Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just caught up! I'm glad that someone here has the ambition to take on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

Sorry that I've taken so long to get an update. It's been a busy two weeks, but I'll have the next update out before the usual time to make up for it.

No problem. In the meantime, I found something that veteran players will appreciate:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

apostateCourier posted:

This is definitely a game that requires friends to play with- for that instance in particular. If you control more than half the party, the rest can't run off and blitz it.

I probably would not have picked up or stuck with this game if I hadn't gotten an in with the Stormfeelers on the Ultros server

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I'm amused that Fisher isn't even an option. Weaver and Miner

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I named my retainers Bartholomewmew (male Miqo'te) and Tuberella (female Lalafell).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I'm glad you're transcribing the Waking Sands extra dialogue. I never took the time to talk to NPCs unless they gave me quests or sold things, etc.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The way I play this game, I often spend a while screwing around with side content, crafting and leveling other classes, so I don't advance the main story often, or for long. So I completely forgot that Marques showed up this early.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Elentor posted:

Everything is on rails and you level up naturally as you do the content, more or less like in every other Final Fantasy. The bulk of the game is made for max level players. You're expected to reach max level within a reasonable time frame. That time frame can be a few hours (WoW allows you to do that if you have the means)/a few days/a few weeks/a few months depending on how much time you play.

It also depends on how much side stuff and leveling other classes you do. So for me getting to 50 took more than half a year.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

For those of you who don't know, getting your durability to 0 and filling your progress bar completely in the same action will result in you finishing the synthesis instead of failing. This is good to know if you want to squeeze out every touch action you can.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

I can promise it gets a lot better later. The A Realm Reborn leveling story just struggles to stretch to 50 without the padding. I have a few theories as to why but being rushed to replace an MMO with a new one is probably the main reason it worked out this way. The developers hit their stride in the content patches before the first expansion came out, though.

I have seen many complaints from members of my free company about the content of the 2.x patches being filler, usually when a newcomer to the game has to slog through it all at once to get to Heavensward. It makes me wonder how many people will grouse about 3.x after most players get used to Stormblood, even though 3.x has been so much better.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Sgt Thud posted:

One thing that will really help is the difference in quantity. In total the 2.x story adds up to a count of 100 individual quests, but most are very much "walk here, talk to person, walk back" type.

3.x, in contrast, has a total of 44 quests, and most of them are pretty localized or involve doing something interesting. You ca blow through the 2.x content in 2-3 days of play pretty easy (I've done it three times now because I'm insane), and the actual storyline is interesting enough, but it can feel like a slog if you're just trying to reach Heavensward on your 3rd character.

I still don't understand why people make multiple characters in this game. There's already plenty enough to do with just one.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

krisslanza posted:

Usually to try out a different race. Or if you're someone like me, and you kind of roleplay it in your head, the concept of a single person being able to do everything amazingly and perfectly, is kind of odd. So you make another character to do other things.

I had Bartz, Reina, Faris and Krile master every job in FF5, and I don't have a problem doing the same thing with my guy here.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Elemental resistance seems like it's only ever relevant in the handful of boss fights where the boss can hit you with a resistance down debuff.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Oh boy, Little Ala Mhigo. Ala Mhigan NPCs being horrid shitheads is a recurring theme in this game.

I actually have a few secondary classes in the 15-45 level range, so I wouldn't mind showing some of those sidequest chains or other class abilities if you're otherwise occupied with the main story. Of course, if you want to keep it all in character instead of randomly having Aggro replaced by a tiny dragon girl, that's more than understandable.

Also, with the purple Heavy Iron Gear: the most spiteful thing that FF XIV did was locking the glamour system until you hit level 50. And dyeing until 25 or so IIRC. There are about a trillion neat outfits you can put together in this game (I've been using this AST glamour set since level 61), and you're doomed to looking like you rolled around in the bins at the Goodwill Outlet to get dressed.

I don't think this counts as a spoiler, since it's just a couple of tents in the background, but just in case!

I'm dealing with that problem by crafting all of my own equipment, and wearing matching sets, whenever possible. Unfortunately, that tends to slow down the rate at which I complete MSQ; I've only recently passed the halfway point of the 4.0 story.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Well, if you're in Stormblood you very much have the glamour system open, unless you never did the quest? A Self-Improving Man in Mor Dhona unlocks it. Of course, if you don't want to waste 20,000 or so on glamour prisms for armor you're going to be using for two levels, that's understandable and smart.

I glamour all of my leveling gear. :unsmigghh:

floofy outfits have clipping issues sometimes though

Prisms are a reason why I don't use the glamour system often. Another is that I think most of the sets in this game look pretty good and I wanted to give them some time on my character model. The main exception is the fugly Ironworks Fending set, which I glamored over with Valor gear during 2.x and the first parts of Heavensward.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Oh, that's where Meffrid first appeared. I like that the game offers you the option of saying you don't remember him, because I really didn't.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The Rockskin Peiste is tied to a quest in the area where you get an item that reduces its stats, making it on par with normal mobs of that level. There are a few quests like that here and there.

...I feel compelled to do all the quests in this game, even the dumb busywork ones.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

My current FC got a plot. It seems alright. I mostly don't bother with the housing stuff.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I wouldn't mind seeing some PVP explanation. It shouldn't take too long, right?

Edit: I didn't even see the previous update when I wrote this. Whoops. Still wouldn't mind seeing a PVP match eventually.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 29, 2017

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Since you can only have a chocobo fight with you in world content, I haven't started doing it until recently. I'm personally putting all my points into healing to get a WHM barding, but if that's not optimal I dunno what to advise for your chocobo.

Also, I should probably try stabling mine, since I have over a dozen other mounts I can use. :smug:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I can't hate Trachtoum. :unsmith:

What comes next didn't bother me as much, because I blitzed through it without having to take screenshots. I also spend a lot of time leveling up my other alts instead of just finishing the MSQ at around that time, which ended up being more tedious.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

:shrug: This part of the MSQ was surprisingly painless for me, unlike

Ibblebibble posted:

Still better than Eureka. :v:

Maybe I just got it over with as soon as possible and forgot as much as I could.

I don't even hate getting Brayflox's Longstop on the roulette as much as I hate getting the first three dungeons or Toto-Rak. At this point you actually start getting decent mechanics for the boss fights.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I feel nostalgia reading this LP while I wait for the dungeon queues to level my other jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I remember people complaining about the lead-up to Titan more than this next part, but I suppose I can understand why someone would think the opposite.