Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
All right! I'm glad to see your doing the LP again Crash. I started playing through ARR again on a new character and I'm enjoying it. Once you get into dungeons, I'll send you a PM about helping you out covering other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

HenryEx posted:

Lemme just say i will be extremely miffed if we don't get video footage of the first queue primal trials. It will be random queue, right? It's just not the same otherwise.
Well, not like i care much about the fire one, but earth and wind definitely deserve videos. Those intros and music :allears:

I have stories. Stories about the wind trial. About queueing for it on a leveling scholar for quest progress and getting an entire team that's on the lower bound of the level requirement. A team that's entirely first timers except for me.
Fifty-eight minutes well spent.

(i had to queue again)

Nothing will ever beat six months after release where the server that was responsible for placing people in primal fights was broken. For a solid month, everyone was experience horrible lag during these fights. Me and my brother were stuck on the second primal because we could not do it due to how movement heavy it was.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

SSNeoman posted:

That MP limit really, really hurts this early on, especially given how effective Flash is compare to your combo.
You do get an MP restoring combo, but I don't think I ever used it.
No seriously, not even in trials.

I think, prior to you getting your complete enmity generation combo, you should be able to hold enmity easily with just two flashes per mob. After that, it's just Fast Blade -> Savage Blade on the primary target.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I would agree that 3.1 wasn't the best but 3.2 was a step up and 3.3 was a huge content dump. I still say the fights that came in 3.3 are some of the best in the game.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
People seem to forget this happened during both of patch 2.4 and 2.41s trials and during the 24 man raid that was concluded that patch. I'm pretty sure this is just something that happens in every mmo.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

SSNeoman posted:

It's 24 man in the sense that it's 3 groups of 8 right?

Yeah. With the exception of the older content, its three groups consisting of one tank, two healers and five dps.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Gloomy Rube posted:

The more I hear about this stuff, the more I think Fantasy Life was meant to actually be single player FFXIV. They have all the class swapping, the main story is completely playable as a crafting class, and the music's by Nobuo Uematsu.

Of course, Fantasy Life also has pretty weak combat but good gathering and crafting, which is kinda the reverse from FFXIV.

Huh...that actually makes a lot of sense.

I should really give that game another shot, I stopped playing it way too early.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
This is actually one of my favorite parts of the game because now it completely opens up. In theory, you can walk to Gridania from Ul'dah and take a boat to Limsa but now the game throws access to all the classes at you and says, "go nuts".

Also World Apart is a great rendition of the main theme. It's one of my favorites.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
You will notice, at least with the first three dungeons you get access to, that they're easily streamrolled. A lot of people say their poorly designed (these people are usually maxed level / geared) but the dungeons are made to teach you mechanics that you'll deal with throughout the MSQ, which people seem to forget three years after they were introduced.

Specifically, in this one you deal with working as a party at the basic level, dealing with additional mobs spawning during a fight and using certain mechanics in a fight to prevent excess damage.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's what it's supposed to teach you, yes. But what it really teaches you is to ignore the mechanics, ignore the adds, and just burn down the boss ASAP. That's why it's poorly designed.

The bubbles spawn when the boss hits certain points and only the initial set spawn, it's a mechanic that's built for people who are around that item level / do not have a job crystal yet. Obviously its going to be easy to blow through with even one person who's maxed item level.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

SonicRulez posted:

Is there any particular reason you still need to unlock Rogue instead of having it from the jump?

They also never created a cutscene that shows the PC as a Rogue in the beginning of the game and believed it was a waste of resources to go back and create one.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Her personality is annoying in the beginning but towards the end of the Arcanist questline, when it starts getting really dark, I got over it really fast.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
The Rising is still my favorite event that XIV does. The music, the nostalgia, everyone in the player base seems to mellow out and celebrate. It's just nice all around.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Energy Drain is such a good ability. Since it doesn't have a cast time, you can use it while moving. It's extremely useful when your dodging a ground targeted move and you want to keeping DPSing.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Fister Roboto posted:

Minor lore note: For Seekers of the Sun, the clan that Y'Shtola belongs to, the first letter of their name actually denotes their tribe. So in this case it's short for Shtola of the Y Tribe, although only people who are very close to her would call her Shtola. Similarly, K'Lyhia would be Lyhia of the K Tribe.

And yes, there are 26 tribes, one for each letter of the alphabet.

drat, I actually did not know this. That explains why certain characters later one address her as Shtola.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
The instance here is one of my favorites in the game and the FF 2 remix is great. It's fits perfectly with this being a joke fight.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
There is only one acceptable answer and that is the Maelstrom. We have to go with the GC who has the best looking gear.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
The interview between Masayoshi Soken and Nobuo Uematsu is an absolute treat, not only because they're two great composers but because they have a lot of history with the company. I'll link it here if you guys are interested.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
There is only one correct name and that is Bobby Corwen.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I must have blocked this part out of my memory because I think the part that follows afterwards is one of the worst parts of the 2.0 story.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
For any who is curious or on the fence about trying Final Fantasy 14, now is the BEST time to give it a shot! The game is so much more user-friendly and what Crash showed is only a small percentage of the quality of life changes that were made. You do not have to have purchased Stormblood to get access to these changes, they exist for everyone!

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Solitair posted:

:shrug: This part of the MSQ was surprisingly painless for me, unlike

Maybe I just got it over with as soon as possible and forgot as much as I could.

I don't even hate getting Brayflox's Longstop on the roulette as much as I hate getting the first three dungeons or Toto-Rak. At this point you actually start getting decent mechanics for the boss fights.

Yeah I agree. Brayfolk definitely is a huge step up compared to all the dungeons up to this point. It just sucks that the quest line surrounding it is a little ridiculous.

Fun fact, when I first started playing this game about six months after release, the servers that were charged with handling dungeon / primal instances were plagued with problems. Constant disconnects were a thing and this whole section took a solid month to beat because running through Brayfolk was like playing with 1000 ping. It was a nightmare.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
So a little story but around the time I started playing Final Fantasy 14, the game was plagued with server problems for about two or three weeks (this was during the 2.2 patch). Because of this, the servers that specifically handled instanced boss fights like Titan and Ifrit were filled with horrible lag and made most fights difficult.

Well, right when the server problems started is when me and my brother just got to Titan. We spent the next two weeks trying to get a clear while dealing with horrible lag in the fight, which meant we would be knocked off the stage almost every run. My brother ended up quitting because of it and to this day, still hasn't come back because of it.

So yeah, Titan is pretty rough with lag. This is the point where the game stops loving around in terms of difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Elentor posted:

Re: Music, I think the entire sequence with Shiva, from the intro cutscene to the phase 1 music to the transition to the phase 2 music is probably the coolest boss fight presentation I had ever seen until then and the only way I could describe it is "this poo poo loving owns".

This is definitely one of my favorite transitions but the final boss in the newest expansion has one that blew it out of the water. That's still my favorite boss fight in any MMO and probably a contender in the top 5 of all games.