Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Sorry bros not everyone lives in the social justice bubble of SAS. You absolutely are going to find a ton of people who think Jordan is more important than Robinson and will think you're crazy af for not thinking the same way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Sorry bros not everyone lives in the social justice bubble of SAS. You absolutely are going to find a ton of people who think Jordan is more important than Robinson and will think you're crazy af for not thinking the same way.

Social

Justice

Bubble

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Doltos posted:

You're all insane. Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan were absolutely more important athletes than Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson in the Americana view of professional athletes. 90% of America could probably name those two athletes alongside Muhammed Ali. Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson took great leaps forward for the cause of black athletes in professional sports but they were hardly the activists that Ali was and hardly the personalities of Jordan or Ruth.

Babe Ruth spawned the modern superstar. Michael Jordan was the most iconic figure of the 1990s including world leaders and pop culture artists. Dude was almost as big as Michael Jackson around the world, and that was probably really close. A case could even be made to put Gretzky ahead of Owens and Robinson. It sucks, yeah, but sports fans in America care more about fame than social change. Muhammed Ali happened to have both in spades which is why he's the #1 undisputed GOAT in American sports and probably around the world (although there is an argument for various soccer stars over the years, most notably Pele).

When people think of great historical figures and heroic legacies, they think Michael Jackson.

Ali is #1 in North America, #1 around the world with Pele at #2, Wayne Gretzky was greater than Jordan.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Doltos posted:

Importance and fame are STILL not the same thing no matter how much you pretend.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Doltos posted:

You'll also find a ton of people that think the Kardashians are compelling television stars.

It doesn't make them right.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

it's a testament to ali's greatness that a bunch of people who never saw him fight are willing to vociferously defend him

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the most important athlete is Carmelo Anthony because he's the first digital athlete

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Doltos posted:

farrrrrrrrttttttttttttttttt

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
"It's not bragging if you can back it up."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

zakharov posted:

farrrrrrrrttttttttttttttttt

Zak shut up you're the biggest weiner

straight up brolic posted:

it's a testament to ali's greatness that a bunch of people who never saw him fight are willing to vociferously defend him

youtube and .gifs

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Doltos, does Ric Flair being a 15-time world champion degrade Ali's mere three times being world champ?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the most important athlete is Carmelo Anthony because he's the first digital athlete

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jason Pierre-Paul is more important because he is the first digitless athlete

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZZmkNo6-o

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AsInHowe posted:

Doltos, does Ric Flair being a 15-time world champion degrade Ali's mere three times being world champ?

No, Ric Flair's social change trumps Ali's. Look at how many girls now wear those sexy rear end 1980's leggings because of him

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A lot of people can name Jordan but I think that's by virtue of him being active in the last 20 years (and a lot of millennials seeing Space Jam).

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

why don't you guys post about Ali instead of arguing about the semantics of fame and importance?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

why don't you guys post about Ali instead of arguing about the semantics of fame and importance?

welcome to SAS

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jason Pierre-Paul is more important because he is the first digitless athlete

JPP has nothing on Alex Zanardi.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Gretzky was greater than Jordan

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ali's most underrated aspect was his ability to say a lot with a little. His speeches weren't great because he rhymed and talked trash, they were great because he could paint amazing pictures with simple metaphors and similes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Doltos posted:

You'll find people who say Donald Trump is more important than Robinson, that doesn't make it so.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Realised today that there was only a three year gap between Ali (finally) retiring and Mike Tyson turning pro, which is crazy. They seem like eons apart.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sad to see him go, I don't care much for boxing but he was much bigger than that.

Also I see Daltos going full Daltos which seems inappropriate.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There's an argument to be made, and I don't know my position on it, that Jordan's impact on the world of professional sports was greater (in scope, obviously, not ethically) than Robinson or Owens'.

Ali is obviously #1, and it would take a world-shifting event for anyone else to even have an opportunity to be as impactful.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Gretzky was greater than Jordan

Certainly comes off as a better person.

What's the best book about Ali?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

GeneX posted:

There's an argument to be made, and I don't know my position on it, that Jordan's impact on the world of professional sports was greater (in scope, obviously, not ethically) than Robinson or Owens'.

Ali is obviously #1, and it would take a world-shifting event for anyone else to even have an opportunity to be as impactful.

