume to avoid a potential party wipe.

Anyway, that's Ifrit stopped, so we can rescue our fellow soldiers and get them cured.

... Right?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The exact effects of tempering vary depending on the Primal and the followers and this will be a fun topic to go back to once this LP reaches the end of the 2.0 main story, but by and large the type of fanaticism that Tempering instills isn't subtle.

Although it's probably worth considering whether this is because the Tempering isn't subtle, or because it's the Primals themselves that aren't subtle...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Sgt Thud posted:

You don't even have to finish all the patch 2.x stuff, just the final quest of the base 2.0 storyline, and they start at 50 so you can use the 2.x stuff to immediately start gearing them up if you choose.

You don't even have to have done the storyline at all. All you need to do is reach level 50 with any combat class.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Sgt Thud posted:

Huh, the wiki is wrong then. It says it requires Level 50 in any class and completion of [Final Main Story Quest of 2.0] are the requirements.

It is. I'm currently alting a Samurai through the ARR main story quest, last seen trying to make friends with the Sylps. Haven't even done Toto-Rak yet.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

krisslanza posted:

Palace of the Dead grinding?

Sgt Thud posted:

That or buying a Jump Potion for some other class in order to check the level reqs.

Both, actually - I'd gotten to 35 or so when the potions came out, then decided that my time was worth more to me than my money and spent some of the latter to jump a class I'd already 60'd on my main. Money well spent.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

So is the only way to realistically improve your gear to repeatedly run through these dungeons over and over again and pray to RNGesus? That sounds awful.

Aside from craftables which are a thing, the MSQ also drops gear. There's also various endgame token currencies that I'm sure Crash will discuss when they reach level 50, and you can actually get some shiny stuff from the grand company as well.

Especially from the first expansion on the devs tried to make sure that just following the MSQ quests would award you enough gear to keep your item levels high enough to tackle MSQ content, dungeons and all.

Bearing that in mind, dungeon dropped gear is automatically superior to craftable gear for the same level (not counting the endgame stuff where things get muddled because endgame progression; again, something to go into when CS gets there and not germane for now now), so repeating a dungeon that you're on-level for in the hopes of a few additional useful shinies isn't a bad tactic, especially since it's also decent XP -- although if you're doing it on a class that's already on-level for it you're more likely to outlevel the dungeon before you get the full set for your class.

Progression wise the ranking tends to be: Normal quality gear < High Quality gear < 'pink' (which is basically HQ gear with more stat boosts than you'd be able to meld into the HQ) < 'green' (which has a higher item level than its matching level) < 'blue' gear (various varieties of endgame stuff and raid drops) < 'purple' gear (legendary endgame weapons, don't expect to see any time soon)

kaosdrachen fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 3, 2018

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I think the reason why I stuck with FFXIV and bounced off WoW after a while was the music. I can think of about 2 memorable tracks in WoW, but absolutely loads in 14.

And it's only getting better. The "generic boss fight" music for the latest expansion is several levels of holy gently caress wow. Unfortunately it'll be quite a while before we'll get to it in this LP...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I believe the appropriate phrase is "That escalated quickly."

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So now that we've reached this point, I think I speak for all of us when I say "gently caress Livia."

She's pretty much devoid of any kind of redeeming qualities, yes.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
On the plus side, doing it at 35 means chain bonus XP, getting you to 36 that much faster. On the minus side, you're the tank and likely at the minimum level and ILVL to be allowed in, so you'll put a lot of strain on a healer that's expecting a multipull breeze-through.

... That said, if you're planning to go, do you have a discord or linkshell to set up a party? I can come and heal.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
No worries, CS. Take all the time you need. Hope things are okay.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The weird thing is that I think Svara is an enemy in one of the Machinist job quests, so even the FATEs are non-canon. :argh:

When taking level-progression-as-time, the one Svara-related quest in MCH is at level 40, so "chronologically" it can have happened before that epic final battle.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

First question, yes. If you like story-focused RPGs, it's one of the absolute best out there. The base game is a bit of a slog to get through, but once you hit the first expansion the story gets really really good and the newest expansion (Shadowbringers) may be my favourite RPG story ever.

Second question, do you care about being locked into Steam? If you'd rather be free to open it in other ways and have access to non-Steam discounts, then buy it from the Square Enix store. If you are happy to have it consolidated with all your other games on Steam, then go ahead and buy it on Steam. There's a free trial that allows you to play until level 35, and to play beyond that you need to buy the base game. Buying the newest expansion Shadowbringers will also give you access to all the previous expansions along with the races/classes that got added to the game. There's a 50% discount on Shadowbringers right now on Steam, so it's a good time to buy it.

Latest word from On High is that they're aware of how much of a slog the base game is and they're re-doing most of it to tighten up the storyline a bit, more involvement from the Scions, possibly incorporating the new "Trust System" so you don't absolutely need to find a party for those mandatory dungeons. No word of how soon (or un-soon) this'll be ready, though.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Also even with the current state of ARR, it's extremely worth getting through just for how amazing the later stuff is.

Agreed.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

BioMe posted:

Can't wait for the Ishgardian redemption arc, because man these guys suck right now.

Elves Are Assholes is definitely in full play, yeah.

I do like that 1) it's not downplayed and 2) your NPC companions don't pretend it's normal. Even polite-to-a-fault Alphinaud agrees he'll be happy to see the last of this place, and not just because he forgot to dress up warm.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Roluth posted:

I've picked up the game not very long ago, and I've gotten all the way to Shadowbringers as a WHM. Honestly, I was not expecting to like the game as much as I did! Although the plot takes a bit to really get going, once it steps on the gas it rarely backs off. Hopefully you can power through the rest of ARR and get to the good bits soon!

You're in for a treat. The writer who was initially brought on to do the DRK class quests got promoted and did the /entirety/ of the Shadowbringers MSQ, and /holy poo poo/ did she deliver.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
So yeah, that just escalated just a bit...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Game is great, new content is great, I'm hype to roll an alt and see if the MSQ is any better now

I'm planning to do exactly that once I'm done with the new MSQ content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
The same deal happened to the other expansion's endgame hubs, although sometimes it's more subtle than others.