Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I made-out with a candied yam because I'm awesome in bed. Huh. Accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's not like they're drinking liquor or beer! That's for women with loose morals and drinking problems!

*drains half a box of wine watching Lifetime movies by herself*

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That picture of my virile manhood is copyright and stuff. I expect my royalty check in the mail, posthaste. Call me, lonely goons.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Posting that almost 100% guarantees that at least one of your daughters is getting plowed while you wait for the likes and comments to roll in.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

nah he keeps her pruned with the pinking shears

heh. Pink.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Stay-at-home-moms/ Arbonne Consultants bitching about poors and the unemployed is one of the best parts of Facebook. If it wasn't for the fact that a lot of army guys would get mad at me I would tell every one of them on Facebook that being a wife to a soldier and mother isn't a job, that's why you don't get paid for it, ala The Simpsons, because the fireworks would be amazing

Well, if you're handling the family finances, maintaining the home, (cleaning, lawn, minor repairs) purchasing and preparing food, handling family scheduling and providing child care, I'd call that a job. They are getting paid for it though, or in theory they are, because that division of labor is supposed to free the other spouse to put in the hours and effort to make a salary large enough that will support the entire family. It often doesn't work out that way, but that's the fault of the couple, not the position of stay-at-home spouse. IMO we should give govt. assistance to full-time parents so they can raise less lovely children with less strain on the other parent.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Also the Army/Marines/Whatever do pay them in a roundabout way because military personnel who are married straight up get bonus cash. Same for having children (and it stacks).

"Paper Marriages" in which two soldiers or a soldier and civilian get married purely for the pay bonus while rarely interacting with each other are a real thing.

I know two people that have barely spoken to one another in years and are only not divorced for this very reason.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

Works at: full time mommy n proud!!!!

I've got a friend who is/was mostly a stay-at-home dad. He guides walking tours and writes little indie books for extra cash currently. I wish I had a sugar momma.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Anderron Shi posted:

Is it fun working from home

I wouldn't know. I'm crazy and thus unemployable at the moment.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, the real monster here is the one who changed his font.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What's the problem? Obviously they needed the use of the vacuum cleaner to sell it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

My parents call each other mom and dad within the context of speaking to me. Is that unusual? I don't call them by their proper names when I'm talking to them either. It really depends on context. The great thing about the written word, especially in the short little snippets we get in social media, is that there's often no context, and certainly no social, bodily or facial cues.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

wyntyr posted:

In this case there's frankly a bit more bodily cues than I'd cafe for

What, you don't rub nipples in your family?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I've actually curated my list of friends, so I don't really have horrible poo poo popping up on my feed. I did unfriend a few people over the last week that I enjoyed staying in touch with because we don't agree on much but have a good time discussing it, but after the cop murderpalooza they decided to post multiple racist rants that myopically ignore any factor other than race in this current clusterfuck. I can understand being justifiably and also irrationally angry and saying dumb poo poo because of it, but I guess this was kinda the last straw for me. Now I pretty much just have a safe space echo chamber of my best friends and cool acquaintances. I'm not sure if that's cool or not. I liked seeing poo poo I didn't agree with.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dreddout posted:

That means you're the trash friend!

Huh. I guess that checks out. Brb killing self.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tricky D posted:

*confuses licensing with permission*

*is libertarian*

How is operating a motor vehicle, both the driving by the individual and actually using public roadways with the vehicle itself, without proper licensing being illegal and punishable by fines and maybe jail time not effectively requiring government permission to do so?

Same with being married. Without a license, you enjoy none of the legal benefits of marriage. The government says that you're not married until we sign off on it, kthnxbai citizen.

I'm not a libertarian and I actually think the regulation and rule of law is an ok thing in general since there are often plenty of good reasons for it. Like building codes and zoning laws.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tricky D posted:

Permission implies that the government will deny a marriage or fishing license instead of just giving them away with no scrutiny for a small fee.

Age or parental permission is a hard requirement for a marriage license. When my father married my mother, he was only 20 and the state required an age of 21, so his parents had to go to the courthouse and fill out paperwork before the government would grant the license.

Sporting licenses like fishing, hunting, boating, etc often require safety courses and have age restrictions.

Money itself is a condition that must be met before approval.

License is a synonym of permission. "I grant you license," is an archaic way of saying "I give you permission."

You can do any of these things without the license of the government, but you are subject to punishment because you do not have permission to be doing them.

:goonsay:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Andrew Ryan's autistic cousin posted:

Is not a poster entitled to his pedantry in GBS?

"No," says the goon, "it belongs in the gas chamber!"

"No," says the moderator, "it belongs in the leper colony!"

"No," says Dad Gay, So What "suck my drat balls!"

Jesus Christ guys, I think licensing is a good thing. It is still literally securing permission from a governing body though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm not sure what this even means.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Munchables posted:

Hillary has an 86 perception score vs Trump's 84, so she has a slightly higher ability to detect traps, magic or stealth-based candidates.

Oh. Thanks for putting it in terms I could understand. What does that have to do with feeling johnsons?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

I wish that it were this easy to cut people entirely from my life.

Have kids and become a oval office.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I tell her to put some clothes on because we're going out. I'm not going to let her do this to herself again.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

notZaar posted:

The skeleton Facebook guy is a one trick pony.

Yeah, he is. His one trick is totally loving rad, though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The CIA has done stranger poo poo. Spending a few k a year to seed some flat earther forums and whatnot just to gently caress with people and record the results isn't really out of character. Compared to MK Ultra, Acoustic Kitty, psychic research, remote viewing and other poo poo, loving with flat earth people seems like it might be a team building exercise/hobby they might indulge in occasionally.