I think Robinson breaking the color barrier was an unbelievable impact on professional sports in the same vein as Ali's talk about Vietnam and racism in America. Only issue is Robinson was also a conservative republican who voted for Nixon and was all for the Vietnam war, so it's a little confusing to me when people here are praising his activism when he was really main lining traditional values of the era. Owens also wasn't really an activist at all and was fighting the much realer fight of getting paid so he could eat. I'm sure if he was in Ali's era he'd have had an easier personal life which would have allowed him to fight for his causes, but even then he was also clearly on record saying he didn't support the black panther salute at the Olympics.

So taking activism out of it, which was just one part of what made Ali the GOAT, if we're talking about pure impacts on sports I don't see how Robinson or Owens equals the other huge names of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Soccer, and Boxing. I just don't see it. Apparently that makes me worse than Hitler again.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Tyson better as a fighter but Ali had a hell of a life. What an athlete.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ugh Gretz personally enforced Stephen loving Harper during our last election and will forever be tainted with that brush.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This is a good starter packet of articles.

https://theringer.com/muhammad-ali-syllabus-read-watch-video-174a6bea681a#.m1qv1viib

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Doltos posted:

I think Robinson breaking the color barrier was an unbelievable impact on professional sports in the same vein as Ali's talk about Vietnam and racism in America. Only issue is Robinson was also a conservative republican who voted for Nixon and was all for the Vietnam war, so it's a little confusing to me when people here are praising his activism when he was really main lining traditional values of the era. Owens also wasn't really an activist at all and was fighting the much realer fight of getting paid so he could eat. I'm sure if he was in Ali's era he'd have had an easier personal life which would have allowed him to fight for his causes, but even then he was also clearly on record saying he didn't support the black panther salute at the Olympics.

So taking activism out of it, which was just one part of what made Ali the GOAT, if we're talking about pure impacts on sports I don't see how Robinson or Owens equals the other huge names of the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Soccer, and Boxing. I just don't see it. Apparently that makes me worse than Hitler again.

No one is saying you are worse than Hitler. I agree with you, of course the average American person is more likely to know who Gretzky or Michael Jordan is compared to Jesse Owens. The former are clearly much more famous. Johnny Manziel is more famous than Jesse Owens.

But it's just...that's a stupid, worthless point to make.

And yeah, Owens and Robinson weren't focused on activism primarily. But again, who cares? What is your point? What is "pure impact on sports" and why are you trying to rank athletes on such a dumbass metric.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

nature6pk posted:

Ugh Gretz personally enforced Stephen loving Harper during our last election and will forever be tainted with that brush.

Yeah, I was as disappointed as you were by that, but not completely surprised given Gretz's wealth.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 4, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

And? I don't give a poo poo, There were tons of people who believed Vietnam. In that particular Time and space I completely understand supporting it. And the Black Panthers are still a debate , so yeah back then I completely understand it. I don't need some perfect athlete to embody every thing perfectly that I never disagree with.

It's why I don't get mad at people who supported the various crime bills in the 90s, or supported the Iraq war. In that particular time and place I completely understand supporting it. My anger is directed at the government who lied and manipulated people into said war.

If you wanna be honest Ali was a gigantic piece of poo poo to Fraizer and others with some of the offensive things he said. People are a mix of their flaws and successes.

Also if you don't think loving Jackie Robinson has a greater impact on sports than loving Gretzky or Babe Ruth you are a loving idiot and I am done responding to anything you have to say.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, I love Wayne and he's been a great ambassador for the sport but Jackie's more important.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pron on VHS posted:

And yeah, Owens and Robinson weren't focused on activism primarily. But again, who cares? What is your point? What is "pure impact on sports" and why are you trying to rank athletes on such a dumbass metric.

Because everyone else was for two pages?

Dexo posted:

Also if you don't think loving Jackie Robinson has a greater impact on sports than loving Gretzky or Babe Ruth you are a loving idiot and I am done responding to anything you have to say.

Sorry for having a different opinion than you Dexo. I didn't know you were so sensitive. Also love how you dropped Jordan or any other black athlete out of your example.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus just stop with the comparisons already. Arguing over whose more important, for gently caress's sake who cares. Can't we celebrate the life that Ali led? He was inspirational to many, including me.

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this is the worst thread in the history of SAS which is saying something

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RIP Muhammad Ali, dead at 74

SAS: Uh, define "dead"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

this is the worst thread in the history of SAS which is saying something

Yeah my bad, I got suckered in.

Anyway :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4mtBYhCScM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

George Chuvalo was floored upon hearing the news. A posthumous Ali says, "Finally."

• Locked thread