Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

Muhammad Ali, the silver-tongued boxer and civil rights champion who famously proclaimed himself "The Greatest" and then spent a lifetime living up to the billing, is dead.

Ali died Friday at a Phoenix-area hospital, where he had spent the past few days being treated for respiratory complications, a family spokesperson confirmed to NBC News. He was 74.

Ali had suffered for three decades from Parkinson's Disease, a progressive neurological condition that slowly robbed him of both his legendary verbal grace and his physical dexterity. A funeral service is planned in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muhammad-ali-greatest-all-time-dead-74-n584776

gently caress this has been a terrible year for famous people dying :smith:

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Holy poo poo

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Rest in peace, GOAT.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfJzhTo64mc

RIP, goddamnit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:rip:

:(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Malloreon posted:

Holy poo poo

Yeah, My Dad is almost having a breakdown. As a Kid me and my Dad's only real bonding time was watching sports. Me and him used when live stuff wasn't going on on the weekends used to watch a bunch of old basketball games or boxing matches.

He has like every single Ali fight memorized p much down to the punch. This really loving sucks.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This year blows

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Here he is performing magic tricks for Scott Steiner and Ric Flair. He loved doing the magic tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HChbUMynkn8

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What in the gently caress? In the space of a day he went from "Going to the hospital" to "Respiratory problems" to "He's in trouble" to "Life support" to dead.

:stare:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Greatest of all time. RIP.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m2chT8HKs8

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly surprised he lasted this long. Parkinson's had him hosed up for years.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
He was an icon, a fighter, an activist, and a boxer. He was the greatest.

Rest in Peace, Muhammed Ali.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
:rip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F30t-weDqko

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
My favorite Ali story is from his Sportscentury where Foreman is talking about their fight and notes that he NAILED Ali with a perfect body shot. Ali's responce was whispering into George's ear "Is that all you got, George?"

Foreman admitted thinking "Yep. That's about it."

RIP GOAT.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Crazy Ted posted:

What in the gently caress? In the space of a day he went from "Going to the hospital" to "Respiratory problems" to "He's in trouble" to "Life support" to dead.

:stare:

That happens to old people/people with major diseases like Parkinson's. poo poo can go all the way downhill in a matter of hours, from fine to deathbed.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
:rip: to the Greatest

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Ali Bomaye

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Rest well, GOAT.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohyAOWebsI

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The single biggest celebrity the world of sports has ever seen.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Greatest of all time indeed

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/AwfulJack/status/738951850377019392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
gently caress 2016 :(

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The list of athletes whose death would warrant page A1 above the fold is small. Ali trumps them all. Among living athletes only Jordan could compare, and half his celebrity is branding.Ali was on the cover of magazines as a political activist. The man was truly larger than life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

The list of athletes whose death would warrant page A1 above the fold is small. Ali trumps them all. Among living athletes only Jordan could compare, and half his celebrity is branding.Ali was on the cover of magazines as a political activist. The man was truly larger than life.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Turn on ESPN. Awesome coverage.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
This year loving sucks. RIP to one of my heros.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

A few months back I re watched the Foreman fight. I know the legend is that he angered Foreman and then let him punch himself out but Ali really did have control of that fight from the beginning. When boxing is called the Sweet Science it's easy to ask how is punching someone is (A) sweet and (B) a science but with Ali it was true. His wit and his intelligence were his greatest weapons. RIP dude.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

beejay posted:

That happens to old people/people with major diseases like Parkinson's. poo poo can go all the way downhill in a matter of hours, from fine to deathbed.

It's interesting watching that 30 For 30 with Ali and Larry Holmes because you could tell he was already tucked up by 1980.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man, Wilbon has his problems and says dumb poo poo occasionally, but his stuff on Ali now on ESPN is great.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Dexo posted:

Man, Wilbon has his problems and says dumb poo poo occasionally, but his stuff on Ali now is great.

For all its poo poo ESPN has been loving amazing the last hour.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am just gonna say it, Ali was the most important athlete in American history

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Need a Barkley tribute now.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

:smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am just gonna say it, Ali was the most important athlete in American history

Duh?

The only ones in the same stratosphere are Jessie Owens and Jackie Robinson.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Dexo posted:

Duh?

Jordan and Babe Ruth. But yeah pretty much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

Jordan and Babe Ruth. But yeah pretty much.

In Terms of Importance and fame, Babe Ruth doesn't belong in that group.

Jordan probably makes it in terms of fame because he was the athlete who had such amazing branding and marketing dollars put behind him.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Even in death Ali was telling racist America to suck his dick

Dexo posted:

Duh?

I wouldn't even put Owens and Robinson in the same category. loving Ali man. loving Ali.

• Locked thread