I don't really care either way.

Also, nothing about a flat earth precludes a hollow earth. There'd just be a big cave deep down with what scientists mistake for a molten core as a second sun. It'd be like a giant Hot Pocket.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Winona, if you're in to obese manchildren with sadbrains, call me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Zahgaegun posted:

I almost ran out of colors

Ma'am, could you take a few deep breaths and then type that again? I strongly feel that a second pass at explaining these events may really help you connect with your audience better.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Those arent real trump quotes right?

I have heard most of those spill out of Trump's mouth from video clips and read the rest before. He's insinuated on more than one occasion that he'd gently caress his daughter.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, he prob just needs some therapy and maybe meds. A lot of homeless people become homeless due to untreated and undiagnosed mental poo poo loving up their lives.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Linux Pirate posted:

Sadly I do not think he has the money nor the desire to seek that out and he claims he is in the best mental state he's ever been in.

Friends is going a bit far. I haven't seen him irl since middle school and even then we were just school acquaintances. I accepted his friend request because I wanted to be nice.

I felt great while my life exploded around me when I was manic. I would have ended up on the street if I didn't have supportive friends and family because drat. Took a long time for me to get help though because I wasn't gonna take no pills or talk to a shrink.

Maybe he'll hit a metaphorical brick wall at the right time and place like I did and get some good help. Not a lot you can really do for him as a distant acquaintance, honestly. There's help available but it kinda depends on your location as to the quality, affordability and availability. If he applies for disability he can get some freebie or cheapie care while he waits for a decision, I know that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

notZaar posted:

Isn't that like calling a baby Hitler? He was a bad dude.

The Sephiroth is the Tree of Life from Kabbalah. The drat thing even showed up in one of his attacks, I think. It wasn't just some nonsense babble word a Japanese man made up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirot

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I was just saying there was a non-zero chance that the kid named Sephiroth might NOT be named after a Marty Stu JRPG character. Like maybe .00795%

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Adventures are supposed to net you obscene wealth at the cost of great uncertainty and personal risk. Kids these days. SMDH I bet they don't even know a barrow from a crypt.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That old man rant is not not necessarily wrong, it's just that we tend to frown on that level of death and destruction in the age of cellphone cameras, GoPros and Twitter. Imagine a Japanese peasant Instagramming their baby's skin sloughing off from radiation sickness or a citizen of London filming a V2 slam into a primary school. We don't actually have the stomach for it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Blue Train posted:

we provided those reforms because we bombed them super hard

the implication is we nuke and occupy the middle east

Moridin920 posted:

written by some pasty nerd who's never even been in a fist fight

lol

Japan is okay today because the massive reforms and economic stimulus we provided during the post-war Occupation, not because we bombed them super hard.

and that's some lol too

I've actually been in plenty of fights, none which I picked. They were dumb and pointless like most violence.

Yes, Japan is doing fine because we rebuilt it. We rebuilt it because we leveled the place with carpet bombing and then dropped a couple nukes to rub it in (plus intimidating others) and we wanted military bases flanking the commie hordes that we just finished arming ourselves. Having a healthy industrial base in your forward military staging area makes sense. I hope part of the rebuilding was because we felt bad about the whole thing.

The old man rant about murdering everyone isn't wrong because that tactic has demonstrably worked throughout human history when it has been employed. Genocide and total warfare work. America doesn't have anywhere near the raw numbers of ground troops needed to do a clean sweep of such a large and varied geographical region as "the Middle East" so we'd probably have to draft tons of people people to go fill ditches with "suspected terrorists."

World War I made civilian populations a valid military target and completely changed the psyche of an entire continent. World War II made good on that and went whole hog on bombing anything that looked vaguely like a factory regardless of location.

North and South America were cleared of most natives and relatively pacified in a few hundred years with primitive tech, terrible logistics, awful communication and coordination and the violence taking place far away from the front. The ancient Babylonians killed entire tribes of enemies to keep them from coming back later.

That poo poo is bad PR these days, and a bad economic move with globalization, as well as being morally reprehensible. That's why it's an old man rant and lol worthy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

like bro i'm sorry do you really think wiping out 90% of the ME population is a viable strategy and it's just bc we don't have the balls anymore that we don't do it? cuz even aside from the moral issues involved you're just wrong it's not a good tactic.

No? I fully believe that there's plenty of people with the balls to carry out a massive extinction pogrom. I just don't think that the general populace that supplies any modernized armed force would support them while it is streamed to TwitchTV. I know I wouldn't.

Extreme violence is both a terrible tactic and strategy, yes. Kinda like old school chemo therapy, in a way.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Haiku my bike-u
Baka Osaka tengu
Dumb gaijin are you

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Madcosby posted:

i foolishly clicked on the young cons twitter feed

its basically racism, the twitter feed

I totally read that as "young con(victed criminal)s" and not "young con(servative)s" at first. It works either way. "Young con(fidence man/scam)s" doesn't really fit though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Every time I see MBA my brain reads it as Master of Bachelor's Degree of Arts. Like you went for an Eight year Lit or Painting degree or something.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Right, sorry. I meant that an MBA would be taking eight years to do a bachelor degree. I no type gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Is there a Literally Hitler Facebook "like option" beta program I can get in on? I've got some great ideas for a Triggered smiley face and some Bless Your Dear Heart/Y'all Niggas Need Jesus pictograms.

• Locked thread