Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

15: The Junebug Atrocity

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

how many terrible words have been written through this thread and the ones before it? 2,067,000. Some of them might have been good? idk

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel most of us hang out in #thunderdome

where are the previous months April, May June July, August, September, October , November, December, January, February, March, April, May

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; if no one else does it I do

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for at least a year, but if it's working for people there's no reason it couldn't go on longer

does ock even count as an joke anymore humor is a funny thing lol (not actually laughing)

Long Walk 15: The Junebug Atrocity

Sitting ear: 20k MAID IN MANHATTAN IT
Spectres: 20k CONTROVERSIAL RPG MAID IT
Flerp:14k FRILLY FRENCH MAID OOH LA LA IT
C7ty: 5k METER MAID IT
Guinness13: 10k 10 subs HIRE-A-MAID FRANCHISE GROUP IT
Toxicslurpee: 5k SLIGHTLY DUBIOUS BROKEN LINK BUT PRESUMING YOU'RE GOING TO EDIT THAT PICTURE BACK IN TRY IMGUR MAID IT
Besesoth: 9k SHOUNEN MAID IT
Finger wagon: 10k MINUTE MAID IT

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X4)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
CRABROCK... DIDN'T MAKE IT
REDTONIC... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MARTELLO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
THEHOMEMASTER... DIDN'T MAKE IT
JONKED... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANIME WAS RIGHT... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MAG7.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
KURONA BRIGHT...DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
SITTING HERE.... DIDN'T MAKE IT(X2)
IRONIC TWIST.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
TEQUILAJESUS.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANOMIEATTHEGATES.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANGELOPPORTUNITY.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
SPECTRES OF AUTISM....DIDN'T MAKE IT
FLERP....DIDN'T MAKE IT
NEWTESTLEPER....DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
20K :toxx: :vapes:

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im cool too

20k :toxx: :puckout:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

5k. Baby's first long walk. :toxx:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
:toxx: 500 words a day estimates to about 14k words this month so yeah 14k words

10 subs :henget:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
10k and 10 subs. :toxx:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
5K words. :toxx:

Need to keep the train of awful words rolling. :buttfame:

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.
At least 10k. (Gonna do my damnedest to finish this goddamn book by the end of the month, I swear) :toxx:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
9k for me. :toxx:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So I didn't walk last month (even though I did hit that 4k minimum), and I didn't sign up for this one.

Why? I realized that going for a minimum wordcount wasn't working for me anymore. I would hit the target then slob off for the rest of the month. So between a number of sources all basically saying the same thing, I decided to treat it this month as a job. 4+ hours (closer to 6) a day, every weekday. Starting at 12 and using the 30 minutes writing, 5 minutes break, repeat technique recommended in the 'dome irc.

13k in 11 days. Its not much, but for comparison's sake it smashes every month I've signed up to longwalk and I've done 44k total (the other 2k being notes) over the last 8 months, and June's not over yet.

Why am I saying it now? The story's done. Editing and polishing up's next, but I'll do inbetween working on my next thing.

Why am i saying this period? Because Thank you. It took 8 months of longwalking and a few more before that of thunderdomeing but I finally whipped myself into doing something I've wanted to do for a very long time but always found myself easily distracted. Ill be back if I gently caress this up, and i expect Seb to beat me mercilessly if i do, but it feels really good to actually have loving finished something, even if its just 44k in total.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Thyrork posted:

So I didn't walk last month (even though I did hit that 4k minimum), and I didn't sign up for this one.

Why? I realized that going for a minimum wordcount wasn't working for me anymore. I would hit the target then slob off for the rest of the month. So between a number of sources all basically saying the same thing, I decided to treat it this month as a job. 4+ hours (closer to 6) a day, every weekday. Starting at 12 and using the 30 minutes writing, 5 minutes break, repeat technique recommended in the 'dome irc.

13k in 11 days. Its not much, but for comparison's sake it smashes every month I've signed up to longwalk and I've done 44k total (the other 2k being notes) over the last 8 months, and June's not over yet.

Why am I saying it now? The story's done. Editing and polishing up's next, but I'll do inbetween working on my next thing.

Why am i saying this period? Because Thank you. It took 8 months of longwalking and a few more before that of thunderdomeing but I finally whipped myself into doing something I've wanted to do for a very long time but always found myself easily distracted. Ill be back if I gently caress this up, and i expect Seb to beat me mercilessly if i do, but it feels really good to actually have loving finished something, even if its just 44k in total.

A true LW success story :patriot:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Clint dot gif

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.
I know this is a bit early, but I just finished my book and I feel like I'll forget if I don't do this now. I section chapters into individual word files like a gigantic weirdo, sorry.

Started most of the way through chapter eleven.

Chapter twelve:

Thirteen, which is a little short:

Fourteen:

And fifteen, which is an unholy length for some reason:

Brings my total since signing up to

Even excluding the 181 and 880 word scenes I wrote before the fourth and included with minor edits in finished chapters, that still puts me well above my promised 10k and brings my rough manuscript to a total of 54,335 words without factoring in any of the editing I've done on earlier chapters since taking my pre-walk total. Now, editing! We'll see how that goes. :confuoot:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Report in folks. How's it going.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Report in folks. How's it going.

:psyboom: :negative: :psyboom:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Phone posting due to lack of Internet.

I wrote this and it was bad so I'm deleting it but I wrote enough words to count.

I hope this works.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Beat my target with room to spare! 10,908/9000.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
book at 39.5k last time

http://imgur.com/ifCvSXa

trash file:

http://imgur.com/pCKobUG

doc linkage

ghost heart - https://docs.google.com/document/d/18sOCJ5hd7mNv7qMJ0wF6Xir_xeYfqiduyuVjDv-gQ9M/edit?usp=docslist_api

indigo rose - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EuC6RH4k1pyo0k0J0TF4xvxWVHTuMm2fvjOFQogxdk0/edit?usp=docslist_api

b side to week 200 - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aJ4KfL4cFKU4IY21DD7cc_AYmcFt97EO-_rJFtv_tZ4/edit?usp=drive_web

Artemis - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UhRmkN-WXcnI-lAjUMBRGoczf8oO2QPwlGf5RYYcTxA/edit?usp=docslist_api

just another rc - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NrvpJ9PnHwW02MVS3zM6eqJxZpTSKnE8TK8zucLfTbg/edit?usp=docslist_api

untitled poem -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GqX_42j4jtJkXZVH2TxZltpFV1erfQl9sXFAwNiYa6E/edit?usp=drive_web

take the moon fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 5, 2016

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Totally forgot about this. Been a long week. Was already in bed when I remembered. Weee!

Short story in progress, 830 words.

Short story in progress 2, progress harder, 137 words.

Short story in progress with a vengeance, 4,898 words

Finished short story, 3,606

Thunderdome potato week, 960 words (disregard the actual number, see just behind it.)

Total: 10,431 words

Submissions got derailed when the story I was subbing this month got accepted on the 8th sub of 10. Subbed another that I've been floating for months with no luck, and it got picked up too!

10 subs.

Back to bed.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
words

submissions

you can see my name idgaf

not getting banned

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
My writing priorities are so hosed lately but hey, at least words are happening!

First off, 15019 on a piece of absolutely self indulgent fantasy garbage:

2526 on some pretentious blather

1169 on some other blather

aaannnd 2421 words on my actual novel lolololol

Total for June: 21135 words (to say nothing of my TD stories and 9K words of week 200 TD crits :smith:)

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

forgot about both TD and LW at points in the month so lmao me. it's been a month!

but this was actually really neat and I plan to do it more in the future. some ridiculously garbo words done (including a garbage thing or two to edit for a possible sub in that mess of a doc, lol) but just glad to be writing anything right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WOOT everyone made it good work kids

• Locked thread